Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Done Deal! Fletch signed to a six year deal
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
mcnabbulous
Eagles and Fletcher Cox agree to 6-year, $103M extension that includes $63M gtd, per sources. Highest guarantee for a non-QB in NFL history.

Per lots of people. Great news. Now RF can shut up about all the things we couldn't do because of Sam's contract wink.gif
Eagle2720
Crazy money, but well deserved, hope he get unleashed this year and eventually retires an Eagle.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jun 13 2016, 06:28 PM) *
Eagles and Fletcher Cox agree to 6-year, $103M extension that includes $63M gtd, per sources. Highest guarantee for a non-QB in NFL history.

Per lots of people. Great news. Now RF can shut up about all the things we couldn't do because of Sam's contract wink.gif

Really? Can I? Do I have your permission? Did his contract give us a quality backup at LB or WR or RB? No? I didn't think so...so maybe you can shut up.....unless I missed something and we got all those things when we signed him...

Or maybe you want to tell us all again how Daniels contract is the norm or any one of your other goofy points...
Phits
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jun 13 2016, 07:23 PM) *
Really? Can I? Do I have your permission? Did his contract give us a quality backup at LB or WR or RB? No? I didn't think so...so maybe you can shut up.....unless I missed something and we got all those things when we signed him...

Or maybe you want to tell us all again how Daniels contract is the norm or any one of your other goofy points...

Who were the "quality" LB, WR or RB that we "missed" out on, because we couldn't "afford" them?

If anything the FO has proven that should they have interest in a player they can/will find the $$ to sign them.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ Jun 13 2016, 07:50 PM) *
Who were the "quality" LB, WR or RB that we missed out on?

I think Marvin Jones would have looked good here or CJ Anderson....

Need more? Jerrell Freeman...
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Jun 13 2016, 06:50 PM) *
Who were the "quality" LB, WR or RB that we "missed" out on, because we couldn't "afford" them?

Haha no doubt. That query has been posed to him and ignored previously. But I see that I touched a nerve with him, despite the obvious joking tone of my comment.

If anything the FO has proven that should they have interest in a player they can/will find the $$ to sign them.

All they did was resign Ertz, Johnson, Jenkins, Curry, Celek, and now Cox (in addition to bringing back Bradford); while also signing McCleod, Brooks, Bradham, McKelvin and Daniel.

Clearly they are limited with their resources.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jun 13 2016, 07:02 PM) *

Is there any evidence that we expressed interest and were prohibited from signing those guys? Or because you liked them and we didn't get them, we failed?

Enough of that nonsense. We just locked up our best player for his prime. Great day indeed.
Joegrane
Hopefully he does not plan to celebrate with NA at Cheerleaders!

Will be interesting to see how it is designed.

QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jun 13 2016, 06:28 PM) *

Zero
This is obviously great news only to be exceeded by his performance matching or eclipsing his contract. wink.gif
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (Zero @ Jun 13 2016, 08:38 PM) *
This is obviously great news only to be exceeded by his performance matching or eclipsing his contract. wink.gif

I hope so, I still remember Corey Simon, played like a beast until he signed a fat contract, then he regressed. Hope Cox is the opposite, he got his money now he has to prove to me he is worth it. In this D he should be a force in the middle, but that is up to him.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jun 13 2016, 08:08 PM) *
Haha no doubt. That query has been posed to him and ignored previously. But I see that I touched a nerve with him, despite the obvious joking tone of my comment.

All they did was resign Ertz, Johnson, Jenkins, Curry, Celek, and now Cox (in addition to bringing back Bradford); while also signing McCleod, Brooks, Bradham, McKelvin and Daniel.

Clearly they are limited with their resources.

ummm..yeah....signing our own players is an accomplishment? That is a necessity.....those were givens...only you would think that is a stellar goal....of course only you would think that Bradham and McKelvin were stellar signings...no one else wanted them....and of course who could forget th Daniel signing...you know the record contract for a backup that you insisted was the norm....then said the lesser contracts for backups were old contracts even though virtually all of them are new or a year old..that contract...

No one said they came into the season with limited resources, quite the opposite......it is what they did with those resources. McLeod was a great signing...even Brooks, while overpriced, is a good signing....

But just so we are clear,,,because we all knew that they would be signing Cox...I said Bradford's money would be better spent on Cox....you apparently disagree..You feel that there are no postions that could have been upgraded on this team?

