Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eagles trade for Dorial Green-Beckham
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Trade Dennis Kelly to Tennessee.
mcnabbulous
He's a piece of shit
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 16 2016, 10:25 AM) *
He's a piece of shit

Better than what we have .. if he gets his head out of his ass. Kelly may have been cut anyway.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ Aug 16 2016, 09:27 AM) *
Better than what we have .. if he gets his head out of his ass. Kelly may have been cut anyway.

No. He's a literal piece of shit. This isn't about getting his head out of his ass.
make_it_rain
I love the trade.

I really couldn't care less about his off field concerns. Frankly, I find it refreshing we're moving past the #culture nonsense and caring more about what players can do athletically, not how many orphanages they have built.

From what I have read though, was that he (DGB) was basically lost on the field in camp. Running bad routes, poor conditioning, struggling with the playbook. He had already been passed supposedly on the depth chart and was like their WR3 or 4.

That being said, we essentially traded a borderline useless lineman for a raw second year receiver with substantial upside. The guy is 6'5 and runs like a 4.49, plus he adds a useful piece to the WR corps. Now, this says a lot more about the crap receivers this team has than it does about DGB's ability as a player, but still, who would you rather have, him or Josh Huff?
mcnabbulous
I don't give a shit if the Eagles sign good guys. I just don't want them employing terrible ones.

He is a terrible dude. And it sounds like it directly translates to his on field effort and performance.
nd9kel
What? Pederson didn't ask you for your opinion? Why that sob. Don't they know you're the greatest diaper changer on this board?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nd9kel @ Aug 16 2016, 12:34 PM) *
What? Pederson didn't ask you for your opinion? Why that sob.

I'm hardly sobbing. He's just a piece of shit. Beats up and intimidates women. Already given up on by a college and NFL team. Puts barely any effort into his on-field performance (or combine performance).

Don't they know you're the greatest diaper changer on this board?

I mean, I do have a 3-month old. She's doing great. Thanks for asking.
Reality Fan

A beat writer for Tenn. was on WIP today and he basically said this was a steal for the Eagles. He said that DGB came into camp in shape(in contrast to the bloggers usual bs)and had worked out with his mentor/big brother in the offseason, an army ranger and former Army LB, and was just not the new GMs cup of tea because of his inconsistency. He also said it might have been an example being made to others on the team.

He had one issue other than weed so lets not blow it out of proportion.....he pushed a woman, not acceptable but lets not put him into Greg landry territory. He was clean as a whistle in Tenn. and the beat writer, a former Eagles and Sixers guy, thinks it was a great move for the Eagles.

For a guy who is all about risk I am a little shocked that you are bothered by this move.
mcnabbulous
Of course it's a steal on paper. This is an athletic freak who was a second round pick last year. We're giving up absolutely nothing to get him.

But you're mistaken if you think this is the type of risk I'm into taking. This isn't about risk for me.

Like I said, two teams have already given up on him. His combine numbers suggest he gave a half-hearted effort. He's a poor route runner.

But lets not suggest he just had one issue. He assaulted and then intimated a woman. That's pretty egregious behavior. The fact that he still hasn't proven any ability to get his act together says a lot about the dude. If he wanted to prove that he wasn't that type of dude, he would be showing far more effort in every walk of life.

I don't like cheering for shit birds. He seems like a shit bird.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 16 2016, 01:28 PM) *
he pushed a woman, not acceptable but lets not put him into Greg landry territory.

Yeah, he pushed a woman...................down a flight of stairs. That's a pretty important detail to leave out buddy.

A guy who at best covered up a double homicide (and in all likelihood participated in it) was an integral part of bringing the Ravens two Super Bowl rings. I'd be lying if I said I would care how we got our first ring, even if we had a whole team of felons. However, such blatant poor character usually just leads to problems for the team. We'll see how this goes.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Aug 16 2016, 01:51 PM) *
Yeah, he pushed a woman...................down a flight of stairs. That's a pretty important detail to leave out buddy.

But it was only 4 stairs!
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 16 2016, 03:02 PM) *
But it was only 4 stairs!

While certainly regrettable and unacceptable does he have a history of such behavior? Like Elliot?

Would you have drafted Tunsil? You had no doubt he would have lasted until 8 had we stayed there...would you have taken him? Should we jettison Smallwood?

I think the beat writer who spends time with the guy has a pretty good impression of him, far better than any of us. Robinso is a new guy and decided to send a message to his team....if the guy is an issue we cut him and move on and it really cost them nothing.

and here is the ESPN writer for the Titans chiming in with the same thought

http://www.crossingbroad.com/2016/08/the-e...-a-message.html
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 16 2016, 02:32 PM) *
While certainly regrettable and unacceptable does he have a history of such behavior? Like Elliot?

