Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bidding Against Ourselves
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Howie needs a little more Banner in him:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/...way-to-move-up/

We know it was rich by historical standards now we know it was rich based on CLE expectations.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 21 2016, 04:10 AM) *
Howie needs a little more Banner in him:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/...way-to-move-up/

We know it was rich by historical standards now we know it was rich based on CLE expectations.

Not to nit pick, but we know that Cleveland says that. We don't know if they're trying to convince their fan base that they've changed and now are good at what they get paid for. We don't know if there were other teams who were believed to be interested in acquiring the pick. All we now know is that a team that has been historically inept at personnel management is telling us they outsmarted Howard Roseman.
Joegrane
It could be some post-event bravado, but maybe they are also protecting themselves in the event RGIII is a flame out and Wentz goes on to be quite successful.

I still think Cle made the right decision for their situation.

QUOTE (Zero @ May 21 2016, 05:35 AM) *
Not to nit pick, but we know that Cleveland says that. We don't know if they're trying to convince their fan base that they've changed and now are good at what they get paid for. We don't know if there were other teams who were believed to be interested in acquiring the pick. All we now know is that a team that has been historically inept at personnel management is telling us they outsmarted Howard Roseman.

Reality Fan
It is very telling....it is not bravado, it is a guy who is new to the NFL telling folks the were dealing with the clown prince of overpaying. I don't know how many examples one needs to realize that.

Howie the deal maker has committed several blunders in the offseason overpaying, this just confirms another.

Somewhere a QB is shaking his head.....
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ May 21 2016, 10:27 AM) *
It is very telling....it is not bravado, it is a guy who is new to the NFL telling folks the were dealing with the clown prince of overpaying. I don't know how many examples one needs to realize that.

Howie the deal maker has committed several blunders in the offseason overpaying, this just confirms another.

Sometimes I wonder where you get your material. "Clown prince of overpaying"??? I don't have the energy to search, but didn't you praise the guy for what he did with Miami and Tennessee? Assuming you agree there were some serious repairs needed from 2015 GM mismanagement, don't you think that the 2016 GM would be working at a serious disadvantage trying to put this truck back on the road?

I like what Howard has done so far this time around but I'm not "all in" either. All these things need to be viewed in context and should be given reasonable time to evaluate fairly. Maybe that's DKD thinking, accepting that I don't have the acumen to know and understanding that I'm no more than the baby flea on an elephant's back and not a T-Rex biting his ass. You may think you know how the cheeks taste, but you could also be biting into some serious elephant shit. laugh.gif
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ May 21 2016, 10:53 AM) *
Sometimes I wonder where you get your material. "Clown prince of overpaying"??? I don't have the energy to search, but didn't you praise the guy for what he did with Miami and Tennessee? Assuming you agree there were some serious repairs needed from 2015 GM mismanagement, don't you think that the 2016 GM would be working at a serious disadvantage trying to put this truck back on the road?

I like what Howard has done so far this time around but I'm not "all in" either. All these things need to be viewed in context and should be given reasonable time to evaluate fairly. Maybe that's DKD thinking, accepting that I don't have the acumen to know and understanding that I'm no more than the baby flea on an elephant's back and not a T-Rex biting his ass. You may think you know how the cheeks taste, but you could also be biting into some serious elephant shit. laugh.gif

I did like what he did with Miami....what does that have to do with overpaying?

When he did that I expected him to pick a player to help his defense or look for a top WR.

I did not expect him to pay a guard so much.*8 million per)..hopefully Brooks is a stud but no pro bowls to date.

I did not like paying Daniels more than any backup ever by a large margin.

I hated the trade to go to number 2 and now it is out that he used the Gomez Adams negotiation technique.

I said that There would not be much of a market for Bradford and he paid him a ton of money *ironic for those that now wail about no one wanting Bradford) and it appears he bid against himself there as well.

You don't have to know diddly to see the pattern.
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ May 21 2016, 02:38 PM) *
1. I did like what he did with Miami....what does that have to do with overpaying?

