Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The one thing 5 could never do
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Birdwatcher
is the touch pass that he lobbed to Sproles, how many times did we watch 5 try and make that kind of play and blow it. 5 had a rocket arm, but did not have the ability to pull off the soft touch pass. I remember the early day of McNabb very well, and he did elevate the whole team, but this kid looks like he has much more potential.
mcnabbulous
He's clearly a much more natural passer than Donnie.

When McNabb was young, it seemed as though he was coming into the league just as it was going to transition into a more hybrid passing/running threat league. There are some small examples of that, but the past 15 years have proven this league is still setup for pure passers. Donnie could never quite capitalize on that.

I think Wentz will be able to take it to the next level.
Joegrane
I liked #5 but he did not have the "repetitive accuracy" that we are seeing from CW.

CW is mobile but does not have the strength and running ability of #5. I'll take accuracy plus mobility over running ability in a QB.

QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 26 2016, 11:46 AM) *
He's clearly a much more natural passer than Donnie.

When McNabb was young, it seemed as though he was coming into the league just as it was going to transition into a more hybrid passing/running threat league. There are some small examples of that, but the past 15 years have proven this league is still setup for pure passers. Donnie could never quite capitalize on that.

I think Wentz will be able to take it to the next level.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Sep 26 2016, 04:04 PM) *
I liked #5 but he did not have the "repetitive accuracy" that we are seeing from CW.

CW is mobile but does not have the strength and running ability of #5. I'll take accuracy plus mobility over running ability in a QB.

I was worried about Wentz's accuracy, but it seems as though our QB heavy coaching staff has fixed some mechanical issues to elevate that part of his game.
Zero
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Sep 26 2016, 05:04 PM) *

When you say "CW" this is what comes into my head.
nephillymike
5 never had the mastery of the offense, even after ten plus years in it, to audible effectively.

That is such a huge advantage.

Pedey gets the play in with 20 seconds and then let's the Kid mess with the D's mind.

And he's played three games.
Cowboyhater
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Sep 26 2016, 10:04 PM) *

Nice post.

Really just wanted to see if my avatar still worked.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 26 2016, 07:47 PM) *
5 never had the mastery of the offense, even after ten plus years in it, to audible effectively.

That is such a huge advantage.

Pedey gets the play in with 20 seconds and then let's the Kid mess with the D's mind.

And he's played three games.

oops....seems Marty disagreed with you....

Per Marty Mornhinweg:
... much of the session focused on Donovan McNabband Kevin Kolb. Mornhinweg lauded both, but also talked about how his job is to play to the quarterback’s strength. For example, he said the Eagles used more no-huddle because one of McNabb’s weaknesses was getting the team from the huddle to the line of scrimmage. In turn, he said one of McNabb’s strength was using the audible system. He said McNabb was equal to Steve Young in that regard, but not as good as Brett Favre.

Nut what did he know...lol

Why is it in Philly some people need to build up one guy by beating up on another....McNabb was a great QB who took his team to a lot of playoff games....Wentz looks like a great QB who has a pretty good team around him, a team that has a lot of the same guys who went 10-6 twice under Chip Kelly. Enjoy Wentz for Wentz....not what he can or can't do vs. McNabb.
D Rock
Supa5's biggest problem was Supa5. Dood was a head case from the jump. Now, he's a fat, drunken, head case.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (D Rock @ Sep 26 2016, 11:15 PM) *
Supa5's biggest problem was Supa5. Dood was a head case from the jump. Now, he's a fat, drunken, head case.

I agree he is a dick now but his first 5 years here he was decent in the head....the year after the SB he went to hell in a handbasket
D Rock
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 27 2016, 03:22 AM) *
I agree he is a dick now but his first 5 years here he was decent in the head....the year after the SB he went to hell in a handbasket

To my eyes, it started earlier than that. After year 2 he seemed motivated by nothing more than a want to prove he wasn't a "running QB." That's when he bulked up and stopped being entertaining to watch.
Rick
This was my only (minor) complaint I had about Wentz in the first 2 games. There were a few times where he didn't use the touch pass when he should have (a couple of potential TD passes as well). Seems he worked on it because he had it down on Sunday.

This kid is exciting to watch. Will be fun to watch him get better as he matures in the NFL.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 26 2016, 09:44 PM) *
oops....seems Marty disagreed with you....

