Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Doug Pederson
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
How has he performed as a head coach up until now, compared to what you thought when he was hired?

I expected a lower tier head coach when he was hired. However, I like what I hear (except the defense of Andy's clock management early on). He seems in command. Plays the executive part well. Seems even keeled, an honest straight shooter. I like the physicality in camp. If these guys can't take hitting, fuck em, find another team. The practice I saw wasn't tough at all. Maybe we'll win a goal line offense set in the real games.

I did hear something concerning today though. Jon Ritchie, the ex FB, was on with Glenn on WIP in place of R. Diddy. He mentioned that Andy kept control of the important facets of the offensive side of the ball and didn't let his OC's do much at all. He mentioned that when Chillie was the OC here in Philly when he was here, basically all Brad did was go over the game plan with the team after Andy picked all of the plays, called all of the plays etc. He said it was the least responsibility hje's seen an OC ever have in his NFL tenure. He said he thought Brad would struggle as HC because he didn't have enough experience when under Andy. He hear that Pedey was doing the same thing until the very end when he called some plays. He has concern that Pedey's growth would be similarly stunted.

While I like what I see, and how he's handled some situations, I wonder if he will be a plus match up for us. When we dissect the match ups of a game, will we say HC is advantage us in more games than not? Will we say OC is a plus for us? I don't think so. While I think we will in the DC or ST coach match ups, I don't have faith that we will see an advantage on the other side of the ball or HC overall. Maybe what he's done at the helm, steadying the ship through stormy waters of the off season will prove enough.

Anyone?
Joegrane
I don't know that our HC and OC will be a plus for us in any games this year. I'm not saying that they will be bad. I just can't assume they'll provide an advantage.

I expect Pedey to share the responsibilities with Reich.

Pedey was hired to be the anti-Chip, a player's HC who creates the "family" environment Lurie wants.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 6 2016, 10:35 PM) *
...Jon Ritchie, the ex FB, ...e mentioned that Andy kept control of the important facets of the offensive side of the ball and didn't let his OC's do much at all. ... He said he thought Brad would struggle as HC because he didn't have enough experience when under Andy. He hear that Pedey was doing the same thing until the very end when he called some plays. He has concern that Pedey's growth would be similarly stunted.

... I wonder if he will be a plus match up for us. When we dissect the match ups of a game, will we say HC is advantage us in more games than not? ....

Eyrie
I think Pederson said when he arrived that he would call the plays, and I wasn't happy about that. He has enough on his plate as a rookie head coach without micro-managing.
Reality Fan
Relax Francis.....Childress never played a down in the NFL...Pedy did...that is a big plus in developing a game plan...it does not insure he will be a good coach but it should help him
Zero
Pederson's executive demeanor seems forced and uncomfortable to me. I don't know if that will/could transfer to wins and losses but he seems unnatural, like he's trying to prove he's in command. Big contrast with Andy and Schwartz who both come across as much more confident. Maybe he just needs to grow into the role. At this point, all that matters is how he's preparing the team. When the games begin all that will really matter is if he finds ways to win. We can't tell any of that yet. Right now he gives me agita.
The Franchise
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 6 2016, 10:35 PM) *
However, I like what I hear (except the defense of Andy's clock management early on).

Bah, he's not gonna throw Reid under the bus. My only hope is that he was just being a professional and a good friend, and actually understands basic clock management. I forget what Ray Rhodes was like to be honest, but we haven't had good clock management in at least almost two decades. I'm going to blow my fucking brains out if Pederson can't handle basic math.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Aug 7 2016, 12:54 AM) *
I think Pederson said when he arrived that he would call the plays, and I wasn't happy about that. He has enough on his plate as a rookie head coach without micro-managing.

I do like the fact that he believes in allowing the QB to make changes at the line of scrimmage.
D Rock
QUOTE (Zero @ Aug 7 2016, 12:54 PM) *
Pederson's executive demeanor seems forced and uncomfortable to me. I don't know if that will/could transfer to wins and losses but he seems unnatural, like he's trying to prove he's in command. Big contrast with Andy and Schwartz who both come across as much more confident. Maybe he just needs to grow into the role. At this point, all that matters is how he's preparing the team. When the games begin all that will really matter is if he finds ways to win. We can't tell any of that yet. Right now he gives me agita.

I would say this applies to Pedey the person more than the coach. He's just got an awkward demeanor. Had it as a player too. He's just kind of bafoon-ish to me. Kind of how I'd imagine "the Franchise" in person. You know, a lout of a wind bag with zero substance.
nephillymike
After last night and seeing him not call a time out with 30 some seconds in the last drive of the first half.

Really?

Time Mgt 101 shit.

Disappointed the Kid didn't say fuck it and call the TO himself.

I mean if the HC and OC can't figure it out, it would be nice if the QB figured it out like anyone watching the game did!!

Here we go..................................
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.