Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Funny we just discussed this yesterday
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
Reality Fan
I would love to know if his source was in Denver or if it was Condon.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2016/5/...delphia-broncos
Zero
You know, everyone is talking about a weak NFC East. As long as Romo can stay upright (listening Fletch?) the addition of Zeke should add appreciably to that offense. The defense has some questions, but there's not a team I can think of that doesn't share that on at least one side of the ball. And Washington now has a real GM who seems to be doing some good work. Again, as long as Cousins can repeat what he did last year that team could be pretty good. I don't think this is cupcake division it has been the past few years.
Phits
QUOTE (Zero @ May 11 2016, 04:40 PM) *
as long as Cousins can repeat what he did last year that team could be pretty good.

Do you mean not beating a team with a winning record?
nephillymike
Check this site for an upcoming Podcast of the Ron Jaworski show with Sal Pal.

Sal got the scoop from Condon on how it went down.

It seems like it was Sam's doing and Condon was trying to make the best of it.

Sal has some good inside info.

The Podcast should be up soon. It aired live from 6-7 this evening.

http://975thefanatic.com/podcasts/
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 11 2016, 08:09 PM) *

Yep I heard it live.....
Joegrane
I heard much of the original broadcast. I found Sal's claims to be credible. I've assumed that was the most likely scenario about Bradford and his request for a trade.

I'd probably feel similarly if I had been in his place, especially if they gave me the impression they planned to draft a mid round QB, not Top 10.

I wonder if he got engaged to someone from this area. Did purchase property in the area? There is still much we don't know.

I still think Howie and Pederson dreamed of moving up from #13 to #2 but knew it was a long shot. They assumed Bradford would be their QB for the coming years along with a mid round developmental guy.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 11 2016, 08:09 PM) *

Phits
Condon ran his mouth of on The Rich Eisen show. After side stepping the question of Sammy's fear of competition the jackass had this to say:

"We thought we had a chance to go to a really good football team and be there for a long time," he said. "That opportunity was there and the attempt was made. When the Broncos contacted the Eagles and talked about the trade, they couldn't agree on a price. At that point our options are pretty limited. So our next best option is to go back and prepare for the season."

Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ May 11 2016, 10:28 PM) *
Condon ran his mouth of on The Rich Eisen show. After side stepping the question of Sammy's fear of competition the jackass had this to say:

ok...explain this asinine "fear of competition" idiocy...the Eagles declared him the starter for 2016 so there is no competition there and they traded a ton to move up to number 2 so Wentz is the guy next year so where is this fear of competition? It is called common sense or do you think they traded all that to keep Wentz on the bench for 2 years...This is not about competition at all...it is about wanting to play for a team where there is a chance to win the job for several years...it is called opportunity not competition.

nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ May 11 2016, 09:46 PM) *
ok...explain this asinine "fear of competition" idiocy...the Eagles declared him the starter for 2016 so there is no competition there and they traded a ton to move up to number 2 so Wentz is the guy next year so where is this fear of competition? It is called common sense or do you think they traded all that to keep Wentz on the bench for 2 years...This is not about competition at all...it is about wanting to play for a team where there is a chance to win the job for several years...it is called opportunity not competition.

At least Condon confirmed what we thought.

Both Sam and the Eagles would have both been very happy had DEN thought Bradford worth their asking price.

I don't have a problem with it.

Sam was all for the trade. I'm not going to cry for him.

The Eagles were all for the trade at the right price, no problem there.

Play ball. Man up.

Tomorrow never knows.
Phits
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ May 11 2016, 10:46 PM) *

There's no guarantee that Wentz will usurp Sammy as the starting QB, no matter what it cost to get him. Condon said all Sammy has to do is play (extremely) well and the rest will take care of itself. Clearly Sammy has an issue with being able to live up to those expectations. So maybe you're right, he's not afraid of the competition he's afraid of his (figurative) shadow.

