Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wentz's size
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
mcnabbulous
Just a random thought I was having.

12 of the last 15 SBs have been won by QBs standing 6'4" or above. I'm totally okay with our FO betting on that number.

It sucks that we don't have a first rounder next year, but we'll be starting a brand new, essentially rookie QB whom I really believe is going to be a stud.

I wish Chip didn't thrash our roster so miserably, but having Wentz really gives us some hope for the future.
Reality Fan
3 guys account for 8 of the 12 wins

As far as size goes there are a lot more Sean Manions and Matt Leinerts out there than Bradys and Mannings.

Wentz has good size and athleticism but there are legions of guys with similar size and quite a few as athletic as him. I have always said that some guys peak in high school, some in college and some in the pros....I am hoping that Wentz is one of the latter. Wile his size and athleticism is not common it is certainly not unique...it is how his head adapts to the speed of the NFL.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 22 2016, 08:19 PM) *

If you don't count China and India, the world has a lot fewer people.

Wentz has good size and athleticism but there are legions of guys with similar size and quite a few as athletic as him.

Very few have the combination.

I have always said that some guys peak in high school, some in college and some in the pros....I am hoping that Wentz is one of the latter. Wile his size and athleticism is not common it is certainly not unique...it is how his head adapts to the speed of the NFL.

I'm not really too worried about the speed of the game. I have bigger concerns about his accuracy. But even still, I think he can get by without being elite in either of those components because of his rare physical attributes. I'd argue his combination of size and athleticism is extremely unique.
Joegrane
After the little I've seen I'm sold on Wentz.

We knew about his size, athleticism, arm strength, above average intellect and at least decent fit an a locker room.

Now we've seen that the guy's got balls and doesn't look overwhelmed by the big stage or NFL caliber talent.

I can't imagine he will be a below average QB unless he develops some unusual injury problem, for example Kevin Kolb's concussion problem or Sammy B's bad luck.

I still don't know if he will be worth all that they gave up for him, however, considering some of the poor first and second round picks of the last 5 yrs, the deal doesn't look so bad.

QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 22 2016, 09:33 PM) *
Very few have the combination.

I'm not really too worried about the speed of the game. I have bigger concerns about his accuracy. But even still, I think he can get by without being elite in either of those components because of his rare physical attributes. I'd argue his combination of size and athleticism is extremely unique.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Aug 22 2016, 08:58 PM) *
I can't imagine he will be a below average QB unless he develops some unusual injury problem, for example Kevin Kolb's concussion problem or Sammy B's bad luck.

This is exactly where I'm at on things. With the exception of not really thinking those injuries were what doomed those guys.

Kolb just never looked comfortable in the pocket. Maybe Sam's injuries have caused him to get jumpy in the pocket, but he just doesn't seem to let the game come to him. Not sure how he looked in St. Louis.

Both of those guys essentially played in Air Raid systems in college. I think that caused their issues more than anything else.

I still don't know if he will be worth all that they gave up for him, however, considering some of the poor first and second round picks of the last 5 yrs, the deal doesn't look so bad.

If he turns out simply being described as a "good" QB, I'd say it was worth it simply because of the positional value. I think he'll be at least that.
Reality Fan
Hahaha....Sammy still does not have issues in the pocket unless you watched a different game last year...he took hit after hit throwing the ball allowing his WRs to get open. In ST Louis he had an O line ranked in the bottom four his first 3 years...every year...and a murders row of worst WRs in the NFL...every year. That is not an excuse, that is fact. I get a kick out of people bemoaning the fact that Wentz played with a bad line in his debut yet that what Bradford had every year. Funny how what is an excuse for one guy is not for the other. The bottom line is that no matter who the QB is if there is crap talent around them then they are not going to be good...that goes for Manning....for Brady...you name it...especially if they change the offense every damn year which they did for Bradford. His line is why he got hurt. Great QBs are not supermen..they make the most of the talent they have but there has to be some talent. McNabb had a good line and RBs and a TE....and eventually TO. Bradford ran the west Coast as a rookie and was ROY doing that and with crap talent.

Kolb was just a mistake. Plain and simple.

As far as his "athleticism and size'....when you look back at the last 10 drafts there are a number of guys who were abject failures with similar features. Wentz seems like a great kid with a good head which is the important factor but a lot of those guys were good guys...we have to hope he has the intangibles.

Joegrane
The Rams also had to go up against good defenses in Seattle and San Fran.

