Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wentz with hairline rib fracture
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
mcnabbulous
As someone who is currently recovering from some torn rib ligaments, I don't think we'll be seeing him the rest of the preseason.

Hypothetically, they could dope him up and put him out there but that seems largely pointless. I'm just over 3 weeks into recovery and unless I've taken pain meds, I can barely get out of bed.

Rib injuries are the worst.
JeeQ
Already sitting out with injury... It only took one week for him to become a vintage Eagles QB
Reality Fan
That does suck for him.....I have separated my ribs several times (tearing the muscle on your rib cage), I have fractured my ribs twice and bruised them several times....the joys of contact sports...lol No fun.....the separations are not as bad and I was always back in the saddle in a week or 2 but it helps to have a high pain tolerance or it takes a long time. I do not envy him at all because the worst part is breathing......it just sucks and just when you think it is ok you move one way and there is a spear in your chest.

Hopefully it is very minor...these guys get medical treatment we can only dream about.

I feel bad for him because it won't allow him to even throw a ball.
nephillymike
Well that completely sucks.

Thank you offensive line!!

Any truth that Pedey did it to protect his $21M investment in Daniel from the we want Wentz chants ?

Is is becoming more difficult to watch the rest of the preseason now, as if that drek WR crew the other night wasn't enough reason.
nephillymike
And on another note, I see Lane Johnson has endeared himself to the NFLPA.

10 games with no Lane on the way.

They're taking a listless preseason and turning it hopeless in a hurry.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 13 2016, 04:05 PM) *
And on another note, I see Lane Johnson has endeared himself to the NFLPA.

They're taking a listless preseason and turning it hopeless in a hurry.

Not to worry, the team wasn't going anywhere as it was and now they will get an earlier first round pick. ohmy.gif
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ Aug 13 2016, 04:03 PM) *
Not to worry, the team wasn't going anywhere as it was and now they will get an earlier first round pick. ohmy.gif

Well, we will get an earlier second round pick
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ Aug 13 2016, 05:03 PM) *

Word out is that Cleveland supplied the supplements to Johnson...and they are celebrating......again
mcnabbulous
Why does our first round pick matter at this point? It's a sunk cost.

If we assume we aren't going to be good this year (we aren't). Then we shouldn't care how bad we are, because we will get a better second round pick. Worrying about what pick Cleveland will get is just a waste of time.
The Franchise
As it happens, I'm having ribs tomorrow night.

While enjoying them, I'll be sure to think about all the first rounders we could've had to bolster our shit WR corps.

nd9kel
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Aug 13 2016, 06:46 PM) *

While enjoying them, I'll be sure to think about all the first rounders we could've had to bolster our shit WR corps.

Amen brother.
Dreagon
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 13 2016, 03:05 PM) *

I feel your pain.
Try to look at him as late season depth that will be coming in fresh in December.
It sort of works for me with McClain... sort of ... dry.gif
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Aug 13 2016, 06:46 PM) *

Or we could have just drafted Allen Robinson like I suggested a few years ago. Then we wouldn't have to worry about it.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 13 2016, 10:31 PM) *
Or we could have just drafted Allen Robinson like I suggested a few years ago. Then we wouldn't have to worry about it.

Or we could have drafted Geno and we'd be up the same Shit Creek....

The devil03.gif made me do it!!
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 14 2016, 01:01 AM) *

lol...or that shit beer you drink...
Eyrie
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 13 2016, 11:19 PM) *
Why does our first round pick matter at this point? It's a sunk cost.

If we assume we aren't going to be good this year (we aren't). Then we shouldn't care how bad we are, because we will get a better second round pick. Worrying about what pick Cleveland will get is just a waste of time.

It matters because when offering a future pick as part of a trade you have to consider where that pick will likely be.

Giving up an expected spot in the twenties is a very different matter to risking a potential top ten place. Now it could be argued that Roseman can't be expected to factor in Johnson being a moron when estimating that pick, but it was always going to be in the top half of the draft.

Thinking that this means we get a better position in round two is missing the point. We'll only get that better position in round two because our roster is weak overall, which means that spending a high 2017 first on Wentz means we have even more invested in him becoming that elite QB we need.

If not, we're a player down on our next rebuild which of course can be spun as assisting our prospects of having a top five pick in 2018 or 2019.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 14 2016, 12:01 AM) *

Why? The alternative is a guy who is going to miss 10 games this year. We'd be just about the same.

Although Geno did just throw the nicest TD of the preseason.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Aug 14 2016, 05:39 AM) *
It matters because when offering a future pick as part of a trade you have to consider where that pick will likely be.

Giving up an expected spot in the twenties is a very different matter to risking a potential top ten place. Now it could be argued that Roseman can't be expected to factor in Johnson being a moron when estimating that pick, but it was always going to be in the top half of the draft.

Thinking that this means we get a better position in round two is missing the point. We'll only get that better position in round two because our roster is weak overall, which means that spending a high 2017 first on Wentz means we have even more invested in him becoming that elite QB we need.

If not, we're a player down on our next rebuild which of course can be spun as assisting our prospects of having a top five pick in 2018 or 2019.