Go out there and "ball up". Force the Eagles to make the decision.
Joegrane
"The right price" might say something about how much the Eagles value Sam. If rumors are correct that Howie was asking 2 2nd rounders, he clearly values Sam quite a bit.

Did Howie not compromise because he thinks Sam's value will be greater after this season?

Did he feel he had to give Mr Lurie something for his millions in investment in Sam?

Did he just make a mistake by incorrectly assuming Denver would overpay?

QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 11 2016, 10:53 PM) *
At least Condon confirmed what we thought.

Both Sam and the Eagles would have both been very happy had DEN thought Bradford worth their asking price.

Zero
QUOTE (Joegrane @ May 11 2016, 11:04 PM) *
"The right price" might say something about how much the Eagles value Sam. If rumors are correct that Howie was asking 2 2nd rounders, he clearly values Sam quite a bit.

Did Howie not compromise because he thinks Sam's value will be greater after this season?

Did he feel he had to give Mr Lurie something for his millions in investment in Sam?

Did he just make a mistake by incorrectly assuming Denver would overpay?

"The right price" was partially based on $11 million that the Eagles paid that was not transferrable from a trade partner.
Joegrane
I hear you. I alluded to that in my post.

So you think the Eagles felt if they could not get very generous compensation for Sam, they'd prefer to have Sam here for the year.

Sam presumably gives the Eagles the best chance for maximum Ws this year. It will likely give Sam an opportunity to increase his value to potential trade partners after this year. That will help the Eagles to get max return in a trade and help Sam to get a position where he is "the man."

QUOTE (Zero @ May 12 2016, 05:51 AM) *
"The right price" was partially based on $11 million that the Eagles paid that was not transferrable from a trade partner.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ May 11 2016, 11:03 PM) *
There's no guarantee that Wentz will usurp Sammy as the starting QB, no matter what it cost to get him. Condon said all Sammy has to do is play (extremely) well and the rest will take care of itself. Clearly Sammy has an issue with being able to live up to those expectations. So maybe you're right, he's not afraid of the competition he's afraid of his (figurative) shadow.

Go out there and "ball up". Force the Eagles to make the decision.

only an idiot would believe that the Eagles will not trot out their new toy as soon as possible. They simply traded too much to get him. Only a trip deep into the playoffs will stave that off. I do not think it is realistic to believe that stellar QB play alone can accomplish that. The situation is that the Eagles are kind of trapped into playing him as soon as possible. That is not competition. This is not a Favre/Rodgers situation. The Pack drafted Rodgers late in the first round and were under no pressure to play him and Bradford is no Favre. This is really a situation where Wentz should start right away. That the Eagles refused any trade of Bradford paints them into a corner to play him for a year, again, that eliminates competition for a year.

While Bradford chose the wrong action it is easy to see why he is pissed. He thought he would have a chance to compete to be the guy for the future and the Eagles turned around and said "no, you won't".
Phits
With the $$ investment they made at the QB position, it would be foolish to think that they would play Wentz any sooner than they deem fit. Circumstance will determine that.

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ May 12 2016, 11:42 AM) *
only an idiot would believe that the Eagles will not trot out their new toy as soon as possible. They simply traded too much to get him. Only a trip deep into the playoffs will stave that off. I do not think it is realistic to believe that stellar QB play alone can accomplish that. The situation is that the Eagles are kind of trapped into playing him as soon as possible. That is not competition. This is not a Favre/Rodgers situation. The Pack drafted Rodgers late in the first round and were under no pressure to play him and Bradford is no Favre. This is really a situation where Wentz should start right away. That the Eagles refused any trade of Bradford paints them into a corner to play him for a year, again, that eliminates competition for a year.

While Bradford chose the wrong action it is easy to see why he is pissed. He thought he would have a chance to compete to be the guy for the future and the Eagles turned around and said "no, you won't".

Joegrane
I agree with Phits. This situation is different than most when a Top 10 QB is selected.

Those teams rarely have a starting-caliber QB. The Eagles have a guy who can be at least average if he is healthy, has a decent supporting cast and has more than one freakin year under the same coach.

