Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where is DGB???
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Rick
So, more than once in the red zone. They have THE guy they can just chuck it up and let him get after it. And they don't use him!!??

Come on Pedey!!!!
mcnabbulous
Maybe they don't trust him
Joegrane
Maybe he is not learning the system quickly enough. Maybe Agholor is working harder in practice and so is earning more PT.

Maybe they are saving some of his plays for a tougher opponent.

J Huff has also been quiet.

QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 20 2016, 11:13 PM) *
Maybe they don't trust him
Phits
Maybe there's a reason why the Titans traded him for Dennis Kelly.
JeeQ
1. He doesn't get any separation

2. He doesn't use his size effectively

3. I can see why the Titans traded him

I don't believe he's a lost cause but much like our other WRs we're going to see if our coaches are worth the money
Reality Fan
He has made some great catches including the first 4th down play.....I think it is more that he is only here a short time and still learning the offense and they have run a lot of 2 and 3 TE sets.
Rick
The couple of plays he's been on the field he seems to have gotten open. I do remember a play the other night (I believe it was him) and he ran a shit route.

He doesn't need to get separation if you're throwing the fade to him in the end zone. Didn't they do that in preseason and it worked well enough?

Just think Plexiglas Burress. Eli could close his eyes and throw it up in his general direction and he'd go catch it regardless of who was covering him. While he doesn't seem to be as good as PB right now, he certainly can do that (at least). Certainly better than trying to run Sproles up the middle like they kept trying on Monday (Why the hell did they keep trying that anyway? He's not a between the tackles kind of runner...).

Just seems a waste....
mcnabbulous
Spres historically has been fine between the tackles. His size actually gives him a nice ability to hide behind his line and fit through tight holes.

The problem at this point is that he appears to be done as an offensive weapon. Barner and Smallwood should both be taking touches away from him.
Joegrane
Didn't they extend Sproles for next year?

He still looks good in the return game.

QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 21 2016, 09:32 AM) *
Spres historically has been fine between the tackles. His size actually gives him a nice ability to hide behind his line and fit through tight holes.

The problem at this point is that he appears to be done as an offensive weapon. Barner and Smallwood should both be taking touches away from him.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Sep 21 2016, 08:46 AM) *
Didn't they extend Sproles for next year?

He still looks good in the return game.

Not sure about next year. Yeah he looks good on punt returns. Bad on offense.
Pila
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Sep 21 2016, 04:53 AM) *
1. He doesn't get any separation

2. He doesn't use his size effectively

3. I can see why the Titans traded him

I don't believe he's a lost cause but much like our other WRs we're going to see if our coaches are worth the money

Against the Browns on Angholor's TD pass, DGB also had his man beat on the opposite side of the field running the same route. Had the ball been thrown in his direction it would have also resulted in a TD. He's getting separation, I think.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Pila @ Sep 21 2016, 11:07 AM) *
Had the ball been thrown in his direction it would have also resulted in a TD. He's getting separation, I think.

Being open and being where you're supposed to be are two different things. He seems to be doing a good job when targeted, but it's curious he's not being targeted more often.

Will be interesting to see how it progresses, but his reputation is someone who isn't usually reliable within the offense.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 21 2016, 12:20 PM) *
Being open and being where you're supposed to be are two different things. He seems to be doing a good job when targeted, but it's curious he's not being targeted more often.

Will be interesting to see how it progresses, but his reputation is someone who isn't usually reliable within the offense.

I agree...something many did not understand last year.
Pila
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 21 2016, 05:20 PM) *

While that's true, I don't think that's it in this case. I think the priority simply didn't have DGB that high yet in terms of trust, and play design.

That might change because he does have better hands.
Rick
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 21 2016, 12:20 PM) *
but his reputation is someone who isn't usually reliable within the offense.

Regardless of his reputation, they invested something in him so why not give it a shot? He has the tools to be good-great. Will he be? Who knows. But, if they don't use him in situations his body type is very well-suited for, then it's just a waste to have him. He needs to prove that he is unreliable or that he is reliable. At this rate, we'll never know...
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Rick @ Sep 21 2016, 07:03 PM) *
Regardless of his reputation, they invested something in him so why not give it a shot? He has the tools to be good-great. Will he be? Who knows. But, if they don't use him in situations his body type is very well-suited for, then it's just a waste to have him. He needs to prove that he is unreliable or that he is reliable. At this rate, we'll never know...

Well he may prove it daily at practice.

He's still new here. Hopefully it just takes time.
Reality Fan
He is in his 2nd season and has been here a month and had a First and 2nd round established starter pair in place on a team that runs lots of 2 and 3 TE sets. It is no great surprise that they are not rushing him. He got the 3rd most snaps at 33 last week. Wentz needs to throw to him.
mcnabbulous
Nah. Wentz needs to continue what he's doing.

The burden is on DGB to earn that trust. Hopefully it happens, but Wentz shouldn't feel obligated just because he's on the team.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 21 2016, 10:46 PM) *
Nah. Wentz needs to continue what he's doing.

The burden is on DGB to earn that trust. Hopefully it happens, but Wentz shouldn't feel obligated just because he's on the team.

Wentz has been throwing to Ertz and Burton and Matthews and the boys all summer. I am sure, at some point, he will start getting comfortable with DGB. He threw to him on a key 4th down. Pederson must feel good about him since he was on the field for 40% os the snaps.
nephillymike
Trust (noun) - that which results when you catch the fucking ball when it's thrown to you and hits your hands for a touchdown.
Syn. Maclin, Jeremy
Ant. Agholar, Nelson, Matthews, Jordan

Throw the kid the ball. It ain't like he's up against stiff competition. Stiffs, maybe....
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 21 2016, 09:50 PM) *
Wentz has been throwing to Ertz and Burton and Matthews and the boys all summer. I am sure, at some point, he will start getting comfortable with DGB. He threw to him on a key 4th down. Pederson must feel good about him since he was on the field for 40% os the snaps.

Oh I agree that time is the big variable here. Hopefully it comes. Wentz just shouldn't force it if they're not there yet.

Mikey - I would guess it has more to do with a lack of route running trust with regards to DGB.
mcnabbulous
Just saw a tweet where DGB was quoted as saying he has 75-80% of the playbook down. So there's that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.