Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: To me it's simple
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
You have an open competition in training camp and the preseason. By open, I mean OPEN.

The top two suit up, the third sits.

Assuming the prediction hold and the kid is the bottom of the totem pole dweller, then the Kid doesn't play a snap until the Eagles are out of the playoffs. If and then, he plays every snap. If he is better than either of the other two in the competition, then the third best sits.

Not a difficult thing.

The only difficult part is the hurt feelings of making it an OPEN competition, and maybe some potential hindsight financial stupidity if the kid beats out one of the others.

To be perfectly clear, Bradford or Daniel does not have any cred to be handed ANYTHING in this league, let alone on this team.

Bradford's weekly passer rating was eclipsed by either Winston or Mariota more weeks than not. It's not a stretch to think it is possible for the kid to do the same. If nothing else, he won't be check down Charlie. They will have to defend the last third.

That being said, I don't think the kid shows enough to be the starter, but on purely play basis, I think he has a decent shot at being #2 on merit.

Open comp, best two suit, third sits. Coaching 101 shit, not rocket science.
Dreagon
I'm gonna side with Bill Parcells and say that letting a small school QB sit for a year or so is best for all concerned.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 19 2016, 11:14 PM) *
Bradford's weekly passer rating was eclipsed by either Winston or Mariota more weeks than not. It's not a stretch to think it is possible for the kid to do the same. If nothing else, he won't be check down Charlie. They will have to defend the last third.

This year will be a much fairer indicator. He'll be coming off of a healthy off season and one where he actually participated in a football program. Not meant to make excuses, but it's really not a reasonable comparison. This year, he either does it or takes a seat on the Ryan Leaf Express.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 19 2016, 11:14 PM) *
To be perfectly clear, Bradford or Daniel does not have any cred to be handed ANYTHING in this league, let alone on this team.

umm...might as well start early.....forget the first few games last year....Bradford was 4th in the NFL (the entire league for you challenged types) in plays over 40 yards.....4th....so put that in your "last third" pipe and smoke it....

times yours...
nd9kel
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jul 20 2016, 12:52 PM) *
umm...might as well start early.....forget the first few games last year....Bradford was 4th in the NFL (the entire league for you challenged types) in plays over 40 yards.....4th....so put that in your "last third" pipe and smoke it....

times yours...

It seems that Pederson is setting Sam up with an offense that has similarities with the one that got him Rookie of the Year. That's why I'm optimistic we will have a far better start to the regular season. The pre-season means practically nothing as a preview as last year proved.

But yet again Bradford has to learn a new offense. He's had to do so EVERY season of his career that he has played. At least he got a jump on it last spring...From which he came out as the clear #1 to the OP's point.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nd9kel @ Jul 21 2016, 10:04 AM) *
It seems that Pederson is setting Sam up with an offense that has similarities with the one that got him Rookie of the Year. That's why I'm optimistic we will have a far better start to the regular season. The pre-season means practically nothing as a preview as last year proved.

But yet again Bradford has to learn a new offense. He's had to do so EVERY season of his career that he has played. At least he got a jump on it last spring...From which he came out as the clear #1 to the OP's point.

I think you are very correct....Pederson is going to give Bradford every chance to succeed with his offense. I think that will benefit them both.

I do not think it is such a big deal for Bradford because he has run this offense.

Being that this is Philly expect Bradford to have a monster year so that trading or cutting him is not a simple decision.
Nothing here is easy.
nd9kel
*10-6 and Pederson will be hailed as a successful coach
*Playoff game and Pederson will be hailed as an inspired hire
*Two playoff games and we have a problem Houston...what to do with Bradford?
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jul 20 2016, 12:52 PM) *

times yours...

Time taken and well used :

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/qu...air-yards/2015/

Of the top 32 starting QB's, Bradford is 30th of 32 in air yards per attempt, .01 yds/attempt from last. Yep, he's the second coming of Darryl Lamonica!!

When I meant cover the back third of the field, I meant for passes in the air, not check down Charlie specials caught at the line of scrimmage and well blocked for a twenty yard gain down field.

BTW, let's sure up that bet. I need to start scouting out good wings and beer spots for you to treat with this year!!
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 21 2016, 08:13 PM) *
BTW, let's sure up that bet. I need to start scouting out good wings and beer spots for you to treat with this year!!

Chickies. jumpclap.gif
Joegrane
Don't worry, even a HoF coach couldn't take them to the playoffs especially in year 1.