Therefore the Eagles are QB salesmen this year. They will do what they can to make Sam look good, look valuable.

I also don't see Wentz beating out an experienced backup who already knows the system and who also is friends with the coach.

Finally this is Philly. Pederson and Co know the City of Tough Love. How many times did we hear Andy R say something about putting his players in a position to succeed? Pederson heard that 10x more than we did. They won't put their prize rookie in a position to fail.

Pederson has no pressure to win this year. Barring injury to two QBs, Wentz safely carries the clipboard while he learns in practice. Gradually he will impress his teammates and gain their confidence. He'll be going up against a good D in practice. They'll have a decent feel for when he is ready.

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ May 12 2016, 11:42 AM) *
only an idiot would believe that the Eagles will not trot out their new toy as soon as possible. They simply traded too much to get him. Only a trip deep into the playoffs will stave that off. ...
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ May 12 2016, 03:43 PM) *
With the $$ investment they made at the QB position, it would be foolish to think that they would play Wentz any sooner than they deem fit. Circumstance will determine that.

But haven't you and others here stated they invested that money before they knew they could get Wentz? I agree, they invested way too much both in paying Bradford AND trading away players and picks for Wentz. But they did both.

Only one QB taken in the first 5 picks did not start at least one game his rooikie year.....1. Palmer. Since 1970
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ May 12 2016, 07:57 PM) *
But haven't you and others here stated they invested that money before they knew they could get Wentz? I agree, they invested way too much both in paying Bradford AND trading away players and picks for Wentz. But they did both.

Only one QB taken in the first 5 picks did not start at least one game his rooikie year.....1. Palmer. Since 1970

What's the point? You think they expended too many resources for a player they deem to be the franchise QB of the future because he's not ready to start? That's one thing, putting him under fire because of what they spent even if they don't think he's ready is another thing. Do you think that's a good idea?
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ May 12 2016, 06:57 PM) *

How many of those teams invested $30M in other QB's for that season?

They have $30M other reasons to take it slow.
samaroo
Everyone I've talked to or read or listened to knew exactly what Bradford's contract was when it was signed--a gussied-up one-year "prove it" deal--except Bradford, apparently. I still don't get how he was "blindsided" and "lied to" because the Eagles drafted a QB. It doesn't matter where they drafted one, or what they gave up, or how much Daniel is making. He signed a two-year deal that heavily incentivizes the Eagles to get rid of him after one. Very clearly.
Joegrane
"Get rid of" or sign a longer-term extension. I assume Sam was planning on the latter.

QUOTE (samaroo @ May 12 2016, 09:51 PM) *
Everyone I've talked to or read or listened to knew exactly what Bradford's contract was when it was signed--a gussied-up one-year "prove it" deal--except Bradford, apparently. I still don't get how he was "blindsided" and "lied to" because the Eagles drafted a QB. It doesn't matter where they drafted one, or what they gave up, or how much Daniel is making. He signed a two-year deal that heavily incentivizes the Eagles to get rid of him after one. Very clearly.

They also have draft picks coming for Sam. Making him look good will be a priority.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 12 2016, 09:33 PM) *

Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 12 2016, 09:33 PM) *

But if they traded Bradford for whatever they recoup some of that.....now you don't think they should eat that? Damn you are fickle...lol
Reality Fan
QUOTE (samaroo @ May 12 2016, 09:51 PM) *

I have to ask...what part of a "prove it" contract do you not get? That is exactly what it was....prove it and we extend you...it did not incentive the Eagles to get rid of him, it incentivized Bradford to play well for a big extension and it protected the Eagles if he did not.

ANd how in the hell does it not matter where they drafted one? That is silly. Of course it matters. If they drafted a guy in the 3rd round Bradford's "prove it" contract is still feasible or do you think that trading away a net 3 picks and 2 players does not make it impossible for the Eagles not to play Wentz at most after 1 year?
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ May 12 2016, 11:43 PM) *
I have to ask...what part of a "prove it" contract do you not get? That is exactly what it was....prove it and we extend you...it did not incentive the Eagles to get rid of him, it incentivized Bradford to play well for a big extension and it protected the Eagles if he did not.

