Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Hinkster
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
2011-12 season team was 35-31, lost in conference finals
2012-13 season, team was 34-48, no playoffs

5/14/13 Hired by the Team
6/27/13 Drafted Michael Carter Williams
7/12/13 Trades True Holiday to NO for Nerlins Noel (who was the 6th pick that year) and top 5 protected 2014 1st rounder
2013-14 season, team finishes 19-63, MCW rookie of the year

6/20/14 Drafted Embiid with the 3rd pick
6/20/14 Drafted E. Payton with the 10th pick from the Holiday trade with NO
6/20/14 Traded E. Payton for D. Saric and a 2017 1st round pick

2/19/15 Trades MCW for LAL 1st round pick, top 5 protected in '15, top 3 protected in '16 & '17 unprotected in '18
2014-14 season, team finishes 18-64

6/20/15 drafted J Okafor with the 3rd pick
7/19/15 trades two nobodies and a 2nd rounder to SAC for 3 bench players = the right to swap 1st round pick in /16 and '17 and SAC 1st round pick in '19
2015-16 season, team finishes 10-72, one game short of all time worst record. It is the worst W-L% by any NBA team over a three year period

6/23/16 selects Ben Simmons with the 1st pick of the draft.

As the team is constituted now, neither Noel nor Okafor was deemed good enough to get the 3rd pick in this year's draft as they have lost value since drafted. (23rd and 6th picks) The team with three bigs have at least one part that doesn't fit.

They have future assets of:

All of our 1st round picks
LAL 1st round pick top 3 protected in '17, unprotected thereafter
SAC 1st round pick in '19
SAC right to swap spots with them in '17
A shitload of money to spend, however, with rising cap, teams are less needing to let good players leave for money reasons.

My question is, if neither Okafor and Noel are worth the 3rd pick of a two player draft, and Embiid is a big man who hasn't played in 2 1/2 years with foot problems, even if Simmons is good, how good is this team? We were in conference finals in 2011-12, how long till we get there again?

If you had to do over, would you adopt the Hinkie plan?

What makes it easy for me to tolerate, is that this is not the Eagles. I have no addiction to Sixers b-ball, so when they tanked, I just tuned out. To me, I have no time to watch a team that is trying not to win. If they change that philosophy this year, then I will tune in. For any who bought into Hinkie's plan, would you be able to do that for a team you love, like the Eagles??

And if this year we are bottom three in the league again, is a FOUR year tank worth it?

How long is an acceptable window until we get back to the conference finals?

nephillymike
http://www.82games.com/barzilai1.htm

This is a great article.

Go about halfway down for the relative value of picks by 1st round draft pick.

Go down near the bottom, and see the top and median picks by draft slot.

Shows how top heavy the NBA draft is. Also shows how the median top picks, ain't much to write home about.
D Rock
The last 33 championships have been won by only 10 different teams.

While painful, I understand the concept of the plan. What really hurt us was poor luck with the fucking pingpong balls. If we had gotten Wiggens, we'd be in a lot better shape today. But, getting to that conf champ series 2012 was a mirage. We were no closer to a championship then, than we are today.

In the NFL, getting to the post season is a big deal. In a win-or-go-home post season tournament, anything can happen on "any given sunday." Winning 3 consecutive best of seven series is another thing entirely.

Ultimately, we finally hit on getting a franchise player at the top of his career on a very affordable rookie contract. I'll take that shot at greatness over a decade of 40 win seasons and 6th - 8th seeds in the playoffs.

And since you weren't watching, our sixers have not been "not trying to win." The team, while terrible, was actually fun to watch at times. They NEVER "not tried." They were trying harder than most. I've always enjoyed watching overachievers and "try hard" guys. Coach Brown has developed a blue collar culture on those poorly equipt, under talented rosters over the past 2 seasons.
nephillymike
QUOTE (D Rock @ Jul 7 2016, 05:46 PM) *
The last 33 championships have been won by only 10 different teams.

While painful, I understand the concept of the plan. What really hurt us was poor luck with the fucking pingpong balls. If we had gotten Wiggens, we'd be in a lot better shape today. But, getting to that conf champ series 2012 was a mirage. We were no closer to a championship then, than we are today.

In the NFL, getting to the post season is a big deal. In a win-or-go-home post season tournament, anything can happen on "any given sunday." Winning 3 consecutive best of seven series is another thing entirely.

Ultimately, we finally hit on getting a franchise player at the top of his career on a very affordable rookie contract. I'll take that shot at greatness over a decade of 40 win seasons and 6th - 8th seeds in the playoffs.

And since you weren't watching, our sixers have not been "not trying to win." The team, while terrible, was actually fun to watch at times. They NEVER "not tried." They were trying harder than most. I've always enjoyed watching overachievers and "try hard" guys. Coach Brown has developed a blue collar culture on those poorly equipt, under talented rosters over the past 2 seasons.

We had the worst record this year, we got the 1st pick as expected

We had the 3rd worst record last year, we got the 3rd pick, as expected.

in '14-'15, we had the 2nd worst record and we got the 3rd pick, one worse than expected.

In '14-'15, Wiggins went 1st, then Parker, then Embiid. Thru two years, Wiggins has a (0.3) value over replacement player while Parker is (0.1) VORP. Embiid hasn't played at all. It still doesn't seem like a daunting task for him to outplay the two ahead of him and at the time, people were saying if healthy he would have gone #1. So if he can be better than an average NBA player (VORP of 0), we would be a head of the other two, with the benefit of him being hurt for two years to contribute to the tanking. So if it played true to form, we would have selected #2. Would you have selected Parker over Embiid?

So I think the ping pong balls broke fine.

You confuse playing hard with playing to lose.

Me and 11 of my friends can go play in the NBA and it is entirely possible to out hustle every team but have zero chance to win.

When you purposefully field of team of a few NBA players and fill the rest with D league types or deep subs, you are in effect, playing to lose, no matter how much they try.
Zero
Question: Okafor and Noel are apparently not worth top draft picks but will they have value in player-for-player trades that can allow the Sixers to fill holes?
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Jul 10 2016, 06:12 AM) *
Question: Okafor and Noel are apparently not worth top draft picks but will they have value in player-for-player trades that can allow the Sixers to fill holes?

I think it depends what is considered "top" draft picks.

I don't think either will return the same picks they were a few years ago, which is disappointing.

Yes they do have value in player for player deals.

One thing not accounted for in the plan, was the huge increase in the cap, which resulted in less of a buyers market for FA's at a time the Sixers needed them to jump forward as a team. Kind of like when Banner misread the NFL tea leaves twice in his years here. Had the cap in the NBA been similar to what it was, there would be a huge increase in FA's available, allowing us to get better quicker.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.