Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Both Coordinators are saying open competition for QB
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000066...is-no-1-starter

As Carly said "That's the way I always heard it should be"
Joegrane
Sure, talk "competition" to try to make sure Sam stays motivated and make it look to everyone that Sam really won the competition.

That helps to improve the odds that he'll prepare, work hard, help the team get max Ws this year, get max return in a trade and increases the chances that they won't have to pay him in 2017.

However, Sam knows he is essentially in a contract year. He is fighting for a starting job in 2017 and extension on his contract.

I think all of that will work out well since I think the O Line will allow him to be successful. He'll naturally be motivated. He has enough talent. There is an adequate amount of talent around him. We just need to pray that he does not have a freak injury.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 25 2016, 09:12 PM) *
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000066...is-no-1-starter

As Carly said "That's the way I always heard it should be"
Phits
At this point, I'm hoping that Sammy doesn't need to be "motivated" to be able to outplay Wentz or Daniels.

QUOTE (Joegrane @ May 25 2016, 09:56 PM) *
Sure, talk "competition" to try to make sure Sam stays motivated and make it look to everyone that Sam really won the competition.

That helps to improve the odds that he'll prepare, work hard, help the team get max Ws this year, get max return in a trade and increases the chances that they won't have to pay him in 2017.

However, Sam knows he is essentially in a contract year. He is fighting for a starting job in 2017 and extension on his contract.

I think all of that will work out well since I think the O Line will allow him to be successful. He'll naturally be motivated. He has enough talent. There is an adequate amount of talent around him. We just need to pray that he does not have a freak injury.

Zero
Unless Sleeves is dramatically beaten out by Daniel or Wentz he needs to be the starter. Clearly, he's on a one-year "earn it" deal that the Eagles want to trade and they need the best compensation they can get. But the "competition" talk is interesting in that it appears to contradict what DPede has said ... I don't get that. Is the HC asking his coordinators to say this to encourage the rookie or send a message to the rest of the team that all jobs are won by competition ... or, are Schwartz and Reich stepping up and saying that their boss is clueless or lying? Or, maybe the team just wants to keep all the sports writers awake. laugh.gif
BirdsWinBaby
I don't pay attention to coach speak normally.....but it might indicate a problem when the rookie HC says "Sam's my guy" and his two more experienced coordinators who ostensibly are his subordinates, come out and contradict him

is DP a lame duck before his first official TC? players aren't stupid. they read this stuff too. hope it ends well. meh
Birdman420
It also keeps wentz from getting too comfortable.
Eyrie
Pederson can say that Bradford is the starter as much as he likes, but it won't change the fact that Bradford won't be the starter if either Daniels or Wentz are playing significantly better.

Reich and Schwartz can say that there is competition as much as they like, but it won't change the fact that Bradford will be the starter if he is playing at a similar level to Daniels and Wentz.

So it's a non-issue for me but still gives us something to discuss.
Joegrane
QUOTE (Zero @ May 26 2016, 06:22 AM) *
Unless Sleeves is dramatically beaten out by Daniel or Wentz he needs to be the starter. Clearly, he's on a one-year "earn it" deal that the Eagles want to trade and they need the best compensation they can get. But the "competition" talk is interesting in that it appears to contradict what DPede has said ... I don't get that. Is the HC asking his coordinators to say this to encourage the rookie or send a message to the rest of the team that all jobs are won by competition ...

Yes, I agree with you. They don't want a culture of complacency, but Howie and Pede had to make Sam feel like he's "the man" during negotiaions. So they are trying to honor their commitment to Sam who should be quite self-motivated and professional, but not create a lazy culture for the remainder of the team.

... or, are Schwartz and Reich stepping up and saying that their boss is clueless or lying? Or, maybe the team just wants to keep all the sports writers awake. laugh.gif

I think the message is scripted by the organization.
nephillymike
No cause for alarm yet for me.

Now if they come out and say Allen Barbre has to win his job, THEN I will be concerned!!
Eyrie
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 27 2016, 12:59 AM) *
No cause for alarm yet for me.

Now if they come out and say Allen Barbre has to win his job, THEN I will be concerned!!

I would be even more concerned if they come out and say that Barbre has won the job. I'm hoping that Seumalo or Wizniewski steps up to improve the LG spot.
Zero
nephillymike
Interesting tidbit.

Pedey comes on and says Sam has been great and has really run with this QB situation.

I suspect he's laying it on a little thick, but I haven't seen OTA's so how can I judge?

Then I hear a writer as a guest on 97.5 who has watched many OTA sessions say that Sam has been intercepted the most by far in OTA's so far.

I just hope they give all three enough similar time in the preseason games to have a fair competition.

Don't coddle anyone, treat them all like big boys and let the best man win.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 5 2016, 10:10 AM) *
Then I hear a writer as a guest on 97.5 who has watched many OTA sessions say that Sam has been intercepted the most by far in OTA's so far.

I'm not sure that means much of anything at this point ... we don't know who's to blame. I'd like Sleeves to do well for more than one reason and I agree the best guy has to win the job.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.