ANd how in the hell does it not matter where they drafted one? That is silly. Of course it matters. If they drafted a guy in the 3rd round Bradford's "prove it" contract is still feasible or do you think that trading away a net 3 picks and 2 players does not make it impossible for the Eagles not to play Wentz at most after 1 year?

Anyone over the age of 15 should know that you don't sign a contract with assumptions. Condon and Bradford may have assumed the short deal meant an extension but apparently it didn't. That's not on Howard, that's on Condon. He blew it and now he's in full damage control.
D Rock
QUOTE (samaroo @ May 13 2016, 02:51 AM) *

He wasn't misled or lied to. If he or his agent couldn't see a 2 year deal for what it was, that's on them.
D Rock
QUOTE (Zero @ May 13 2016, 11:54 AM) *
Anyone over the age of 15 should know that you don't sign a contract with assumptions. Condon and Bradford may have assumed the short deal meant an extension but apparently it didn't. That's not on Howard, that's on Condon. He blew it and now he's in full damage control.

Spot On
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ May 13 2016, 06:54 AM) *

hahahaha...I don't disagree...but I will remind you the next time you or anyone else mentions the locker room trusting the coaching staff or the FO....

I have said many times his agent should have let him go to FA. If Denver was willing to trade anything and take on his salary, which they clearly were then they were likely interested in him in FA. I do not think they would have signed him for 17 per, something I said in the past, but they would likely have given him 3-4 years. His agent failed him, no question,
Reality Fan
QUOTE (D Rock @ May 13 2016, 03:57 PM) *
He wasn't misled or lied to. If he or his agent couldn't see a 2 year deal for what it was, that's on them.

Of course not.....the Eagles just decided to piss away 22 million for shits and giggles....you see that kind of money spent on journeymen QBs everyday...oh wait....give me one example....just one....please...
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ May 13 2016, 04:12 PM) *
Of course not.....the Eagles just decided to piss away 22 million for shits and giggles....you see that kind of money spent on journeymen QBs everyday...oh wait....give me one example....just one....please...

Kirk Cousins is getting $19M this year. He's not a journeyman, but he is Kirk Cousins.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Zero @ May 13 2016, 05:54 AM) *
Anyone over the age of 15 should know that you don't sign a contract with assumptions.

I hope you aren't a lawyer - good luck with that argument next time you make an agreement with a minor. laugh.gif

As has been discussed at length, Bradford had every right to assume that after he was paid starter money, the Eagles would draft him some help - not give up 2 entire drafts for his inevitable replacement. If he wasn't paid starter money, he wouldn't have assumed this.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (The Franchise @ May 13 2016, 06:03 PM) *
I hope you aren't a lawyer - good luck with that argument next time you make an agreement with a minor. laugh.gif

As has been discussed at length, Bradford had every right to assume that after he was paid starter money, the Eagles would draft him some help - not give up 2 entire drafts for his inevitable replacement. If he wasn't paid starter money, he wouldn't have assumed this.

He was given (average) starter money, but placeholder contract length. He shouldn't have assumed anything.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 13 2016, 07:29 PM) *
He was given (average) starter money, but placeholder contract length. He shouldn't have assumed anything.

I think you meant average starter money for the starters that are the face of their franchise unless 20 of 21 of the guys in that range being the long term projected starter for their teams...

And another thing...I guess Washington is planning on going with Nate Sudfeld and Cousins should expect to be traded or let go after this year....I mean he only has the tag.....a 1 year deal...
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ May 13 2016, 10:58 PM) *
I think you meant average starter money for the starters that are the face of their franchise unless 20 of 21 of the guys in that range being the long term projected starter for their teams...

