Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wentz/Mathews combo was good
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Birdwatcher
They never played a snap together in preseason, and only practiced with each other for 8 days...HOLY SHIT! These two could be something special once they really get in sync. Then there was Nelson A., that TD catch beating a pro bowl corner was a really good sign, and it looks like Wentz trusts him. DGB and Huff. we'll see, but I think they have the building blocks for a pretty good WR corps, all young and able to grow with Wentz. To those who think DJax would be good with Wentz, maybe so, but why take time away from guys you want to build around for the long run?

Watching the game a second time, Wentz looked even more impressive on several points:

Took some nasty hits after first drive, did not rattle him at all, no happy feet, no head on a swivel that I could see.

His ability to come to the line, read the D, and make adjustments like he did in his first NFL game was pretty amazing, and his choices netted several big plays.

That 4th and 4, he knew there was going to be a free rusher coming at him and saw where the hot read was before the snap, the way he took and fired that ball showed he knew exactly where he was going before he even touched the ball.

Game speed did not affect him, how many rookie QBs just seem slow at first? Donovan was early on, but Wentz never seemed like the speed affected his play, he ran the game like a veteran. Coming from 1AA makes that even more impressive.

The Browns were actually the perfect team to start him, bad enough that the kid had a chance to come out and hone some skills and we could see the potential. I just hope they keep him protected, but most of the hits were on Wentz for holding the ball too long. He has a long way to go, but I'm pretty sure he is not a fluke (aka. Hoying, Kolb, etc.) this kid has all the tools to turn into something special.

Zero
Agree on all. Having the Bears up next makes a very nice one/two opening for him.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Sep 12 2016, 11:16 PM) *
They never played a snap together in preseason, and only practiced with each other for 8 days...HOLY SHIT! These two could be something special once they really get in sync. Then there was Nelson A., that TD catch beating a pro bowl corner was a really good sign, and it looks like Wentz trusts him. DGB and Huff. we'll see, but I think they have the building blocks for a pretty good WR corps, all young and able to grow with Wentz. To those who think DJax would be good with Wentz, maybe so, but why take time away from guys you want to build around for the long run?

Watching the game a second time, Wentz looked even more impressive on several points:

Took some nasty hits after first drive, did not rattle him at all, no happy feet, no head on a swivel that I could see.

His ability to come to the line, read the D, and make adjustments like he did in his first NFL game was pretty amazing, and his choices netted several big plays.

That 4th and 4, he knew there was going to be a free rusher coming at him and saw where the hot read was before the snap, the way he took and fired that ball showed he knew exactly where he was going before he even touched the ball.

Game speed did not affect him, how many rookie QBs just seem slow at first? Donovan was early on, but Wentz never seemed like the speed affected his play, he ran the game like a veteran. Coming from 1AA makes that even more impressive.

The Browns were actually the perfect team to start him, bad enough that the kid had a chance to come out and hone some skills and we could see the potential. I just hope they keep him protected, but most of the hits were on Wentz for holding the ball too long. He has a long way to go, but I'm pretty sure he is not a fluke (aka. Hoying, Kolb, etc.) this kid has all the tools to turn into something special.

Definitely some good chemistry there yesterday. Watching that connection is something I plan to focus on. The Bears saw what we saw and they will do what they can to disrupt that connection on Monday night. How Wentz and the rest of the offense reacts to that will show us a little more about Pedersen and Wentz.
Joegrane
Kolb had the weird concussion problems. He did not have the physical skills of Wentz but probably would have been an average QB had he stayed healthy. You just never know when it comes to quirky health problems.

Any update on Lane Johnson? Any chance the Eagles still have him for the Chi game? I don't expect the Eagles to win many games without LJ.

QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Sep 12 2016, 07:16 PM) *
... He has a long way to go, but I'm pretty sure he is not a fluke (aka. Hoying, Kolb, etc.) this kid has all the tools to turn into something special.

D Rock
Kolb was built like a punter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.