Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RIP - Buddy Ryan
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Phits
Buddy was the near the end of his tenure as Eagles HC when I made my first trip to Vet stadium. I was travelling to Philly on a shopping trip from Toronto. We didn't get much Eagles coverage in Toronto, so I didn't know a whole heck of a lot about the franchise. I knew Randle Cunningham and was an instant fan because of his athleticism and new look approach to the QB position. It didn't hurt that he was a black QB. I first fell in love with the city because of the tax free shopping and the Cheesesteaks. Being of West Indian heritage the blue collar work ethic of "the City of Brotherly Love" hit a familiar tone with me and my family and it felt like a home away from home. The hotel we stayed at was near Veterans stadium, and by that Sunday morning my teenage funds were just about depleted. A small chorus of us made the trek to the stadium mid morning to see what all the hoopla was about. The open arms, the excitement in the air and the tailgating made me in an instant fan.

That year Buddy took the team to an 11-5 record and gave us "The Bounty Bowl". It was a hell of an inauguration for a new fan.

Ryan was responsible for a number of famous moments in Eagles history, such as the "Bounty Bowl" games where he allegedly rewarded his players for injuring their opponents. He also had quarterback Randall Cunningham once fake a spike late in a game in order to run up the score on the Dallas Cowboys.

RIP Buddy
Eyrie
Buddy Ryan was our coach when I decided that I needed to pick an NFL team as opposed to just watching the sport, and it was his defence that made my choice for me.

Thanks and RIP.
D Rock
I was a 70s kid and dick vermeil was my guy. but buddy's era was the most fun that I experienced...

RIP Coach!
Zero
Vermeil was a breath of fresh air and hope following McCormack, but Buddy was John Wayne on the heels of a disappointing Swampy. He wasn't afraid to act like he felt and say what he meant including to "the guy upstairs." What a treat it was to watch that defense even if they did seem to come up small in the postseason. A shame they didn't have an offense to match. He stuck it to Landry and Brahman and his players and the fans loved him.

RIP, Buddy. One of a kind.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (D Rock @ Jun 28 2016, 06:11 PM) *
I was a 70s kid and dick vermeil was my guy. but buddy's era was the most fun that I experienced...

RIP Coach!

I hear ya.

He brought and built one hell of a defense here --- the 46. The best D the Eagles ever had, with all due respect to Jim Johnson.

I used to love going to watch his radio show at the old Ribbits restaurant in center city Philadelphia during the season. Man, it was a circus biggrin.gif and Buddy really enjoyed being the Ringmaster.

For a guy who never won a playoff game here, he is beloved.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (Zero @ Jun 28 2016, 06:58 PM) *
Vermeil was a breath of fresh air and hope following McCormack, but Buddy was John Wayne on the heels of a disappointing Swampy. He wasn't afraid to act like he felt and say what he meant including to "the guy upstairs." What a treat it was to watch that defense even if they did seem to come up small in the postseason. A shame they didn't have an offense to match. He stuck it to Landry and Brahman and his players and the fans loved him.

RIP, Buddy. One of a kind.

I love it when he and Randall stuck it to Landry for running up the score against the Birds during the strike season.

Brahman, or as Buddy called him, "the guy in France". LOL. No, he wasn't about to kiss anyone's ass, not even the guy in France who signed his checks.
SAM I Am
This pretty much sums up Buddy Ryan.

Words of Wisdom from Buddy's playbook

bwc2112
I feel in love with the Eagles back in 1969.we had a vibrating game set we all picked teams. Everybody wanted Dallas, the owner of the table got them. By the time my turn came up to pick even the Browns were gone and the ST, Louis Cardinals had a better record. The Eagles had Cool uniforms and I had faith. My brother in law is big Dallas fan. We would go to a bar to watch the game . (loser pays) I still remember the day Buddy and our Eagles wooped there asses. (he didn't bring enough cash to get the tab )As a great Philly fan I covered his looses until the first ATM i found.

Rest In Peace Buddy
We will miss you
Dreagon
I hated him like Satan himself back when he was coaching, but I'll be the first to admit he was a great coach. If ever a defensive coordinator deserved to be in the Hall of Fame, it was him.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Jun 28 2016, 08:56 PM) *
I hated him like Satan himself back when he was coaching, but I'll be the first to admit he was a great coach. If ever a defensive coordinator deserved to be in the Hall of Fame, it was him.

And I loved that DAL fans like yourself hated him!!

Favorite memories of Buddy:

The payback kneel down TD vs. DAL after they played their starters in the scab games.

His disdain for the scab players.

His feuds with Jimmy Johnson.

The excitement that came with him and his D.

His keen eye for drafting defensive talent

Things I did not like about him:

His insecurity that resulted in him never picking a good OC to put the team over the top.

His divisiveness ways that resulted in little respect for his offenses.

His inability to coach well in playoff games.

Zero
The Franchise
QUOTE (Zero @ Jun 29 2016, 06:05 AM) *

laugh.gif

RIP Buddy
Zero
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ Jun 30 2016, 07:02 AM) *

Mike Reichenbach?......I used to drive his mom to church...seriously....God I am getting old...lol
Zero
I can't remember Buddy's nickname for him. Anyone?
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ Jun 30 2016, 08:51 PM) *
I can't remember Buddy's nickname for him. Anyone?

Rockenbach....lol..could not remember his name
nephillymike
Rockemback

or most times

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.