Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pundits are Calling for a QB Competition
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
I apologize ahead of time for my rambling. I really am not sure how I would go about it, but just jotting mind rumblings about the whole QB situation and somewhat reaching a decision.

I mentioned in my training camp update how Daniel was throwing the ball better than Bradford.

I had not heard that from anyone else up until that point.

Yesterday afternoon on 97.5, I don't know if it was Lombardo or Shander or some other host, but he too mentioned how Daniel had a much better day than Bradford and that that's been the case for the entire OTA's and the first week of camp.

Today on Philly Sports talk, ESP and Mike Sielski were saying the same thing, that Daniel was outperforming Bradford.

On the way home tonight on 97.5, Lombardo was saying that handing Sam the starting job was not going to do him any favors and that the fans will be quicker to boo him than if he earned the job. He also said there were times last year in training camp where Bradford wowed him with his throws and accuracy. He said that has not happened this year.

I don't know. I expected very little out of Daniel, and frankly I was very pleasantly surprised with what I saw yesterday.

I started to think about how the whole QB thinking went down:

3/1 - Eagles sign Sam to a 2 year deal, that could easily be made a one year deal. We find out afterwards that Jeff Lurie was a big impetus in getting this done.

3/10 - Eagles sign Chase Daniel to a very lucrative deal for a backup. He had three years in Pedey's offense.

3/11 - Eagles trade the Sanchize to DEN for a '17 pick, which is a 7th if he makes roster and is a 6th (actually TEN's 6th from a trade DEN made) if he starts 4 games. That's a high 6th. Go Sanchez!!

4/28 - after moving up in the draft to the #2 spot, Eagles select QB Carson Wentz

The logic appears confusing at first glance. But what if when Pedey took the Eagles job, he had his eyes set on Daniel as the starter to be a place holder for the QB the Eagles were going to draft. It wasn't a secret they were looking to draft a QB, just at that time we and he didn't know they were picking one with the 2nd pick of the draft!!

He and Daniel had discussions and it was understood that Daniel was his man.

Sometime before March 1st, Jeff comes out and tells Howie and Pedey that Sam is his guy, we need to resign him. There was an article saying how Jeff wanted Sam. They can't tell him no, he signs the checks. However, Pedey wants to live up to his promise to his buddy and signs him to a very lucrative backup contract. Very lucrative vs the market value for other backup deals, with a ton guaranteed. There was really little need to get rid of Sanchez at that point, unless you were paying on a promise IMO.

Then at some point, the mid 1st round pick to a third round pick range where we were going to draft our QB became possibly a very high 2nd pick of the draft. Not hard to see that neither of the two guys they had were likely the LONG term solution and as Jeff has said many times, you need a franchise QB for sustained success and deja vu with the Andy Reid methodology love fest, we could pic another franchise QB at the 2nd spot. It happened before. Play it again!!

Bradford leaves town upset at the happenings.

Lurie sunk a shit load of money into him.

Pedey got a shit load of money for his buddy.

And we got our QB of the future to boot!

Bradford was promised the starting job as a way to justify Jeff's investment. Daniel was paid plenty to keep quiet. And the Kid is behind, but not really competing with anyone in the 3rd spot.

Now if you're Pedey how do you handle the QB situation publicly? You have Sam's feelings, the owner's investment, your investment in Daniel, and the rookie at the #2 pick.

Also, complicating matters a little more is the fact that it is a reasonable expectation for a top tier back up QB with three years in the system, who I found out today, actually wrote some of the playbook, would be ahead of a below average starting QB for a period of time in OTA's and camp. That's not unreasonable to expect that, I don't think.

How do you avoid a touchy situation? You say there is no QB competition. You anoint one guy and keep the other two in their places.

However, the team is in win now mode. You need to play the best QB.

When do you open the competition?

Do you wait until the preseason games and then split the reps with more even units?

Do you wait until the season and have a short leash?

You could maybe sneak in the preseason games reps a little without too much scrutiny. Have Sam play a few series with the ones and pretend you are resting him but keep Chase in for a few series with the ones after Sam leaves.

I think what we will see if Daniel continues to outplay Bradford is a sharing of the preseason game snaps followed by a short leash for the regular season provided Sam is the starter.

Until then, we will get the Sam's our starter mantra.