If Wentz pans out, no one will remember what we gave up to get him.

The draft pick is a sunk cost. At this point, it doesn't matter if it's #1 or #32. Trying to predict what it was going to be to factor that into whether trading for Wentz was worthwhile would have been a fruitless effort.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 14 2016, 09:42 AM) *
If Wentz pans out, no one will remember what we gave up to get him.

The draft pick is a sunk cost. At this point, it doesn't matter if it's #1 or #32. Trying to predict what it was going to be to factor that into whether trading for Wentz was worthwhile would have been a fruitless effort.

Using the Hillary Clinton "at this point what does it matter?" defense.....lol

I agree that if Wentz becomes Unitas that few will pan the trade. You have already stipulated the odds are against him. The part I am curious about is what is your criteria for critiquing any move? AFter the fact the cost of any trade is a "sunk cost". I don't say that to be argumentative but the cost from the trade is more than just one pick next year. It was 2 other picks this year...it is the 2 nd round pick in 2018. and we get back a4 round pick next year if I recall correctly.

I think it is more venting at this point......venting over what some, my self included, feel was too much for the gamble. I have said I may and hope to be wrong but it was expensive.
mcnabbulous
If I'm going to get upset about draft decisions, it's not going to be about hypothetical future picks. We have enough past mistakes to worry about. We've basically made one good first round pick since 2009 (Wentz excluded). Whether we hit or miss with Wentz is basically irrelevant as it relates to our problems.

Seriously, we've hit on one of our last six first rounders. It's pathetic. And our second rounders have been just okay. A couple decent players, but no stars.

Even if we bust out on Wentz, it won't be much different than had we spent the picks on multiple players anyways at this rate.

The reward far outweighs the risk. It's not even close.
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 14 2016, 10:03 AM) *
I think it is more venting at this point......venting over what some, my self included, feel was too much for the gamble. I have said I may and hope to be wrong but it was expensive.

I agree, we could have taken a lesser QB and gotten another Agholor and Smith in subsequent drafts. In '17 we could have drafted a fireman to bolster the OL wink.gif
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ Aug 14 2016, 09:30 AM) *
I agree, we could have taken a lesser QB and gotten another Agholor and Smith in subsequent drafts. In '17 we could have drafted a fireman to bolster the OL wink.gif

Ding ding ding.

The thing about being right about Wentz is that he will make a lot of other people look better if he works out. Great QB play elevates the rest of the offense.

His plays on the move already bailed out some awful OL "help."
SAM I Am
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 13 2016, 03:39 PM) *
I do not envy him at all because the worst part is breathing......

No. The worst part is a cough or a sneeze. Fucking brutal, either one of them.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Aug 14 2016, 11:02 AM) *

I second this. Fuck, during my first week with this current injury, just laying down hurt. The sneezes caused the eyes to water.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Aug 14 2016, 12:02 PM) *

I have never had my rib issues in the winter. Mine were always during the summer so coughing was not an issue. Sleeping sitting up took some getting used to, that was the only way to get comfortable.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ Aug 14 2016, 10:30 AM) *

So we should celebrate the risk taken by the same guy who is responsible for most of the other draft picks of which many were also a substantial risk?

Does that make sense to you?
The Franchise
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 14 2016, 10:13 AM) *
If I'm going to get upset about draft decisions, it's not going to be about hypothetical future picks. We have enough past mistakes to worry about. We've basically made one good first round pick since 2009 (Wentz excluded). Whether we hit or miss with Wentz is basically irrelevant as it relates to our problems.

We're in agreement, but for different reasons. I've said we're never winning shit until ownership changes, because of the people Lurie keeps on having make those decisions. We've had absolutely dreadful drafts. Instead of accepting that our drafts are going to suck so who cares, we should be calling for heads to roll.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Aug 14 2016, 01:17 PM) *
We're in agreement, but for different reasons. I've said we're never winning shit until ownership changes, because of the people Lurie keeps on having make those decisions. We've had absolutely dreadful drafts. Instead of accepting that our drafts are going to suck so who cares, we should be calling for heads to roll.

I haven't been a fan of our front office structure in ages. I'm pretty aggressively anti head coaches having personnel authority. We've suffered from that for the majority of the past decade-plus.

Lurie isn't going anywhere. Unfortunately we are in a situation where Roseman is a poor evaluator, but tied directly to Wentz. If Wentz succeeds (which we should all be hoping for), Howie is likely here for the long haul.

As I said before, if Wentz turns into a star, I suspect some of our misses will start to look a lot better. Wide receivers will have an easier time finding space, running backs will see bigger holes and our OL breakdowns will be less obvious.

Pila
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 14 2016, 05:19 PM) *
I have never had my rib issues in the winter. Mine were always during the summer so coughing was not an issue. Sleeping sitting up took some getting used to, that was the only way to get comfortable.

I think I've only cried three times in my life. Twice at the birth of my children, and once when I sneezed with two broken ribs. And the latter only lasted about 5 seconds because it hurt to cry.
mcnabbulous
My rib injury is what caused the tears to flow during Utley's standing ovation at CBP tonight. I swear, that's what it was.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.