Is that your stance? Or was your zeal to be a dick that much bigger than your common sense?...never mind...easy answer..
Phits
How did their spending prevent them from signing their own players or players they were targeting? I said from the start that they would find the CAP $$ if they needed to...and they did. What does it matter how much they paid for players if the feeling is that they will contribute to their 2017 season goals? The players you identified

may not have been on their radar for this off-season, even if you feel that they would be a fit.

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jun 13 2016, 08:57 PM) *
ummm..yeah....signing our own players is an accomplishment? That is a necessity.....those were givens...only you would think that is a stellar goal....of course only you would think that Bradham and McKelvin were stellar signings...no one else wanted them....and of course who could forget th Daniel signing...you know the record contract for a backup that you insisted was the norm....then said the lesser contracts for backups were old contracts even though virtually all of them are new or a year old..that contract...

No one said they came into the season with limited resources, quite the opposite......it is what they did with those resources. McLeod was a great signing...even Brooks, while overpriced, is a good signing....

But just so we are clear,,,because we all knew that they would be signing Cox...I said Bradford's money would be better spent on Cox....you apparently disagree..You feel that there are no postions that could have been upgraded on this team?

Is that your stance? Or was your zeal to be a dick that much bigger than your common sense?...never mind...easy answer..

nephillymike
Comparable Contracts:

Name..........Yrs..........Value...........Guar...........Age Yrs
Suh.............6............114M............60M..........28 to 33
Cox..............6...........103M.............63M..........25 to 30
Dareus.........6...........96.5M............60M..........25 to 30
McCoy..........6............95.2M...........51.5M........27 to 32

We contracted Fletch for years 5 through 10 of his career.

As the chart shows, 5 thru 8 should be a good deal, but trouble in the last two.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1683775...-to-nfl-players.

At least we're getting more of his productive years based on history.

Suh needs to be an outlier for his to pay off, given his age.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jun 13 2016, 07:57 PM) *

Sometimes when I read your ramblings I worry about a brain injury. We had a great offseason on paper. The two Bills we signed were hand picked by our new DC, after they performed well under him.

Sure, we weren't able to crush it by signing the likes of Marvin Jones and CJ Anderson, but we did pretty well despite our crippling signings of Bradford and Daniel.

I'm happy with the extensions that were granted and the work done in FA. Signing Cox long term is the cherry.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jun 14 2016, 01:33 AM) *
Sometimes when I read your ramblings I worry about a brain injury. We had a great offseason on paper. The two Bills we signed were hand picked by our new DC, after they performed well under him.

Sure, we weren't able to crush it by signing the likes of Marvin Jones and CJ Anderson, but we did pretty well despite our crippling signings of Bradford and Daniel.

I'm happy with the extensions that were granted and the work done in FA. Signing Cox long term is the cherry.

My ramblings? Like your idiocy on the Daniel contract?

While I like the signings of his 2 former players from the Bills I am not under any delusions about their impact. I am hopeful that they perform well again with him but I also realize that it was the only year either was good.

I realize you are excited about a CB who has 13 picks in 8 years and a LB with one good year on his resume in 4.....that is how you think. I look at it and hope that it not an anomaly and you look at it as if it means he is an all pro.

Here is a good take....http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/14/eagles-have-proven-theyre-serious-about-spending-money/
samaroo
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jun 14 2016, 10:18 PM) *
My ramblings? Like your idiocy on the Daniel contract?

While I like the signings of his 2 former players from the Bills I am not under any delusions about their impact. I am hopeful that they perform well again with him but I also realize that it was the only year either was good.

I realize you are excited about a CB who has 13 picks in 8 years and a LB with one good year on his resume in 4.....that is how you think. I look at it and hope that it not an anomaly and you look at it as if it means he is an all pro.

Here is a good take....http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/14/eagles-have-proven-theyre-serious-about-spending-money/

This is funny coming from someone who thinks our QB is awesome with a good 7 game stretch under his belt. cheers.gif
Reality Fan
QUOTE (samaroo @ Jun 14 2016, 08:20 PM) *
This is funny coming from someone who thinks our QB is awesome with a good 7 game stretch under his belt. cheers.gif

If you feel the need to yap at least add something to the conversation......do you think the 2 former Bills are destined for greatness?

Now...beyond that...at least Bradford was a Rookie of the Year and his 3rd year, prior to ripping up his knee had 14 TDs and 4 picks through 7 games...so yeah, doing that with a roster that could not start for Penn State is pretty damn impressive....

