Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where's Nabby?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
In mourning no doubt:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/...the-league-now/
The Franchise
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 31 2016, 08:54 PM) *

laugh.gif

If any post can coax him from whatever cock he's riding back to his keyboard, it's this.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 31 2016, 09:54 PM) *

You are cruel
nephillymike
I kid because I care!!
mcnabbulous
I'm around. Just prioritizing dad stuff over talking about this silly season.

It shouldn't come as much of a surprise, but I'd rather go 6-10 with my 25 year old QB and close the book on that chapter then go 9-7 with Fitzpatrick. They have no future with him and he's not going to win them anything. His stats last year were largely a mirage.

Don't forget that Geno outplayed him last offseason and was the projected starter prior to the punch.

They're just wasting their time. But it's the Jets so it's not much of a surprise. He'll be lucky to get out of there and get a fresh start elsewhere.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 2 2016, 05:50 PM) *
I'm around. Just prioritizing dad stuff over talking about this silly season.

It shouldn't come as much of a surprise, but I'd rather go 6-10 with my 25 year old QB and close the book on that chapter then go 9-7 with Fitzpatrick. They have no future with him and he's not going to win them anything. His stats last year were largely a mirage.

Don't forget that Geno outplayed him last offseason and was the projected starter prior to the punch.

They're just wasting their time. But it's the Jets so it's not much of a surprise. He'll be lucky to get out of there and get a fresh start elsewhere.

Ok...I have to ask.....what was a mirage about Fitzpatrick last year? He set a record for TD passes.....with 15 picks vs 31 TDs...I agree he is not a world beater but hiw WRs love him and campaigned for him....where was the mirage...please explain
nephillymike
Nothing like a good Geno post to get Nabby off diaper duty!!
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 2 2016, 05:23 PM) *
Ok...I have to ask.....what was a mirage about Fitzpatrick last year? He set a record for TD passes.....with 15 picks vs 31 TDs...I agree he is not a world beater but hiw WRs love him and campaigned for him....where was the mirage...please explain

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/03/nfl-new-yo...ract-geno-smith

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2016/06...hrown_30_i.html

Two independent evaluations came to the conclusion that he threw 30 interceptable passes last year. He was also the second worst deep ball QB in the league.

Brandon Marshall owned last year. Decker as a number 2 is very solid.

Fitz is what he is. I'm not sure what the Jets hope to achieve this year, but Fitz is going to leave them disappointed.

Like I said, I'd rather put the nail in the Geno coffin than waste a season with Fitz under center. But the NFL is all about status quo.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 2 2016, 08:18 PM) *
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/03/nfl-new-yo...ract-geno-smith

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2016/06...hrown_30_i.html

Two independent evaluations came to the conclusion that he threw 30 interceptable passes last year. He was also the second worst deep ball QB in the league.

Brandon Marshall owned last year. Decker as a number 2 is very solid.

Fitz is what he is. I'm not sure what the Jets hope to achieve this year, but Fitz is going to leave them disappointed.

Like I said, I'd rather put the nail in the Geno coffin than waste a season with Fitz under center. But the NFL is all about status quo.

FWIW, that interceptable pass stat is a good stat.

When Foles had his banner year, there were many reports of him having few INT's but a lot more interceptable passes. Sure enough, he fell to great depths when it evened out. It's also a good betting indicator. Get a guy with a high % on INT to Interceptable passes, the odds normally even out and he has a much better year the next. I remember last preseason, they said Dalton was bitten by a high 5 and he did rebound for a good year.

I find in interesting that he had to settle for $12M.
The Franchise
laugh.gif

And Geno is what he is - a complete and utter bust who you were spectacularly wrong about.

If it was about status quo, the Jets would've stuck with Smith instead of Fitz and they wouldn't have contended for the playoffs last year.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Aug 2 2016, 09:00 PM) *
And Geno is what he is - a complete and utter bust who you were spectacularly wrong about.

And yet he was leading the QB race until he broke his jaw last year. So he must have been doing something right when compared to the savior Ryan Fitzpatrick.

If it was about status quo, the Jets would've stuck with Smith instead of Fitz and they wouldn't have contended for the playoffs last year.

Stuck with him how? He was injured for the first part of the season. By the time he came back, Fitz had fooled people into believing he was something he isn't.

Status quo is fielding a team that has no chance of a serious playoff run with a 33 year old QB on a one year deal. Like I said, I'd rather lose with a young guy than waste my time with that. Especially when the young guy has shown improvement each year in the league.

I really don't give a fuck either way though. The Jets will be slight above average at best this year. It's pointless talking about them. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Fitz throw more picks than TDs this year.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 2 2016, 08:53 PM) *
I find in interesting that he had to settle for $12M.

Why? He's old and overrated.

I mean, I don't blame Marshall and Decker for being happy. It's a more proven commodity to inflate their stats. He's going to take tons of chances and throw up lots of balls for grabs. Marshall is one of the best ever and took advantage.

He'll get his numbers, but the team will be about the same again. Which is a playoff contender with no real shot.

Personally, I'd be disappointed as a Jets fan. Much how I feel about watching Sam instead of Carson. But Sam is 5 years younger and was once a legit premier prospect. So it's somewhat easier to justify.

nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 2 2016, 09:27 PM) *
Why? He's old and overrated.