2. When he did that I expected him to pick a player to help his defense or look for a top WR.

3. I did not expect him to pay a guard so much.*8 million per)..hopefully Brooks is a stud but no pro bowls to date.

4. I did not like paying Daniels more than any backup ever by a large margin.

5. I hated the trade to go to number 2 and now it is out that he used the Gomez Adams negotiation technique.

6. I said that There would not be much of a market for Bradford and he paid him a ton of money *ironic for those that now wail about no one wanting Bradford) and it appears he bid against himself there as well.

You don't have to know diddly to see the pattern.

1. How much did the Maxwell trade save the team?
2. What's that got to do with over spending?
3. What sought after player would come to a team in obvious disarray for cheap, and are you saying Brooks isn't worth his contract?
4. Previous discussion, but conceded despite an argument that having him could help speed the installation of a new offense.
5. Weak ... bring on the bar lady. biggrin.gif
6. Possibly, but there's an argument for locking him up on a show me contract at that point in time ... ie. before they knew there was a possible alternative strategy.

All I'm saying is that you're hyperventilating before there are enough facts to know what the outcome is.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ May 21 2016, 03:04 PM) *
1. How much did the Maxwell trade save the team?
2. What's that got to do with over spending?
3. What sought after player would come to a team in obvious disarray for cheap, and are you saying Brooks isn't worth his contract?
4. Previous discussion, but conceded despite an argument that having him could help speed the installation of a new offense.
5. Weak ... bring on the bar lady. biggrin.gif
6. Possibly, but there's an argument for locking him up on a show me contract at that point in time ... ie. before they knew there was a possible alternative strategy.

All I'm saying is that you're hyperventilating before there are enough facts to know what the outcome is.

We ate money on Maxwell and have to pay a replacement but still a good move....in my opinion, and it is just that, we squandered it overpaying for a guy who analytics say is most likely to fail. I hope it is wrong but it is scary. Had we taken another player at 8 we would have had several more draft picks to continue to rebuild. That overpayment is worriesome. It also says that Howie got outclassed by a guy new to the NFL GM world.

Brooks is now the 3rd highest paid guard.....and has not been to a pro bowl in his 4 years. He may be good and I hope he is but 8 million per is a lot of money for a guard.....ask Mathis.

The bar lady can't help you when Cleveland gloats about snookering you in a trade.....

I am not hyperventilating at all. I am just worried that Howie went Dream Team like after resuming power. He made what seems like a bunch of good moves but made some seriously large gambles and followed them up with a very risky draft.

That sets the Eagles up for a small chance to be great and a large chance to be mediocre or worse for many years.

I get the excitement for a chance at a franchise QB.....but history shows the method used to get a risky one never works. The assets used to do it multiplies the risk rather than mitigating it.
nephillymike
Speaking of bidding against ourselves,

Does everyone agree that if a top tier FA DT is worth $95M over 6 years with $60M guaranteed is not worth that much if he signs a deal the year before becoming a franchiseable FA. Right?

And as such, Howie should get a 10% or so discount for doing this deal a year early. I hope he knows this.

If Cox wants FA market value, then he needs to wait until he is a free agent.

$86M, 6 years, 54M guaranteed.

BTW, if that is market value, I don't think we should be in the DT business.

Keep him for this year, franchise him next if you want, and shake his hand a wish him luck.

If he plays as well as a DE with sacks, maybe I change my tune a bit. Bu then, you have way too much invested in DE's
Dreagon
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ May 21 2016, 09:27 AM) *

I thought Dan Snyder was the Clown Prince of Overpaying.
Zero
QUOTE (Dreagon @ May 21 2016, 11:18 PM) *
I thought Dan Snyder was the Clown Prince of Overpaying.

Hahahaha! Well placed, Dreagon! jumpclap.gif

Some people need cheap beer and Miley or their day just doesn't fit together. laugh.gif
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ May 22 2016, 05:45 AM) *
Hahahaha! Well placed, Dreagon! jumpclap.gif

Some people need cheap beer and Miley or their day just doesn't fit together. laugh.gif

If not for all the cheesy tatts Miley is hot.....lol
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.