Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why the apathy?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
This place seems to support the notion that there is no "juice" for the upcoming Eagles season. the other day, the Sixers were garnering half of the sports talk conversation on the way home!!

Why so apathetic this year?
Zero
Pederson. The great unknown, milktoast HC. Hasn't shown any fire, public speaking leaves much to be admired and desired and nobody has any idea how he will do other than to lead kumbaya sessions with the team.
Reality Fan
I am so burned out from all the Wentz worship and the Bradford bashing that went on that I needed a break.....

I read the TC reports and they are like the OTA reports.....a celebration of long incompletes from Wentz and an occasional completion with a wobbly ball (still) gets old real quick. The continued evolution of the beat writers becoming advocates rather than reporters and the continued emergence of bloggers with little clue about football but experts on emojis is even more irritating.

When I read anything on BGN or Crossing Broad I am left wishing I could smack either one.

Can't wait for the games.

Joegrane
It is too early. They don't have an hold outs or major controversies. Our draft picks won't make much of an impact this year and there is not a lot of competition for starting jobs.

We'll have to wait for the games before people get interested--angry : )

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 29 2016, 06:33 AM) *
This place seems to support the notion that there is no "juice" for the upcoming Eagles season. the other day, the Sixers were garnering half of the sports talk conversation on the way home!!

The Franchise

Battered Person Syndrome. I've been apathetic for some time now. Frankly, until ownership changes, we're never winning a ring. Once we all realize that, we'll be happier. Or more depressed. I don't know.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jul 29 2016, 01:40 PM) *
Battered Person Syndrome. I've been apathetic for some time now. Frankly, until ownership changes, we're never winning a ring. Once we all realize that, we'll be happier. Or more depressed. I don't know.

Are you serious?

What is Jeffrey Lurie not doing that's holding this team back from winning the Super Bowl that some other owner is going to come in and do?
eagleaddict
No drama is fine by me; much better than the Tebow nonsense last year. I imagine most fans just have Low/no expectations for this year. Coach Doug is boring and the general lack of exciting skill players is setting the bar low, and I'm ok with that. I'm expecting 4-5 wins, but hoping for a few more, with obvious improvement as the season progresses.
The Franchise
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Jul 29 2016, 04:04 PM) *
Are you serious?

What is Jeffrey Lurie not doing that's holding this team back from winning the Super Bowl that some other owner is going to come in and do?

I think it's clear that he's an incompetent businessman. Don't get me wrong, it was very impressive that he got his mother to borrow a couple hundred million dollars for him so he could buy the Eagles (maybe he read 'The Art of the Deal'), but his track record as the head of an organization is bad. Allowing the fiasco between Chip/Howie to occur, continuing to employ Howie in his role, hiring the college fad Chip, allowing Reid to stay as coach many years after it became clear he couldn't win the big one, and now hiring Reid Lite. All this while sinking $53 million into the QB position. We sacrifice two drafts to get a QB from fucking North Dakota State, after signing Bradford? And the guy making those decisions has the full confidence of our owner?!?!? Are YOU serious?

At the end of the day, I don't think he really gives a shit beyond putting a decent product on the field, and making money. For much of his reign we've seen a decent product, no doubt (most of that due to Modrak/Reid bringing in McNabb and JJ). But he's rooting for the Pats every Sunday.
Phits
This place seems to support the notion that there is no "juice" for the upcoming Eagles season.

Despite the suggestion otherwise, i believe this is a rebuilding season. So I will find joy in the small moments during this upcoming season. IMO, an 8-8 season would be an accomplishment.

I'm waiting for the inevitable Bradford injury and the recycled excuses as to why he should be regarded as a great QB despite never accomplishing anything.
Phits
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jul 29 2016, 07:44 PM) *
I think it's clear that he's an incompetent businessman.

His net worth is listed at $1.81 billion USD. I wish I was that incompetent.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Phits @ Jul 29 2016, 07:51 PM) *
His net worth is listed at $1.81 billion USD. I wish I was that incompetent.

If that's your response, you likely are - unfortunately, however, you didn't win the vagina lottery.

Lurie has averaged roughly a 12.3% rate of return on his investment since 1994. For perspective, Jerry Jones is at about 13.3%. This during an extended period of unbridled exponential growth for the NFL. At least they both look like geniuses to Dan Snyder's roughly 9%, though to be fair, he joined the game far after the NFL's revenues started skyrocketing, having to fork over $800 million for the Redskins.

Earning 12% in a business where you literally can't lose money doesn't earn you praise.
nephillymike
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jul 29 2016, 07:27 PM) *
Earning 12% in a business where you literally can't lose money doesn't earn you praise.

True.

Although I like him and wish him success.

I think Jeff suffers in his management style and not a good mix of involvement. His having no clue about the Roseman - Kelly schism spoke volumes. I just get the feeling too often that he's just throwing the catch phrases out there without having much of an idea of how to implement a successful management team. This year's phrases are accountability and collaboration.

Anyone want to chime in with other of Lurie's favorite phrases?
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jul 29 2016, 09:27 AM) *
I am so burned out from all the Wentz worship and the Bradford bashing that went on that I needed a break.....