I think Kolb would have been okay if he did not have the concussion problem.

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 22 2016, 11:46 PM) *
Hahaha....Sammy still does not have issues in the pocket unless you watched a different game last year...he took hit after hit throwing the ball allowing his WRs to get open. In ST Louis he had an O line ranked in the bottom four his first 3 years...every year...and a murders row of worst WRs in the NFL...every year. That is not an excuse, that is fact. I get a kick out of people bemoaning the fact that Wentz played with a bad line in his debut yet that what Bradford had every year. Funny how what is an excuse for one guy is not for the other. The bottom line is that no matter who the QB is if there is crap talent around them then they are not going to be good...that goes for Manning....for Brady...you name it...especially if they change the offense every damn year which they did for Bradford. His line is why he got hurt. Great QBs are not supermen..they make the most of the talent they have but there has to be some talent. McNabb had a good line and RBs and a TE....and eventually TO. Bradford ran the west Coast as a rookie and was ROY doing that and with crap talent.

Kolb was just a mistake. Plain and simple.

As far as his "athleticism and size'....when you look back at the last 10 drafts there are a number of guys who were abject failures with similar features. Wentz seems like a great kid with a good head which is the important factor but a lot of those guys were good guys...we have to hope he has the intangibles.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 22 2016, 10:46 PM) *

I'm not gonna waste anymore of my life on the Sam Bradford apology tour. I spent enough time doing that last year.

So I'll defer to you with regards to this long list of physical equivalents to Wentz. EJ Manuel seems like a fairly reasonable example, but I can't think of many others.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 23 2016, 12:10 AM) *
I'm not gonna waste anymore of my life on the Sam Bradford apology tour. I spent enough time doing that last year.

So I'll defer to you with regards to this long list of physical equivalents to Wentz. EJ Manuel seems like a fairly reasonable example, but I can't think of many others.

Colin Kaepernik is an easy one but he is actually more athletic than Wentz...Leinert certainly was as athletic...I will give you a list later when I have time.

And you seem to miss the irony...you don't have time to waste on the Bradford apology tour because you already started the Wentz apology tour. At Least Bradford A) starter as a rookie from day 1 and cool.gif made it through his first training camp without getting hurt......Wentz is already way ahead of him.....lol
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 23 2016, 06:32 AM) *
Colin Kaepernik is an easy one but he is actually more athletic than Wentz...Leinert certainly was as athletic...I will give you a list later when I have time.

Yes, but unfortunately Kaepernick isn't a QB and has never been one. He's an athlete that lines up behind center. In college, exclusively from the pistol formation. Even despite that inability to play the position, his athleticism alone took him too a SB. He's a perfect case study for why I believe Wentz basically can't fail. Thanks!

And Leinert? In the same conversation as Wentz athletically? Not even close.

Granted, Leinart didn't do most of the combine drills, but if he sniffed Wentz's athleticism, he would have:
http://www.mockdraftable.com/player/1861/

http://www.mockdraftable.com/player/6592/
And you seem to miss the irony...you don't have time to waste on the Bradford apology tour because you already started the Wentz apology tour. At Least Bradford A) starter as a rookie from day 1 and cool.gif made it through his first training camp without getting hurt......Wentz is already way ahead of him.....lol

I really can't believe you think starting on day 1 means anything. It literally doesn't mean shit. Most rookies that start haven't earned anything.

For 95% of nfl QBs, experience is the most valuable asset. It's why Peyton Manning threw 28 INTs as a rookie. It's why Donnie was absolutely worthless as a passer his rookie year. Even worse than Tebow.

There are a handful of scenarios where a rookie is the most ready QB on his roster. Those are almost always bad scenarios.

Also, Kaepernick's straight line speed and vertical were better than Wentz, but Carson has him beat is just as good or better nearly everywhere else.

http://www.mockdraftable.com/player/453/

I really think you underestimate just how execellent of an athlete Wentz is. His total package is very rare.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 23 2016, 08:11 AM) *
I really can't believe you think starting on day 1 means anything. It literally doesn't mean shit. Most rookies that start haven't earned anything.

For 95% of nfl QBs, experience is the most valuable asset. It's why Peyton Manning threw 28 INTs as a rookie. It's why Donnie was absolutely worthless as a passer his rookie year. Even worse than Tebow.

There are a handful of scenarios where a rookie is the most ready QB on his roster. Those are almost always bad scenarios.

