Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wendell
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Here:
"The line was solid last year but it definitely wasn't the main reason for Smallwood's success. WVU used a two-back system with Rushel Shell and Wendell Smallwood. Shell has been very consistent in his college career averaging 4.4-4.5 yards per carry in each of his three seasons. While Rushel gained 4.5 yards, Wendell gained 6.4. Even when Wendell was nursing a sore ankle and other ailments that come with running 80-90 plays a game, he was still gaining large chunks of yardage. Wendell is such a quick player with good vision that the line didn't need to open a very big hole or hold it open long for him to get up and through the hole."
What are his strengths?

"1. Vision - Wendell has shown the ability to see the hole before it opens up and the ability to diagnose a play as it is happening. Look no further than his 3rd-and-22 conversion in the Motel 6 Cactus Bowl. With WVU trailing and needing to pick up a large chunk of yardage, the Mountaineers opted to run off tackle with Wendell. Arizona State pursued the play well and cut off the hole. Wendell saw this and saw that Arizona State had overpursued. He cut back inside and picked up the yardage to convert for a first down.

2. Quickness through the hole - Wendell gets to his top gear very fast and can quickly get through the smallest holes.

3. Pass catching and ability to line up in the slot - As Eagles fans are probably aware, college offenses use up-tempo stacked plays to keep defenses honest. WVU is no different. WVU loves to "go fast" picking up a first down and immediately running another play. Wendell's versatility and ability to catch the football allowed the Mountaineers to line him up int he slot on one play, running back on another play, motion him out wide and then bring him in motion back in consecutive plays. He caught 68 passes in his three year career.

4. Football intelligence - This one I saw a lot in Tiki Barber during his final years when he was picking up blitzers without having to be told. Wendell is very similar and picked up pass protection quickly and is a willing blocker. He sees the linebacker or safety creeping up and often crossed the quarterback to pick up a free rusher."
Joegrane
Thx for the article on RB Wendell Smallwood.

The author also wrote...

What are his weaknesses? "Wendell, despite showing 4.4 speed at the combine, never really displayed that speed in college. He was one or two steps from breaking plays many times but he was always caught. He also seems to reach top speed but doesn't have an extra gear. He isn't overly physical and isn't very elusive. He tends to get what is there and doesn't make many guys miss or run away from players."

That is what I saw when I watched his touches from a couple of games on Youtube. I did not see the 4.4 speed. He seemed average. He used his blockers well. He took what they provided, did not lose yardage by dancing around in the backfield, but rarely broke tackles with quickness or power.

His soft hands and speed will translate to the NFL, but I fear his lack of lower body strength will be exposed.

Even though, I suspect he has enough to be able to contribute this year on 3rd down and in the screen game.

QUOTE (Zero @ May 12 2016, 12:29 PM) *
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (Joegrane @ May 12 2016, 05:54 PM) *
Thx for the article on RB Wendell Smallwood.

The author also wrote...

That is what I saw when I watched his touches from a couple of games on Youtube. I did not see the 4.4 speed. He seemed average. He used his blockers well. He took what they provided, did not lose yardage by dancing around in the backfield, but rarely broke tackles with quickness or power.

His soft hands and speed will translate to the NFL, but I fear his lack of lower body strength will be exposed.

Even though, I suspect he has enough to be able to contribute this year on 3rd down and in the screen game.

Honestly, if you can get a guy who can get 4-5 yards a pop in this O, you have what you need.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.