Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: War declared on Axis!!
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
For all the stat hand wringing and salary soap boxing we have to endure, I only see two problems with this team ... three if we look at unknown coaching. Quality depth in a couple of critical positions is number one and star power on offense is number two. On any given Sunday this team can compete.

Working on the assumption that Fletch will be here and be a beast, the DL should be a strength. Not only Cox, but Curry and Graham are meant for this D and Logan is being underrated playing in the shadow of Cox. Bradham, Hicks and Kendricks should be no less than solid - Kendricks and Hicks both have pro bowl potential. Everyone is worried about CB but McKelvin has started and played really well for Schwartz, Carroll was having a good year before injury last year and Rowe started to really come on when he started. The plus for those guys is the pressure the D is designed to put on the QB. In fact, I think the depth at CB is decent, better than LB at least. Putting McLeod on the other side of Jenkins solidifies safety but they have to stay healthy.

Questions with Peters' durability now but if he's hurt the problem is at RT. Brooks will solidify the right side whether Johnson is there or other and he'll help Kelce return. RG is a question but there's competition - what team doesn't have questions someplace? No stars at WR is an issue; Agholor needs to step up, Randle and Huff need to produce and Matthews needs to catch. Ertz could be a star, Celek steady and Burton could be a wild card in this offense. Mathews will produce for 10 games, Sproles is still Sproles ... Smallwood is a question but has skills. Bradford will either play well or get injured, Daniel will be an all pro clipboard coach and the Kid will grow up faster than expected.

So, where's the problem you card-carrying, Axis assholes? laugh.gif
nephillymike
May 30, 2016

A date that will live in infamy!!

Before I reply, I am just getting a feel for how many wins do you see for this year's team. Not if everything goes right, or everything goes wrong, just your gut feel for what you think will happen, not what you wish.

I say this because we may be thinking close to the same number, yet your glass half full approach and my glass half empty after 55 seasons of not seeing a football title by the Eagles could seemingly present strong arguments on either side with the same expected outcome.
Eyrie
Looking at the facts I should disagree with Zero.

Looking at my rejection by the Axis, I have to agree with Zero.

This is going to be a good team and an enjoyable season*.

*Disclaimer - statement is for entertainment purposes only and is not legally binding. Statement is provided by a certified DKD and should not be attempted at home. Actual results may vary from those projected. Consult your sports investment broker before donating to his kids' college fund. Do not rely on this statement if you are taking or not taking any legal or illegal substances. Stop relying on this advice as soon as you become aware that it is speculative bullshit.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 30 2016, 12:25 PM) *
May 30, 2016

A date that will live in infamy!!

Before I reply, I am just getting a feel for how many wins do you see for this year's team. Not if everything goes right, or everything goes wrong, just your gut feel for what you think will happen, not what you wish.

I say this because we may be thinking close to the same number, yet your glass half full approach and my glass half empty after 55 seasons of not seeing a football title by the Eagles could seemingly present strong arguments on either side with the same expected outcome.

I've been an Eagle fan for too long to think that everything will go right. It never has and it never will but we have no control over that and I'm not about to let it ruin my season ... it never has and it never will. biggrin.gif

That said, they win 9 games, contend for the division, settle for a WC and lose in the first round to the Cards.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ May 30 2016, 04:19 PM) *
I've been an Eagle fan for too long to think that everything will go right. It never has and it never will but we have no control over that and I'm not about to let it ruin my season ... it never has and it never will. biggrin.gif

That said, they win 9 games, contend for the division, settle for a WC and lose in the first round to the Cards.

I need to look at it closer, which I will do, but I think we're close.

The end of year power rankings have us 5-11 based on the locations and opponents in this year's schedule.

Vegas has us 7-9. However, they have us weakest in the East.

I'm thinking maybe a game better, 8-8, which is disappointing to me.

I think they need to get to 10 wins for a playoff berth, though.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Eyrie @ May 30 2016, 01:14 PM) *
Looking at the facts I should disagree with Zero.

Looking at my rejection by the Axis, I have to agree with Zero.

This is going to be a good team and an enjoyable season*.

*Disclaimer - statement is for entertainment purposes only and is not legally binding. Statement is provided by a certified DKD and should not be attempted at home. Actual results may vary from those projected. Consult your sports investment broker before donating to his kids' college fund. Do not rely on this statement if you are taking or not taking any legal or illegal substances. Stop relying on this advice as soon as you become aware that it is speculative bullshit.

bwah!!

One failed spelling/grammar test doesn't spell rejection. Just like the SAT's, sometimes you have to take the test twice!!
nephillymike
From a previous post when schedule came out:

======================================================================

I took a closer look and honestly was expecting an easy improvement from my 7-9.

Using Sagarin's final ratings and the standard 3 points for home field, our schedule is much tougher that I thought or than advertised.

I think I forgot just how bad we were at the end of last year!

http://sagarin.com/sports/nflsend.htm

From easiest predicted win, to toughest loss:

5 wins
vs. CLE = 7.5 pt fav
vs. DAL = 5.5 pt fav
vs NYG = 3.5 pt fav
vs. ATL = 3.0 pt fav
vs. WAS = 2.5 pt fav

11 losses
@ DAL = 0.5 pt dog
@ CHI = 2.5 pt dog
@ NYG = 2.5 pt dog
vs. MIN = 3.0 pt dog
@ BAL = 3.0 pt dog
@ WAS = 3.5 pt dog
vs PIT = 5.0 pt dog
@ DET = 5.0 pt dog
vs GB = 5.0 pt dog
@ CIN = 11.5 pt dog
@ SEA = 13.5 pt dog

Sure anything can happen and these things don't always hold true, but this is shocking in that I thought this little exercise would get me back to 8-8.

