Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fletch
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Fletcher Cox, who will move from end to tackle under the new 4-3 defensive alignment of coordinator Jim Schwartz, is perhaps the most talented player on the team. At 25, he is coming into the very prime of his career and would like to be paid accordingly.

The Eagles have him under contract this season on the fifth-year option from his rookie deal, and could potentially use a franchise tag twice to keep him through the 2018 season, but that would require Cox to show up and play. He might do that, but, unlike Bradford, who has both a new contract and viable replacements on the roster, Cox is in a pretty good leverage situation.
---->

Ford says Cox has leverage, and I agree to a point. I heard an interesting thought on the radio the other day that suggests that the Eagles also have leverage.

If Cox continues to hold out he loses money and he doesn't seem the personality to do that. I believe he's said he wants to be an Eagle forever and is really excited to play for Schwartz especially after his rookie introduction with Washburn. If he plays without an extension and is franchised for two years he risks a career ending injury and supposedly will actually make less than if the Eagles extend him at the published numbers. I'll leave the analysis and details to the numbers guys.
Reality Fan
It is a curious situation and the numbers are hard to follow because no one knows what the real offers are. It has dragged on longer than anyone expected. If he is tagged 2 years in a row his salary in the 2nd year would be close to 20 million.

It seems Cox has most of the leverage, He is making 8 million this year but the tag is likely to 16 next year. He is young and relatively healthy. He was listed once as probable last year on the injury report. In fact, he was listed as probable about 4 times in the last 3 years. His rookie season he was questionable a few time and doubtful but he did not miss a game in the last 3 years.

The Eagles have some leverage for the obvious threat of injury to a tagged player but tagging a player a 2nd time is rare for the obvious reason of the high salary (120%of the previous tag or an average of the top 5, whichever is higher). There is also the animosity created between player and team.

This could get ugly but it is really hard to predict because the numbers have been all over the place.
nephillymike
He had his 5th year option picked up in accordance with the revised much improved for drafted players under their original deal NFL CBA and for someone in his draft slot, he gets the average of the 2nd -25th best DL's in the league.

I haven't heard of any other 5th year optionees sitting out. Are there others?

I guess part of me says it isn't mandatory time yet, part of me says get the fuck into camp there is a new defense to learn you're paid well, part of me says if it is a big thing and a bunch of others do it around the league maybe it's not a big deal.

I'm leaning toward get the fuck into camp.
mcnabbulous
He deserves to be paid like an elite player at his position. He hasn't cashed in yet in his career. I'm fine with him sitting out the voluntary stuff.

Why risk injury for that?
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 15 2016, 10:25 AM) *
He deserves to be paid like an elite player at his position. He hasn't cashed in yet in his career. I'm fine with him sitting out the voluntary stuff.

Why risk injury for that?

He did get a real nice bump which is put in there for these types of situations.

Do a lot of other 5th year guys do this? I don't remember hearing of any others, but have not been focused on it.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 15 2016, 10:28 AM) *
He did get a real nice bump which is put in there for these types of situations.

Do a lot of other 5th year guys do this? I don't remember hearing of any others, but have not been focused on it.

Sure he got a bump, but his career earnings aren't representative of his skills and accomplishments thus far.

If he's not there for the mandatory stuff, it's a problem. But until then, he can save himself.

Not sure about the precedent. Lots of the really good players sign extensions at this point. Not sure how many elite guys make it to their fifth year on their rookie contract. Those are the guys we should be comparing him to.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.