Per Marty Mornhinweg:
... much of the session focused on Donovan McNabband Kevin Kolb. Mornhinweg lauded both, but also talked about how his job is to play to the quarterback’s strength. For example, he said the Eagles used more no-huddle because one of McNabb’s weaknesses was getting the team from the huddle to the line of scrimmage. In turn, he said one of McNabb’s strength was using the audible system. He said McNabb was equal to Steve Young in that regard, but not as good as Brett Favre.

Nut what did he know...lol

Why is it in Philly some people need to build up one guy by beating up on another....McNabb was a great QB who took his team to a lot of playoff games....Wentz looks like a great QB who has a pretty good team around him, a team that has a lot of the same guys who went 10-6 twice under Chip Kelly. Enjoy Wentz for Wentz....not what he can or can't do vs. McNabb.

Source or link?
nephillymike
RF, link?
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 28 2016, 08:03 PM) *
RF, link?

Here you go...

How to Defend Against DMc
Pila
QUOTE (Phits @ Sep 29 2016, 01:01 AM) *

What popped out of that piece for me was how well the praise for Kolb then mirrrors today's praises for Wentz. That was sobering.
Joegrane
Sobering because Kolb had a strange vulnerability to concussion.

Also Sam B had a decent rookie season but later had injury problems.

C W has not played many games at QB in his life and those games have been against physically smaller defenders. Who knows what will happen if or when both L Johnson and J Peters are not available on the O Line. CW could take a pounding. He already had one injury in his first game of the preseason!

Kolb had more weapons at WR and RB and did not have the physical gifts that CW has.

QUOTE (Pila @ Sep 29 2016, 09:50 AM) *
What popped out of that piece for me was how well the praise for Kolb then mirrrors today's praises for Wentz. That was sobering.

Pila
I feel better now, thank you.
mcnabbulous
Kolb was air raid trash
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 29 2016, 01:18 PM) *
Kolb was air raid trash

I think you could have left it at "Kolb was trash". Air Raid had nothing to do with it.....he was a bad pick not a convenient excuse. On top of his limited ability he was physically limited to deal with the rigors of the NFL.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 29 2016, 02:49 PM) *
I think you could have left it at "Kolb was trash". Air Raid had nothing to do with it.....he was a bad pick not a convenient excuse. On top of his limited ability he was physically limited to deal with the rigors of the NFL.

Well, he never looked comfortable playing in a pro system. Had zero pocket awareness. I believe that had something to do with never having any experience with it in his high school or college career.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Phits @ Sep 28 2016, 08:01 PM) *

Thank you for the link.

That's interesting to me because I never remember McNabb as a good audibler. I remember him on occasion, telling a numb nutz WR like Freddie to go to the other side of the formation like he should. The audibles I remember him doing were a time or two a game, yelling an audible and patting his thigh and handing it off to the RB to run to the side he patted. That's it.

I know this is a stretch, but I wonder if Marty was blowing smoke so that the Skins would believe he was a quick study and suffer because of his lack of skill in that area. The result was he couldn't learn the playbooks of either WAS or MIN, and getting ripped by the coaches because of it.

Does anyone remember McNabb doing a Wentz and calling the game at the line redirecting players and audiblizing like that?

I don't, I really don't.
mcnabbulous
I remember Donnie having success checking to runs and changing the play direction, but nothing like what we've seen from Wentz already.

Truly dissecting the defense and managing the game from the line. It feels like the sky is the limit.
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 29 2016, 09:17 PM) *
Does anyone remember McNabb doing a Wentz and calling the game at the line redirecting players and audiblizing like that?

Keep in mind that Wentz has demonstrated (in a short time) to have a great deal more football acumen than expected. His ability to work the line, at this stage in his career, seems revolutionary. I expect (hope) that this ability can only get better.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Sep 30 2016, 09:15 AM) *
Keep in mind that Wentz has demonstrated (in a short time) to have a great deal more football acumen than expected.

Not by several of the people that watched him extensively through the draft process and our coaching staff.

Mayock was beating that drum pretty substantionally.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 30 2016, 09:24 AM) *
Not by several of the people that watched him extensively through the draft process and our coaching staff.

Mayock was beating that drum pretty substantionally.

Yep.

Mayock had him very high.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.