Drink up....
Phits
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jun 14 2016, 09:21 PM) *
Now...beyond that...at least Bradford was a Rookie of the Year and his 3rd year, prior to ripping up his knee had 14 TDs and 4 picks through 7 games...so yeah, doing that with a roster that could not start for Penn State is pretty damn impressive....

So when he looks good, it's all on Sammy....but when he looks average to below average it's everybody else's fault huh.gif
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ Jun 14 2016, 10:50 PM) *
So when he looks good, it's all on Sammy....but when he looks average to below average it's everybody else's fault huh.gif

as usual...you are all bullshit....but please...show me who played with Sammy that flourished elsewhere or after he left instead of your typical blather....

Show me who he held back.....

with you it is always the same...and when the names and numbers are presented to you they are ignored for your usual bullshit...because the facts make you look silly...
Phits
The point of my earlier post was to point out your hypocrisy. Which you side stepped with the grace of a gazelle.

The truth is that Bradford has been an underachieving QB his entire career. He has failed to make himself or his teammates look better. Good QB's aren't supposed to do that. They are paid the big bucks to make the players around him better. The performance drop off from Bradford to his back-ups had not been as dramatic as one would expect, for a blue chip prospect. That's a more telling fact than the ones you provide.

As for your question regarding the talent Sammy played with; there are many variables that will dictate how well a player performs in another system or with another QB. There are countless players that excelled in one system and failed in another. Usually, the tenure of an offensive player is decided within the first 2 seasons. That's the make or break period. The same excuses you use for Sammy, can be applied to the other skill players on offense (new offense, new coaches/coordinators, carousel of QB's etc..). The bottom line is that between his injuries and other variables, there was never any cohesion. Simply put, the Rams banked on a QB to do more than he was capable of and they lost.

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jun 14 2016, 11:22 PM) *
as usual...you are all bullshit....but please...show me who played with Sammy that flourished elsewhere or after he left instead of your typical blather....

Show me who he held back.....

with you it is always the same...and when the names and numbers are presented to you they are ignored for your usual bullshit...because the facts make you look silly...

Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ Jun 15 2016, 10:16 AM) *
The point of my earlier post was to point out your hypocrisy. Which you side stepped with the grace of a gazelle.

The truth is that Bradford has been an underachieving QB his entire career. He has failed to make himself or his teammates look better. Good QB's aren't supposed to do that. They are paid the big bucks to make the players around him better. The performance drop off from Bradford to his back-ups had not been as dramatic as one would expect, for a blue chip prospect. That's a more telling fact than the ones you provide.

As for your question regarding the talent Sammy played with; there are many variables that will dictate how well a player performs in another system or with another QB. There are countless players that excelled in one system and failed in another. Usually, the tenure of an offensive player is decided within the first 2 seasons. That's the make or break period. The same excuses you use for Sammy, can be applied to the other skill players on offense (new offense, new coaches/coordinators, carousel of QB's etc..). The bottom line is that between his injuries and other variables, there was never any cohesion. Simply put, the Rams banked on a QB to do more than he was capable of and they lost.

I side-stepped it?

Let make this as simple as I can...name one player who went on to play better with another QB, who so much as made themselves look like a credible player with another QB to any degree than he did with Bradford....I will give you an example....how wildly successful did Amendola do with Brady? Did Brady make him a stud WR? What happened....couldn't Tom make Amendola "better"?

It is so easy to use the idiotic cliche that players should make those around them better....there is a degree to which that can happen....you can make decent players serviceable, you can't make bad players good....no one can. No one can make poor WRs AND a bad line work....any one with a clue about football knows that.

Bradford did not underachieve...he survived....

You are too obtuse to realize how you make my own point....Bradford was in 3 different offenses in 3 years,,,3 different OCs.....how are those for variables......there is no QB who could have made the Rams talent serviceable. In Bradford's first year he was Rookie of the Year so someone thought he did well.

Before you open your mouth I suggest you go to NFL.com and watch the Rams game as I did.....then run your mouth about how poorly he did.
Phits
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jun 15 2016, 01:14 PM) *
I side-stepped it?

Yep, you are still doing it.

Let make this as simple as I can...name one player who went on to play better with another QB, who so much as made themselves look like a credible player with another QB to any degree than he did with Bradford....I will give you an example....how wildly successful did Amendola do with Brady? Did Brady make him a stud WR? What happened....couldn't Tom make Amendola "better"?