And another thing...I guess Washington is planning on going with Nate Sudfeld and Cousins should expect to be traded or let go after this year....I mean he only has the tag.....a 1 year deal...

I don't know what Washington is going to do, but I wouldn't be shocked if they drafted a first round QB next year if there is a guy they really like available.

Not because they have Kirk Cousins on their roster.

But it's average starter money regardless of how you slice it. I'm not here to put caveats on it. The "face of franchise" guys you're referring to aren't on glorified one year deals.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 14 2016, 12:24 AM) *
I don't know what Washington is going to do, but I wouldn't be shocked if they drafted a first round QB next year if there is a guy they really like available.

Not because they have Kirk Cousins on their roster.

But it's average starter money regardless of how you slice it. I'm not here to put caveats on it. The "face of franchise" guys you're referring to aren't on glorified one year deals.

I know your not going to "put caveats" on it...lol Just try the facts.....they are much more reliable and they say you are wrong....I know it hurts but it is what it is.

You can ignore them if it helps you.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ May 14 2016, 08:57 AM) *
I know your not going to "put caveats" on it...lol Just try the facts.....they are much more reliable and they say you are wrong....I know it hurts but it is what it is.

You can ignore them if it helps you.

How many of those guys signed one or two year deals? Provide that fact.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 14 2016, 10:28 AM) *
How many of those guys signed one or two year deals? Provide that fact.

Hahahaha...your not very good at this...

I agree,,,,,most are signed to long term contracts.....now the question is now many guys on 1-2 year contracts get 17.5 per?

Whats that? I can't hear you? It is called zero... Only one QB is on a tag and he is only there because? He wants 20 per for 4 years...

But thank you for beginning to understand
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ May 14 2016, 09:46 AM) *
Hahahaha...your not very good at this...

I agree,,,,,most are signed to long term contracts.....now the question is now many guys on 1-2 year contracts get 17.5 per?

Whats that? I can't hear you? It is called zero... Only one QB is on a tag and he is only there because? He wants 20 per for 4 years...

But thank you for beginning to understand

No. You clearly don't get. They essentially franchised Bradford and paid an extra $3M so they would have the rights to trade him next off season. Or, had they not acquired someone else, paid him to play next season.

It's the going rate for the type of QB he is. See: Cousins/Osweiller.

They found themselves in the previously unforeseen situation where they could acquire his replacement and the pounced on it.

If they were committed to Bradford beyond this year, they would have committed to Bradford beyond this year. That is reality.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 14 2016, 11:05 AM) *
No. You clearly don't get. They essentially franchised Bradford and paid an extra $3M so they would have the rights to trade him next off season. Or, had they not acquired someone else, paid him to play next season.

It's the going rate for the type of QB he is. See: Cousins/Osweiller.

They found themselves in the previously unforeseen situation where they could acquire his replacement and the pounced on it.

If they were committed to Bradford beyond this year, they would have committed to Bradford beyond this year. That is reality.

So now Osweiler, who got 37 million guaranteed in his first 2 years is on a "prove it" contract? Cousins, as I mentioned earlier, is looking for a long term contract and the Skins want one as well....he wants 20 per and they want to pay him less and the negotiations are ongoing and you see that as the same? I guess you can move the goal posts as much as you want to try to make your point....I mean, even if one were to agree to that silliness you would be up to 4 out of 21 QBs.

You don't pay a guy that much without at least thinking he may be the guy, it simply makes no sense.

Where we differ is the Previously unforeseen part. Howie said that they made the deal to move up to 8 at the combine, a week before they signed Bradford. One would think the wheels began to turn at that point.
mcnabbulous
He was their fallback plan. If they couldn't get someone else. Turns out they got someone else.

If the Browns decided Wentz was their guy, Bradford would be ours.

That's the contract they signed him to. You saw it as a "prove it" contract. They saw it as a contingency contract.
mcnabbulous
What does this guy know about NFL contracts:
https://twitter.com/joebanner13/status/731519084446257152
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 14 2016, 12:24 PM) *
What does this guy know about NFL contracts:
https://twitter.com/joebanner13/status/731519084446257152

lol Idiot...he is talking about the average yearly for the franchise QBs, you know...long term starters.......lol you are too damn funny...

