Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is your Preseason Games QB Rotation?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Was thinking about this today.

A guy on the radio said that this year would be the year when instead of people LEAVING at halftime of the preseason games, they would ARRIVE at halftime to see the Kid!!

I know I will be in the minority with my rotation, but I always think that an open and fair competition should be fair in that the participants should play against the same competition, as best as possible.

I'll start with saying that if during training camp, the Kid shows that as expected by many, he is not ready and needs more time, then I go with option A, a two person competition. However, if he shows enough that he is close to the other two during training camp, then I go with option B, a three person competition.

Option A, a two QB competition based on training camp

Game 1 - Bradford and Daniels split the 1st half, rotating in for two series at a time. Kid plays the 2nd half
Game 2 - Bradford and Daniels split the 1st 3 quarters, rotating in for two series at a time. Kid plays 4th quarter.
Game 3 - Bradford and Daniels split the 1st 3 quarters, rotating in for two series at a time. Kid plays 4th quarter.
Game 4** - Bradford and Daniels split the 1st half, rotating in for two series at a time. Kid plays the 2nd half.

** if starter is decided, then starter sits, backup plays 1st Qtr, the Kid plays last 3 quarters.

Option B, a three QB competition based on training camp

Game 1 - Bradford,Daniels and the Kid split the entire game, rotating in for two series at a time.
Game 2 - Bradford,Daniels and the Kid split the entire game, rotating in for two series at a time.
Game 3 - Bradford,Daniels and the Kid split the entire game, rotating in for two series at a time.
Game 4** - Bradford,Daniels and the Kid split three quarters, rotating in for two series at a time. 4th guy plays the 4th.

** if starter is decided, then starter sits, backup plays 1st Qtr, 3rd string plays 2nd & 3rd, 4th guy plays the 4th.

Easy, right?
Zero
Last .. I don't think they'll carry 4 QBs so I guess this would be an audition.

First .. I'm guessing this is preseason and I'd go with option A. This appears to be the typical approach.
The Franchise
I'd give Bradford the first half, and let Daniels/Wentz each get a quarter in the 2nd half. If Bradford shits the bed, let whoever played better get the 1st half of next game. Rinse and repeat until you have a clear starter. If the competition is pretty even entering the 4th game, gotta go with who you're paying $18 million to.
Reality Fan
Bradford will play a series or 2 in game one.....daniels will finish the half and Wentz will get most or all of the 2nd half.

Then Bradford will get a quarter Daniels a quarter and Wentz will get the 2nd half.

Then Bradford will get a half, Daniels and Wentz will split a half.

Then Daniels and Wentz will split game 4.

That is typical of a Ried preseason and I don't expect Pederson to be much different.
Joegrane
That sounds reasonable; however since Bradford is new to the offense and a little behind schedule, I would not be surprised if he gets a little extra PT during the first preseason game.

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ May 15 2016, 09:17 PM) *
Bradford will play a series or 2 in game one.....daniels will finish the half and Wentz will get most or all of the 2nd half.

Then Bradford will get a quarter Daniels a quarter and Wentz will get the 2nd half.

Then Bradford will get a half, Daniels and Wentz will split a half.

Then Daniels and Wentz will split game 4.

That is typical of a Ried preseason and I don't expect Pederson to be much different.

nephillymike
QUOTE (Joegrane @ May 15 2016, 10:10 PM) *
That sounds reasonable; however since Bradford is new to the offense and a little behind schedule, I would not be surprised if he gets a little extra PT during the first preseason game.

I would think this is the rotation when there is not competition at the time the preseason starts.

I am assuming they are competing.

I agree with your playing time if the competition is over (or never was one) by the preseason games.

Would you still recommend your version if at least two of them are close through training camp?
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 16 2016, 06:23 AM) *
I would think this is the rotation when there is not competition at the time the preseason starts.

I am assuming they are competing.

I agree with your playing time if the competition is over (or never was one) by the preseason games.

Would you still recommend your version if at least two of them are close through training camp?

Where is this competition of which you speak? Didn't the Eagles say that Sam is the starter? I thought I read something about that.....lol
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.