I also didn't look at other factors such as byes for us, byes for others etc, but even if that is one game in our favor then we're still at 6-10.

Also, the one team that was flukish last year was DAL b/c of Romo and a stronger DAL makes this tougher.

======================================================================

The ATL win looks tougher and the CHI loss seems less likely.

Still gets me back to 5-11.

Figure on two wins b/c of improved D, and I'm at 7-9.

I'd like it to be better, but I can't see it from here.

On a micro basis, I think our WR's are sub par at best.

Concern about our RB situation. Sproles absence seems odd, and his numbers dropped at the end of the year last year. I question his sitting out. We could get a FA like Polk to help out though.

Not sure how Sam handles the endless controversy. I think to demand a trade, a player has to "check out" emotionally from the city he was leaving. Having done that, he may have less tolerance for the bull shit coming from the fans this year. How does he react to the challenge when he doesn't have fan support and has inconsistent coach support. Not sure if he has the talent or temperment to be a "fuck you I'll show you" type. Maybe he'll be a surprise. I don't think so.

LB depth a big concern and they're depending on Kendricks who has lost some luster.

I think our draft was suspect at best and don't expect much help from there.

I too think we'll be OK at DB.

I think OL will be better as Peters will be healthier and happier with the coach and Brooks is a nice upgrade.

DL should be a strength if Cox does what ever other of his 5th year option class has done; show up to work.

Pedey at the helm? I like his demeanor, worried sick of his time management defense and the annointing of Barbre, the All Pro worthy of starting status. For all of Chip's faults, he got guys open and RB with room to run. Need to see if Pedey can do the same. Pedey hasn't cut any no shows yet. Chip would have.

I like Schwartz a lot. If he can be average, it will beat the crap coaching Billy had here for the last few years.

This team was so bad last year, we lost to TB by 28 and DET by 31. Could signify a heart and talent problem.

Still stuck on 7 wins, as an upside even. Would like to think otherwise.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 30 2016, 07:33 PM) *
On a micro basis, I think our WR's are sub par at best.

Concern about our RB situation.

Not sure how Sam handles the endless controversy.

This team was so bad last year, we lost to TB by 28 and DET by 31.

Either the WRs are sub par or they had shitty coaching. I don't know why, but I never liked Bicknell and I think he was a good part of the poor production from that unit.

Right about FAs ... Polk, Pierce after suspension, Foster, Bell.

Bradford's only hope to get what he wants is to play well.

The players quit on Kelly.

Eyrie
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 30 2016, 11:27 PM) *
bwah!!

One failed spelling/grammar test doesn't spell rejection. Just like the SAT's, sometimes you have to take the test twice!!

Duly noted, but I think it's only fair to give Pederson a decent length of time before demanding he be sacked. So check your inbox after the first quarter of the first pre-season game.

I'm cautiously optimistic that we can get to 9-7 this season based on improved OL play and a better coach/scheme for the defence. Against that I have my concerns about our WRs, CB, LB depth and Matthews' health. Looks like I'm projecting a win or two more than you based on the same evidence.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Eyrie @ May 31 2016, 01:35 PM) *
Duly noted, but I think it's only fair to give Pederson a decent length of time before demanding he be sacked. So check your inbox after the first quarter of the first pre-season game.

I'm cautiously optimistic that we can get to 9-7 this season based on improved OL play and a better coach/scheme for the defence. Against that I have my concerns about our WRs, CB, LB depth and Matthews' health. Looks like I'm projecting a win or two more than you based on the same evidence.

I posted the schedule above.

Pick your nine wins.

I'm having a tough time getting there.
Dreagon
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 30 2016, 06:33 PM) *
Also, the one team that was flukish last year was DAL b/c of Romo and a stronger DAL makes this tougher.

Maybe. But now we have to see what the fallout from that fluke is going to be. The last Romo we saw was a 34 year old Romo who had a season free of back problems. Now we skip a year and get a 36 year old Romo with a surgically repaired collarbone. We may have tried to trade up for Paxton Lynch and Connor Cook for a reason. Time will tell if that failure comes back to haunt us.

I'm hearing the Giants are having a good camp, and that JPP is looking 100% so they may be the scary ones this year.

Kirk Cousins is playing for a future contract this year so I would be keeping an eye on him as well.
Eyrie
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 1 2016, 01:31 AM) *
I posted the schedule above.

Pick your nine wins.

I'm having a tough time getting there.

It's not based on an in-depth consideration of the schedule, because I don't know enough about the other teams to confidently predict who we will match up well against.

It's based on our own improvements in isolation, together with the inevitable optimism at this time of year that comes from wanting to look forward to the new season and not dread it.
Zero
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jun 2 2016, 02:14 PM) *
It's not based on an in-depth consideration of the schedule, because I don't know enough about the other teams to confidently predict who we will match up well against.

It's based on our own improvements in isolation, together with the inevitable optimism at this time of year that comes from wanting to look forward to the new season and not dread it.

Seeing as every year there are teams that unexpectedly rise to the top and far exceed expectations and teams that are picked to excel but end up gasping for a shot at mediocracy, I agree.
Reality Fan
As a realistic optimist (and perhaps because I like to bust Mikey's stones) I count 10-11 wins.....I had 12 but I had to be realistic and back off 1-2.

The Eagles will have a good team this year. I am not saying "go deep in the playoffs" good but they will be one of the better teams.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.