Also, Kaepernick's straight line speed and vertical were better than Wentz, but Carson has him beat is just as good or better nearly everywhere else.

http://www.mockdraftable.com/player/453/

I really think you underestimate just how execellent of an athlete Wentz is. His total package is very rare.

lol...you completely miss the point...it is not that Bradford started on day one...it is that he did so and did not get hurt as Wentz already has in his first preseason game....you are the one who mentioned injury.

I do not discount how athletic Wentz is...you discount how many athletic, tall QBs there are that do not make it. You make it seem as if most of the QBs who come out are normal athletes....these guys are all freak athletes which is why they get to where they are. Very few guys who start in college are not great athletes.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 23 2016, 07:30 AM) *
lol...you completely miss the point...it is not that Bradford started on day one...it is that he did so and did not get hurt as Wentz already has in his first preseason game....you are the one who mentioned injury.

I only mentioned Bradford after his sorry ass was brought into my Wentz love thread.

I do not discount how athletic Wentz is...you discount how many athletic, tall QBs there are that do not make it. You make it seem as if most of the QBs who come out are normal athletes....these guys are all freak athletes which is why they get to where they are. Very few guys who start in college are not great athletes.

It's all relative. But your last sentence is silly. They're good athletes in the sense that they play football. Wentz is a physical freak by any standard.

There aren't many tall, super athletic QBs. Height and weight are usually large barriers to premium athleticism.
nd9kel
This thread: Yawn.

Wentz has proven himself to be injury prone. Last year and now this year. Just measuring by how Sammy's been judged.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nd9kel @ Aug 23 2016, 08:08 AM) *
This thread: Yawn.

Wentz has proven himself to be injury prone. Last year and now this year. Just measuring by how Sammy's been judged.

#1 Sam Bradford apologist has chimed in. Looking forward to your opinions on the 2017 Eagles and well into the future.
D Rock
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 23 2016, 01:19 AM) *

As far as size goes there are a lot more Sean Manions and Matt Leinerts out there than Bradys and Mannings.

Wentz has good size and athleticism but there are legions of guys with similar size and quite a few as athletic as him. I have always said that some guys peak in high school, some in college and some in the pros....I am hoping that Wentz is one of the latter. Wile his size and athleticism is not common it is certainly not unique...it is how his head adapts to the speed of the NFL.

Sure. As you say... some guys have the size, some guys have the athleticism. So too, some guys have the big time arm. Not many have all 3. Add in the character related intangibles, and I'm really liking the kid.
D Rock
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 23 2016, 11:32 AM) *

Leinert was a lot of things. Athletic was not one of them. Unless you wanna call a 5.01 40 time "athletic." And he was 20 lbs lighter than Carson coming out. He pretty much embodied the big, strong arm, statuesque type of USC QB that Palmer was.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Aug 23 2016, 11:18 AM) *
Sure. As you say... some guys have the size, some guys have the athleticism. So too, some guys have the big time arm. Not many have all 3. Add in the character related intangibles, and I'm really liking the kid.

Yep, yep, yep. He seems like the total package. Just needs some time to find his stride.
nd9kel
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 23 2016, 08:14 AM) *
#1 Sam Bradford apologist has chimed in. Looking forward to your opinions on the 2017 Eagles and well into the future.

2018: Carson Who?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nd9kel @ Aug 23 2016, 05:18 PM) *
2018: Carson Who?

We'll let you know. I know you'll be busy watching Sam sitting on the bench in another city.
nephillymike
I AM JUST SO GLAD 2016 IS THE YEAR OF NO EXCUSES!!

NO EXCUSES FOR THE QB, NO EXCUSES FOR HOWIE, NO EXCUSES FOR JEFF.

JUST WIN BABY!

Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 23 2016, 07:51 PM) *
I AM JUST SO GLAD 2016 IS THE YEAR OF NO EXCUSES!!

NO EXCUSES FOR THE QB, NO EXCUSES FOR HOWIE, NO EXCUSES FOR JEFF.

JUST WIN BABY!

Too late...the Wentz excuse train has already left the station.....lol But at least he does not get hurt much...it is not like he missed any games last year or this year.....lol
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 23 2016, 07:45 PM) *
Too late...the Wentz excuse train has already left the station.....lol But at least he does not get hurt much...it is not like he missed any games last year or this year.....lol

What excuses are people making for him?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.