Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bradford vs Wentz
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FVURoZOjoso

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/videos/v...af-ba53723e785b

Here's the difference.

One wide open.

One tight coverage.

Both qb's about to get hit.

THAT, you can't teach, and you can't acquire.

PS edited the link to be correct
Reality Fan
and here I thought the difference is one threw the ball 6 yards and the other was throwing it 25 yards but maybe my eyes deceived me....lol I mean it is the same thing, right?
Joegrane
I don't know Mike.

Presnap, Wentz knew he was likely to get an unblocked LB from the A-Gap blitz.

In contrast Sam is winding up to throw and all of a sudden a defender comes around the corner unblocked on a stunt. Sam was likely distracted by that defender, took his eye off the receiver and rushed the throw.

Maybe I've given Wentz too much credit. Maybe more of the blame does belong to the inept Browns.

Look at this screenshot at the snap of the ball.
A-Gap blitz but no press coverage

There is an empty backfield. The LBs predictably plan an A Gap blitz. Yet the Cleveland DBs are not playing press coverage?!

QBs are taught to look for a receiver in the area vacated by the blitzing defender, that would be over the middle.

At the very least the S, Poyer, had to play up and cut off the inside slant, no?

As a DB and with an A-Gap blitz called and empty backfield he is not worried about getting beaten deep. He should be concerned about the bigger Ertz out-muscling him for the ball and for the first down.

If you are Cle, you have to make Wentz throw a fade to DGB or other lower percentage throw

This looks like it was successful largely because of stupid coverage by Cleveland's coaches.

Of course Cle's coaches were probably shocked that Pederson would send his rookie QB out there with an empty backfield! He must REALLY trust that kid!

Wentz did his part to take advantage of the inept Browns. Maybe Pederson gave Wentz permission to call a time out if he did not like what he saw.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 12 2016, 09:50 PM) *
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FVURoZOjoso

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/videos/v...af-ba53723e785b

Here's the difference.

One wide open.

One tight coverage.

Both qb's about to get hit.

THAT, you can't teach, and you can't acquire.

PS edited the link to be correct
Birdman420
I think the right call for wentz in this situation is to call the timeout or to slide ertz in to pass block picking up the blitz.

Maybe it's wentz's call and he's not seeing it or he's playing cocky and/or reckless.

Either way I think Joe is right and I doubt coverage like that are going to present itself with better prepared teams.

We'll see how wentz adjusts to different defenses, because on this down he got lucky without adjusting at all.

His play style reminds me of Joe Namath.
JeeQ
So...

Samantha Badford = No Balls

Carson Wentz = The Essence Of Testicular Fortitude

I'm expecting a more "Rookie" game against the Bears where he throws multiple picks but I'm more than willing to accept him proving me wrong and kicking their ass
Reality Fan
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Sep 13 2016, 10:11 AM) *
So...

Samantha Badford = No Balls

Carson Wentz = The Essence Of Testicular Fortitude

I'm expecting a more "Rookie" game against the Bears where he throws multiple picks but I'm more than willing to accept him proving me wrong and kicking their ass

ummm...did you watch Bradford last year? Did you miss him getting killed time and time again? The guy is gone, relish Wentz. But if you watched the games last year and think that Bradford has no balls you are clueless.
D Rock
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Sep 13 2016, 04:39 AM) *
I don't know Mike.

Presnap, Wentz knew he was likely to get an unblocked LB from the A-Gap blitz.

In contrast Sam is winding up to throw and all of a sudden a defender comes around the corner unblocked on a stunt. Sam was likely distracted by that defender, took his eye off the receiver and rushed the throw.

Maybe I've given Wentz too much credit. Maybe more of the blame does belong to the inept Browns.

Look at this screenshot at the snap of the ball.
A-Gap blitz but no press coverage

There is an empty backfield. The LBs predictably plan an A Gap blitz. Yet the Cleveland DBs are not playing press coverage?!

QBs are taught to look for a receiver in the area vacated by the blitzing defender, that would be over the middle.

At the very least the S, Poyer, had to play up and cut off the inside slant, no?

