Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Countdown to 2016
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Everybody picks the Eagles to be dregs. Lots of reasons, but miracles can happen baybee!
And now we have an Aggressive defense to watch. Snot-knockin', slobber-splashin' DFUCKINGFENSE!!!
Get yo' popcorn ready! The Wentz bus is in the station and tickets are going fast.
Losers .. stinkin' frickin' LOSERS are the only one's not STOKED!!
Eat shit, Kelly and watch the Eagles FLY and 9ers die!
SUCKS! As in Dallas SUCKS, Giants SUCK and the Deadskins FUCKINGSUCK!

Are you READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?
The Franchise
QUOTE (Zero @ Sep 9 2016, 08:36 AM) *

Watching the game last night at a bar, a Ducks fan asked me what I thought of Chip Kelly's time here. 5 minutes later, he switched seats.

BTW, I think the Broncos will be just fine this year. Wow.
Phits
QUOTE (Zero @ Sep 9 2016, 08:36 AM) *

Why the disdain for Kelly? He is what he is. If anything the hate should be directed to our owner for not appropriately vetting his choice for HC, then for giving him the power to dismantle the franchise and then firing him before his vision was implemented.
JeeQ
QUOTE (Phits @ Sep 9 2016, 09:17 AM) *
Why the disdain for Kelly?

Because I remember a time when we had multiple Pro Bowl players on offense; all drafted right here in Philadelphia

Now we have no pro bowl players on offense
JeeQ

Because I remember a time when we had multiple Pro Bowl players on offense; all drafted right here in Philadelphia

JeeQ

The Franchise
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Sep 9 2016, 01:47 PM) *

cheers.gif

Not to mention the miserable failure that he was led us back to Howie Roseman being the guy in charge.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Zero @ Sep 9 2016, 01:36 PM) *
Everybody picks the Eagles to be dregs. Lots of reasons, but miracles can happen baybee!
And now we have an Aggressive defense to watch. Snot-knockin', slobber-splashin' DFUCKINGFENSE!!!
Get yo' popcorn ready! The Wentz bus is in the station and tickets are going fast.
Losers .. stinkin' frickin' LOSERS are the only one's not STOKED!!
SUCKS! As in Dallas SUCKS, Giants SUCK and the Deadskins FUCKINGSUCK!

Are you READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?

Fuck it, yes - I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Phits
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Sep 9 2016, 01:47 PM) *

How many of those players are still pro bowl players?
Zero
QUOTE (Phits @ Sep 9 2016, 05:48 PM) *
How many of those players are still pro bowl players?

That's not the point. Kelly gave away talent for nada, zip, nothing and near bankrupted the team with players who couldn't play or didn't want to play or were used incorrectly.
Phits
QUOTE (Zero @ Sep 9 2016, 07:18 PM) *
That's not the point. Kelly gave away talent for nada, zip, nothing and near bankrupted the team with players who couldn't play or didn't want to play or were used incorrectly.

Aside from DeSean who else (of merit) fell into that category? Furthermore, if you're the owner and your team is being 'cleaned out' why would you wait until the cupboard is clean in order to stop the malcontent? and if you gave said malcontent the authority to make those changes, why stop it after a single season (of them having full control)?

Sorry. It's on Lurie. Chip was who he is.

The Franchise
QUOTE (Phits @ Sep 9 2016, 09:06 PM) *
Sorry. It's on Lurie. Chip was who he is.

Yes, Lurie hired him and allowed him to have complete control over personnel. And once Chip went to him and said "I'm cutting DeSean Jackson," that should've been the end of the Chip Kelly project.
Zero
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Sep 9 2016, 10:36 PM) *
Yes, Lurie hired him and allowed him to have complete control over personnel. And once Chip went to him and said "I'm cutting DeSean Jackson," that should've been the end of the Chip Kelly project.

Lurie should have just said no to Jackson being cut. Trade him or play him. And "trading" McCoy for Alonso amounted to getting nothing .. that was totally on Kelly.

I agree that the buck stops at the top, Lurie made his share of the mistakes but it was Kelly who thought up the idea of letting a pro-bowl WR go for nothing. Kelly was the one who traded a pro-bowl RB for a LB who was worthless. He was the one who signed a high priced FA CB who couldn't play in their system, who signed a high priced RB who was either done or was used inappropriately hours after signing another FA RB.

Sorry, Phits, Lurie has his part in the blame for sure, but Kelly is the culprit.
Phits
QUOTE (Zero @ Sep 10 2016, 06:07 AM) *
Lurie should have just said no to Jackson being cut. Trade him or play him.

I was less concerned about DJax being released than I was with their inability to retain Maclin as a FA.

And "trading" McCoy for Alonso amounted to getting nothing .. that was totally on Kelly.

Combined with all of his off the field bullsh*t, he also signed a 5 year, $40,000,000 contract with the Buffalo Bills, including a $13,125,000 signing bonus, $26,500,000 guaranteed. Last season McCoy had 895 rushing yards. "Nothing" seems to be the greater value in this scenario.

