Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you feel about this team?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
IMO, the biggest problems are health and depth and the biggest question is coaching. In fact, if you play a game and put Belichick as HC how do you see the season unfolding?

Talent on the offense wasn't the main reason for the team's dismal season, it was mostly defensive breakdowns, especially in the backfield. Both S and CB have been significantly upgraded as has the DC. By "significantly" I mean more than would account for improvement on opposing team's offenses.

We've heard ad nauseum how defenses knew what Kelly's offense was doing before they did it. Another "significant" change added to Kelly's stubborn insistence on using a RB to run plays he wasn't suited for and behind a substandard OL that had been ignored for two years.

We focus on the holes and weaknesses. Last year we watched a V8 racing on four cylinders and driven by a cocky, inexperienced driver. Pederson is a question but this team is "significantly" better than what they did last year.

BTW, by the same standards the Cowboys are "significantly" better than they did last year too.
Joegrane
I think they are a W or two better than last year's team, but still a rather average team.

Slower pace on O will help D

I like their depth in the secondary despite having maybe just one above average player there.

The 4-3 should help due to better fit with the talent.

Pass rush should be improved and that should make the secondary look adequate.

Concerned about depth at LB, esp considering the injury history of two starters.

Won't be surprised if they pick up a veteran LB after final cuts or maybe they see Barwin as a backup SAM LB.

Am interested to see what M Smith does in a contract year. I think he'll show he's an adequate contributor.

V Curry could be fun to watch in his natural position, especially since their depth should allow him to be adequately rested.

I think B Logan will have a big year in a more natural 4-3 DT position.

I suppose the new system on O will cause them to get off to a sluggish start.

Signing Brooks at RG should be very important for the run game.

SamB will have a rapport with almost all of his receivers, even though the system is new. I expect him to have a solid season. He is also fully healthy.

I think the combination of WRs will be adequate, especially if Agholor is even close to what could be expected from his draft slot.

I still think they need to sign a veteran RB after cuts to replace the Duck.

I expect Smallwood to show that he will be a very solid 3rd down back for many years.

I don't expect special teams to be as good as those during the Chip era.

We'll see how the HC handles time management, adjustments etc. I don't have high hopes here but maybe the experienced OC will make up for some of the weakness at HC.

QUOTE (Zero @ Jun 11 2016, 07:11 AM) *
IMO, the biggest problems are health and depth and the biggest question is coaching. In fact, if you play a game and put Belichick as HC how do you see the season unfolding?

Talent on the offense wasn't the main reason for the team's dismal season, it was mostly defensive breakdowns, especially in the backfield. Both S and CB have been significantly upgraded as has the DC. By "significantly" I mean more than would account for improvement on opposing team's offenses.

We've heard ad nauseum how defenses knew what Kelly's offense was doing before they did it. Another "significant" change added to Kelly's stubborn insistence on using a RB to run plays he wasn't suited for and behind a substandard OL that had been ignored for two years.

We focus on the holes and weaknesses. Last year we watched a V8 racing on four cylinders and driven by a cocky, inexperienced driver. Pederson is a question but this team is "significantly" better than what they did last year.

BTW, by the same standards the Cowboys are "significantly" better than they did last year too.

Rick
Honestly, I have NO idea how to feel about this team yet. I don't know if they go 4-12 or 10-6 or whatever. I have no idea how good/bad/indifferent the offense will be. I'm guessing the defense will be better, then again, it's hard NOT to be better than they've been (they've been so bad).

I think, if they can get any kind of real play our of their receivers--and a QB (whomever it will be) can hit them with the ball, they can contend in the NFC East. The NFC East will be weak as hell again so that helps.

I have no idea how Pedersen will be as a coach.

This is the first season in a while I don't have a preconception as to how they'll be.

Eyrie
Offense - the improvements on the OL mean that there will be more time for the QB to throw and better lanes for the RBs. The passing game will also be better because Bradford will be 100% healthy and will have the freedom to audible, although WR remains a question mark. The running game all depends on Mathews staying healthy.

Defence - it was ridiculous that after three seasons we still had 4-3 personnel in a 3-4 system, so changing to a 4-3 is an immediate improvement. The DL will be better with Cox and the DEs free to focus on the QB, which will help our secondary. There's a lack of quality at CB despite the numbers and McLeod for Thurmond will keep our safeties at the same level, so I expect similar performance from the secondary. My main concern is LB as there is little to no depth there.

STs - 2015 was a step back from previous years under Kelly, and I see no reason to expect improvement here.

Overall though there are grounds for realistic optimism and the main question is then how much better/worse our opponents will be.
nephillymike
For this year's team, I feel better than I did a few months ago.

Pedey was able to calm the storm with Sam.

