Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chase's return
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
mcnabbulous
Started the game with a stadium-wide two minute standing ovation. Then the crowd booed when the first pitch of the night was called a strike.

He delivered with a solo home run and a grand slam, each resulting in huge ovations and curtain calls.

It was quite the night.

He truly was and is the man.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 16 2016, 09:57 PM) *
Started the game with a stadium-wide two minute standing ovation. Then the crowd booed when the first pitch of the night was called a strike.

He delivered with a solo home run and a grand slam, each resulting in huge ovations and curtain calls.

It was quite the night.

He truly was and is the man.

He is a true professional and great player, and the fans rightfully showed him how much they appreciated what he brought to the ballpark with him each and every day while wearing a Phillies uniform.
nephillymike
Of all my years as a Philadelphia sports fan, I rank him 2nd, only to Dawk, as my favorite Philly athlete in my time.

When coaching baseball since he came up, it was always easy to just say to the kids, play baseball like Chase Utley plays.

He hustles all the time, knows and studies the game, knows what he is doing before the ball comes to him, is cool under pressure.

One little thing as a coach I always stressed, that I have seen very few major league players do:

Watch the pitch all the way in to the catchers mitt. Pete Rose did it, but very few others.

Think about it.

If you only watch the pitch to the point it comes past you as the batter, you are not getting all of the information on the pitch. Sure you know the pitch was called a ball by the ump. but do you know it was one inch outside, a foot outside? Maybe you thought it was a ball that missed by 8 inches, but it only missed by an inch. That's valuable information that so many players fail to gather just by lack of effort or technique.

I was in a poker room for his 1st game back the other night. I saw it on TV from a distance but without sound or much context as my attention was elsewhere. To see him hit the homer and the grannie, and I just commented at the table that Chase Utley is the man. Even the annoying New Yorkers at the table respected the way he played.

I will catch up on the Comcast shows and catch the replays to see how it all sounded.

FWIW, my all-time top favorite Philly players, just because:

1. Dawk
2. Utley
3. Trotter
4. Carlton
5. T. Vincent
HM - P. Rose (if not for the betting, he'd be #3)

Favorite non Philadelphia athlete: Kenny Stabler
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 19 2016, 07:43 AM) *
FWIW, my all-time top favorite Philly players, just because:

1. Dawk
2. Utley
3. Trotter
4. Carlton
5. T. Vincent
HM - P. Rose (if not for the betting, he'd be #3)

Favorite non Philadelphia athlete: Kenny Stabler

I'll go with...
1. Utley
2. Dawk
3. Hamels (best homegrown pitcher of my lifetime)
4. Westbrook
5. Chooch
HM - Donnie (if he kept his act together he could easily be #1)

Favorite non Philadelphia athlete: Vladimir Guerrero
The Franchise
I'm normally not a fan of cheering ex-players who fuck us up, but Chase gets an exception.

Him and Dawk are basically gods in this town. I don't know anyone else as infallible as them to Philly fans.
Reality Fan
My top 5:
1-2 Utley and Dawk....rank them even...awesome guys on and off the field
3. Hextall
4. Howard
5. Joyner

Non Philly athlete: Megatron.....non Diva stud WR (possibly the best of all time)
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 19 2016, 12:03 PM) *
I'll go with...
1. Utley
2. Dawk
3. Hamels (best homegrown pitcher of my lifetime)
4. Westbrook
5. Chooch
HM - Donnie (if he kept his act together he could easily be #1)

Favorite non Philadelphia athlete: Vladimir Guerrero

FWIW, my two sons, 18 and 20, had the following lists, asked without the other knowing it:

20 yr old
1. Dawk
2. Utley
3. Archidiacano
4. Halliday
5. Lee
Non Philly = M. Lynch

18 yr old
1. Dawk
2. Utley
3. Hamels
4. Halliday
5. C. Lee
Non Philly = P. Manning
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 19 2016, 03:39 PM) *
My top 5:
1-2 Utley and Dawk....rank them even...awesome guys on and off the field
3. Hextall
4. Howard
5. Joyner

Non Philly athlete: Megatron.....non Diva stud WR (possibly the best of all time)

Joyner came close for me. Definitely top 10.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 19 2016, 06:30 PM) *
FWIW, my two sons, 18 and 20, had the following lists, asked without the other knowing it:

20 yr old
1. Dawk
2. Utley
3. Archidiacano
4. Halliday
5. Lee
Non Philly = M. Lynch

18 yr old
1. Dawk
2. Utley
3. Hamels
4. Halliday
5. C. Lee
Non Philly = P. Manning

your 18 yr old has a great list....I forgot about Roy.....the 20 yr. old needs help..lol Lynch? ugh
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 19 2016, 06:16 PM) *
your 18 yr old has a great list....I forgot about Roy.....the 20 yr. old needs help..lol Lynch? ugh

Yeah, not a Lynch fan myself.

My 20 yr old is a real homer and had a tough time naming a non Philly guy.

I think if he had more time, he'd come up with someone more suitable.

Lee would have been on my top five but he deserted his team when injured and stiffed a few hard working movers on his move from 1706 Rittenhouse back to Arkansas. I can't put him in there.
samaroo
No Schmidt fans here?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (samaroo @ Aug 29 2016, 04:14 AM) *
No Schmidt fans here?

He probably would be #6 on my list, but I really was a bit too young to get to enjoy him. He was my first favorite athlete though.
samaroo
His is the only baseball jersey I have. Powder blue throwback. Chase will be the next one, though, if I get another one.

My list:

#1 Dawk
#2 Randall
#3 Utley
#4 E Allen
#5 Joyner

HM Vincent, Hopkins

Non-Philly - Does Barkley count? Nope, it's Rod Woodson.
xsv
My List

Dr J
Reggie White
Dawkins
Iverson
Cunningham
Barkley
Hextall
McNabb
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (samaroo @ Aug 29 2016, 07:54 AM) *
His is the only baseball jersey I have. Powder blue throwback. Chase will be the next one, though, if I get another one.

My list:

#1 Dawk
#2 Randall
#3 Utley
#4 E Allen
#5 Joyner

HM Vincent, Hopkins

Non-Philly - Does Barkley count? Nope, it's Rod Woodson.

Eric Allen is a good one! Loved that guy.
Reality Fan
Hopkins is one of my all time favorites but I could not list him because he was such a dog.....his girlfriend vs. wife at a game he gave them both tickets to in the same section disqualified him...lol

Cunningham is a great one too....he was 6 or 7
The Franchise
-Utley
-Dawkins
-Schilling
-Briere
-McNabb

Plenty of honorable mentions, that's why I hate making lists like this.

Non-Philly player - Pedro Martinez. Yeah, his 4 months here don't count. Whether it's head-hunting Yankees, beaning players while he has a perfect game going in the 8th, or throwing old fat men to the ground, he was as close to old school as you could get. At 5'11", one of the most feared pitchers ever.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 29 2016, 09:51 AM) *
Eric Allen is a good one! Loved that guy.

Me too!! He would be 6-10 range for me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.