In fairness to Sam, you do need to give him some time to learn the system before you pull out the competition card. How long do you give? But, in a year you are geared up to win now, and your bosses have spent more cap than we have ever come close to, how much time do you give him to take the lead from Daniel? One could argue that Sam may not be here next year, and if he's not the better option by game two of the preseason, or by game 1 of the regular season, why wait?

When is your cutoff? It's easy if Sam takes the lead. But if he doesn't?

I think I let it go until the 2nd preseason game and then sneak it in. That's August 18th, 17 days for Sam to assert a deserved spot.

Anyone?

Joegrane
They want to get a pick for Sam and don't want to pay him after this year.

Barring injury, a criminal incident or unforseen meltdown, Bradford is The Man.

Pundits want the controversy for ratings.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 2 2016, 12:05 AM) *

I think what we will see if Daniel continues to outplay Bradford is a sharing of the preseason game snaps followed by a short leash for the regular season provided Sam is the starter.

Until then, we will get the Sam's our starter mantra.

In fairness to Sam, you do need to give him some time to learn the system before you pull out the competition card. How long do you give? But, in a year you are geared up to win now, and your bosses have spent more cap than we have ever come close to, how much time do you give him to take the lead from Daniel? One could argue that Sam may not be here next year, and if he's not the better option by game two of the preseason, or by game 1 of the regular season, why wait?

When is your cutoff? It's easy if Sam takes the lead. But if he doesn't?

I think I let it go until the 2nd preseason game and then sneak it in. That's August 18th, 17 days for Sam to assert a deserved spot.

Anyone?

Reality Fan
Outside of the ridiculous conspiracy theory and horrible GMing on this issue do you really consider Matt Lombardo a "pundit"?

and then you wonder why there is apathy......it is because you have guys with no journalistic skills writing about a team in a subjective manner as if they have played or covered football for 30 years instead of 15 minutes.

By the way...if I recall you were singing Bradford's praises in another post on your TC visit....where Daniel was, at best, on par with him....odd
Dreagon
This is the kind of thing that tends to work itself out in preseason. If Daniels lights it up then, you'll probably start seeing a bigger push for him.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 2 2016, 09:01 AM) *
Outside of the ridiculous conspiracy theory and horrible GMing on this issue do you really consider Matt Lombardo a "pundit"?

and then you wonder why there is apathy......it is because you have guys with no journalistic skills writing about a team in a subjective manner as if they have played or covered football for 30 years instead of 15 minutes.

By the way...if I recall you were singing Bradford's praises in another post on your TC visit....where Daniel was, at best, on par with him....odd

"Based on air plays I would list Bradford, then Daniels, then the Kid
Based on 11 v 11 and 7 v 7, I would list Daniel, then Bradfor then the Kid.

In both situations, the Kid is a decent bit behind the #2.

Daniel looked really good. Where the other two were checking down to the short passes more often, he was hitting 15 and 20 yarders down field. Because it's not a true competition where they play against the same D, you can't tell who is actually better. It could be our #1 D is way better than #1 O, while our #2 O is better than our #2 D. That's the problem with having a faux competition. Based on what I saw today, we should be OK if Daniel has to play."

I don't think it as a conspiracy really. If Bradford plays the best he retains the starters spot. Conspiracy would be giving it to his friend without deserving it. I think Pedey is fine if Chase remains #2.The rest is just how to couch it if a change needs to be made and thinking out loud as to how long you let it go before you have a competition if at all and set off all of the talk show panic alerts. I don't think competition from Day 1 is fair to Sam, but you need to do it at some point IMO. Whether that should happen at all in camp and preseason I guess is a matter of opinion. I think it should.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 2 2016, 05:40 PM) *
"Based on air plays I would list Bradford, then Daniels, then the Kid
Based on 11 v 11 and 7 v 7, I would list Daniel, then Bradfor then the Kid.

In both situations, the Kid is a decent bit behind the #2.

Daniel looked really good. Where the other two were checking down to the short passes more often, he was hitting 15 and 20 yarders down field. Because it's not a true competition where they play against the same D, you can't tell who is actually better. It could be our #1 D is way better than #1 O, while our #2 O is better than our #2 D. That's the problem with having a faux competition. Based on what I saw today, we should be OK if Daniel has to play."

