Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This is a game everyone picked as an L ... but what if
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
It was just the Browns. It was just the Bears. Now, it's the Steelers. Most of us are just hoping for a good showing and no injuries. A learning process. They'll lose, but will they stand toe-to-toe with a real contender. This will be the game that shows us what we can expect for the future. How will Arson Wentz do against a playoff defense? How will our secondary hold up to a championship offense? How will DPede coach against a SB winner?

But, how will we all react if the Eagles pull out a W? Will there be enough band wagons for the Eagle Empire? What if DPede cooks up a game plan that puts the Pitt on their heels and Arson continues his veteran-like performance? What if Schwartzee has his beasts create enough pressure on Roethlisberger to actually protect his suspect CBs and the LBs control their running game enough to limit the damage?

All we know is that the Eagles have outperformed our expectations so far. They've beaten bad teams .. right? Now they play a good team .. right? Will the Philadelphia skyline look different Monday morning with all the woodies poking through the clouds or will we just sit back and feel good about the team's future because they had a good showing against clearly a better team?

I want a fucking woodie! laugh.gif
xsv
QUOTE (Zero @ Sep 22 2016, 07:08 AM) *
It was just the Browns. It was just the Bears. Now, it's the Steelers. Most of us are just hoping for a good showing and no injuries. A learning process. They'll lose, but will they stand toe-to-toe with a real contender. This will be the game that shows us what we can expect for the future. How will Arson Wentz do against a playoff defense? How will our secondary hold up to a championship offense? How will DPede coach against a SB winner?

But, how will we all react if the Eagles pull out a W? Will there be enough band wagons for the Eagle Empire? What if DPede cooks up a game plan that puts the Pitt on their heels and Arson continues his veteran-like performance? What if Schwartzee has his beasts create enough pressure on Roethlisberger to actually protect his suspect CBs and the LBs control their running game enough to limit the damage?

All we know is that the Eagles have outperformed our expectations so far. They've beaten bad teams .. right? Now they play a good team .. right? Will the Philadelphia skyline look different Monday morning with all the woodies poking through the clouds or will we just sit back and feel good about the team's future because they had a good showing against clearly a better team?

I want a fucking woodie! laugh.gif

Injuries not-withstanding, this is obviously not a 5 or 6 win team. At this point, we're more likely to be a 8 or 9 win team.

And if we're a 8 or 9 win team, then we have a decent shot against a very good team this Sunday. Win this game, and I'll expect the playoffs.
mcnabbulous
I just want us to be competitive. If we accomplish that, I think I'll walk away satisfied.

My only real disappointment will be if we get torched.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 22 2016, 10:01 AM) *
I just want us to be competitive. If we accomplish that, I think I'll walk away satisfied.

"gulp".......perfectly stated.....(god that hurt!!!)lol
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 22 2016, 09:18 AM) *
"gulp".......perfectly stated.....(god that hurt!!!)lol

Keep in mind I added the caveat that I think I'll be satisfied. I'm sure to be far less reasonable during the game.
Reality Fan
The Steelers have a good offense but they have a terrible secondary. Maybe DP has been hiding DGB for this game.
Dreagon
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 22 2016, 09:01 AM) *

This is the right sentiment.

The Steelers destroyed the Redskins and the Bengals. People knew they were good when the season started but right now they are playing at a championship level. If they keep this up, this might be their year. So anything other than a torching is reason to take heart.
D Rock
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 22 2016, 03:32 PM) *
The Steelers have a good offense but they have a terrible secondary. Maybe DP has been hiding DGB for this game.

They were bad last year. This year, they haven't given up squat.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (D Rock @ Sep 22 2016, 11:15 AM) *
They were bad last year. This year, they haven't given up squat.

Except the 2nd most passing yards against through 2 games and that is with a game played last week in terrible conditions. The only team to have more passing yards against is the Raiders. They have given up back to back 300+ yard games.

Add to that the beat writer for the Steelers was just on CSN last night talking about how bad their secondary is.....this year.

So I am not sure what you define squat as but their secondary is not good.
Pila
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 22 2016, 02:20 PM) *
Keep in mind I added the caveat that I think I'll be satisfied. I'm sure to be far less reasonable during the game.

Yeah, those always seem to be the pre-game conditions to tamper with possible disappointment. Then the game starts.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Pila @ Sep 22 2016, 11:42 AM) *
Yeah, those always seem to be the pre-game conditions to tamper with possible disappointment. Then the game starts.

Ain't that the truth.....
D Rock
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 22 2016, 04:39 PM) *
Except the 2nd most passing yards against through 2 games and that is with a game played last week in terrible conditions. The only team to have more passing yards against is the Raiders. They have given up back to back 300+ yard games.

Add to that the beat writer for the Steelers was just on CSN last night talking about how bad their secondary is.....this year.

So I am not sure what you define squat as but their secondary is not good.

1 passing TD in 2 games.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (D Rock @ Sep 22 2016, 12:28 PM) *
1 passing TD in 2 games.

and 695 yards in 2 games, 1 of them in the rain.