I agree that the buck stops at the top, Lurie made his share of the mistakes but it was Kelly who thought up the idea of letting a pro-bowl WR go for nothing. Kelly was the one who traded a pro-bowl RB for a LB who was worthless. He was the one who signed a high priced FA CB who couldn't play in their system, who signed a high priced RB who was either done or was used inappropriately hours after signing another FA RB.

- The Maxwell signing was out of necessity, yes he was over paid but it was what the market was dictating.
- The (former) pro-bowl RB is also worthless. Kiko had greater upside and potential value. The fact that he didn't pan out is the issue, not the exchange of players.
- The Murray signing was a colossal screw up. He should have never been signed to the contract he was. However, according to the reports Chip identified the player and Howie negotiated the terms. Murray's (perceived) poor work ethic was not anticipated as was the dramatic decline in performance. We all suspected that he would have had an off-season, but not the shit show that he put on. Of course, his signing was a likely gut reaction to the failed signing of Gore. In hindsight, I suspect Mathews was the real (value) target. Whoever else was going to be signed was the insurance against RM injury history.

Sorry, Phits, Lurie has his part in the blame for sure, but Kelly is the culprit.

Lurie let the power struggle between Howie and Chip get the better of the team.
Zero
QUOTE (Phits @ Sep 10 2016, 11:13 AM) *
I was less concerned about DJax being released than I was with their inability to retain Maclin as a FA.

Combined with all of his off the field bullsh*t, he also signed a 5 year, $40,000,000 contract with the Buffalo Bills, including a $13,125,000 signing bonus, $26,500,000 guaranteed. Last season McCoy had 895 rushing yards. "Nothing" seems to be the greater value in this scenario.

- The Maxwell signing was out of necessity, yes he was over paid but it was what the market was dictating.
- The (former) pro-bowl RB is also worthless. Kiko had greater upside and potential value. The fact that he didn't pan out is the issue, not the exchange of players.
- The Murray signing was a colossal screw up. He should have never been signed to the contract he was. However, according to the reports Chip identified the player and Howie negotiated the terms. Murray's (perceived) poor work ethic was not anticipated as was the dramatic decline in performance. We all suspected that he would have had an off-season, but not the shit show that he put on. Of course, his signing was a likely gut reaction to the failed signing of Gore. In hindsight, I suspect Mathews was the real (value) target. Whoever else was going to be signed was the insurance against RM injury history.

Lurie let the power struggle between Howie and Chip get the better of the team.

I don't want to turn this into a pissing match, and I understand there's naturally different perspectives on everything in life. That said, you asked why and I answered. But ..

Your concern with DJax being released with no compensation is irrelevant. The "no compensation" for a player who has helped a rival's offense quite a bit is very relevant.

It is also very relevant what he got in return for a RB at the top of his game. What he did after he was traded doesn't matter. He traded a top rated RB for a LB coming off of serious injury and the trade didn't work. BAM! Fault GM Kelly. If not traded, McCoy probably would have hit FA and moved on and the team probably would have gotten a third rounder as compensation.

The Maxwell signing was NOT a necessity. The need for a CB who would help the defense improve was important. Crippling the cap and making the secondary worse earns another BAM, bad move.

Kelly thought too much of himself and showed no humility. True, Lurie holds responsibility for hiring him and giving him the rope to hang himself but it was still Kelly that did it and I will forever blame him and flatulate to the west when I hear his name. biggrin.gif
JeeQ
We got a 1st Rounder for Sam Bradford yet you think getting nothing in return for DeSean and McCoy is fair compensation laugh.gif
The Franchise
QUOTE (Zero @ Sep 10 2016, 06:07 AM) *
Lurie should have just said no to Jackson being cut. Trade him or play him. And "trading" McCoy for Alonso amounted to getting nothing .. that was totally on Kelly.

This reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Homer's long lost brother runs a car company, and he allows Homer to design the company's new car model. It's a complete disaster, and the company is ruined. Yes, it's technically Homer's fault, but he never should've been in that position to begin with, and once the warning signs were there, he should've been removed. Hiring Chip was incompetent, giving him that kind of power over personnel was incompetent, and allowing him to execute those moves was gross incompetence. At least we can amuse ourselves by watching arguably the worst owner in sports eat shit now (Jed York).
CT_Eagle
I was lacking motivation for this season all the way up until this morning. Now I am set. Cool beer in hand and watching some of the pre-game stuff has me pumped.

Time to get the next chapter in Eagles history started.

E

A

G

L

E

S

EAGLES!
JeeQ
Fly Eagles Fly

Today is sponsored by a Porterhouse Steak, Jim Beam, and Sam Adams

God Bless America... I stand on one leg while jumping up and down in a circle with my eyes closed, both hands behind my back, while whistling Dixie in salute of the flag

Take that Kap!
The Franchise
I don't think I'll ever get used to watching football while having coffee and toast on the west coast, but I'm excited.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.