I don't think it as a conspiracy really. If Bradford plays the best he retains the starters spot. Conspiracy would be giving it to his friend without deserving it. I think Pedey is fine if Chase remains #2.The rest is just how to couch it if a change needs to be made and thinking out loud as to how long you let it go before you have a competition if at all and set off all of the talk show panic alerts. I don't think competition from Day 1 is fair to Sam, but you need to do it at some point IMO. Whether that should happen at all in camp and preseason I guess is a matter of opinion. I think it should.

This line is my favorite

It could be our #1 D is way better than #1 O, while our #2 O is better than our #2 D. That's the problem with having a faux competition. Based on what I saw today, we should be OK if Daniel has to play."

Really? on a defense where the biggest xoncern is a lack of depth you think the drop off to the 2nd D might be an issue?

God I can't wait for the games to start
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 2 2016, 05:07 PM) *
This line is my favorite

It could be our #1 D is way better than #1 O, while our #2 O is better than our #2 D. That's the problem with having a faux competition. Based on what I saw today, we should be OK if Daniel has to play."

Really? on a defense where the biggest xoncern is a lack of depth you think the drop off to the 2nd D might be an issue?

God I can't wait for the games to start

Yeah it must be the fact that our #2 D was that bad, and it was caused by our juggernaut #1 D being so strong because Lord knows nothing could be the actual play of the QB position when the guy's name is Bradford. rolleyes.gif

Yes, let the games begin.

You said this is a no excuses year. I wish I believed it.

You're in midseason form with the excuse above.
nd9kel
Because it's not a true competition where they play against the same D, you can't tell who is actually better.

This thread is DOA.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 2 2016, 08:56 PM) *
Yeah it must be the fact that our #2 D was that bad, and it was caused by our juggernaut #1 D being so strong because Lord knows nothing could be the actual play of the QB position when the guy's name is Bradford. rolleyes.gif

Yes, let the games begin.

You said this is a no excuses year. I wish I believed it.

You're in midseason form with the excuse above.

I guess Sammy slept with the missus...

I merely point out what you said yourself...this team has no depth on D, particularly at LB...is that wrong? So as you said, maybe the the 2nd D is not that good...well no shit...it has been written about 100 times and anyone with have a brain can see that the 2nd D has no depth at safety either....I did not realize saying that is an excuse.
D Rock
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 3 2016, 01:21 PM) *
I guess Sammy slept with the missus...

And clearly, you're jealous...

rolleyes.gif
Reality Fan
ummm....

This:

Anyone that is pushing the Wentz-could-beat-out-Bradford narrative should be disqualified from covering the Eagles. That isnít to say Wentz wonít be good or that Bradford will be the NFL MVP this season. But itís become increasingly clear that the rookie isnít ready and wonít be close to it for some time Ė as the team had expected. Wentz looks great one moment, completely lost the next Ė like a rookie quarterback. On his first team drill throw, he completely overthrow receiver T.J. Graham. When Wentz is way off itís because his mechanics are way off. He tends to have a slight loop in his backswing. He did it again later and sailed a pass high and wide of Graham. During goal line, he threw low to a wide-open Trey Burton after a short route and had a pass to receiver Jordan Matthews tipped away by safety Chris Maragos. Ertz was alone in the back of the end zone waving his hand.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/...lon-Gordon.html

So...yeah.....
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 3 2016, 02:51 PM) *
ummm....

This:

Anyone that is pushing the Wentz-could-beat-out-Bradford narrative should be disqualified from covering the Eagles. That isnít to say Wentz wonít be good or that Bradford will be the NFL MVP this season. But itís become increasingly clear that the rookie isnít ready and wonít be close to it for some time Ė as the team had expected. Wentz looks great one moment, completely lost the next Ė like a rookie quarterback. On his first team drill throw, he completely overthrow receiver T.J. Graham. When Wentz is way off itís because his mechanics are way off. He tends to have a slight loop in his backswing. He did it again later and sailed a pass high and wide of Graham. During goal line, he threw low to a wide-open Trey Burton after a short route and had a pass to receiver Jordan Matthews tipped away by safety Chris Maragos. Ertz was alone in the back of the end zone waving his hand.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/...lon-Gordon.html

So...yeah.....

Replace Wentz in that narrative with Daniel. Is it still true?
nephillymike
Gordon??

Never heard of him but sounds like a beast!!

I like that a lot.

We need a quality LG and why not the UDFA??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.