Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hey RF, Speaking of Making Excuses for QB's.....................
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Sammy Sleeves starts tomorrow night.

How do you think he does this year?

Out of 32 starting QB's, where's his year ending passer rating rank come in?

Is this still his year of no excuses??

One thing that I don't fully understand. Why would he be "thrilled" to go to Minny?

He's in the same situation as I see it. A one year deal with no long term security. Difference is there he's competing with a returning winning QB who is average, while here he would have been competing with a undetermined high draft pick. Now Wentz surprised us all with his quick success, but if you're Sammy, don't you think your odds of being the man are better vs. a Div 1A rookie than an established improving NFL QB, albeit coming off injury. Also, throw in all of the work he put in here with the new coaching staff, the new playbook, his respect from his teammates, moving etc and I would have thought his preference would be to stay here. Unless he thought Wentz would be that good, but even if he did, the Kid wouldn't get his shot until we were out of it or Sammy messed up.

All in all, I don't get the thrilled comments.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 17 2016, 09:18 PM) *
Sammy Sleeves starts tomorrow night.

How do you think he does this year?

Out of 32 starting QB's, where's his year ending passer rating rank come in?

Is this still his year of no excuses??

One thing that I don't fully understand. Why would he be "thrilled" to go to Minny?

He's in the same situation as I see it. A one year deal with no long term security. Difference is there he's competing with a returning winning QB who is average, while here he would have been competing with a undetermined high draft pick. Now Wentz surprised us all with his quick success, but if you're Sammy, don't you think your odds of being the man are better vs. a Div 1A rookie than an established improving NFL QB, albeit coming off injury. Also, throw in all of the work he put in here with the new coaching staff, the new playbook, his respect from his teammates, moving etc and I would have thought his preference would be to stay here. Unless he thought Wentz would be that good, but even if he did, the Kid wouldn't get his shot until we were out of it or Sammy messed up.

All in all, I don't get the thrilled comments.

I still think he will have a good year. He is healthy. His numbers may lag because he missed a game but I get the "thrilled" thing. The fans did not like him leaving VOLUNTARY OTAs.(like that emphasis?lol) He was in a no win situation. He will face none of that in Minny and Minny is expected to go to the playoffs so he is on a better team. He has AP. Decent WRs and a decent line. Bridgewater likely won't be ready to play before next season so he will likely be the starter to begin next year and could hold onto the job beyond that if he plays well. He was better than Bridgewater last year and that was with a bad offense and a beat up line. He has a much better chance there than here. Unless Wentz got hurt in practice he was going to start next year because of his draft spot. Bridgewater was the last pick in the first round and has a much smaller cap hit so they can afford to sit him next year to fully recover.
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 18 2016, 12:28 AM) *
I still think he will have a good year. He is healthy. His numbers may lag because he missed a game but I get the "thrilled" thing. The fans did not like him leaving VOLUNTARY OTAs.(like that emphasis?lol) He was in a no win situation. He will face none of that in Minny and Minny is expected to go to the playoffs so he is on a better team. He has AP. Decent WRs and a decent line. Bridgewater likely won't be ready to play before next season so he will likely be the starter to begin next year and could hold onto the job beyond that if he plays well. He was better than Bridgewater last year and that was with a bad offense and a beat up line. He has a much better chance there than here. Unless Wentz got hurt in practice he was going to start next year because of his draft spot. Bridgewater was the last pick in the first round and has a much smaller cap hit so they can afford to sit him next year to fully recover.

Really? I can see him being "thrilled" to go to a team that doesn't have a QB and it was the way he skipped OTAs that pissed people off, not just that he did it.

The only thing that he could be "thrilled" about would be the possibility that he becomes the starter over Bridgewater .. either because Bridgewater can't make it back or because he is better than Bridgewater even when healthy. That was his point, that he be The Man, not transient and not a backup or an insurance policy.
Joegrane
For this year he is "the man" on a serious playoff contending team. At least he gets to audition himself to the league while on a good team. There is a decent chance he gets to stay next year as well.

He has to say the right thing in Mn. He can't say he wishes he was in Philly.

However he probably is telling the truth. Why would he want to be here on a sub 500 team when he could be on a team that is a serious contender to make a deep playoff run?

Why would he want to be here with an OT who is facing a 10 game suspension?

