Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Camp Next Week!!
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Summer vacation is over!!

Let the fun begin!!

The overall expectations seem to be so low, it is kind of odd this year.

I'm hearing 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 etc.

You hear SI rated Howie 32nd GM, someone else rated Pedey bottom few in coaches.

Now all of a sudden the NYG, DAL and WAS are supposed to be so good.

Fuck'em.

Hopefully Pedey will surprise, and we can produce an above average O and D, and get a playoff spot to make things fun again.

One concern that I have is that for all Chip wasn't, he did have guys open with a lot of space, whether it was a RB on the 2nd level or a WR wide open down the seam. Hopefully Pedey can produce comparable spacing.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 23 2016, 08:57 PM) *
Summer vacation is over!!

Fuck'em.

Hopefully Pedey will surprise, and we can produce an above average O and D, and get a playoff spot to make things fun again.

One concern that I have is that for all Chip wasn't, he did have guys open with a lot of space, whether it was a RB on the 2nd level or a WR wide open down the seam. Hopefully Pedey can produce comparable spacing.

The reason guys were open is the league knew his offense and the play had already gone to a back as it was intended....or the TE or some other short screen....it will be interesting to see an offense where a QB can do what he sees as his best option...
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jul 23 2016, 10:25 PM) *
The reason guys were open is the league knew his offense and the play had already gone to a back as it was intended....or the TE or some other short screen....it will be interesting to see an offense where a QB can do what he sees as his best option...

Huh?

I don't follow.

If the league knew the play, wouldn't it be covered?
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 23 2016, 11:32 PM) *
Huh?

I don't follow.

If the league knew the play, wouldn't it be covered?

no...they knew where the ball was going quite a bit...that was where they marshaled their defense. Why cover the slot downfield if you know the play is going to the opposite side for a swing pass?
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jul 24 2016, 09:54 AM) *
no...they knew where the ball was going quite a bit...that was where they marshaled their defense. Why cover the slot downfield if you know the play is going to the opposite side for a swing pass?

No, I meant that the guys who we threw it to or ran it with were open.

In Chips offense, there seemed to be fewer tight windows and more room in general.

Last year less than other years, but they just seemed to have room. Not as much in Andy's offense.

Not saying that Chip's was better, but just seemed to have room, even with lesser talent at some positions.

I'm hoping that Pedey can get the same looks.
Dreagon
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 23 2016, 07:57 PM) *
Now all of a sudden the NYG, DAL and WAS are supposed to be so good.

The fans don't seem to think so.

Most Dallas fans I know are just waiting for Romo to go down and are pissed about Jerry not paying what it took to get Paxton Lynch, and then using the second round pick on a guy who may never see the football field.

Most Giant fans are kinda hoping Eli finds his mojo again, but they don't sound very convinced.

Heck, the most smack talking I'm seeing is coming out of Washington nowadays.

But holy hell, yeah! I'm ready for some training camp news!
Joegrane
One reporter is lamenting that the Eagles could be boring.

That is in contrast to all of the controversy surrounding Chip K.

The Eagles don't have a QB controversy, hold outs or druggies being suspended.

There isn't even a lot of competition for starting jobs.

Of course "boring" is horrible for reporters. There is so little to report that they have to write stories about how boring the team is.

QUOTE (Dreagon @ Jul 24 2016, 08:08 PM) *
... yeah! I'm ready for some training camp news!

Dreagon
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Jul 25 2016, 08:55 PM) *
Of course "boring" is horrible for reporters. There is so little to report that they have to write stories about how boring the team is.

Boring is good. Boring is when progress is being made.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Jul 25 2016, 08:55 PM) *
There isn't even a lot of competition for starting jobs.

On a 7-9 team, there should be plenty of competition for starting jobs.

The list of solid starters on this team is too short to handle it any other way.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 25 2016, 10:30 PM) *

The list of solid starters on this team is too short to handle it any other way.

Is it?

Offense:
Left OG
WR x 2
RB

Defense:
CB x 2

There is your competition spots

I guess you could be silly and say QB but do you honestly see Daniel as competition? Wentz isn't competition until he can throw a spiral...he has a long way to go.

Reading all the coverage is funny in regards to Wentz.....some of the younger writers lionize his decisions to throw the ball deep in drills regardless of whether most are overthrown or intercepted....they obviously live in the Madden world.

This camp will not be that interesting until injuries start popping up.

I miss Lehigh so much
Joegrane

The list of solid starters on this team is too short to handle it any other way

That is the way it should be. However when your 1st rounder is not even going to be active most weeks and you gave up the farm to get him, you won't have much competition. Furthermore they have not had many good drafts recently.

QUOTE ( @ Jul 26 2016, 11:12 AM) *
Offense:
Left OG
WR x 2
RB

Defense:
CB x 2

There is your competition spots

I agree about CB. One capable CB will be very unhappy. I don't know what McKelvin at 30 has left in the tank. Maybe he is ideal for a limited slot role.

I'd still love to see Rowe at S; however, his size is probably attractive for the Red Zone CB role. Is he smart enough to learn both an outside CB job and the backup S job? Probably not at this early stage in his career.

I think they plan to do WR by committee. "Starter" is probably meaningless. I bet they rotate the starters.

The coach seems to have a clear favorite at L OG.

There is no competition for starter at RB when one of the guys is a former Pro Bowler, another other is clearly a 3rd down back, the rookie can't pick up a blitz or break a tackle and the other guy is an undersized Duck who could be replaced by someone picked up off of waivers after preseason.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.