Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Very pleased with Wentz's first series!
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
mcnabbulous
If there is anything I would expect from a young QB it would be their passes sailing a bit. Even so, his high ones were catchable.

Most importantly, he looked the part. Great pocket presence and composure. Willingness and ability to step up and slide in the pocket. And clearly has the arm.

Very promising start.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 11 2016, 08:40 PM) *
If there is anything I would expect from a young QB it would be their passes sailing a bit. Even so, his high ones were catchable.

Most importantly, he looked the part. Great pocket presence and composure. Willingness and ability to step up and slide in the pocket. And clearly has the arm.

Very promising start.

I'm sure he was nice and relaxed thinking he would start the second half, and all of a sudden Pedey tells him, get in there kid. No time for him to work up any nerves.
mcnabbulous
Can't believe this was the only post about Wentz last night.

I thought he looked great. Needs to tame his throws a bit, but he looked calm and collected out there. The game definitely isn't too big for him.

He had some real nice throws on the move. A couple nice scrambles. I have a hard time envisioning a scenario in which he won't turn into an above average starter, at worst.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 12 2016, 08:52 AM) *
Can't believe this was the only post about Wentz last night.

I thought he looked great. Needs to tame his throws a bit, but he looked calm and collected out there. The game definitely isn't too big for him.

He had some real nice throws on the move. A couple nice scrambles. I have a hard time envisioning a scenario in which he won't turn into an above average starter, at worst.

I promised my self that I was not going to say a word if he looked bad or if he looked good. He certainly did not look 'Great". He is athletic but lets hold off getting excited at least until the end of the preseason. He had some good momnets and some pretty bad ones which is expected in his first game.

What was painful was listening to Mayock jerking off about him. A good example was the ball he sailed high to Agholor who went to full extension jumping and was getting hit and could not come down with it and Mayock blamed the WR.

He looked liked a rookie last night and that is ok. He did not look like a guy destined for greatness or failure, just a rookie in his first game. I like his movement, very fluid. The preseason should be interesting.
mcnabbulous
Obviously he didn't look "great" but I think you have to look past minutia of that type of performance. The kid has literally every tool you could want.

More importantly, he seemed to squash any concerns about the game being too big for him, or too fast. He was calm and collected.

Now I'll grant you, his inaccuracy was concerning. But with enough tools, you can survive in the NFL without Brady like accuracy. We witnessed it first hand.

He simply showed too many tools for me to believe he'll be anything other than a success. If he improves his mechanics (specifically that long delivery) and accuracy, he'll be a star.
Pila
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 12 2016, 03:30 PM) *
Obviously he didn't look "great" but I think you have to look past minutia of that type of performance. The kid has literally every tool you could want.

More importantly, he seemed to squash any concerns about the game being too big for him, or too fast. He was calm and collected.

Now I'll grant you, his inaccuracy was concerning. But with enough tools, you can survive in the NFL without Brady like accuracy. We witnessed it first hand.

He simply showed too many tools for me to believe he'll be anything other than a success. If he improves his mechanics (specifically that long delivery) and accuracy, he'll be a star.

If given enough time in his first game of preseason action, coveted rookie QBs tens to show glimpses of both, the virtues that made him coveted, and the concerns of those that doubted. Wentz was typical in that regard.

What will determine which of the two is the more prophetic one is how that needle progresses to which side as his playing minutes collect.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Pila @ Aug 12 2016, 12:27 PM) *
What will determine which of the two is the more prophetic one is how that needle progresses to which side as his playing minutes collect.

Not to go too overboard with my pizza references, but alas, here we are.

Pizza is never really bad. Bad pizza, is at worst, still okay.

And when you have a physical skillset like Wentz, the same will hold true. At worst, he'll be more dependent on his legs than the great ones. But he'll still be able to get it done just because of his size and athletic ability. So, at worst, I still think he'll be okay.

Once he tames the accuracy, he'll turn into a star. I fucking hope he tames that accuracy.
Pila
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 12 2016, 06:34 PM) *
Not to go too overboard with my pizza references, but alas, here we are.

Pizza is never really bad. Bad pizza, is at worst, still okay.

And when you have a physical skillset like Wentz, the same will hold true. At worst, he'll be more dependent on his legs than the great ones. But he'll still be able to get it done just because of his size and athletic ability. So, at worst, I still think he'll be okay.

Once he tames the accuracy, he'll turn into a star. I fucking hope he tames that accuracy.

Athletic ability is by default a start with a trump card. It's a privileged default launching pad. Not pocket Aces, but a good hand before the flop.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Pila @ Aug 12 2016, 03:16 PM) *
Athletic ability is by default a start with a trump card. It's a privileged default launching pad. Not pocket Aces, but a good hand before the flop.

Is that considered athletic privilege?....lololol

I think we all need to relax and not get to excited in either direction...just remember this...

That considered, it's hard not to be impressed with how Manziel fared Saturday.

In facing Detroit, Manziel completed 7-of-11 passes for 63 yards, running six times for 27 yards. It's the preseason, so it's important to recognize the context of those results, compared with those of Manziel's competition for the Browns QB job in Brian Hoyer.

Now Wentz is too grounded to be the head case that Manzel is but it is indicative of the transition from college to pro. There are lots of guys who are super athletic that crash and burn. I like the way Wentz moves but it is his decision making that will determine where he goes as well as his accuracy. I am actually rooting for the guy but there are worries for me.....his first game did nothing to alleviate them but it did not deepen them either. I went in knowing not to put much weight on his first performance.....I will wait to see his action in game 4 where he will play a lot with more work in camp.
mcnabbulous
Comparing Manziel and Wentz physically is irrelevant. Manziel was quick and shifty, but he was undersized. He also played in an Air Raid offense, so he never really had to make the types of progressions Wentz did in college.

Manziel relied entirely on his athleticism. Wentz uses it as a weapon in a larger arsenal.

Pila
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 12 2016, 09:54 PM) *
Is that considered athletic privilege?....lololol

I think we all need to relax and not get to excited in either direction...just remember this...

That considered, it's hard not to be impressed with how Manziel fared Saturday.

In facing Detroit, Manziel completed 7-of-11 passes for 63 yards, running six times for 27 yards. It's the preseason, so it's important to recognize the context of those results, compared with those of Manziel's competition for the Browns QB job in Brian Hoyer.

Now Wentz is too grounded to be the head case that Manzel is but it is indicative of the transition from college to pro. There are lots of guys who are super athletic that crash and burn. I like the way Wentz moves but it is his decision making that will determine where he goes as well as his accuracy. I am actually rooting for the guy but there are worries for me.....his first game did nothing to alleviate them but it did not deepen them either. I went in knowing not to put much weight on his first performance.....I will wait to see his action in game 4 where he will play a lot with more work in camp.
I think that's what I said.
nephillymike
Meh.

Average, maybe.

The game is definitely not too big for him.

He read the D well, had good pocket presence, made the right reads.

But threw the ball inconsistently.

Way too inaccurate IMO. The one wobbler wasn't pretty either.

Sure he had a lot of drops. However, unlike my Bradford brethren, I will lay the blame on half of those drops on the Kid.

High and hard, too often. Tough to catch some of those off target ones coming out of the break, just like it was last year for Sam.

For a first game, the Kid got hit hard!!

Our OL and WR's sucked.

Maybe next week we'll do better.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.