I wouldn't have drafted Elliott for several reasons. I'm stoked the Cowboys did.

Would you have drafted Tunsil?

Well, probably if it weren't for my aversion to drafting OL high. But his weed smoking doesn't concern me much.
You had no doubt he would have lasted until 8 had we stayed there...would you have taken him? Should we jettison Smallwood?

I probably wouldn't have drafted Smallwood. Is upside doesn't seem to warrant what he was associated with.

I think the beat writer who spends time with the guy has a pretty good impression of him, far better than any of us.

But probably less of an impression than the team that spent a second rounder on him just last year and already cut bait.

Robinso is a new guy and decided to send a message to his team....if the guy is an issue we cut him and move on and it really cost them nothing.

That's all true. But it doesn't change the fact that he's a piece of trash.
D Rock
I love this trade.

Risk vs. Reward.

We gave up nothing to take a flyer on a guy with the potential to fix our biggest problem.

I don't give a fuck about the weed. Getting caught for it shows he's a bit dim, but he's certainly not the first or the last.

The pushing a girl down a half flight of stairs on the other hand is very disconcerting. That said, we don't know the whole story there, and he was never prosecuted or even charged with anything.

Chris Carter looked like a total shit bag leaving philly. Today? Not so much. I have no problem giving this kid a 2nd chance. If he fails, we cut him lose. Nothing lost, with potential for great gain.

Great move, Howie.

Now get to work DGB!
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Aug 16 2016, 03:15 PM) *
The pushing a girl down a half flight of stairs on the other hand is very disconcerting. That said, we don't know the whole story there, and he was never prosecuted or even charged with anything.

I mean, he acknowledged it and the girl dropped charges due to fear of retaliation. Pretty crystal clear.

I hope he's not a total shitbag, but after an incident like that and now a second team giving up on him it doesn't bode well.
nd9kel
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 16 2016, 01:14 PM) *
I'm hardly sobbing. He's just a piece of shit. Beats up and intimidates women. Already given up on by a college and NFL team. Puts barely any effort into his on-field performance (or combine performance).

I mean, I do have a 3-month old. She's doing great. Thanks for asking.

I changed so many diapers back in the day. I mean my kids, not mine smile.gif

Those days pass so fast...

Dorial played close by in high school. His high school coach (white) adopted both him and his younger brother. It was a great home. His behavior at MU shocked us all. When he transferred to OU he was a model student/player who spent the entire year on the practice squad going against the starters. He didn't have to, but he was allowed by Stoops to somewhat "redeem" himself. He entered Tennessee's camp this year at 225 lbs...way under the 237 reported which was last year's weight when he was criticized for being out of shape. I'm hoping this year represents a new start in his mind, and a new determination. He was a #1 rated football player coming out of high school...in the nation. Maybe playing for an OU qb will inspire him to get it together.
Joegrane
Good point about C Carter. He said in an interview that Buddy R did him a big favor by cutting him. It was a turning point.

I am surprised. Trades are not common in the NFL.

D Kelly was previously L Johnson's backup. It is shocking that with the loss of LJ, Kelly was considered expendable. They just gave Kelly some nice $ in an extension.

Do they really like 5th rounder, H Vaitai that much?!

They must really dislike their WRs!

I bet this is about DGB's "catch radius." It gives the QBs an opportunity to throw the ball up to him and hope he comes down with it.

You certainly can't expect someone with DGB's apparently low ability to learn and poor character history to outsmart or outwork anyone.

"Green-Beckham would be in the top three on this list [of top WRs in draft] if it weren't for off-the-field issues....

"Green-Beckham has an immense skill set with upside to develop, but he may have killed his shot at being a high first-round pick by getting kicked off the Missouri team. ...

"Sources say the Texans and Eagles have already ruled Green-Beckham out. One general manager estimated they would have Beckham in the third- to fifth-round range because of the off-the-field concerns.
http://walterfootball.com/draft2015WR.php

"Dorial Green-Beckham is big, fast, athletic. At 6-foot-5, 240 pounds, with a sub-4.5 time in the 40-yard dash...
http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-eagl...k-green-beckham

Some sites had DGB ranked ahead of N Agoholor.

You said, "get to work DGB." I fear he will go partying with Agoholor : (

Obviously someone is getting cut. Is it Huff?

QUOTE (D Rock @ Aug 16 2016, 04:15 PM) *
I love this trade.

Risk vs. Reward.

We gave up nothing to take a flyer on a guy with the potential to fix our biggest problem.

