Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Even better...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Phits
convert turnover into points.
Zero
The frustration in past years of getting turnovers and doing nothing with them. I'm liking Pederson's and Went's aggressive nature. Finally, true foot-on-the-throat mentality.
Pila
Those "gutsy" calls to go for it on 4th down tend to turn into "idiotic" calls when they don't convert. So far they've been gutsy calls. But an idiotic decision is inevitable if he keeps calling 3 a game.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Pila @ Sep 20 2016, 09:27 AM) *
Those "gutsy" calls to go for it on 4th down tend to turn into "idiotic" calls when they don't convert. So far they've been gutsy calls. But an idiotic decision is inevitable if he keeps calling 3 a game.

I tend to disagree. The decision to go for it is almost always statistically the correct choice from a risk/reward perspective. The outcome is irrelevant to the methodology in making that decision.

I'm elated that Doug has shown that mindset already.
Phits
QUOTE (Pila @ Sep 20 2016, 10:27 AM) *

I'm all for 4th down plays on their side of the field, especially in goal line situations. At best it's a score. In the event that the play fails you put the opposition in a tough position.
Pila
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 20 2016, 02:52 PM) *
I tend to disagree. The decision to go for it is almost always statistically the correct choice from a risk/reward perspective. The outcome is irrelevant to the methodology in making that decision.

I'm elated that Doug has shown that mindset already.

I've never made a wrong decision, so I'll wait to see how the next one goes before I express my dis/agreement.
Reality Fan
Inside their 40 I think going for it on 4th and short is always the right idea......outside of that it is almost never the right idea
D Rock
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 20 2016, 06:38 PM) *
Inside their 40 I think going for it on 4th and short is always the right idea......outside of that it is almost never the right idea

Inside the 40 & outside the 30. Once inside the 30, you gotta take the 3 points most of the time. When we went for it on 4th and goal from the 2, I assumed we were doing so because Caleb was hurt. We got lucky that they lined up in the neutral zone. If that doesn't happen, we're grilling Dougie this morning for that call. Again, it appeared the decision was based on Caleb hurting, so I assumed they'd go for 2 point conversion there. I was surprised to see Caleb trot out and nail the PAT.
mcnabbulous
Had we not scored, the Bears are inside their own 1 with a shaky offense against a tenacious defense. I'm fine with the outcome regardless.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 20 2016, 03:42 PM) *
Had we not scored, the Bears are inside their own 1 with a shaky offense against a tenacious defense. I'm fine with the outcome regardless.

Amen...another Gruden observation as well. On the goal line with a 15 point lead in the fourth that is a great call with the way our D was playing. If you don't get it the Bears offense is very limited in what it can call from there.
D Rock
Oh, I "get it." If the Bears don't lineup offside, it would have failed.

I also "get" that the FG there comes with 99%+ certainty and puts a 2 possession game to a 3 possession game.

It was a good call only in that it worked. If they fail to score there, it would be a mistake today. Likely one that wouldn't cost us the game, but a mistake nonetheless.

I love the agressive attitude. I do. But making a 15 point lead an 18 point lead with a chip shot FG is a no brainier despite the perceived ineptitude of the opposing offense.
Rick
This si why I love baseball so much. They base their decisions on the numbers, not on their gut. Every study about going for it on 4th down shows (statistically) teams should do it. Yet we persist in this thought that going for it on 4th down is such a risk.

-->clicky<--

Obviously, there are times you wouldn't want to go for it on 4th down (ahead by less than a score late in the game, etc.) but, the numbers don't lie. I love that Pedey has been going for it. Not going to make it all of the time but the numbers show you will enough times that it makes sense.

While arguably a different game, there is no punting in arena football and they tend to convert at a fairly-high rate.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (D Rock @ Sep 20 2016, 07:03 PM) *
Inside the 40 & outside the 30. Once inside the 30, you gotta take the 3 points most of the time. When we went for it on 4th and goal from the 2, I assumed we were doing so because Caleb was hurt. We got lucky that they lined up in the neutral zone. If that doesn't happen, we're grilling Dougie this morning for that call. Again, it appeared the decision was based on Caleb hurting, so I assumed they'd go for 2 point conversion there. I was surprised to see Caleb trot out and nail the PAT.

Those are good general guidelines. Sometimes those should be adjusted based on the status of the game.
mcnabbulous
Relevant read on Doug's thought process:
http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2016/09/...ss-fourth-down/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.