Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eagles lose another one .. RIP Marion Campbell
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Listening to the radio today, I was surprised people didn't know how he got the name Swamp Fox without an internet search.

Rest in peace, Swampy.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Jul 18 2016, 06:03 PM) *
Listening to the radio today, I was surprised people didn't know how he got the name Swamp Fox without an internet search.

Rest in peace, Swampy.

Refresh my memory on that, if you would.

I didn't hear any sports talk today and missed the story.
Joegrane
Ray Didi had a nice interview where he reminded people of some of the history:

Is sadly remembered best for the unsuccessful tenure as Eagles head coach.

Was a very successful defensive coordinator during Vermeil's era and the Super Bowl appearance.

Was a Pro Bowl DE on the 1960 Championship team.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 18 2016, 08:48 PM) *

The Franchise
QUOTE (Zero @ Jul 18 2016, 06:03 PM) *

Rest in peace, Swampy.

The inspiration for Mel Gibson's character in 'The Patriot' was nicknamed the Swamp Fox, and his last name was Marion. And Campbell was also from South Carolina. Unless there's something else I couldn't find in google, that's a pretty big leap for a nickname.

34-80-1 as a head coach - damn, even Chip Kelly will eclipse that before he gets run out of the league. But for his years of service as a player and coordinator, RIP.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 18 2016, 08:48 PM) *

Swampy was born in South Carolina and was nicknamed after a hero of the American Revolution:
Francis "Swamp Fox" Marion (ca. 1732 February 27, 1795) was a military officer who served in the American Revolutionary War. Acting with the Continental Army and South Carolina militia commissions, he was a persistent adversary of the British in their occupation of South Carolina in 1780 and 1781, even after the Continental Army was driven out of the state in the Battle of Camden.

Due to his irregular methods of warfare, he is considered one of the fathers of modern guerrilla warfare and maneuver warfare, and is credited in the lineage of the United States Army Rangers. He was known as the "The Swamp Fox".
Here ..
nephillymike
Thanks Z.

Did not know that.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 19 2016, 08:20 PM) *
Thanks Z.

Did not know that.

Seriously? Where did you go to grade school?

Even more egregious is that you are from Philly were the American Revolution has deep roots....

Shaking my head.....did you not watch Patriot? He is one of the guys that Gibson's character is based on....
Joegrane
He inherited a team that was bound to be on the downswing.

Some guys are very good coordinators but not well suited for the HC job.

I don't think the great DC, Jim Johnson, would have been a good HC.

QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jul 19 2016, 03:22 AM) *
34-80-1 as a head coach - damn, even Chip Kelly will eclipse that before he gets run out of the league. But for his years of service as a player and coordinator, RIP.

nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jul 19 2016, 07:57 PM) *
Seriously? Where did you go to grade school?

Even more egregious is that you are from Philly were the American Revolution has deep roots....

Shaking my head.....did you not watch Patriot? He is one of the guys that Gibson's character is based on....

I've watched the Patriot two or three times and while I knew Gibson's character was based on a real person, did not know the connection to our Swamp Fox.

Learn something new every day.

Unless of course you are a know it all................................... devil03.gif
The Franchise
He inherited a team that was bound to be on the downswing.

Are you referring to the '74 Falcons, the '83 Eagles, or the '87 Falcons? laugh.gif

Some guys are very good coordinators but not well suited for the HC job.

I don't think the great DC, Jim Johnson, would have been a good HC.

Agreed, same with LeBeau and many others. Having to pay attention to the other half of an organization has to be a big leap for most.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jul 19 2016, 10:29 PM) *
I've watched the Patriot two or three times and while I knew Gibson's character was based on a real person, did not know the connection to our Swamp Fox.

Learn something new every day.

Unless of course you are a know it all................................... devil03.gif

I think it's really interesting that a revolutionary hero took the nickname of a football coach. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.