Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dear Sam,
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Chris Chase of FOX Sports pens an open letter to three quarterbacks who overplayed their hand this offseason, including Bradford.

"Since you came into the league, 20 quarterbacks have started 60 games. Of those 20, you rank last in every major category, except completion percentage. You’re 19th in that.

Still, the Eagles signed you to a contract worth $22 million guaranteed a few months ago. Now, there’s no such thing as a guranteed starting job in the NFL so the contract shouldn’t have been taken as such. But especially with the short, two-year-deal, this obviously was a “put up or shut up” contract. It should have come as no surprise when Carson Wentz came to town, drafted No. 2 overall. It should actually have served as inspiration. The Eagles weren’t your future but since this is an NFL where Brock Osweiler gets $72 million, you were playing for a new one. Instead you chose to whine – “but Brock Osweiler, but Brock Osweiler,” is what I’m guessing you said – and evidently look for a trade. Also, enough about Brock Osweiler. All of you!

On the bright side, you’re now manning up and organizing summer workouts with your teammates, which makes you at least somewhat self-aware. So that’s nice.

Sincerely,

A guy who can’t believe you have the same career earnings as Roger Federer"

Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2016/06/...aJPz8uKXppPc.99

Ouch
Joegrane
I imagine his words for Nick Foles were stronger, deservedly so.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 5 2016, 10:33 AM) *
Chris Chase of FOX Sports pens an open letter to three quarterbacks who overplayed their hand this offseason, including Bradford.

"Since you came into the league, 20 quarterbacks have started 60 games. Of those 20, you rank last in every major category, except completion percentage. You’re 19th in that.

Still, the Eagles signed you to a contract worth $22 million guaranteed a few months ago. Now, there’s no such thing as a guranteed starting job in the NFL so the contract shouldn’t have been taken as such. But especially with the short, two-year-deal, this obviously was a “put up or shut up” contract. It should have come as no surprise when Carson Wentz came to town, drafted No. 2 overall. It should actually have served as inspiration. The Eagles weren’t your future but since this is an NFL where Brock Osweiler gets $72 million, you were playing for a new one. Instead you chose to whine – “but Brock Osweiler, but Brock Osweiler,” is what I’m guessing you said – and evidently look for a trade. Also, enough about Brock Osweiler. All of you!

On the bright side, you’re now manning up and organizing summer workouts with your teammates, which makes you at least somewhat self-aware. So that’s nice....

Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 5 2016, 10:33 AM) *

On the bright side, you’re now manning up and organizing summer workouts with your teammates, which makes you at least somewhat self-aware. So that’s nice.

Sincerely,

A guy who can’t believe you have the same career earnings as Roger Federer"

Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2016/06/...aJPz8uKXppPc.99

Ouch

If I am Sam I send him a letter back saying:

Dear asswipe....

I apologize for being drafted by one of the worst run franchises in the last decade.....it must be my fault that their idea of running a franchise hinged on piss poor decisions at the O line and WR positions while trying and failing to build a killer defense...I never bitched about how poor their personnel decisions were and was the consummate teammate.

If you think the beating I took was worth the money I was paid you are dumber than your writing suggests..

Warmest regards you fucking idiot,

Sam

Or something along those lines......

lololol
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jun 5 2016, 08:41 PM) *
If I am Sam I send him a letter back saying:

Dear asswipe....

I apologize for being drafted by one of the worst run franchises in the last decade.....it must be my fault that their idea of running a franchise hinged on piss poor decisions at the O line and WR positions while trying and failing to build a killer defense...I never bitched about how poor their personnel decisions were and was the consummate teammate.

If you think the beating I took was worth the money I was paid you are dumber than your writing suggests..

Warmest regards you fucking idiot,

Sam

Or something along those lines......

lololol

I wonder how good those franchises were that the other 19 were drafted by. There were a lot worse destinations than the year he sent here.

BTW, check e-mail from last week.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 5 2016, 09:45 PM) *
I wonder how good those franchises were that the other 19 were drafted by. There were a lot worse destinations than the year he sent here.

Other 19? I can review my notes.....
nd9kel
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 5 2016, 08:45 PM) *

My sweet lord it was the freakin' Rams. You know why Sam was drafted 1st in 2010? They were the WORST franchise. And they didn't do anything to upgrade their line or certainly their receiving corps the whole time he was there. Defensive guru Jeff Fisher amped up the defense, which was pretty good eventually, but a dud of an offense.

This author is a piece of work...and crap.

Phits
QUOTE (nd9kel @ Jun 6 2016, 08:24 AM) *
My sweet lord it was the freakin' Rams. You know why Sam was drafted 1st in 2010? They were the WORST franchise. And they didn't do anything to upgrade their line or certainly their receiving corps the whole time he was there. Defensive guru Jeff Fisher amped up the defense, which was pretty good eventually, but a dud of an offense.