The actual average salary of QBs in the NFL is like 3.4 million...do you want to use that too?

Fuck your desperate...hahahahaha
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ May 14 2016, 01:42 PM) *
lol Idiot...he is talking about the average yearly for the franchise QBs, you know...long term starters.......lol you are too damn funny...

The actual average salary of QBs in the NFL is like 3.4 million...do you want to use that too?

Fuck your desperate...hahahahaha

No he's saying average starting QBs now make $18M so Luck should make much more. I'm not sure if youre calling me an idiot, but it's not a good look on you here. Because you're very wrong.

I'm sorry that you clearly misinterpreted that, but that is exactly what he means. The going rate on average starting QBs is now $18M. The high end guys, with new contracts, will be making much more.

Bradford is an average starting QB and paid accordingly.
Phits
nephillymike
john beinlich ‏@jb1027 3h3 hours ago
@JoeBanner13 @spotrac below avg QBs like Bradford are getting 18 too

this^^^

He has the unmitigated gall to call Sam below average!!

All ball busting aside, I hope Sammy Sleeves improves this year and we make a playoff run.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 14 2016, 03:19 PM) *
No he's saying average starting QBs now make $18M so Luck should make much more. I'm not sure if youre calling me an idiot, but it's not a good look on you here. Because you're very wrong.

I'm sorry that you clearly misinterpreted that, but that is exactly what he means. The going rate on average starting QBs is now $18M. The high end guys, with new contracts, will be making much more.

Bradford is an average starting QB and paid accordingly.

Look...I get it...you now want to back away from what we discussed....I told you he was paid like the franchise QBs of the league. I proved it with the numbers and names. You argued about it like a child but I clearly presented that he was paid like the those on the list of 21 who were their teams long term starters. ARe you saying that is not true? Please do and I will print the list here and make you look foolish. We both know I am right on it. I have no problems doing it. It is easy as hell to find on Spotrac. Now if you want to talk average starter money we can average in all the starters and make you look foolish there. I appreciate how you stray from the crux of the debate. I said he was paid in the same range as the guys who are the long term starters for their teams, there are 21 guys in that range and Kaep is the only guy who may not be. Do you refute that too?

Please...I beg you...I will gladly provide the list and the terms.....I have time before I go out to dinner....

now Phits can drop the mic...I always figured him for a facebook/twitter/swipe right kind of guy...