I don't give a fuck about the weed. Getting caught for it shows he's a bit dim, but he's certainly not the first or the last.

Chris Carter looked like a total shit bag leaving philly. Today? Not so much. I have no problem giving this kid a 2nd chance. If he fails, we cut him lose. Nothing lost, with potential for great gain.

Great move, Howie.

Now get to work DGB!
D Rock
I read that prior to his HS coach adopting him, he was living in a home for neglected and abused children. Sounds like he had a tough row to hoe as a kid. Also read details of the pushing the girl down stairs. Apparently, he was looking for his girlfriend and pushed open a door, inadvertently hitting said girlfriend's room mate down a set of 4 stairs. This is cause for concern, but falls well short of Ray Rice-esque beat dwn. Not excusing it, just sharing info.
mcnabbulous
If his wake up call didn't come after getting booted from Missouri, I don't expect it after getting dropped by Tenn.

I hope I'm wrong about the guy, but based on his past indiscretions, adding a reputation of laziness doesn't seem promising as it relates to his maturity.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 16 2016, 05:15 PM) *
If his wake up call didn't come after getting booted from Missouri, I don't expect it after getting dropped by Tenn.

I hope I'm wrong about the guy, but based on his past indiscretions, adding a reputation of laziness doesn't seem promising as it relates to his maturity.

ummm...after getting booted by Mizzou he went to Ou but could not play because of the transfer rule so he had to sit out a year.....and then he went to the NFL. What else was he supposed to do? Should he have stayed at Ou to make people feel better or get drafted in the 2nd round like he did?

I look at a first time GM who is coming from a shit program in Tampa where he got Winston because they were so damn bad.
It seems like he made the move to show he was the boss....never a good idea.
Eyrie
I have my concerns about Green-Beckham as a person based on what I'm reading here.

That said, maybe he can get himself sorted out by coming to a new city. Carter has already been mentioned, so I'll add in Vick as well. I was spitting blood when we signed the convicted abuser but by all accounts Vick was a model citizen in his time here.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 16 2016, 04:28 PM) *
ummm...after getting booted by Mizzou he went to Ou but could not play because of the transfer rule so he had to sit out a year.....and then he went to the NFL. What else was he supposed to do? Should he have stayed at Ou to make people feel better or get drafted in the 2nd round like he did?

I look at a first time GM who is coming from a shit program in Tampa where he got Winston because they were so damn bad.
It seems like he made the move to show he was the boss....never a good idea.

You act like Tenn doesn't have a garbage receiving group. They do, and still parted ways with this guy.

If it works out, great, but nothing about his past suggests he is committed to his craft. I can't remember many scenarios when that works out in the NFL.

I get why Howie did it, but it doesn't excite me a whole lot.
nd9kel
Well, whatever Tennessee thinks of him, we upgraded at the position...sadly.

C'mon Nabby, open your heart and give a City of Brotherly Love welcome to DGB.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 16 2016, 05:51 PM) *
You act like Tenn doesn't have a garbage receiving group. They do, and still parted ways with this guy.

If it works out, great, but nothing about his past suggests he is committed to his craft. I can't remember many scenarios when that works out in the NFL.

I get why Howie did it, but it doesn't excite me a whole lot.

How do I act like Tenn. does not have garbage WRs? I merely point out that it is the move of a first time GM to send a message...a sentiment shared by 2 separate guys who cover the Titans.

Maybe Robinson needed to show his moves to get Andre Johnson and his drafting Sharpe and signing Matthews were genius moves. They are his guys....DGB was from the last group. It seems like a foolish move.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nd9kel @ Aug 16 2016, 04:54 PM) *
Well, whatever Tennessee thinks of him, we upgraded at the position...sadly.

C'mon Nabby, open your heart and give a City of Brotherly Love welcome to DGB.

My heart is wide open, bud. I hope everything was one big misunderstanding at Mizzou and that he worked his butt off in Tenn. I'm skeptical, but I always hope for the best.

Despite being an animal lover, I welcomed Mike Vick because I felt like he had served his time and paid his punishment.

Hopefully DGB has learned from his mistakes.
Reality Fan
A good sign is that he reported to camp in shape after working out in the offseason...a step in the right direction.

I share your concern but the risk is zero, Kelly was garbage.
mcnabbulous
Howie is on record as saying he needs to take these chances because of our depleted roster and draft picks. That's what this is. A calculated risk. I get it. I'm just not stoked about it.

DGB has every chance to prove me wrong. I'll keep my expectations low and see how it plays out.
Zero
QUOTE (D Rock @ Aug 16 2016, 04:15 PM) *
I love this trade.