I'll be looking mostly at his second half numbers. It will take some time to build a rapport with his receivers and to learn the system.

He will have AP in the backfield attracting lots of attention from the opposing D. Hopefully this will allow him to throw fewer passes, be in in more third and short situations, and decrease his risk for injury.

Their very good D will take some pressure off to put up lots of points. Sam will be able to do what he likes to do, dink and dunk and just occasionally take a shot deep.

It will be interesting to see if his turnover rate goes down. The very good D will likely put pressure on him to do so.

His situation is opposite of Wentz's last week. Wentz was going against maybe the worst team in the NFL. Sam is going against one of the best teams and Mn's biggest divisional foe, an unenviable situation. They are also opening a new stadium.

Mn looked bad last week with the backup QB against a sub 500 caliber opponent. It will be interesting to see if they look much better with Sam at QB against a playoff caliber opponent.

Joe

QUOTE (Zero @ Sep 18 2016, 05:53 AM) *
... That was his point, that he be The Man, not transient and not a backup or an insurance policy.

Zero
He would have been The Man here and he had a full offseason and TC to bond with the team and learn the system. I agree he has to say he's happy to be there, my comment was directed at RF. He seems to lose logic when there's no aged barmaid trying to service him.
nephillymike
FWIW, our OL and Receiving corps are rated better than MIN.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 18 2016, 07:05 PM) *
FWIW, our OL and Receiving corps are rated better than MIN.

So all he gains is the color purple and a HOF running back?
nephillymike
Yep.

Let the excuses begin!! devil03.gif
Reality Fan
I lose logic? Z, I know you are getting up there in years and I am just a youngin but seriously? Which team is expected to challenge for their division and be a playoff team? That is not because Bridgewater who had a lesser year than old Sammy. That is because they are seen as a better team and you wonder why he is thrilled?

Hmmm....do I stay with a team whose fans hate me and where I will look over my shoulder all year knowing the number 2 pick is waiting and the fans will call for him the first time I throw an incompletion and most people are saying we will be lucky to be .500 or would I rather play on a team that went deep into the playoffs and I am the guy no matter what...real tough decision.
Phits
AP is having a slow start to the season. That's not a good omen for Sammy.
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 18 2016, 08:57 PM) *
I lose logic? Z, I know you are getting up there in years and I am just a youngin but seriously? Which team is expected to challenge for their division and be a playoff team? That is not because Bridgewater who had a lesser year than old Sammy. That is because they are seen as a better team and you wonder why he is thrilled?

Hmmm....do I stay with a team whose fans hate me and where I will look over my shoulder all year knowing the number 2 pick is waiting and the fans will call for him the first time I throw an incompletion and most people are saying we will be lucky to be .500 or would I rather play on a team that went deep into the playoffs and I am the guy no matter what...real tough decision.

Or, "do I go with a new team and learn a new system with new coaches and new receivers and hope it all fits together or do I stay with the team, players, coaches and system I've been working with all year? Which will give me the best chance to show my worth?" Toss up or resigned I can see, "thrilled" is a stretch.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ Sep 19 2016, 07:06 AM) *
Or, "do I go with a new team and learn a new system with new coaches and new receivers and hope it all fits together or do I stay with the team, players, coaches and system I've been working with all year? Which will give me the best chance to show my worth?" Toss up or resigned I can see, "thrilled" is a stretch.

again...what was the national perspective on the expected future of each team? Which team was expected to go to the playoffs and which was not? Does going to the playoffs seem more likely with the Eagles or the Vikes? Because that is what will show his worth.
JeeQ
QUOTE (Phits @ Sep 18 2016, 06:05 PM) *
AP is having a slow start to the season. That's not a good omen for Sammy.

That ended up being a severe understatement
D Rock
Sleeves certainly out performed all reasonable expectations. He looked amazing, considering he's been in minny for all of 2 weeks.

He took a pounding behind that O-line, but still out did Aaron "mr elite" Rogers.

Good on Sammy. Hopefully he plays well enough to bump up that 2018 draft pick for us.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Sep 19 2016, 10:52 AM) *
Good on Sammy. Hopefully he plays well enough to bump up that 2018 draft pick for us.

I'd rather him play poorly enough to bump up that 2017 draft pick for us.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 19 2016, 04:53 PM) *
I'd rather him play poorly enough to bump up that 2017 draft pick for us.

Touché
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.