The secondary sucks, again, their own beat writer says "they are terrible"....their line and LBs are not bad so they are tough to run on, almost impossible so far.
Pila
They got some big mothers on their front 7. If Wentz isn't protected, he could get a boo-boo. Pedey might wanna be a bit more conservative with the protection schemes in this game.
nephillymike
I don't think this is an automatic loss by any stretch.

I give us a 40% shot and if our WR crew doesn't drop a crucial pass like normal, I say it's a 50-50 toss up.

But, I'm trying to be laid back, calm and go into it with a "we got nothing to lose attitude" and just enjoy it for the love of the game.

Peaceful, easy feeling................

I got this all figured out!
nephillymike
PITT has lost at our stadium the last eight times we've played.

Their last win in Philly was October 1965.

Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 22 2016, 08:56 PM) *
I don't think this is an automatic loss by any stretch.

I give us a 40% shot and if our WR crew doesn't drop a crucial pass like normal, I say it's a 50-50 toss up.

But, I'm trying to be laid back, calm and go into it with a "we got nothing to lose attitude" and just enjoy it for the love of the game.

Peaceful, easy feeling................

I got this all figured out!

The big challenge if for the Eagles to figure out how to get the running game moving against this team.
Rick
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 22 2016, 11:17 PM) *

So they are due for a win...

I'm less concerned about the Eagles' offense than I am about the defense. That secondary is still swiss cheese back there. If they can't get pressure on the big R, it could be a long afternoon/evening for that defense...
Zero
QUOTE (Rick @ Sep 23 2016, 07:07 AM) *
That secondary is still swiss cheese back there.

I wouldn't call it swiss cheese. Definitely challenged and suspect but aside from a couple of big plays they'd held their own, mostly because of the pressure, but still held on.
Rick
QUOTE (Zero @ Sep 23 2016, 08:26 AM) *
I wouldn't call it swiss cheese. Definitely challenged and suspect but aside from a couple of big plays they'd held their own, mostly because of the pressure, but still held on.

Sorry, but they are Swiss cheese still. Guys are still running open in the secondary. If the Browns could have caught a ball or two, that game would have been closer. If the defensive line hadn't gotten pressure against the Bears, things might have been different. You can't expect the D line to get pressure all of the time. The secondary needs to bail the line out from time to time. This secondary looks almost as bad as it's looked over the past few years.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Rick @ Sep 23 2016, 10:11 AM) *
Sorry, but they are Swiss cheese still. Guys are still running open in the secondary. If the Browns could have caught a ball or two, that game would have been closer. If the defensive line hadn't gotten pressure against the Bears, things might have been different. You can't expect the D line to get pressure all of the time. The secondary needs to bail the line out from time to time. This secondary looks almost as bad as it's looked over the past few years.

Besides the fact that the Eagles have given up the 4th fewest passing yards saying the Browns culd have caught more balls is silly....3 of their catches were circus catches and the one long ball to Jeffries was a blown assignment by the safety which rarely happens with Jenkins. The secondary is not great but they have been good.
D Rock
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 23 2016, 04:01 PM) *
Besides the fact that the Eagles have given up the 4th fewest passing yards saying the Browns culd have caught more balls is silly....3 of their catches were circus catches and the one long ball to Jeffries was a blown assignment by the safety which rarely happens with Jenkins. The secondary is not great but they have been good.

That may be a bi product of playing the fewest snaps in the league. I'd be interested to see passing yards per play, if such a defensive stat existed.

I think the idea that the Browns game could have gone the other way if they caught a few of those very catchable balls in the 1st quarter has some merit. We got lucky with at least 3 drops from wide open receivers on big 3rd downs in the early phases of that contest.

Also, the Jeffries play was the rookie biting on the double move. Badly. Gruden pointed it out in the broadcast, saying "he took the cheese" which I know is your idea of "definitive proof."
D Rock
Double post.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (D Rock @ Sep 23 2016, 11:14 AM) *
That may be a bi product of playing the fewest snaps in the league. I'd be interested to see passing yards per play, if such a defensive stat existed.

I think the idea that the Browns game could have gone the other way if they caught a few of those very catchable balls in the 1st quarter has some merit. We got lucky with at least 3 drops from wide open receivers on big 3rd downs in the early phases of that contest.

Also, the Jeffries play was the rookie biting on the double move. Badly. Gruden pointed it out in the broadcast, saying "he took the cheese" which I know is your idea of "definitive proof."

First, Jeffries certainly burned Mills with the double post but Jenkins admitted he should have been there and Mills was playing aggressive because he was supposed to have over the top help. No question he bit on it, there is no doubt about it but are you saying that the defensive plan was to have a rookie play man against one of the top deep threats with no help?

Second......you can say "could of" or "should of" about the same thing about our Eagles.....drops are part of the game...every game, every team, every situation
D Rock
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 23 2016, 07:01 PM) *
First, Jeffries certainly burned Mills with the double post but Jenkins admitted he should have been there and Mills was playing aggressive because he was supposed to have over the top help. No question he bit on it, there is no doubt about it but are you saying that the defensive plan was to have a rookie play man against one of the top deep threats with no help?