Risk vs. Reward.

Great move, Howie.

Now get to work DGB!

This is pretty much how I feel. I'm not sure DGB's history rivals that of Michael Vick before he came to the Eagles and he seems to have turned his life around. This chance is the player's to either make his life right or dig a deeper hole to drown in. This was the right thing to do for this team, low cost potential high reward risk.
Joegrane
The "calculated risk" is reasonable; however the risk is more than just the loss of veteran O Line depth.

Yes it creates more competition during the preseason, but once the season starts, the poorly motivated players go back to being themselves. If the Eagles already have a culture of underachieving at the WR position, this is not likely to help much.

Hopefully they'll be able to design a limited number of plays for him, probably something potentially helpful in the Red zone to utilize his length.

At the moment I suppose the 10 O Linemen will include the starting 5 plus the two draft picks--Seomalo and Vaitai--Wisniewski, Tobin and Gardner. Andrews was on the roster last year but I don't know that he'll be eligable for PSq. I assume Greene will be invited to PSq since they gave him quite a bit of $.
http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/PHI

QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 16 2016, 06:53 PM) *
Howie is on record as saying he needs to take these chances because of our depleted roster and draft picks. That's what this is. A calculated risk. I get it. I'm just not stoked about it.

DGB has every chance to prove me wrong. I'll keep my expectations low and see how it plays out.

mcnabbulous
Fwiw - the general sentiment I'm seeing online is that his issues are less conditioning related and more an inability to pick up the offense.
Reality Fan
a late update....

Apparently his woman pushing days are over (he also denied he ever pushed her down any steps) and he is now a father and married......

samaroo
Well, the Eagles promoted Dawk to help with the team's new lack of culture apparently. That sounds weird to me, but I'll take my Dawk however I can get 'em.
JeeQ
When we released DeSean for "character" issues some of you were so high and mighty. Now you'll look past it for DGB of all players laugh.gif
nephillymike
The good news:

the NEPM 2015 draft compilation had him rated #39 overall, 6th best WR in a good WR class.

The bad news:

that same source had Algohlar rated #41 overall and the 7th best WR that year.

We'll see.

There are very few trade offers that start with "the Eagles traded Dennis Kelly for" that would not be seen by me as a good deal.

At this point, my WR depth chart, solely based on what we've seen and what was reported from camp is:

Matthews
Turner
Givens
DGB
Algohlar

I'd cut Randle, Huff and the rest and search the waiver wires frantically. I saw that R. Bailey was released by Jax but picked up off waivers by SD who had an earlier claim pick than we did. I would have brought him back for a look see too. We need WR's who can catch the ball.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 19 2016, 08:48 AM) *
I would have brought him back for a look see too.

We did put in a claim, but as you said, SD had an earlier one.
Reality Fan
For what it is worth....

DGB worked out for them Eagles before the game and they were so impressed they played him per reports before the game....both Spadaro and Mike Quick reported it.

Of course you had Chase "The 7 miilion dollar man" Daniel through a fade that the DB did not even need to jump for to break up.

He made a good first impression.
The Franchise
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Aug 17 2016, 01:29 AM) *
When we released DeSean for "character" issues some of you were so high and mighty. Now you'll look past it for DGB of all players laugh.gif

In all fairness, that was just the 'genius effect.' Fanboys wanted to think Chip Kelly was doing anything other than destroying this franchise, so they made up excuses to justify that cutting one of the most explosive players in franchise history was a good move.
Zero
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Aug 17 2016, 02:29 AM) *

I dunno, from what I've read he could be a good kid that just did some dumb things. I know I never did that. rolleyes.gif
Joegrane
This should provide additional insight about why Tenn decided to dump DGB.

FOLLOWING SATURDAY'S PRESEASON GAME, COACH MIKE MULARKEY SAID ROOKIE TAJAE SHARPE HAS "ALREADY GAINED THE TRUST" OF MARCUS MARIOTA AND THE TITANS' COACHING STAFF.

Sharpe's placement with the first-team offense in the spring was widely speculated as a motivational tactic aimed at Dorial Green-Beckham. Instead, Sharpe has run away with a starting job, shining in padded practices and in preseason games. He erupted for 6-68 receiving in one half of work against the Panthers on Saturday. There are no guarantees on Tennessee's target distribution, but Sharpe is making a case for a significant piece of the pie. Source Twitter.

Sharpe was drafted at the top of the 5th round out of the MAC conference!

QUOTE (Zero @ Aug 16 2016, 10:24 AM) *
Trade Dennis Kelly to Tennessee.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.