As a DB and with an A-Gap blitz called and empty backfield he is not worried about getting beaten deep. He should be concerned about the bigger Ertz out-muscling him for the ball and for the first down.

If you are Cle, you have to make Wentz throw a fade to DGB or other lower percentage throw

This looks like it was successful largely because of stupid coverage by Cleveland's coaches.

Of course Cle's coaches were probably shocked that Pederson would send his rookie QB out there with an empty backfield! He must REALLY trust that kid!

Wentz did his part to take advantage of the inept Browns. Maybe Pederson gave Wentz permission to call a time out if he did not like what he saw.

Not always. In that situation, it's not strange to have the DBs play off 5 yards and jump the route. You know he's going 1 step/throw. Especially in the middle of the field where they also have to account for a QB draw.
Joegrane
Maybe you are correct but this pic does not show the DBs jumping the route. It appears to me that the Safety is trying to give away a first down.

Thankfully Wentz stood tall and threw a strike.

He wasn't going to run up the middle against the dual A Gap blitz. I wonder if the L DE was the spy in the event of a roll out to the right or QB keeper to that side. He seemed to be lined up rather wide at presnap.

QUOTE (D Rock @ Sep 13 2016, 12:20 PM) *
Not always. In that situation, it's not strange to have the DBs play off 5 yards and jump the route. You know he's going 1 step/throw. Especially in the middle of the field where they also have to account for a QB draw.
Reality Fan
The DBs could not jump the route....the Eagles are in Quads spread and the LBs are blitzing which leaves the safety in limbo.....he did everything he could butErtz's route became the hot route as soon as both LBs showed blitz....if the safety bit any sooner Ertz just turns his route up...that play was over before Wentz even threw it but he made a nice play in the face of the LB.
xsv
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 13 2016, 09:09 PM) *
The DBs could not jump the route....the Eagles are in Quads spread and the LBs are blitzing which leaves the safety in limbo.....he did everything he could butErtz's route became the hot route as soon as both LBs showed blitz....if the safety bit any sooner Ertz just turns his route up...that play was over before Wentz even threw it but he made a nice play in the face of the LB.

Just out of curiosity, was the level of play by Cleveland on that play below par, in your opinion?

Personally, I don't like the defensive formation they were in, but they got terrific pressure, and the safety, as you said, did everything he possibly couple have.

Seems to me that most of Wentz's great plays this game were like that.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (xsv @ Sep 13 2016, 09:15 PM) *
Just out of curiosity, was the level of play by Cleveland on that play below par, in your opinion?

Personally, I don't like the defensive formation they were in, but they got terrific pressure, and the safety, as you said, did everything he possibly couple have.

Seems to me that most of Wentz's great plays this game were like that.

I think Cleveland did all it could.....the LB almost got there, the safety almost got there...the only thing I think they could have done differently there, in my opinion, was crowd the safety but if Ertz turns his pattern upfield it is a tougher throw but also a possible TD. They probably showed blitz a little too early but Wentz made a great play and Ertz a great catch.
nephillymike
The Kid was 11 for 12 vs the blitz! (Per Jaws/DeCamra film review)
Joegrane
Yes I heard that too. Amazing stat for the kid. How many of those catches were to Ertz who won't likely be available this week?

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 13 2016, 10:50 PM) *
The Kid was 11 for 12 vs the blitz! (Per Jaws/DeCamra film review)

D Rock
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 14 2016, 02:38 AM) *
I think Cleveland did all it could.....the LB almost got there, the safety almost got there...the only thing I think they could have done differently there, in my opinion, was crowd the safety but if Ertz turns his pattern upfield it is a tougher throw but also a possible TD. They probably showed blitz a little too early but Wentz made a great play and Ertz a great catch.

The blitz ers should have gotten big. They went for the hit over the ball. As for the call, I think it was made because he's a rookie. A double A gap blitz when you only need 4 yards is, on it's face, a questionable call. I doubt they call that against Rogers. They were hoping to rattle the rook into a mistake.

Regarding "sitting on the route" that was Assante's go to move when the blitz was on, and generally, what we all learned from JJ a decade ago. But even JJ wouldn't draw up a double A gap blitz in a 4 yard situation, unless he's thinking run.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.