In fact...here you go:
Joe Flacco Ravens$66,400,000.00 $22,133,333.00 $44,000,000.00 $14,666,667.00 2022 UFA
Aaron Rodgers Packers $110,000,000.00 $22,000,000.00 $54,000,000.00 $10,800,000.00 2020 UFA
Russell Wilson Seahawks $87,600,000.00 $21,900,000.00 $31,700,000.00 $7,925,000.00 2020 UFA
Ben Roethlisberger Steelers $87,400,000.00 $21,850,000.00$34,250,000.0 $8,562,500.00 2020 UFA
Eli Manning Giants $84,000,000.00 $21,000,000.00 $36,500,000.00 $9,125,000.00 2020 UFA
Philip Rivers Chargers $83,250,000.00 $20,812,500.00 $37,500,000.00 $9,375,000.00 2020 UFA
Cam Newton Panthers $103,800,000.00 $20,760,000.00 $41,000,000.00 $8,200,000.00 2021 UFA
Matt Ryan Falcons $103,750,000.00 $20,750,000.00 $42,000,000.00 $8,400,000.00 2019 UFA
Tom Brady Patriots $41,000,000.00 $20,500,000.00 $28,000,000.00 $14,000,000.00 2020 UFA
Drew Brees Saints $100,000,000.00 $20,000,000.00 $40,000,000.00 $8,000,000.00 2017 UFA
Kirk Cousins Redskins $19,953,000.00 $19,953,000.00 $19,953,000.00$19,953,000.00 2017 UFA
Ryan Tannehill Dolphins $77,000,000.00 $19,250,000.00 $21,500,000.00 $5,375,000.00 2021 UFA
Colin Kaepernick 49ers $114,000,000.00 $19,000,000.00 $12,973,766.00$2,162,294.00 2021 UFA
Jay Cutler Bears$126,700,000.00 $18,100,000.00 $38,000,000.00 $5,428,571.00 2021 UFA
Brock Osweiler Texans $72,000,000.00 $18,000,000.00 $37,000,000.00 $9,250,000.00 2020 UFA
Tony Romo Cowboys $108,000,000.00 $18,000,000.00 $40,000,000.00 $6,666,666.00 2020 UFA
Matt Stafford Lions $53,000,000.00 $17,666,667.00 $33,500,000.00 $11,166,667.00 2018 UFA
Sam Bradford Eagles$35,000,000.00 $17,500,000.00 $22,000,000.00 $11,000,000.00 2018 UFA
Alex Smith Chiefs $68,000,000.00 $17,000,000.00 $19,000,000.00 $4,750,000.00 2019 UFA
Carson Palmer Cardinals $49,500,000.00 $16,500,000.00 $14,235,294.00 $4,745,098.00 2018 Void
Andy Dalton Bengals $96,000,000.00 $16,000,000.00 $17,000,000.00 $2,833,333.00 2021 UFA

Now tell me again how every guy but Kaepernick is not their team's long term starter....that is the range of money they paid Bradford....the average salary of a long term, franchise QB......not some guy you keep for a year.

Phits
In order to retain Bradford, the Eagles had to pony up some money to at least make Bradford in line with the average rate for a starter...not the median for all starting QB's in the league.

What does it matter if his annual salary is in line with long term starters? The contract he signed was only for 2 years. Basically, it's the equivalent of franchising him instead they saved a couple of bucks by making the 2nd year a team option. A two year deal one year structure.

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ May 14 2016, 05:09 PM) *
Look...I get it...you now want to back away from what we discussed....I told you he was paid like the franchise QBs of the league. I proved it with the numbers and names. You argued about it like a child but I clearly presented that he was paid like the those on the list of 21 who were their teams long term starters. ARe you saying that is not true? Please do and I will print the list here and make you look foolish. We both know I am right on it. I have no problems doing it. It is easy as hell to find on Spotrac. Now if you want to talk average starter money we can average in all the starters and make you look foolish there. I appreciate how you stray from the crux of the debate. I said he was paid in the same range as the guys who are the long term starters for their teams, there are 21 guys in that range and Kaep is the only guy who may not be. Do you refute that too?

Please...I beg you...I will gladly provide the list and the terms.....I have time before I go out to dinner....

now Phits can drop the mic...I always figured him for a facebook/twitter/swipe right kind of guy...