I read the TC reports and they are like the OTA reports.....a celebration of long incompletes from Wentz and an occasional completion with a wobbly ball (still) gets old real quick. The continued evolution of the beat writers becoming advocates rather than reporters and the continued emergence of bloggers with little clue about football but experts on emojis is even more irritating.

When I read anything on BGN or Crossing Broad I am left wishing I could smack either one.

Can't wait for the games.

Lighten Up Francis!!

No need to hate the Kid.

I've heard more than one reporter say that in practice, Bradford is way ahead of the Kid, but the Kid does throw a real nice deep ball, but has struggled with the short stuff.

Your boy is a lock to start, and if reports are true, deserves to do so.

His issue has never been practice. We need to hope that when the bullets start flying, he delivers in the clutch.

Here's hoping he has a solid season leading the Eagles into the playoffs as the 13th rated passer in the NFL!! devil03.gif
Phits
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jul 29 2016, 08:27 PM) *

It certainly doesn't make you incompetent.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 29 2016, 09:40 PM) *
Lighten Up Francis!!

No need to hate the Kid.

I've heard more than one reporter say that in practice, Bradford is way ahead of the Kid, but the Kid does throw a real nice deep ball, but has struggled with the short stuff.

Your boy is a lock to start, and if reports are true, deserves to do so.

His issue has never been practice. We need to hope that when the bullets start flying, he delivers in the clutch.

Here's hoping he has a solid season leading the Eagles into the playoffs as the 13th rated passer in the NFL!! devil03.gif

Read all the reports...he does not throw a great deep ball...he throws a deep ball more often but he throws a wobbly ball...he has a strong arm, that does not make him accurate
Reality Fan
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jul 29 2016, 08:27 PM) *
If that's your response, you likely are - unfortunately, however, you didn't win the vagina lottery.

Lurie has averaged roughly a 12.3% rate of return on his investment since 1994. For perspective, Jerry Jones is at about 13.3%. This during an extended period of unbridled exponential growth for the NFL. At least they both look like geniuses to Dan Snyder's roughly 9%, though to be fair, he joined the game far after the NFL's revenues started skyrocketing, having to fork over $800 million for the Redskins.

Luries rate of return is 14%, the same as the Cowboys....the difference is that Jones bought the Cowboys 5 years ealier

Forbes breaks it down pretty clearly

and seriously, stop being bitter about someone having more money that you regardless of how he got it

He is a pretty decent owner as owners go

Eyrie
I'm not sure I can be bothered answering the original question wink.gif

I have low expectations for this season - somewhere between 6-10 and 9-7, which makes it difficult to get too excited. I wouldn't even say that this is a rebuilding year as there hasn't been an abnormally large change in personnel given the number of extensions handed out. It is a rebuilding year in the sense that we will see new schemes installed, but that isn't something to provoke the same level of discussion as new personnel.

It doesn't help that we have limited options next year to improve the roster given the cost of the trade up for Wentz and the lack of cap space.

Effectively this season is a write off and next season will be about seeing if Wentz was worth it. The time to get excited will be 2018, when either we have a great prospect or else we have a bust, a new head coach and some high draft picks to rebuild with.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jul 30 2016, 01:31 AM) *
Luries rate of return is 14%, the same as the Cowboys....the difference is that Jones bought the Cowboys 5 years ealier

Forbes breaks it down pretty clearly

and seriously, stop being bitter about someone having more money that you regardless of how he got it

He is a pretty decent owner as owners go

I read the Forbes piece dated September 2015, I simply added a year to calculate interest and they have the same value as far as I know. Sports franchise values are tricky, but it's really irrelevant whether he's made 12% or 15% or whatever. I'm simply saying he's in a business where losing money is impossible, and he clearly isn't very good at managing an organization from a business point of view. The Chip/Howie feud and aftermath highlighted this.

As owners go, you're correct, he IS decent, and I would say good overall. He's wise enough to not be on our tv screens everyday (like Jones), and he allows his people to do their jobs without overly interfering. As a result, during most of his reign, we have seen a decent to good product on the field. The bottom line of the point I was making, however, is that I believe we won't win anything with him as owner. And as I said, he probably doesn't really care all that much beyond having a decent product and making money. As incompetent as Jones and Snyder are, nobody can doubt their devotion.

It was more fun when we were agreeing on how bad the Wentz pick was.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jul 29 2016, 07:44 PM) *
I think it's clear that he's an incompetent businessman. Don't get me wrong, it was very impressive that he got his mother to borrow a couple hundred million dollars for him so he could buy the Eagles (maybe he read 'The Art of the Deal'), but his track record as the head of an organization is bad. Allowing the fiasco between Chip/Howie to occur, continuing to employ Howie in his role, hiring the college fad Chip, allowing Reid to stay as coach many years after it became clear he couldn't win the big one, and now hiring Reid Lite. All this while sinking $53 million into the QB position. We sacrifice two drafts to get a QB from fucking North Dakota State, after signing Bradford? And the guy making those decisions has the full confidence of our owner?!?!? Are YOU serious?

