Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What players will have a breakout season
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Before the Eagles hired Kelly I didn't want him here, I was a Gus guy. After the hire I found a seat on the bandwagon and got pretty comfortable when I saw the team smoke the Skins in their first game. Now that he's gone I'm anxious to join a lynch mob .. because he's gone, but more because it seems everything we read seems to say that he's a high school coach who found a way to make it work in college .. period.

With that as the curtain behind me, I'm wondering what players will flourish under normal NFL systems and coaching. Here's my guesses, some better than others:
  • Fletcher Cox - This is the obvious one. He seems to be down-to-earth and humble. As long as this is true and the money doesn't soften him he'll be a beast.
  • Vinny Curry - Drafted by Reid for a 4-3 and then forced to play/sit in a 3-4 under Davis kept the Eagle fan out of his element. Everything I read says he could be a monster in Scwartz's attack defense, especially with Fletch and Logan let loose in the middle. In fact, I think the entire DL deserves to be mentioned here.
  • Josh Huff - Bicknell was an inexperienced WR coach who had been an OL coach and he never did anything to improve the play of any WR on this team. Huff hasn't done much of anything to make us think he'll even be on the team other than as a KR but if GLew can get him to hold onto the ball his RAC ability can make him dynamic.
  • Rueben Randle - He was an immature kid coming out of LSU who thought he could continue to get by on talent. It's only a chance, but watching Mathews' approach (read: work ethic) and feeling the need to prove himself just may be the ticket.
  • Chris Givens - QB comfort zone, team need for speed and positive looks in OTA. He may not be a #1 or a leading receiver, but I think he'll do his share and help the other receivers by stretching the field.
There's three WRs on my list because I really think that the combination of shit coaching by Bicknell and poor QB play stunted Huff and the combination of Bradford, Randle and Givens all having something to prove will surprise a lot of people.
HobbEs
Dare I say it?

Sam Bradford - He's got 3 former QBs coaching him up. He'll be playing behind what looks to be a quality offensive line in a QB friendly system that relies heavily on the running game. He'll also be able to audible and might actually have some decent receivers to throw to. Throw in the short term contract and this year becomes an audition for some team who might actually want him.
Joegrane
I agree about various guys on D, especially on the D Line.

B Logan. He was an undersized NT in the 3-4 and NTs don't get their name called very often. He is in a contract year, no?

The defense in general. They will show how much Chip's system on O and the 4-3 alignment were making them look bad.

V Curry is not even the starter so I don't know if he will get enough reps to appear to "flourish" although I expect him to be very productive. How good is your D Line when someone that good can't start?

I assume Cox will sometimes be the DT next to the DE in Wide 9 formation. I assume that DT has responsibility for two gaps. This might reduce the number of big plays for Cox but may also help to keep him fresh.

I assume C Barwin will often be the Wide 9 DE. He will likely get his share of sacks and hurries. However I suppose his versatility will allow him to also sometimes drop into coverage. This D Line should be very hard for opposing offenses to deal with.

I bet some teams with big O Lines will choose to attack it up the middle due to its undersized MIKE LB. I also don't expect them to be very successful doing it but it might make Hicks dinged up and less effective.

Even though the outside CBs along with the outside WRs are the weakness of the team, the very good D Line should make the CBs look okay. I think they are adequate enough to make life difficult for QBs who are so often under duress.

Hobbes makes a good point about SamB. However I don't think he has enough talent at WR to look like an elite QB--Nick Foles' situation in 2013. I also doubt that he has enough talent himself to look like an elite QB when just surrounded by lots of average talent and when in a new system.

I don't know enough about the offense's philosophy to predict who will flourish; however, I expect the presence of the bruising B Brooks at OG to allow them to run R Matthews up the middle much more effectively this year. How Matthews' health will hold up with his love for finishing runs is another question?

Hicks could flourish with the two big DTs freeing him to fly to the ball.

It should be fun to watch a SS who is physical. It has been a while since we had someone like that.

QUOTE (Zero @ Jun 17 2016, 08:27 AM) *
With that as the curtain behind me, I'm wondering what players will flourish under normal NFL systems and coaching. ...

Reality Fan
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Jun 17 2016, 09:27 AM) *
Dare I say it?

Sam Bradford - He's got 3 former QBs coaching him up. He'll be playing behind what looks to be a quality offensive line in a QB friendly system that relies heavily on the running game. He'll also be able to audible and might actually have some decent receivers to throw to. Throw in the short term contract and this year becomes an audition for some team who might actually want him.

I completely agree here.....he will be playing behind the best offensive line he ever has had and while some think we have a weak set of WRs they are still better by far than anything he has ever had. He has no excuses this year and we will see what kind of a QB he is. A good QB can make decent talent better, as I have said, this is decent talent.

I worry about the running game, however.....it will be hard to go heavy with the run if Matthews gets hurt.....depth is weak unless this new guy is a find.

Dreagon
WR's tend to come into their own during their second season, so I'll go with Agholar being the player who steps up for you guys this year.
Eagle2720
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Jun 17 2016, 10:57 AM) *
V Curry is not even the starter so I don't know if he will get enough reps to appear to "flourish" although I expect him to be very productive. How good is your D Line when someone that good can't start?

I fully expect Curry to be the starter opposite of Graham, while Cox and Logan hold anchor in the middle, I wouldn't be surprise to see those two and Barwin subbing a lot, or even if Barwin gets the start most games, but I'm expecting Curry to be a force this year. I mean, you don't pay someone that much money for them to be a backup... Unless of course your Chase Daniels laugh.gif
Joegrane
I hope you are right about Agholar; however I fear he is still too thin and lacking in NFL strength.

Last year people compared him to J Maclin but I fear he could be slower in developing physically, and so more of a Todd Pinkston until that happens.

QUOTE (Dreagon @ Jun 17 2016, 04:31 PM) *
WR's tend to come into their own during their second season, so I'll go with Agholar being the player who steps up for you guys this year.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Jun 17 2016, 08:46 PM) *
I hope you are right about Agholar; however I fear he is still too thin and lacking in NFL strength.

Last year people compared him to J Maclin but I fear he could be slower in developing physically, and so more of a Todd Pinkston until that happens.

Not sure where that is coming from....Agholar is pretty solid body wise....nothing, and I mean nothing, like Pinkston.

Consider this....Pinkston was 6'2" 180 lbs.
Agholar is 6'0" 198.....

Agholar's problem is between his ears.....
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jun 18 2016, 09:41 AM) *
Not sure where that is coming from....Agholar is pretty solid body wise....nothing, and I mean nothing, like Pinkston.

Consider this....Pinkston was 6'2" 180 lbs.
Agholar is 6'0" 198.....

Agholar's problem is between his ears.....

Agree on all counts. It seems he's trying too hard as opposed to working hard .. if that makes sense.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Jun 18 2016, 12:14 PM) *
Agree on all counts. It seems he's trying too hard as opposed to working hard .. if that makes sense.

He's got to get cleared from the issue with the dancer or it could be all for naught.

that's no small matter.

JeeQ
By the end of this season Fletcher Cox is going to be a household name
Reality Fan
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Jun 18 2016, 03:40 PM) *
By the end of this season Fletcher Cox is going to be a household name

You do realize the number of jokes we could rattle off from that line...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.