Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which Eagles Players Stock are You buying?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
I took a look at the money Uncle Jeff is paying this year, both on a player by player basis and on a total team basis.

I took the average contract value per year, and looked at where they ranked in the NFL by position.

I know that many of these are newer contracts, so the average per year may be high, but in all of these positions, other players have signed new deals also. Here's where each player ranks and my comment if we'll get the ROI to match their salary rank. Before anyone pick nits, I know it's not perfect, but it's a starting point and a conversation piece.

Sam Bradford $17.5M per year, 18th highest QB - I think that's good FMV, hopefully he tops that in performance.

R. Mathews - 3.7M per year 18th
D. Sproles - 3.5M per year 19th

I think that's about right. Combined they should be in the top 18 of backfield output.

Z. Ertz - 8.5 per year, 6th highest. That's 1st PB alternate level play. It's doable, but he has to play a lot better than he has so far to get there. Hopefully his blocking will allow him to stay on the field more than in the past under Chip.

L. Johnson - 11.3M, 6th - that's second team Pro Bowl level. That's a big jump up for him. Don't know if that's going to pay off.

J Peters - 10.3M, 9th - Pro Bowl alternate level play. I'd invest in that. I think he'll rebound this year.

B. Brooks - 8.0M, 2nd for OG's. That's 1st team all pro. I expect good starter play, but not up to that level. Given our poor OG's, we had to go outside and pay big.

J. Kelce - 6.3M, 9th best C. As poorly as he played last year, it is not out of the realm of possibility that he plays at a better than average starter level. I'd invest in that.

F. Cox - 17.1M, 2nd highest DT. All pro 2nd team level. I think he'll meet that level. Hopefully no injuries.

V. Curry - 9.5M, 11th highest DE. Way too rich for his production, or likely production this year. Like the guy, but I find that this is a case where Howie out bid himself.

B. Graham - 6.5M, 21st - very doubtful of this one.

C. Barwin - 6.0M 23rd - should pay off. The big picture is that we're paying 22M avg for the DE slots. That hurts, as it may be that none of the three justify the investment individually or in total. I'd put my money on Barwin.

CB's - McKelvin 3.1M, 48th = mid to lower level starter, it's possible.
Carroll = 2.4M, 61st, is lower level starter level. I think we'll get a return on these small investments. Hopefully one or more of the young guys step up and make it a better gorup.

M. Jenkins - 8.75M, 6th. - his play validates his pro bowl alternate price tag.

R. McLeod - 7.0M, 10th. with 2 safeties per team, he's paid for top five at his spot. I think he'll be good, but the FA premium will make it tough to fully justify, but it should be close. Besides, it's been a sore spot for a long time.

K - Sturgis -680K 25th = peanuts.

P - D. Jones 1.8M 15th - good return for him.

Now here's the kicker (no pun intended)

Because of little return from low wage rookies, the Eagles have very few "bargains" expected to contribute this year. That has resulted in resigning many of our own non Pro Bowl caliber players at above average rates.

This has resulted in the following stunning cash payroll rankings per year for the Eagles going forward:

Year....Rank
2016...1st
2017...1st
2018...1st
2019...1st

sure we signed a lot of players and that money carries forward, but this is cash. You would think that the large cash signing bonuses this year would east the pain in years to come, but not so. 1st in cash expenditures the next four years!!

Thanks to uncle Jeff for the investment. Fan's have to appreciate that and I do.

I just wish that our team was good enough to justify that type of money. They could still prove that it is.

But are we the best team in the NFL, signifying it's worthiness in the most money invested?

I think even the pie eyed Optymistic fan would shy away from that investment.

Joegrane
Thanks, Mike, for the analysis. We are very fortunate to have Mr. Lurie here in Philly! This team might be a dumpster fire if not for his quick and decisive action.

The cash #s are not pretty over the next few years. They will really need to draft well in order to have a chance to be a serious playoff team.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 18 2016, 08:16 PM) *
I took a look at the money Uncle Jeff is paying this year, both on a player by player basis and on a total team basis.

This has resulted in the following stunning cash payroll rankings per year for the Eagles going forward:

Year....Rank
2016...1st
2017...1st
2018...1st
2019...1st

sure we signed a lot of players and that money carries forward, but this is cash. You would think that the large cash signing bonuses this year would east the pain in years to come, but not so. 1st in cash expenditures the next four years!!

Thanks to uncle Jeff for the investment. Fan's have to appreciate that and I do.

I just wish that our team was good enough to justify that type of money. They could still prove that it is.

But are we the best team in the NFL, signifying it's worthiness in the most money invested?

I think even the pie eyed Optymistic fan would shy away from that investment.

Eyrie
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Jun 19 2016, 03:00 AM) *
Thanks, Mike, for the analysis. We are very fortunate to have Mr. Lurie here in Philly! This team might be a dumpster fire if not for his quick and decisive action.

The cash #s are not pretty over the next few years. They will really need to draft well in order to have a chance to be a serious playoff team.

And the problem there is that we've mortgaged the future by having to trade so many top picks to move up for Wentz, so there won't be an influx of cheap young contributors through the draft unless we can somehow find a magic formula to draft much better than other teams.

If Wentz turns out to be a success, then in three years time we'll be happy but 2016 and 2017 will be tough. There will be too many games where we have to grit our teeth and think of the future.

If he isn't, both Pederson and Roseman will be gone and their replacements will have to start over again.
Zero
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jun 19 2016, 06:27 AM) *
... so there won't be an influx of cheap young contributors through the draft unless we can somehow find a magic formula to draft much better than other teams.

I'm not sure how well teams draft anyway. This year they gave up a third and moved a fourth to next year. Next year they gave up a first and the following year a second. What's to say that any of those picks would do more than take up a roster spot anyway? What you said, but rephrased to say that they need to draft well and manage well because of the cap restriction. The pressure is on, no doubt, but regards both money and talent they just need to be better than they have been .. but that's true no matter what.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Zero @ Jun 19 2016, 08:32 PM) *
I'm not sure how well teams draft anyway. This year they gave up a third and moved a fourth to next year. Next year they gave up a first and the following year a second. What's to say that any of those picks would do more than take up a roster spot anyway? What you said, but rephrased to say that they need to draft well and manage well because of the cap restriction. The pressure is on, no doubt, but regards both money and talent they just need to be better than they have been .. but that's true no matter what.

Every team tries to draft well, but it's an imprecise art at best. The trade up gives us even less room to get it wrong than normal.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.