Considering Brady has QB'd many prolific seasons, which often results in his offense being in the top 5, you should find another example.

It is so easy to use the idiotic cliche that players should make those around them better....there is a degree to which that can happen....you can make decent players serviceable, you can't make bad players good....no one can. No one can make poor WRs AND a bad line work....any one with a clue about football knows that.

What about his "All-Pro" 7 game run last season? How "great" were the receivers and o-line then? or was that just Bradford's wizardry and masterful QB play?

When Bradford plays and posts quality stats, who is responsible for that? When he plays poorly, who's responsible for that? On one hand, you credit Sammy for good game play and on the other you blame the team when he struggles.

You are too obtuse to realize how you make my own point....Bradford was in 3 different offenses in 3 years,,,3 different OCs.....how are those for variables......there is no QB who could have made the Rams talent serviceable. In Bradford's first year he was Rookie of the Year so someone thought he did well.

In his first season, he had Shurmur as his OC, and he played all 16 games
In his second season, he had Josh McDaniels, and he played 10 games
In his third season, he had Brian Schottenheimer and he played all 16 games
In his fourth season, he had Brian Schottenheimer and he played the first 7 games
In his fifth season, he had Brian Schottenheimer and folded like a cheap suit in the pre-season

Seems staying healthy is his issue. It's kind of hard to build a cohesive unit when you spend so much time injured.

Before you open your mouth I suggest you go to NFL.com and watch the Rams game as I did.....then run your mouth about how poorly he did.

What difference would it make? It's clear that you feel that your opinion is the only one that matters.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ Jun 15 2016, 04:27 PM) *
Yep, you are still doing it.

Considering Brady has QB'd many prolific seasons, which often results in his offense being in the top 5, you should find another example.

What about his "All-Pro" 7 game run last season? How "great" were the receivers and o-line then? or was that just Bradford's wizardry and masterful QB play?

When Bradford plays and posts quality stats, who is responsible for that? When he plays poorly, who's responsible for that? On one hand, you credit Sammy for good game play and on the other you blame the team when he struggles.

In his fourth season, he had Brian Schottenheimer and he played the first 7 games
In his fifth season, he had Brian Schottenheimer and folded like a cheap suit in the pre-season

Seems staying healthy is his issue. It's kind of hard to build a cohesive unit when you spend so much time injured.

What difference would it make? It's clear that you feel that your opinion is the only one that matters.

Ok...what am I sidestepping? I love guys like you....you provide nothing...I provided the rankings of his offensive line by year. I provided the WRs and their statistical lack of success either with Bradford or any other QB in the NFL. I provided the lack of any offensive philosophy or head coaching, all facts, not my opinion. Opinion is what you provide with nothing to back it up and yet you feel the need to blather on so what did I sidestep? I even provided that AMendola, Bradford's number 1 WR did no better, slightly worse actually, with Brady. Those are facts....you just yammer on that he underacheived....I say watch his Rams game but you "don't need to" because you "know"....you are too damn funny...one of us supported his point with facts and the other is you yet you still feel that it is my "opinion"....sorry but those are facts.

Hie great run last year?...here is were you really miss the mark.....as bad as we thought the line was last year and the WRs were lacking they were still heads and shoulders better than the Rams under Bradford....I don't get where you miss the Rams' line ranking in the bottom 4 each of Bradford's first 3 years... The WRs and TEs were better than he had in St. Louis...by far...look at the guy she had with the Rams....it is apparent you never have...horrible...

I do not disagree that his health is an issue. On that we agree...but his first 3 years he had one season where he missed a few games, I think 6 if I recall. Tearing the ACL is not unique.....the fact that is was the same one twice likely indicates that the first repair did not go well.

I blame Bradford when he plays poorly.....but you never even watched the rams' games and yet you somehow know he played poorly? Talk about being a hypocrite...

Brady was merely an example of the best WR Bradford had being AMendola who did no better with Brady...you are the one who mentioned making players better....it is one of the few shareable examples...and why? Because most of the WRs the Rams had are out of the fucking league already!!

Now the part of your response that really gets me was this

[b]In his first season, he had Shurmur as his OC, and he played all 16 games
and he was rookie of the year
and his worse year in a new offense
his 3rd offense in 3 years...as I said
and was off to his best start with 14 TDs and 4 picks through 7 games....imagine that...and the line was ranked in the teens...imagine that?
In his fifth season, he had Brian Schottenheimer and folded like a cheap suit in the pre-season[/b]
Like a cheap suit? You really are an prince...he suffered a 2nd tear to the same knee....

