Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sixers and Harrison Barnes...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
D Rock
First, I think Barnes is a bit over rated. But, considering how tough it will be for us to get back court prospects in free agency, Barnes would be a serious "get" for the Sixers. He's a capable defender, who can guard 2-3-4, and would be our best shooter on the perimeter we'd have instantly.

This guy makes a case for how it could work for Barnes too...

Click the Link
Joegrane
Is he the equivalent of B Maxwell, over-rated due to being surrounded by so much talent?

I don't expect anyone except a desperate, aging veteran with nowhere else to go to sign with the Sixers. Instead of Sam H preferring a D-Leaguer or 2nd round pick to an aging vet, Colangelo will sign the vet.

QUOTE (D Rock @ Jun 28 2016, 06:09 PM) *
First, I think Barnes is a bit over rated. But, considering how tough it will be for us to get back court prospects in free agency, Barnes would be a serious "get" for the Sixers. He's a capable defender, who can guard 2-3-4, and would be our best shooter on the perimeter we'd have instantly.

This guy makes a case for how it could work for Barnes too...

Click the Link
Joegrane
As you indicated, considering the Sixer's situation, I think Jerryd Bayless is a very nice fit. I did not expect them to be able to attract someone that "young" 28 yrs(?)

He is a shooter, so on O he will often be the SG while Simmons runs the half-court O.

He should provide some veteran leadership. He does not have a bad reputation in terms of locker room or off-court issues.

He is not such a big name that he will bristle when they draft his replacement in the Top 10 of the draft next year. (Hopefully he has never heard of Sam Bradford. )

QUOTE (D Rock @ Jun 28 2016, 06:09 PM) *
... considering how tough it will be for us to get back court prospects in free agency, Barnes would be a serious "get" for the Sixers. He's a capable defender, who can guard 2-3-4, and would be our best shooter on the perimeter we'd have instantly.
Joegrane
The Jerryd Bayless signing makes sense. Supposedly they are talking to Rajon Rondo! Will he come off the bench when Simmons is not on the floor to feed Okafor in the low post?

QUOTE (Joegrane @ Jul 1 2016, 10:40 PM) *
As you indicated, considering the Sixer's situation, I think Jerryd Bayless is a very nice fit. I did not expect them to be able to attract someone that "young" 28 yrs(?)

He is a shooter, so on O he will often be the SG while Simmons runs the half-court O.

He should provide some veteran leadership. He does not have a bad reputation in terms of locker room or off-court issues.

He is not such a big name that he will bristle when they draft his replacement in the Top 10 of the draft next year. (Hopefully he has never heard of Sam Bradford. )

Joegrane
The signing of 30 yr old PG Sergio Rodriguez initially did not make any sense to me.

CSN reports, " Rodriguez (6-foot-3, 168 pounds) has an NBA career ... three-point field goal percentage of 31.6 percent.

However Libertyballers reports. "...according to the Euroleague website, he's averaged 10.9 points, ..., shooting 40.9% beyond the arc ... for 2015-2016. He won Euroleague MVP in 2014 and [his team] won the Euroleague title in 2015.

That says to me they've added a veteran PG who can shoot, knows what it takes to win and has experience leading a team to a championship.

So will he be the starting PG and Bayless be the starting SG?

If so, who is going to defend the opposing team's best backcourt scorer?

I know Luwawu is projected as a good defender but how soon will he develop NBA-level skills?

So Collangelo has succeeded in surrounding Simmons with shooters. He added the two FAs to Covington and H Thompson.

Hopefully N Stauskas can regain his college shooting % with fewer minutes and less responsibility.

If Saric comes over, hopefully his improved shooting % in Europe will translate to the NBA.

They should win a lot more than 10 games next year and rarely get blown out.

I bet we'll be watching the standings of the Kings frequently next year since the Sixers might be in a position to take advantage of the opportunity to swap picks with them.

QUOTE (Joegrane @ Jul 2 2016, 07:38 PM) *
The Jerryd Bayless signing makes sense. Supposedly they are talking to Rajon Rondo! Will he come off the bench when Simmons is not on the floor to feed Okafor in the low post?
D Rock
I like what they're doing so far. Gerald Henderson now at 2Guard. Not a bad deal. The worst thing BC could do would be hem us into a bad contract, and he's avoided that so far.

Did anyone catch the summer league debut of Simmons and TLC last night? Simmons looks legit. Had some cramping issues in the 4th and had to leave the game, but the guy hasn't played ball in almost 5 months, had participated in only a single practice prior to taking the floor. He looked to be in command of the team when on the floor. He hit his only jumper, a 15 footer from the left elbow, although he did look hesitant. That mid range jumper will be key for him to keep defenders from backing off. He looked quick. He certainly sees the court like a veteran. He made about 4 or 5 unbelievable passes. Was a monster on the boards. He was a 65% free thrower at LSU, but went 6 for 6 at the stripe in his debut. Major improvement. He looked like a grown man playing vs. boys.