At the end of the day, I don't think he really gives a shit beyond putting a decent product on the field, and making money. For much of his reign we've seen a decent product, no doubt (most of that due to Modrak/Reid bringing in McNabb and JJ). But he's rooting for the Pats every Sunday.

I'll bet a lot of owners in this league wish they could have been as successful as Jeff has been with the Eagles. Then again, maybe alot of those owners don't really care, but I don't think Jeff is one of them. I don't know if he is as passionate now as he was when he first bought the team, but he definitely wants to win.

As for him rooting for the pats every week: Please. That is just being stupid.
The Franchise
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Jul 30 2016, 07:57 PM) *
I don't know if he is as passionate now as he was when he first bought the team, but he definitely wants to win.

As for him rooting for the pats every week: Please. That is just being stupid.

As opposed to losing, no shit. He wants to put a decent product on the field and make money - winning is good for business.

His family has been Pats season ticket holders since the franchise was founded 56 years ago. His first choice was to try buying the Pats. He's a big-time Boston sports fan, and has been his whole life. If you woke up as owner of the Browns tomorrow, would you cease being an Eagles fan?

He's got the Pats game on in his office every Sunday, whether or not the Birds are playing. And yeah, if he was rooting for us at all in the Super Bowl against them, it was only for bragging rights against Robert Kraft. It's incredibly naive to think otherwise.
Eyrie
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jul 31 2016, 03:09 AM) *
As opposed to losing, no shit. He wants to put a decent product on the field and make money - winning is good for business.

His family has been Pats season ticket holders since the franchise was founded 56 years ago. His first choice was to try buying the Pats. He's a big-time Boston sports fan, and has been his whole life. If you woke up as owner of the Browns tomorrow, would you cease being an Eagles fan?

He's got the Pats game on in his office every Sunday, whether or not the Birds are playing. And yeah, if he was rooting for us at all in the Super Bowl against them, it was only for bragging rights against Robert Kraft. It's incredibly naive to think otherwise.

Lurie has owned the Eagles since 1994, so it's reasonable rather than na´ve to assume that he is rooting for us every week against every opponent.

You'd consider it ridiculous if a player said he wasn't bothered about the outcome of a SuperBowl just because his opponent in that game was his childhood team, so why should Lurie be different? Would you want the Eagles or the Browns to win if you were a Browns player in that situation?
The Franchise
Lurie has owned the Eagles since 1994, so it's reasonable rather than na´ve to assume that he is rooting for us every week against every opponent.

Try reading what i actually wrote, and respond to that.

You'd consider it ridiculous if a player said he wasn't bothered about the outcome of a SuperBowl just because his opponent in that game was his childhood team, so why should Lurie be different? Would you want the Eagles or the Browns to win if you were a Browns player in that situation?

Working your whole life to achieve the greatness of winning a championship in the sport you've devoted your life to transcends the laundry you once rooted for, unlike sitting in a heated office watching a team play. And even then, we've heard stories from players who switch teams for the first time in their career near the end of their careers, saying that they never really felt comfortable in their new uniform. Lurie has never had to work for anything.
Phits
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jul 30 2016, 10:09 PM) *
He's a big-time Boston sports fan, and has been his whole life. If you woke up as owner of the Browns tomorrow, would you cease being an Eagles fan?

I was a lifelong Knicks fan until Toronto (Raptors) got a franchise.

He's got the Pats game on in his office every Sunday, whether or not the Birds are playing.

Source?
The Franchise
QUOTE (Phits @ Aug 1 2016, 01:10 AM) *
I was a lifelong Knicks fan until Toronto (Raptors) got a franchise.

Then you weren't a real fan anyway. And nobody cares.
Reality Fan

I finally nailed down why I am so apathetic this year.....no Ray Diddy right now. Who do we get?

Fat Rube (and wow is he fat now)....after all the shit he spewed on Bradford he actually penned an article that started out with ""now I like Sam Bradford more than most"...he is one of the worst beat writers ever.
Derrick Gunn who's only concern is being buddies with Cox and whoever else lets him sniff there jock...almost zero real reporting from him outside of his work being a tool for players and agents.

and now the real culprits because I could deal with Gunn and Frank but these lads..

Dave Zangaro? The little gremlin who never played football and it shows...I could deal with that but he talks about the Eagles as if he is Ray Diddy and says some of the dumbest things
Elliot Shor Parks...ok..I hate the name and this douche lives up to it....another guy who ignores history, facts and performance and is almost cocky for some mystery reason...he spends more time on hair products than learning the game ...truly horrible.
Brandon Lee Gowton.....first the guy knows very little about football...a social media geek who has a serious bone with Bradford and a boner for Wentz...that being said he takes credit for posting articles from others and writes pretty poorly

I miss Mosier, Diddy, Hoffman

I like Murphy and can read McClane.....Sielski is getting better but too much of the coverage is from guys who do work barely worthy of an entry for a Journalism 101 class.
Phits
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Aug 1 2016, 11:30 AM) *
Then you weren't a real fan anyway. And nobody cares.

From the mouth of the privileged.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.