I mean, I don't blame Marshall and Decker for being happy. It's a more proven commodity to inflate their stats. He's going to take tons of chances and throw up lots of balls for grabs. Marshall is one of the best ever and took advantage.

He'll get his numbers, but the team will be about the same again. Which is a playoff contender with no real shot.

Personally, I'd be disappointed as a Jets fan. Much how I feel about watching Sam instead of Carson. But Sam is 5 years younger and was once a legit premier prospect. So it's somewhat easier to justify.

Well, they have like the same career stats with Fitz having many more wins.

True Sam is younger, but I would not expect a 5.5M difference in their pay.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 3 2016, 01:18 AM) *
I'd rather put the nail in the Geno coffin than waste a season with Fitz under center. But the NFL is all about status quo.

Make no mistake. This IS the nail in the Geno Smith coffin.

Also, despite the Jets being well.... the Jets, one thing is undeniable. They know Geno Smith better than anybody else in the NFL. That they've given up on him should be telling to anyone who doesn't have an agenda.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 3 2016, 02:22 AM) *
And yet he was leading the QB race until he broke his jaw last year. So he must have been doing something right when compared to the savior Ryan Fitzpatrick.

He broke his jaw in early August. So he "won" the spring. It's not like he was lighting it up deep into camp. If he HAD been "winning" the competition, he'd have survived showing the world he is as much a piece of dog shit in the locker room as he is on the field. But that's not what happened is it? Give it up, man.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Aug 3 2016, 12:04 PM) *
He broke his jaw in early August. So he "won" the spring. It's not like he was lighting it up deep into camp. If he HAD been "winning" the competition, he'd have survived showing the world he is as much a piece of dog shit in the locker room as he is on the field. But that's not what happened is it? Give it up, man.

I wonder if the Jets would have given up on Ryan Fitzpatrick after his 3rd season in the NFL. Because after his 4th season, two different teams had. See that's the difference between me and you. Even if I don't like a guy, I can acknowledge that they can get better. Geno has each year, as you would expect. It took Fitzpatrick until his 6th year before he threw more TDs than INTs.

But you guys think he's a world beater because he had moderate success in his 11th year.

Fitz was 28 by the time he had a season that statistically exceeded Geno's age 24 season. But Geno is a bust with no hope. Got it. Geno may suck, but his career trajectory blows Fitz away thus far.

So yeah, I wouldn't waste my time on the 33 year old guy with the limp arm. But that's why they're the Jets.
Reality Fan
To be fair, I think they both suck

Fitz is not the answer......but I do not think Smith is either.....Smith has physical tools but is apparently a real dick.

They should have drafted someone and moved on from both.

The fact that they went with Fitz speaks volumes about Smith and what they think of him and Bowles is a pretty decent football guy
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 3 2016, 03:20 PM) *
To be fair, I think they both suck

I don't think either sucks. I think they'd both be fine backups. Only one of them has any remaining potential to be milked though.

Fitz is not the answer......but I do not think Smith is either.....Smith has physical tools but is apparently a real dick.

Everyone that reports on the Jets references Geno's improved maturity. It does happen, guys. People change from their early 20's.

They should have drafted someone and moved on from both.

They did draft someone. They correctly aren't throwing that person to the wolves. They shouldn't have done so with Geno either.

The fact that they went with Fitz speaks volumes about Smith and what they think of him and Bowles is a pretty decent football guy

It really only says to me that they're satisfied with status quo. It's a classic, conservative football move. Which is how most of these teams operate. I don't know how you move forward as a franchise with a decision like that.

At least the Eagles have a chance to showcase Sam for a future trade. Fitz offers little now and nothing later.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 3 2016, 05:54 PM) *
I wonder if the Jets would have given up on Ryan Fitzpatrick after his 3rd season in the NFL. Because after his 4th season, two different teams had. See that's the difference between me and you. Even if I don't like a guy, I can acknowledge that they can get better. Geno has each year, as you would expect. It took Fitzpatrick until his 6th year before he threw more TDs than INTs.

But you guys think he's a world beater because he had moderate success in his 11th year.

Fitz was 28 by the time he had a season that statistically exceeded Geno's age 24 season. But Geno is a bust with no hope. Got it. Geno may suck, but his career trajectory blows Fitz away thus far.

So yeah, I wouldn't waste my time on the 33 year old guy with the limp arm. But that's why they're the Jets.

Here's the difference....

One was a 7th round draft pick by St. Louis. The other is the guy you thought worthy of a first round pick.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Aug 5 2016, 02:50 PM) *
Here's the difference....

One was a 7th round draft pick by St. Louis. The other is the guy you thought worthy of a first round pick.

That actually makes no difference to me. I didn't believe Geno was ready to play immediately. I believe he could have (and still possibly can) develop into a good QB.

Given the state of the '13 draft, it was a worthwhile risk. Especially when our QBs at the time were Vick and Foles (whom two teams have now given up on).

Now I will grant you, the fact that Geno did not have a positive contribution in his third season is alarming. I'm disappointed that the circumstances weren't the result of his on field performance. I would have expected a healthy step forward. He clearly improved from year one to year two and the addition of Marshall would have obviously helped.

As for the Jets, they gain nothing by starting Fitz this year. He's not good, he has no upside, and he is on a one year deal. I literally can't think of one positive outcome from starting the guy. Geno has been better than him at literally every step of their respective careers.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.