As much as I know it will cripple us going forward, signing Cox to a long term deal will be good in the short term.

Every one is healthy.

The Kid is doing well.

Long term, I think the poor draft class will hurt as well as some limited cap space with Cox signing and some of the others.

But if they can get decent QB play and an average or better defense, they should be in the mix for the division.

I'm not about to lower expectations of what success is for this team. 10-6 season and a playoff win.

The fact that we are only favored in 5 games and that the over/under wins is 7 wins leaves too much room for "mora" victories by the "Optymistic" crowd. biggrin.gif

I agree though, it will be a long 6 weeks. With the Phils' slide out of contention, it looks like all we will have is the Sixers draft.

I guess I can finish some NFL draft profiles, but other than that, there will be something missing.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 12 2016, 11:14 AM) *
... the poor draft class ...

Mikey Numbers fixated on numbers shouldn't be a surprise.

Wentz you agree to. Lots of positives coming out about Smallwood in this offense and for Mills at CB.

How many successes in a draft equals overall success? How many successes or failures are determined in June?
Joegrane
Yes especially since their first pick likely won't see significant action this year and their second pick had to go back to finish college.

This draft class will take longer to evaluate because it mostly hinges on the "developmental" QB. I don't see Seumalo unseating anyone this year and probably not next year.

I've liked Smallwood as a very solid 3rd down back since day 1 and like the gambles they made in the later rounds.

I think this will be a solid draft class.

QUOTE (Zero @ Jun 12 2016, 11:50 AM) *
Mikey Numbers fixated on numbers shouldn't be a surprise.

Wentz you agree to. Lots of positives coming out about Smallwood in this offense and for Mills at CB.

How many successes in a draft equals overall success? How many successes or failures are determined in June?

Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 12 2016, 11:14 AM) *
The fact that we are only favored in 5 games and that the over/under wins is 7 wins leaves too much room for "mora" victories by the "Optymistic" crowd. biggrin.gif

You keep bringing this up and I am curious how you missed a few things fromt he article.

First, it is completely fucking ridiculous....no camp, no injuries...not a thing to justify the odds other than last year...
second...a good number of the odds have then at or below the typical 3 point swing to the home team...

it truly is a silly predictor of anything...

Once camp starts we will know a little better what to expect

I am surprised no one mentioned the young super stars problems throwing a spiral deep.....something even his most ardent supporters in the press were forced to admit.....hopefully that goes away.

nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jun 12 2016, 01:26 PM) *
You keep bringing this up and I am curious how you missed a few things fromt he article.

First, it is completely fucking ridiculous....no camp, no injuries...not a thing to justify the odds other than last year...
second...a good number of the odds have then at or below the typical 3 point swing to the home team...

it truly is a silly predictor of anything...

Once camp starts we will know a little better what to expect

I am surprised no one mentioned the young super stars problems throwing a spiral deep.....something even his most ardent supporters in the press were forced to admit.....hopefully that goes away.

Ture, only last year's ending power ratings determine the 5 game favorite.

True, only last year's results + offseason moves + drafts + what Vegas thinks of the regime change has anything to do with the 7 win Vegas line.

At this point, those are the only two starting points you can go with.

It's not like they're doing something silly like assuming a low tier QB is going to play to close to Pro Bowl level !!

It is what it is, predictions and betting lines on the latest information available.

It will likely change, but it's a starting point. The fact that Vegas is taking real money on the 7 puts weight behind it.

I have heard about his lack of spiral. Curious to know if that was an issue in college. A small concern, given that from the reports I've heard, his deep ball is good, it's the small windows on the short intermediate range that he is adjusting to.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 12 2016, 03:17 PM) *
Ture, only last year's ending power ratings determine the 5 game favorite.

True, only last year's results + offseason moves + drafts + what Vegas thinks of the regime change has anything to do with the 7 win Vegas line.

At this point, those are the only two starting points you can go with.

It's not like they're doing something silly like assuming a low tier QB is going to play to close to Pro Bowl level !!

It is what it is, predictions and betting lines on the latest information available.

It will likely change, but it's a starting point. The fact that Vegas is taking real money on the 7 puts weight behind it.

I have heard about his lack of spiral. Curious to know if that was an issue in college. A small concern, given that from the reports I've heard, his deep ball is good, it's the small windows on the short intermediate range that he is adjusting to.

again...most of the road games are within the 3 point swing given to the home team with a few less than 3 points. That is a pick'em

I think you read things a bit wrong...the word is that he has no fear of throwing deep....that does not mean he throws it well...he overthrew a lot and his deep ball wobbles. Even Zach Berman, another guy who is not a fan of Bradford, said her is clearly the best QB on the roster.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.