In fact...here you go:
Joe Flacco Ravens$66,400,000.00 $22,133,333.00 $44,000,000.00 $14,666,667.00 2022 UFA
Aaron Rodgers Packers $110,000,000.00 $22,000,000.00 $54,000,000.00 $10,800,000.00 2020 UFA
Russell Wilson Seahawks $87,600,000.00 $21,900,000.00 $31,700,000.00 $7,925,000.00 2020 UFA
Ben Roethlisberger Steelers $87,400,000.00 $21,850,000.00$34,250,000.0 $8,562,500.00 2020 UFA
Eli Manning Giants $84,000,000.00 $21,000,000.00 $36,500,000.00 $9,125,000.00 2020 UFA
Philip Rivers Chargers $83,250,000.00 $20,812,500.00 $37,500,000.00 $9,375,000.00 2020 UFA
Cam Newton Panthers $103,800,000.00 $20,760,000.00 $41,000,000.00 $8,200,000.00 2021 UFA
Matt Ryan Falcons $103,750,000.00 $20,750,000.00 $42,000,000.00 $8,400,000.00 2019 UFA
Tom Brady Patriots $41,000,000.00 $20,500,000.00 $28,000,000.00 $14,000,000.00 2020 UFA
Drew Brees Saints $100,000,000.00 $20,000,000.00 $40,000,000.00 $8,000,000.00 2017 UFA
Kirk Cousins Redskins $19,953,000.00 $19,953,000.00 $19,953,000.00$19,953,000.00 2017 UFA
Ryan Tannehill Dolphins $77,000,000.00 $19,250,000.00 $21,500,000.00 $5,375,000.00 2021 UFA
Colin Kaepernick 49ers $114,000,000.00 $19,000,000.00 $12,973,766.00$2,162,294.00 2021 UFA
Jay Cutler Bears$126,700,000.00 $18,100,000.00 $38,000,000.00 $5,428,571.00 2021 UFA
Brock Osweiler Texans $72,000,000.00 $18,000,000.00 $37,000,000.00 $9,250,000.00 2020 UFA
Tony Romo Cowboys $108,000,000.00 $18,000,000.00 $40,000,000.00 $6,666,666.00 2020 UFA
Matt Stafford Lions $53,000,000.00 $17,666,667.00 $33,500,000.00 $11,166,667.00 2018 UFA
Sam Bradford Eagles$35,000,000.00 $17,500,000.00 $22,000,000.00 $11,000,000.00 2018 UFA
Alex Smith Chiefs $68,000,000.00 $17,000,000.00 $19,000,000.00 $4,750,000.00 2019 UFA
Carson Palmer Cardinals $49,500,000.00 $16,500,000.00 $14,235,294.00 $4,745,098.00 2018 Void
Andy Dalton Bengals $96,000,000.00 $16,000,000.00 $17,000,000.00 $2,833,333.00 2021 UFA

Now tell me again how every guy but Kaepernick is not their team's long term starter....that is the range of money they paid Bradford....the average salary of a long term, franchise QB......not some guy you keep for a year.

Reality Fan
Why retain a guy at the rate you pay long term starters? Why franchise him....you don't franchise guys that you don't plan to keep....the Skins franchised Cousins so they sould continue to negotiate a long term deal.

I don't have any problem if someone thinks he stinks.....where I lose my mind is when that same person thinks he stinks but thinks it is a good move to pay him 22 million for 1 year of service. Money that could have been paid to Cox. Don't tell me they invested money wisely at the QB position but that Bradford stinks (he may, I don't know yet). That is hypocritical.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ May 15 2016, 01:13 AM) *
Why retain a guy at the rate you pay long term starters? Why franchise him....you don't franchise guys that you don't plan to keep....the Skins franchised Cousins so they sould continue to negotiate a long term deal.

I don't have any problem if someone thinks he stinks.....where I lose my mind is when that same person thinks he stinks but thinks it is a good move to pay him 22 million for 1 year of service. Money that could have been paid to Cox. Don't tell me they invested money wisely at the QB position but that Bradford stinks (he may, I don't know yet). That is hypocritical.

I agree they misspent their money.

#1 - they should have paid Bradford $36M over two years! sad.gif
#2 - they should have kept Sanchez and passed on Daniels.

Proof that Howie pays too much money - Chase Daniel. Do you really think anyone else was close to what we paid Daniel?

Methinks Sam wasn't the only QB who we bid against ourselves.
nephillymike
BTW RF,

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/sam-bradford/

On our discussion regarding Sam's guarantee at the bar last week.

He has $18M guaranteed this year. Not the $22M

The additional $4M does not become guaranteed until March 2017!

I will allow the mistake given that you had your hands full with the lady who was doing my arguing for me!! tongue.gif
mcnabbulous
They paid him like Jay Cutler. He's paid like an average player who has started at his position for several years. That's the going rate.

For the life of me, I don't know why you think salary is more important than contract length when it comes to defining long term interest. When only one of those factors has anything to do with length of time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.