Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jeff Lurie's 22 years of ownership
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
I have my own points system when rating NFL franchises, that is based upon a 32 year cycle as to what each team should do based on the odds, and I can compare our actual results to that expected by the odds.

For example, in a 32 year period, with 32 teams, each team should win the SB once, get to the SB twice, get to the conf championship four times, make the playoffs 12 times, miss the playoffs twenty times etc.

My neutral point value scale which should add up to zero for an average team is as follows:

Win Super Bowl = 32 points
Lose Super Bowl = 16 points
Lose in Conf Championship = 8 points
Lose in Divisional Round = 5.33 points
Lose in Wild Card Round = 2.67 points
Miss the playoffs = (4.80) points.

For the 22 years of Jeffrey's tenure, 1994-2015, the Eagles combined score is 26.67, pretty darn good.

37.5% (12/32) of the teams make the playoffs every year. In a 22 year period, we should have 8.25 playoff appearances and a total point score of 0. Jeff's team has made the playoffs 12 times, or 54.5% of the time, roughly four more times than the expected average. To get to the 26.67 points above average, our teams have made it to the conf championship 3 more times than expected (24 points) and made the wildcard game 1 more time than expected (2.67 points).

So while we have not been one of the thirteen franchises to taste the sweet drink of a championship, his teams have been very successful overall, culminating with being one of the twenty one who made it to the Super Bowl.

On the field, we've done pretty well. My guess is that we're top eight in the league over his tenure. If I get a chance one of these days, I'll do it for every team in the league. A quick glance has us behind NE, DEN, BAL, GB, PIT, IND and maybe NYG.

As far as other things a franchise can be evaluated on, he gets high marks on community work, facilities, treatment of players. They do a fabulous job in the community.

I think while stable, his leadership has failed in some instances. He's read the salary cap tea leaves wrong in two instances which cost us opportunities, he hasn't provided the leadership necessary to avoid a front office fraught with infighting and back stabbing and despite our successes, the front office is thought of as dis functional. That buck stops at the top.

Overall, he has been the best owner we've had in this city during that period in a city where it is tough to be one. His team has faced more attention and criticism than the other three franchises combined.

He is a very nice guy and treats people well and for his faults, you young guys are spoiled to have him and not have to put up with the likes of his predecessors.

It would be great to see him and us, put the icing on the cake with a Super Bowl victory in the near future.
Joegrane
We are quite fortunate to have Mr. Lurie in Philly. They guy really steped up this offseason to save a sinking ship.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 8 2016, 10:17 PM) *
So while we have not been one of the thirteen franchises to taste the sweet drink of a championship, his teams have been very successful overall, culminating with being one of the twenty one who made it to the Super Bowl.

It would be great to see him and us, put the icing on the cake with a Super Bowl victory in the near future.
Zero
Unless you're from Philadelphia it's hard to complain about Lurie. wink.gif I like your evaluation: he's done well but there's plenty of room for improvement.

I'd add that he apparently agrees with that, witnessed by what I think is an uncharacteristic self-insertion into football matters last year. He realized he had made a monumental mistake with Kelly and used his position and authority to help get the team back on track. It appears that he's continued that this year by joining the personnel team on the QB hunt and ostensibly either approving or driving the Wentz move.

The next thing he absolutely has to do is make sure that there is a top personnel evaluator here and that he not only has the power to do his job, but will attract and mentor more talented evaluators. This is the move that will define the franchise for the next decade +.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ May 9 2016, 05:44 AM) *
The next thing he absolutely has to do is make sure that there is a top personnel evaluator here and that he not only has the power to do his job, but will attract and mentor more talented evaluators. This is the move that will define the franchise for the next decade +.

Agree!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.