After reviewing the list of WRs and CBs you'll be able to confidently schedule your January weekend skiing trip : )

If they go 10-6 it will be due to a Top 10 D and an offensive philosophy that takes pressure off of the D.

QUOTE (nd9kel @ Jul 21 2016, 03:22 PM) *
*10-6 and Pederson will be hailed as a successful coach
*Playoff game and Pederson will be hailed as an inspired hire
*Two playoff games and we have a problem Houston...what to do with Bradford?
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 21 2016, 08:13 PM) *
Time taken and well used :

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/qu...air-yards/2015/

Of the top 32 starting QB's, Bradford is 30th of 32 in air yards per attempt, .01 yds/attempt from last. Yep, he's the second coming of Darryl Lamonica!!

When I meant cover the back third of the field, I meant for passes in the air, not check down Charlie specials caught at the line of scrimmage and well blocked for a twenty yard gain down field.

His air yards took a hit because the first 4 weeks he threw everything short. If you watched the 2nd half of the season and say he did not throw the ball downfield than I can't help you
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jul 21 2016, 10:50 PM) *
His air yards took a hit because the first 4 weeks he threw everything short. If you watched the 2nd half of the season and say he did not throw the ball downfield than I can't help you

It cracks me up.

With Sam, we're always eliminating this and eliminating that.

But, if you just take his last 7 games........................................

If we take his best 7 game stretch last year, we find out that his best seven game stretch ranked 21st in the league in best 7 game stretches.

Eliminate the first four games of check down charlie?

To have a season average so low, where is he when we eliminate his first four games? 1st? Anywhere nearly as good as your stat suggested? My guess is a bad first four games and a 20-24ish rest of the season gets one a season ranking 30th, .01 from last in air yards per attempt.

Sam Mad Bomber Bradford.

Has a nice ring to it!!
Pila
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 22 2016, 11:34 AM) *

If we take his best 7 game stretch last year, we find out that his best seven game stretch ranked 21st in the league in best 7 game stretches.

This has nothing to do with the discussion. RF's point is that in the second half of the season, he did indeed aired it out more often. It may not have been enough to overcome the frustrating 1st half of the week stat wise, but he did in fact launch it more often in the second.

It's possible that he still didn't go deep often enough in comparison to league-wide attempts, and if so I'd suggest that to be more a product of Chip's offense and the lack of true top-end speedster on the starting lineup because Bradford showed willingness to go deep and connect often when it was there for the taking.

This 'check-down Charlie' shit isn't consistent with what we saw in the second half of the season, although I don't immediately dismiss that it could have looked differently to someone with his head buried in stats instead of watching the games.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 22 2016, 06:34 AM) *
It cracks me up.

With Sam, we're always eliminating this and eliminating that.

Eliminate the first four games of check down charlie?

To have a season average so low, where is he when we eliminate his first four games? 1st? Anywhere nearly as good as your stat suggested? My guess is a bad first four games and a 20-24ish rest of the season gets one a season ranking 30th, .01 from last in air yards per attempt.

Sam Mad Bomber Bradford.

Has a nice ring to it!!

You mean like ignoring a guy coming off 2 successive torn ACLs and missing nearly 2 years of football and unable to completely participate in OTAs? You are right....lets look at everything in a vacuum....because that is reality....so now, in a vacuum, explain how "check down" Charlie was 4th in plays of 40 yards or more without any caveats....go ahead....I want to hear it....was it our awesome WRs? Can't wait to hear it....
nd9kel
Just for shoots and giggles: BEFORE the Eagles traded up to #2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wS1S03qUZA
nephillymike
QUOTE (Pila @ Jul 22 2016, 08:42 AM) *
This has nothing to do with the discussion. RF's point is that in the second half of the season, he did indeed aired it out more often. It may not have been enough to overcome the frustrating 1st half of the week stat wise, but he did in fact launch it more often in the second.

It's possible that he still didn't go deep often enough in comparison to league-wide attempts, and if so I'd suggest that to be more a product of Chip's offense and the lack of true top-end speedster on the starting lineup because Bradford showed willingness to go deep and connect often when it was there for the taking.

This 'check-down Charlie' shit isn't consistent with what we saw in the second half of the season, although I don't immediately dismiss that it could have looked differently to someone with his head buried in stats instead of watching the games.

Buried in the stats?

I didn't throw out the stat of 40 yard pass plays.

I watched every play of the Eagles season and watched more than half of them a second time after I recorded them.

RF had the stat. I'm thinking, that isn't what I SAW. So then I thought that there must be a stat out there that says how far he threw the ball. Sure enough, voila! There is. 30th of 32, .01 ahead of last. I didn't make it up.