This author is a piece of work...and crap.

So, none of it falls on Sammy's shoulders? I guess Jamarcus Russell, Johnny Manziel, Vince Young, Brandon Weeden, Josh Freeman, Matt Leinart and JP Losman (to name a few) can all use that excuse too.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ Jun 6 2016, 10:34 AM) *
So, none of it falls on Sammy's shoulders? I guess Jamarcus Russell, Johnny Manziel, Vince Young, Brandon Weeden, Josh Freeman, Matt Leinart and JP Losman (to name a few) can all use that excuse too.

I do not think anyone has suggested that he bears no blame....but people like you place all of it on him and acknowledge nothing about the situation he went to.

Josh Freeman at least was given Williams and WInslow, guys who were successful at their positions.
Manziel was a gimmick QB in college and how his NFL career mimicks Bradford in any way is an insane suggestion.
Jamarcus Russell? Seriously? He was a lazy POS who hated to work out, got fat and quit. I agree he had bad group of WRs but to blame his exit out of the league on anything but him is ludicrous.....he failure is well documented.
Vince Young? Same coach and OC both years in Tenn. and an offensive line ranked 11th in 2007.
Weeden?Seems he had that guy named Gordon on the outside (though I feel bad for him going to Cleveland,,,,but he has had chances elsewhwere....this was Bradford's first year after his escape)
Leinert? Now this was really the dumbest one of the bunch....do the names Fitzgerald and Bolden mean anything to you? In their prime?
Losman? Lee Evans? Not to mention Losman was not a starter in year one and once he started he had the same coach and OC his first 2 years.
Phits
People like me acknowledged that Bradford had the potential and pedigree to succeed. However, after 5+ seasons he has yet to live up to the hype. Whether his situation was favorable or not, he hasn't done anything to have the benefit of the doubt.

The QBs I mentioned in the last post had the rug pulled from under them a lot quicker.

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jun 6 2016, 01:30 PM) *
I do not think anyone has suggested that he bears no blame....but people like you place all of it on him and acknowledge nothing about the situation he went to.

Josh Freeman at least was given Williams and WInslow, guys who were successful at their positions.
Manziel was a gimmick QB in college and how his NFL career mimicks Bradford in any way is an insane suggestion.
Jamarcus Russell? Seriously? He was a lazy POS who hated to work out, got fat and quit. I agree he had bad group of WRs but to blame his exit out of the league on anything but him is ludicrous.....he failure is well documented.
Vince Young? Same coach and OC both years in Tenn. and an offensive line ranked 11th in 2007.
Weeden?Seems he had that guy named Gordon on the outside (though I feel bad for him going to Cleveland,,,,but he has had chances elsewhwere....this was Bradford's first year after his escape)
Leinert? Now this was really the dumbest one of the bunch....do the names Fitzgerald and Bolden mean anything to you? In their prime?
Losman? Lee Evans? Not to mention Losman was not a starter in year one and once he started he had the same coach and OC his first 2 years.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ Jun 6 2016, 04:33 PM) *
People like me acknowledged that Bradford had the potential and pedigree to succeed. However, after 5+ seasons he has yet to live up to the hype. Whether his situation was favorable or not, he hasn't done anything to have the benefit of the doubt.

The QBs I mentioned in the last post had the rug pulled from under them a lot quicker.

What QB in that list had the rug pulled out?

Manziel pulled his own rug out, Freeman had plenty of chances and had Mike Williams AND Vincent Jackson, Leinert had 2 all pro WRs in their prime to throw to from the start. Russell ate his rug...he showed for camp over 300 lbs., Losman had good WRs, Weeden has had plenty of chances elsewhere....I grant you Vince Young, though he had the same system and coaching for both years but he had little talent around him.

Bradford had 3.5 years, he missed 18 months, last year he looked good, particularly after he got his legs under him. Saying his situation was not favorable is a gross understatement for reasons I have pointed out in detail. Something coaches see on tape as well which tells you why he was signed for so much. If he was so bad the Eagles would have signed a guy like Weeden et al.

At the end of this season we will have the answer to the Bradford riddle. He either excels this year or he will confirm he was a waste. He has no excuses. Good O line, decent WR corp and decent coaching staff outside of Pederson, a good defense and an offense he was rookie of the year in. No excuses this year, lets see how he does.
nephillymike
Well, upon further review, this is really a "no new news" type of stat.

It's misleading, because at first glance you think it is showing Bradford bottom tier play versus a broad base of QB's.

When in fact, it shows Bradford's bottom tier play versus the better QB's in the league.

