Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What aspect of being an Eagles fan do you wish was better?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
wolf_sobol
Hey all,

Simple question - what would you say are some of the most annoying issues with being an Eagles fan today that could be solved with a little bit of technology? I mean in the context of what YOU want to be able to do as a fan (no "I wish someone gave Chip a bullshit detector test before signing him")

I ask because I'm looking to spend the next few summer months working on some kind of technical project that would benefit Eagles fans. I just graduated undergrad having studied computer science (and am an Eagles fan myself), and I want some inspiration for a side project, hopefully something like a webapp or service. I'm asking specifically for PROBLEM definitions, not product requests, since I find that knowing the context underlying a problem makes it easier for me to come up with a reasonable solution.

Good way to pitch: "I hear about fan meetups that I'd want to go to too often after they've already happened"
Bad way to pitch: "Build a community event-managing system"

Feel free to repeat suggestions -- if I see there's interest by more than one person, I'll be more likely to take it on
nephillymike
Interesting topic but I think with the internet, most things are available now.

In the old days, i always wanted salary cap information available. Now we have at least two good sites for that.

Also wanted draft information, now there are tons of sites that do that.

Historical stats, we have profootball reference which is awesome.

Tickets, we got Stub Hub and the league site and craigslist.

Can't think of any.
Birdman420
Bathroom rating system to pool info on how gross the bathrooms are and if the emergency of #2 happens while at a game- where is the cleanest bathroom located?

I had to hold it in one time because when I went to the closest restroom there was already fecal matter all over the wall inside the stall and piss all over the seat and floor. The portapotties in the parking lot were the only solution.

Tail gating parking helper- Find exactly where your friends are located and what spots near them are available. Parking blows at the sports complex and finding out where friends are and getting to them is a nightmare for tailgating.

Who's on the field this series, with substitutions every down... even for someone like me who normally knows most of the players I find it hard to keep up. Maybe a live illustration on my phone would make it easier for me to leave it sitting in my lap and glance at who is on the field at any given down.

Food locator- What foods are available and how far from me are they? I've walked around the entire stadium to get what I wanted to eat, if i had just taken a right instead of a left I would have gotten there in a minute instead of 15.

These ideas are my mental diarhea for this morning, they could all be horrible ideas.
Zero
I'm sick of national pundits tagging on to the mostly manufactured negative image of Philadelphia fans while ignoring the same or worse incidents perpetrated by other teams. I'd love some techno-genius to develop an app that would allow Eagle fans to zap morons as they blabber their slander. Imagine Joe Buck rehashing the Santa/snowball story during a broadcast and having thousands of fans sending an electronic shock through his headset mid-sentence. jumpclap.gif
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Jun 5 2016, 09:44 AM) *
I'm sick of national pundits tagging on to the mostly manufactured negative image of Philadelphia fans while ignoring the same or worse incidents perpetrated by other teams. I'd love some techno-genius to develop an app that would allow Eagle fans to zap morons as they blabber their slander. Imagine Joe Buck rehashing the Santa/snowball story during a broadcast and having thousands of fans sending an electronic shock through his headset mid-sentence. jumpclap.gif

I like it!

Or a site that lists ALL transgressions of fans from all cities so it's not only us who gets ripped.

My favorite though is the taser gun at CBP a few years ago that was on the back page of the PDN

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/trendin...Mall-fight.html

Rick
Technology can't change the aspect of being an Eagles' fan I absolutely HATE...NO SUPERBOWL VICTORIES!!!!

wolf_sobol
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 5 2016, 10:17 AM) *
Interesting topic but I think with the internet, most things are available now.

In the old days, i always wanted salary cap information available. Now we have at least two good sites for that.

Also wanted draft information, now there are tons of sites that do that.

Historical stats, we have profootball reference which is awesome.

Tickets, we got Stub Hub and the league site and craigslist.

Can't think of any.

Yeah you're right, most of the basics have been covered. Especially on an NFL-wide level. But I still have the sense that there's a lot of unfulfilled need on a micro-scale - e.g. particularly for Eagles fans (not all NFL fans), or particularly for Eagles fans who tailgate a lot at the Linc, etc. Niche areas that haven't attracted a huge company to throw lots of money at building something for it because the market is too small.

QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Jun 5 2016, 10:29 AM) *
Bathroom rating system to pool info on how gross the bathrooms are and if the emergency of #2 happens while at a game- where is the cleanest bathroom located?

I had to hold it in one time because when I went to the closest restroom there was already fecal matter all over the wall inside the stall and piss all over the seat and floor. The portapotties in the parking lot were the only solution.

I like the thought, but isn't it likely that all bathrooms at a place like the Linc are more or less equally gross?

Tail gating parking helper- Find exactly where your friends are located and what spots near them are available. Parking blows at the sports complex and finding out where friends are and getting to them is a nightmare for tailgating.

Promising idea. If I were to map out all the parking spots available, then rely on tailgaters who are already there to crowdsource available spots by having them click, and sharing their location with friends, I could see that solving this problem.

Who's on the field this series, with substitutions every down... even for someone like me who normally knows most of the players I find it hard to keep up. Maybe a live illustration on my phone would make it easier for me to leave it sitting in my lap and glance at who is on the field at any given down.

Interesting, though I have the impression that fans generally don't care all that much about what particular players are on the field unless they make a play.

Thoughts on a slightly different angle? Play-by-play analysis of who was on the field, what formation, and what play they ran. So a play happens, you look at your phone and see that the Eagles ran a 4-3 corner blitz, and the opponent ran a HB draw through the 2 hole. Maybe a Madden play-like visual to show that. A little worried about how I'd go about getting that kind of data though.

Food locator- What foods are available and how far from me are they? I've walked around the entire stadium to get what I wanted to eat, if i had just taken a right instead of a left I would have gotten there in a minute instead of 15.

Similar thought to the tailgating thing -- seems like the Linc could generally use a whole app of its own.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 5 2016, 11:09 AM) *
I like it!

Or a site that lists ALL transgressions of fans from all cities so it's not only us who gets ripped.

My favorite though is the taser gun at CBP a few years ago that was on the back page of the PDN

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/trendin...Mall-fight.html

Haha that'd be handy. Wonder if a whole site would be overkill though -- could have a forum subsection that lets people post those kinds of articles, and someone aggregates valid ones into a sticky post.

Thanks for all the suggestions, haven't settled on anything yet so keep them coming if you have more
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.