TLC looks to be about what one would expect. He hit his only 3, from the top after a nice kick out pass from Simmons. He defended well at times, but was vicitimized a few times with mis direction. Looks fast, athletic, with a decent stroke.

I'm setting my expectations on the over / under for wins this season at 25.
D Rock
Also to add....

It was also the debut of Jaylen Brown (#3 pick from Celtics). Simmons ate him alive. Played solid D against him, blocking his shot at least once, and drawing a charge against him on another would be drive.

I thought Brown looked pretty 'meh.
Joegrane
QUOTE (D Rock)
I like what they're doing so far. Gerald Henderson now at 2Guard. Not a bad deal.

Since he is not much of a shooter how does he fit in, backup SG?

The worst thing BC could do would be hem us into a bad contract, and he's avoided that so far.

Very true, they could draft two guards in the Top 10 next year, three if they get a Top10 pick for one of the Centers.

Thx for the review of the game.

I'm setting my expectations on the over / under for wins this season at 25.

That seems reasonable; although I'm hoping for a few more.

With the depth they now have in their back court, they may be able to use tempo to get a few more possessions per game for their deep front court and maybe wear down other teams to some extent.
D Rock
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Jul 5 2016, 10:09 PM) *
Since he is not much of a shooter how does he fit in, backup SG?

He fits in as a defensive stopper. At 6'5" with a 6'10" span, he's easily the best perimeter defender we have. And while he's not going to be considered a splash bros. by any stretch, he's a career 45% shooter, (32% from 3) which is to say, he's not terrible. He's an upgrade over any back court player we had last year save maybe covington.

I know it's been 3/4s of a single summer league game that we've seen from Ben, but it looks like he's as advertised and his greatest strength will be leading the break after a defensive board. If we can agree that there's some truth to that prognostication, then perimeter defenders will be of as much a premium for us as perimeter shooting.

And once again . . . let's face it . . . we're simply not in any position to fill both those needs in a single player. Not this summer. (unless via trade)
HobbEs
I agree with D Rock. I love what they're doing so far...bringing in veterans who know how to play the game to help the youngsters along. Gone are the Jakar Samsons, the Isiah Canaans and the rest of the D-League trash that cluttered this roster for the last few years. While the guys BC is bringing in may not be world beaters they are legit NBA players on reasonable contracts.

Next year is supposed to be a Point Guard heavy draft. We have our pick (likely to be lottery), the Lakers pick (top 3 protected) and the rights to swap with the Kings. We will hopefully be able to land a top flight guard.

In 2018 we get the Kings pick outright and if the Lakers pick doesn't convey next year it becomes unprotected. We'll still have the chance to grab a big time player in the draft. Also, the guys BC is signing now will be rolling off.

We're not out of the woods yet but you can see this team has a clear cut direction and that's a refreshing change from the last regime.
Joegrane
I see what you mean about Henderson. There is a nice article with quotes on him here.
http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-76er...ieves-team-come

QUOTE (D Rock @ Jul 5 2016, 06:03 PM) *
He fits in as a defensive stopper. At 6'5" with a 6'10" span, he's easily the best perimeter defender we have. And while he's not going to be considered a splash bros. by any stretch, he's a career 45% shooter, (32% from 3) which is to say, he's not terrible. He's an upgrade over any back court player we had last year save maybe covington.

I know it's been 3/4s of a single summer league game that we've seen from Ben, but it looks like he's as advertised and his greatest strength will be leading the break after a defensive board. If we can agree that there's some truth to that prognostication, then perimeter defenders will be of as much a premium for us as perimeter shooting.

And once again . . . let's face it . . . we're simply not in any position to fill both those needs in a single player. Not this summer. (unless via trade)

Joegrane
Looks like D. Saric is actually coming this year! Two point-forwards on the floor at times with two combo guards. There should be some dynamic passing.
http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-76er...n-sixers-friday

I hear Nova PG Ryan A. signed with the Spurs and got some guaranteed $.

QUOTE (HobbEs @ Jul 6 2016, 09:10 AM) *
I agree with D Rock. I love what they're doing so far...bringing in veterans who know how to play the game to help the youngsters along. Gone are the Jakar Samsons, the Isiah Canaans and the rest of the D-League trash that cluttered this roster for the last few years. While the guys BC is bringing in may not be world beaters they are legit NBA players on reasonable contracts.

Next year is supposed to be a Point Guard heavy draft. We have our pick (likely to be lottery), the Lakers pick (top 3 protected) and the rights to swap with the Kings. We will hopefully be able to land a top flight guard.

In 2018 we get the Kings pick outright and if the Lakers pick doesn't convey next year it becomes unprotected. We'll still have the chance to grab a big time player in the draft. Also, the guys BC is signing now will be rolling off.

We're not out of the woods yet but you can see this team has a clear cut direction and that's a refreshing change from the last regime.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.