I think what happens with Bradford, is that he at times is so bad in his career, that any improvement is exaggerated, even if said improvement is just below average.

Hey, as an Eagles fan, I hope he lights it up. I have no allegiance to Daniel or Wentz. I just want an open competition and the best guy to play and play well. I've never won a SB and I don't care who the QB is that gets me one, if it will ever happen that is! I just ain't buying the swamp land in Florida you guys are selling. Doesn't mean he can't do well this year. But it does mean he didn't do well last year.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 23 2016, 06:39 AM) *
Buried in the stats?

I didn't throw out the stat of 40 yard pass plays.

I watched every play of the Eagles season and watched more than half of them a second time after I recorded them.

RF had the stat. I'm thinking, that isn't what I SAW. So then I thought that there must be a stat out there that says how far he threw the ball. Sure enough, voila! There is. 30th of 32, .01 ahead of last. I didn't make it up.

I think what happens with Bradford, is that he at times is so bad in his career, that any improvement is exaggerated, even if said improvement is just below average.

Hey, as an Eagles fan, I hope he lights it up. I have no allegiance to Daniel or Wentz. I just want an open competition and the best guy to play and play well. I've never won a SB and I don't care who the QB is that gets me one, if it will ever happen that is! I just ain't buying the swamp land in Florida you guys are selling. Doesn't mean he can't do well this year. But it does mean he didn't do well last year.

I am left wondering what you did see. Even fat Ruben Frank the hot mess admitted that Bradford, after staying away from he deep ball through 4 games started going downfield as the season progressed. I realize it is tough to understand that air yards will always be subjective to scheme which is what makes it one of the most irrelevant and idiotic stats ever referenced. Kelly's scheme is rich on screens and RBs and WRs catching the ball behind the line of scrimmage so any QB in that scheme will have a lower Air Yds number. Apparently, by your warped logic, Matthew Stafford and Phillip Rivers and Joe Flacco and Aaron Rodgers are now checkdown charlies....do you even look at the stats you reference?

Too damn funny....
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jul 23 2016, 02:32 PM) *
I am left wondering what you did see. Even fat Ruben Frank the hot mess admitted that Bradford, after staying away from he deep ball through 4 games started going downfield as the season progressed. I realize it is tough to understand that air yards will always be subjective to scheme which is what makes it one of the most irrelevant and idiotic stats ever referenced. Kelly's scheme is rich on screens and RBs and WRs catching the ball behind the line of scrimmage so any QB in that scheme will have a lower Air Yds number. Apparently, by your warped logic, Matthew Stafford and Phillip Rivers and Joe Flacco and Aaron Rodgers are now checkdown charlies....do you even look at the stats you reference?

Too damn funny....

As I'm sure your lofty stat of 40+ yard pass plays have him better than a bunch of Pro Bowl/HOF type QB's than it must be true that he is in their company.... rolleyes.gif

Joegrane
The video is still relevant since Sam B is still the starter.

I won't be surprised if we see many more plays like those. I think Bradford will do his part to get Ws for the Eagles this year and show that he can be a solid starting QB.

QUOTE (nd9kel @ Jul 22 2016, 06:15 PM) *
Just for shoots and giggles: BEFORE the Eagles traded up to #2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wS1S03qUZA
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 23 2016, 07:21 PM) *
As I'm sure your lofty stat of 40+ yard pass plays have him better than a bunch of Pro Bowl/HOF type QB's than it must be true that he is in their company.... rolleyes.gif

A foolish conclusion to be sure......I merely point out the fallacy that he does not throw down field or opt for the 5 yard pass which countless highlight reels show...hell, use youtube to watch every throw in the Atlanta game for proof and that was early..

I merely point out what a completely idiotic stat Air Yards are.... Arizona throws the ball downfield because they have great WRs....their QBs air yards will be higher because they have very few plays where the QB throws the ball to a player 5 yards behind the los....Guys like Reid and Kelly live on those plays....their QBs are going to reflect that in the Air Yard stat....that does not mean they do not throw the ball deep, it means that they run the offense they are given. The fact that Bradford ranked so high in plays over 40 yards merely shows that he does not just dink and dunk the ball like some clown on here suggests...oops...sorry...

Using the QBs mentioned demonstrates how terrible a stat Air Yards is yet somehow you equate that as a comparison of talent...great work

watch the games instead of dreaming about some skanky North Philly bartenders...you will make better comments..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.