Not saying he was necessarily in 1 on 1 coverage. Just saying that he bit SO hard that Jenkins would have had to be in bracket coverage as opposed to the more common shade-over-the-top coverage to be there.
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 23 2016, 07:01 PM) *
Second......you can say "could of" or "should of" about the same thing about our Eagles.....drops are part of the game...every game, every team, every situation

This is true. I'm saying that the previous poster's argument is not without merit. You dismissed it outright. I personally think you were wrong in doing so.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (D Rock @ Sep 23 2016, 02:21 PM) *
Not saying he was necessarily in 1 on 1 coverage. Just saying that he bit SO hard that Jenkins would have had to be in bracket coverage as opposed to the more common shade-over-the-top coverage to be there.

This is true. I'm saying that the previous poster's argument is not without merit. You dismissed it outright. I personally think you were wrong in doing so.

The ball was thrown under duress and 3-4 seconds after the snap and thrown 50 yards...Jenkins did not need to bracket him...he just needed to recognize that Jeffries was a deep threat and sty close enough to close...not a big deal, mistakes happen and Mills certainly screwed up there.....at the end of the day the secondary has been pretty decent.

Sunday will be another step up in competition but the Bears had good WRs.
Rick
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 23 2016, 11:01 AM) *

So, Wentz ONLY beat the Browns and Bears but the defense did a great job against those same sub-par teams and you're pointing at that as an example of how good they are? Gotcha....
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Rick @ Sep 23 2016, 06:04 PM) *
So, Wentz ONLY beat the Browns and Bears but the defense did a great job against those same sub-par teams and you're pointing at that as an example of how good they are? Gotcha....

Did I say a word about Wentz"only" beating the Bears? The Bears have a decent defense. Nice leap there junior. The Bears have 2 highly regarded WRs and they did reasonably well against them. I am not the dumbass who made a foolish reference....if the defense had a "swiss cheese" secondary then there would have been a lot more yards thrown against them. I did not say they were great, another screwy leap, I said they have played well.

Try to stick with what is said here and not those voices in your head.
nephillymike
I saw on whatifsports that they give the Eagles a paltry 26% chance of winning this week, which is the lowest win probability for home teams this week. sad.gif
The Franchise
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 22 2016, 10:17 PM) *

rolleyes.gif

I remember something similar said about a warm weather team about to come into our house on a cold day for a very important game once.....

If we even come close to winning I'll call us a 9-10 win team. If we keep it watchable for most of the game and end up losing by 14-20 points I'll still be happy. Just no 40 point blowouts.
Joegrane
Well said. If they keep it fairly close and loose 24-17 I'll be okay with that. My gut says it won't be that close but won't be a blow out either.

I hate to repeat but remember, this week's team will not play again until the end of the season. L Johnson's suspension is looming.

QUOTE (The Franchise @ Sep 23 2016, 09:56 PM) *
rolleyes.gif

I remember something similar said about a warm weather team about to come into our house on a cold day for a very important game once.....

If we even come close to winning I'll call us a 9-10 win team. If we keep it watchable for most of the game and end up losing by 14-20 points I'll still be happy. Just no 40 point blowouts.

Rick
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 23 2016, 06:56 PM) *
Did I say a word about Wentz"only" beating the Bears? The Bears have a decent defense. Nice leap there junior. The Bears have 2 highly regarded WRs and they did reasonably well against them. I am not the dumbass who made a foolish reference....if the defense had a "swiss cheese" secondary then there would have been a lot more yards thrown against them. I did not say they were great, another screwy leap, I said they have played well.

Try to stick with what is said here and not those voices in your head.

Hmm, you must be listening to voices praising how well the Eagles secondary did. The Bears were 21-29 against them for 220 yards. That's 72% completion rate. Not very good. Yes, you could say they didn't light up the secondary in this instance but guys are running free in the secondary just like they have been for 5+ years now. The Eagles were able to finally get some pressure on the QB in the 2nd half, which (obviously) helped the secondary. When they don't get that pressure, and the QB has that time to find someone, things don't usually work out well unless they drop the ball like the Browns did in the first half of game 1.

Now, I wasn't at the Bears game so I watched it on TV so I can only see what they show on the broadcast. But I did see a number of receivers open. I was at the Browns game and could see the entire field and guys were very open...by more than a couple of yards.

Is the secondary improved? Probably--tough to tell after 2 games--but they are still not very good at covering people. Antonio Brown is set to have a huge game against that secondary--especially with guys down to injury.

Now, do I expect a secondary to be able to stop the elite receivers? Absolutely not with the people we currently have back there. That's what makes them elite--they can get open on good people as well as the bad. But, I do expect them to be able to cover better than they have over the past 5+ years. I realize they've been trying HARD to improve that secondary so I can't fault the front office. The players have to get it done on the field--they haven't been.

Yes, you can point to these two games and say, "They aren't giving up a lot of yards!" And that's a valid point, however, that does not tell the whole story. They have not faced a great offense like the Steelers have yet. If they can hold the Steelers to 200ish yards in the air, I will be impressed but, unless the guys up front get some pressure, I don't see that happening. I certainly hope I'm wrong on this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.