Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where are the biggest questions?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
We're going into the first of mandatory off season workouts following a disappointing 2015. What do you think are the biggest questions in the organization? For me, in order of level of concern, most to least:
  1. Head coach ability
  2. Bradford's health/commitment
  3. Linebacker depth
  4. Cornerback
  5. Running Back health/depth
  6. Cox signing
  7. Ownership aptitude
  8. Personnel evaluation
Judging Pederson off of the very little we've seen, I have no idea if he can command the respect of his players and coaches or run the offense as he apparently plans on doing. We don't know if he can game plan or keep the team emotionally prepared to deal with the challenges of a season. So far, he comes across to me as a milk toast, yes man, safe choice to counter the acrid air left by the previous coach ... both with the players and with the front office. Does he have whatever it takes to make a collection of players a team and lead them to a championship?

Bradford has shown that he has talent and his teammates seem to like him and how he plays. The question for me is if he can put the past month or so behind him and get the other players to put themselves on the line for him during games. Players like Agholor and Randle need to take their game to another level and it seems apparent that the QB plays a part in that.

The three starting LBs look good, but both Kendricks and Hicks carry big health questions. As I understand it, Schwartz's defense relies on the LBs to make the plays after the DL gets pressure. Who's there to do that if one of or both of these guys go down? Similarly, who's behind Mathews and Sproles? Can either Smallwood or Barner fill the hole? Who are the starting CBs? There appears to be some workable choices between Rowe, Carroll and McKelvin, with Sheppard and Rice as depth.

I think the Cox deal will get done, mainly because both sides want it to. Maybe Lurie should be higher on that list than I have him, he made a big, arrogant mistake with Kelly but seems to be correcting it. Obviously he needs to hold Howard accountable for whatever he does, but the hiring of Douglas signals some indication of humility and responsibility for Roseman.

Dreagon
I think you guys are the mystery team of the division this year.

Usually it's the Giants but they might actually be getting their feet back under them.
The Redskins? I don't think they can count on all three of their division opponents falling on their faces again so we'll see if they are for real. I have my doubts.
Joegrane
I'm glad I'm not a Dallas fan. It is like having a relative on deathbed. You don't know when Romo will kick the bucket but you know it will be too soon and it will make for a bad year.

QUOTE (Dreagon @ May 17 2016, 07:50 AM) *
I think you guys are the mystery team of the division this year.

Usually it's the Giants but they might actually be getting their feet back under them.
The Redskins? I don't think they can count on all three of their division opponents falling on their faces again so we'll see if they are for real. I have my doubts.

Dreagon
QUOTE (Joegrane @ May 17 2016, 04:37 PM) *
I'm glad I'm not a Dallas fan. It is like having a relative on deathbed. You don't know when Romo will kick the bucket but you know it will be too soon and it will make for a bad year.

That's pretty much exactly where we are. I have no idea what our season will be like next year other than to say it all depends on Romo. A healthy Romo means we'll be in the race for division champ. On the other hand we've already seen what happens if Romo goes down, and we've done nothing to improve matters since then.
The Franchise
[*]Head coach ability
[*]Bradford's health/commitment
[*]Linebacker depth
[*]Cornerback
[*]Running Back health/depth
[*]Cox signing
[*]Ownership aptitude
[*]Personnel evaluation

My biggest concern overall is Howie. Assuming Bradford shows up and stays healthy, there's no reason this team shouldn't be significantly better. If what we're getting about of Pederson is a version of Andy Reid that understands play calling balance and clock management, then I probably couldn't be happier.
Phits
Glasshouses my brother.

QUOTE (Joegrane @ May 17 2016, 05:37 PM) *

Joegrane
That's fair, Phits but the Eagles are a rebuilding team. Many of us were expecting Daniel to be the starter for much of the season with the rookie finishing after being eliminated from playoffs.

Dallas is trying to make one more run with Romo, etc.

QUOTE (Phits @ May 17 2016, 08:30 PM) *
Glasshouses my brother.

Joegrane
#3 Head coach ability. I don't expect him to be as capable as A. Reid but okay for now. They needed an anti-Chip who can groom the young QB. I like his chances of being successful there. If this was a playoff caliber team it might be my #1.

#7 Bradford's health/commitment. They are not a strong playoff contender so his health is not a big issue. They have depth at QB. I have no question about his commitment. He is essentially in a contract year, has been a high character guy and has more ability than he's gotten a fair chance to show. How many different coaches has he worked for?!

#4 Linebacker depth. They could do much worse than have Barwin available for depth.

#5 Cornerback. Pass rush will be improved to help them. The CBs will be adequate for a playoff contender and they seem to have solid depth.

#2 Running Back health/depth. MASH unit : ( If Smallwood has to be more than a 3rd down back Bradford will need a much better life insurance policy.

#6 Cox signing. Won't be surprised if it does not get done soon. The Eagles need to be in the ball park just to show him respect. If the teammates feel the Eagles are not disrespecting their leader, it should be fine. Winning and success will soothe some of that. I expect that front 7 to be good if they stay reasonably healthy.

#8 Ownership aptitude. We are fortunate to have J Lurie.

#1. Personnel evaluation. I did not trust Howie and his hodge-podge staff this year. Thankfully they did not have very many picks to screw up. However I actually think this will be considered an above-average draft. I like their first three picks and some of the risks they took late. Hopefully the new staff will be better prepared for next year.

QUOTE (Zero @ May 17 2016, 06:59 AM) *
... What do you think are the biggest questions in the organization? For me, in order of level of concern, most to least...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.