Now...tell em who the studs are who went elsewhere so another QB could make them better? Or stick to your same BS...
nd9kel

You would have told Carson Palmer to hang it up in 2011.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jun 15 2016, 06:34 PM) *
Ok...what am I sidestepping? I love guys like you....you provide nothing...I provided the rankings of his offensive line by year. I provided the WRs and their statistical lack of success either with Bradford or any other QB in the NFL. I provided the lack of any offensive philosophy or head coaching, all facts, not my opinion. Opinion is what you provide with nothing to back it up and yet you feel the need to blather on so what did I sidestep? I even provided that AMendola, Bradford's number 1 WR did no better, slightly worse actually, with Brady. Those are facts....you just yammer on that he underacheived....I say watch his Rams game but you "don't need to" because you "know"....you are too damn funny...one of us supported his point with facts and the other is you yet you still feel that it is my "opinion"....sorry but those are facts.

Hie great run last year?...here is were you really miss the mark.....as bad as we thought the line was last year and the WRs were lacking they were still heads and shoulders better than the Rams under Bradford....I don't get where you miss the Rams' line ranking in the bottom 4 each of Bradford's first 3 years... The WRs and TEs were better than he had in St. Louis...by far...look at the guy she had with the Rams....it is apparent you never have...horrible...

I do not disagree that his health is an issue. On that we agree...but his first 3 years he had one season where he missed a few games, I think 6 if I recall. Tearing the ACL is not unique.....the fact that is was the same one twice likely indicates that the first repair did not go well.

I blame Bradford when he plays poorly.....but you never even watched the rams' games and yet you somehow know he played poorly? Talk about being a hypocrite...

Brady was merely an example of the best WR Bradford had being AMendola who did no better with Brady...you are the one who mentioned making players better....it is one of the few shareable examples...and why? Because most of the WRs the Rams had are out of the fucking league already!!

Now the part of your response that really gets me was this

[b]In his first season, he had Shurmur as his OC, and he played all 16 games
and he was rookie of the year
and his worse year in a new offense
his 3rd offense in 3 years...as I said
and was off to his best start with 14 TDs and 4 picks through 7 games....imagine that...and the line was ranked in the teens...imagine that?
In his fifth season, he had Brian Schottenheimer and folded like a cheap suit in the pre-season[/b]
Like a cheap suit? You really are an prince...he suffered a 2nd tear to the same knee....

Now...tell em who the studs are who went elsewhere so another QB could make them better? Or stick to your same BS...

I think this is a QB destined to become a top 8 NFL QB this year and this calls for the finalization of the RF-Mikey Wings and beers BET II. I'd like to do that whilst your Bradford stock is at bullish heights.

I sent the draft that was reviewed by my lawyers. Have your lawyers give the OK so that I know where my wings and beers are coming from!! Z can be the notary!!
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 15 2016, 08:14 PM) *
I think this is a QB destined to become a top 8 NFL QB this year and this calls for the finalization of the RF-Mikey Wings and beers BET II. I'd like to do that whilst your Bradford stock is at bullish heights.

I sent the draft that was reviewed by my lawyers. Have your lawyers give the OK so that I know where my wings and beers are coming from!! Z can be the notary!!

No way is Z the notary....he can't even figure out if money matters or not.....I would end up buying you wings on Chestnut St.

My lawyers are revising it
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jun 15 2016, 09:09 PM) *
No way is Z the notary....he can't even figure out if money matters or not.....I would end up buying you wings on Chestnut St.

My lawyers are revising it

Hahahaha! As soon as you learn how to read and retain I'll work on my financial skills. laugh.gif
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ Jun 16 2016, 06:55 AM) *
Hahahaha! As soon as you learn how to read and retain I'll work on my financial skills. laugh.gif

By the way...not only do I read and retain...I try to do as much research as I can to make sure I have a pretty good idea about any issue we discuss.
Phits
QUOTE (nd9kel @ Jun 15 2016, 07:40 PM) *
You would have told Carson Palmer to hang it up in 2011.

Yep. I would have also told Warner to hang 'em up after '04 and Favre after '07 and Jerry Rice after '03 and Aikman after '98 and Jim Kelly after '94 and Fred Taylor in '08. I would have been wrong on the first two....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.