Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flys like a bitterfly, sting like a bee
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
xsv
RIP champ.

You made me fall in love with Boxing. There aint never been a badder motherfucker.
nephillymike
He lived in the Phila area for a span of years.

Over the years, people have called in to sports talk telling stories of how nice he was to the normal folk.

RIP
mcnabbulous
I didn't have the luxury of watching his career, and my first thoughts of him are generally his struggles with Parkinson's. With that said, I can't help but watch highlights of the man in his prime and envy those who got to experience it as it was happening.

He is the most charismatic person I've ever seen speak.
xsv
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jun 4 2016, 09:31 AM) *
I didn't have the luxury of watching his career, and my first thoughts of him are generally his struggles with Parkinson's. With that said, I can't help but watch highlights of the man in his prime and envy those who got to experience it as it was happening.

He is the most charismatic person I've ever seen speak.

I wasnt old enought to remember him in his prime. But I caught a few flashes. And his highlights are more spectacular than Mike Tysons. Not in terms of ferociousness, but showmanship in general. Nicest guy on the planet untill you pissed him off. Then was all in to show you up.
Zero
QUOTE (xsv @ Jun 4 2016, 12:49 PM) *
I wasnt old enought to remember him in his prime. But I caught a few flashes. And his highlights are more spectacular than Mike Tysons. Not in terms of ferociousness, but showmanship in general. Nicest guy on the planet untill you pissed him off. Then was all in to show you up.

I'm not a boxing aficionado, but I remember Ali (Cassius Clay) as being a poet and a dancer with a terrible sting. He had moves and power. Tyson was just a brute, no personality just rage.
nd9kel
I'm pretty sure I saw all of Ali's fights. That was the day of free TV boxing. It always amazed me to see that nobody had his style....floating around the ring round after round. When he stood still it got serious though, those bombs came raining down on the opponent.

His dialogues with Howard Cosell were hilarious.
Phits
He was so much more than a boxer or even a champion. Ali was a cultural icon, and a hero to many. He transcended so many barriers with his charisma and candidness.

I met him twice. Once in the mid 80's when he still had the ability to charm a crowd of pre-pubescent teenagers with his wit and words. The disease had begun to physically take over but it hadn't really tainted his mind. The last time was a few years after the Atlanta Olympics. By then the disease had really taken its toll. While he wasn't able to communicate verbally, the way he once could, the light in his eyes showed us all that his mind was still sharp.

I'm sad at his passing.

2016 has been a real motherfucking bitch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.