In Bradford's defense, he has performed much better than many of the QB busts and backups that have been drafted since 2010 or who have played during that time frame. Problem is, those types don't normally get 60 games to start to turn it around, so they don't count in this stat. Sure you'd like to think that was the case with a guy who will earn $113M at the end of this deal for a 8 year period, but no need to be presumptuous.

Using Profootballreference here are the QB's with 60 or more starts since 2010 (the year Sam was drafted) and I assume that the writer is technically correct. There should be no surprises here:

Tannehill
Wilson
Newton
Dalton
Stafford
Ryan
Flacco
Cutler
A. Smith
Rodgers
Fitzpatrick
E. Manning
Rivers
Roethlisberger
Palmer
Shaub
Brees
Brady
P. Manning

So if he had the 20th best career stats after last season of this group, that's kind of what every one knew anyway.

A few guys like Luck, Bridgewater, Carr, Bortles, Mariota and Winston, if you throw them in, likely move him down six notches more, less the retirement of Peyton and Schaub, and you have someone around 25thish in the QB pecking order.

Nothing new here, move along.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 6 2016, 11:18 PM) *
Well, upon further review, this is really a "no new news" type of stat.

It's misleading, because at first glance you think it is showing Bradford bottom tier play versus a broad base of QB's.

When in fact, it shows Bradford's bottom tier play versus the better QB's in the league.

In Bradford's defense, he has performed much better than many of the QB busts and backups that have been drafted since 2010 or who have played during that time frame. Problem is, those types don't normally get 60 games to start to turn it around, so they don't count in this stat. Sure you'd like to think that was the case with a guy who will earn $113M at the end of this deal for a 8 year period, but no need to be presumptuous.

Using Profootballreference here are the QB's with 60 or more starts since 2010 (the year Sam was drafted) and I assume that the writer is technically correct. There should be no surprises here:

Tannehill
Wilson
Newton
Dalton
Stafford
Ryan
Flacco
Cutler
A. Smith
Rodgers
Fitzpatrick
E. Manning
Rivers
Roethlisberger
Palmer
Shaub
Brees
Brady
P. Manning

So if he had the 20th best career stats after last season of this group, that's kind of what every one knew anyway.

A few guys like Luck, Bridgewater, Carr, Bortles, Mariota and Winston, if you throw them in, likely move him down six notches more, less the retirement of Peyton and Schaub, and you have someone around 25thish in the QB pecking order.

Nothing new here, move along.

Since this insanity started I have done a ton of research into the whole QB performance and where they are drafted and to whom and what that situation is.

The only QB who was drafted into a similar situation as Bradford was Jamarcus Russell and he is out of the league do to his love of food. Mike Mayock warned everyone that the guy was an awesome athlete who had the best Pro Day he had seen to that point but the guy had little interest in football and was a huge risk. He was right with Russell showing up to his 3rd camp near 300 lbs. and way out of shape. That is why he was cut.

Mariota is close but Tenn has already started to add to their offense and he will have the same coaching staff.

Until you look at the Rams you can't appreciate just how bad it was.

Almost every guy on Mikey's list had WRs who were talented and stable coaching. I can go into detail on that if anyone needs clarification.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jun 7 2016, 07:36 AM) *
Since this insanity started I have done a ton of research into the whole QB performance and where they are drafted and to whom and what that situation is.

The only QB who was drafted into a similar situation as Bradford was Jamarcus Russell and he is out of the league do to his love of food. Mike Mayock warned everyone that the guy was an awesome athlete who had the best Pro Day he had seen to that point but the guy had little interest in football and was a huge risk. He was right with Russell showing up to his 3rd camp near 300 lbs. and way out of shape. That is why he was cut.

Mariota is close but Tenn has already started to add to their offense and he will have the same coaching staff.

Until you look at the Rams you can't appreciate just how bad it was.

Almost every guy on Mikey's list had WRs who were talented and stable coaching. I can go into detail on that if anyone needs clarification.

At this point, I think there is nothing that can change minds one way or the other until waiting to see how he performs this season. And really, I don't think it's likely that minds will change after that.
Joegrane
If he stays relatively healthy like he did last year, people could not argue about that aspect of Sam's history.

He'd have to have above average stats and the Eagles would have to make the playoffs or maybe just miss to convert many people.

I don't think he has enough weapons around him for either to happen and I don't expect the coaching staff to be extraordinary. I think they'll be a rather average team 7-9 wins and he'll be a rather average QB.

That should be enough for him to get a starting job next year but not the $ and years he wants.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 7 2016, 07:43 PM) *
At this point, I think there is nothing that can change minds one way or the other until waiting to see how he performs this season. And really, I don't think it's likely that minds will change after that.

Zero
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Jun 7 2016, 08:57 PM) *
I don't think he has enough weapons around him...

I realize I'm the board optimist, but I think you'll be surprised.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.