Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Howard R, Part Deux
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
I have to admit, I don't like Howie. Not so much the Eagles Executive VP of Football Operations, the name ... "Howie." "Howie" is the kid the bullies pushed into his locker and gave him wedgies. That's the guy we see most often from Eagle fans, and not without cause. Howie has too often shown himself to be the grown up, vengeful version of the in-locker wedgie kid. A student of Machiavelli, a geek desperate to prove himself superior to the jocks. A nerd who fails to understand his limitations. The guy who gave us a Canadian fireman to protect a QB. I don't like that guy in addition to the name.

Maybe Howie has returned from Elba, and St Helena doesn't exist. His return has been marked by some fairly impressive moves followed the controversial move to acquire a franchise QB burdened with questions and a K-Mart draft reportedly short on value. But the angst after the glee is a product of doubt not fact.

Yeah, I'm an optimist, but we've seen too many sure things fail and too many nobody's excel to bother our stomachs with the acid of anticipated demise. I know we're programmed for it, but it helps to have some alkaline added to our diet. Balance the "uh-oh" with some "yeah" we get "hmmm, maybe ..." That's where I am with Howard R, Part Deux.

Ertz, Celek, Johnson, Curry. The Trade, Part I. Resigning Bradford. Brandon Brooks. McLeod, Daniel, Carroll, Randle, Wisniewski. Talent retained, garbage out, holes filled. The Trade, Part II. This is a plan. Most of it makes sense the rest needs time to know if it works.

I'm hoping he's learned and grown. I want to see who they hire to advise them on talent. I'm excited to see what happens with Wentz and if some of the "meh" picks can actually play. Howard put the team in a position to counter some recent mistakes and took a chance to set them up for the next decade. In context of the next two years the price was high, but looking at it over a ten year time span, not so much.

If you like reflux and giving wedgies, enjoy. I'm watching Howard and his work and I'm willing to give them both time to evolve.
Reality Fan
Many of his moves to date have been nothing more than counter chip moves. I liked McLeod and Brooks signings.

Many here whined about them not getting a personnel guy and now it is obvious why they did not....Howie wanted this to be his draft.....his QB......

Looking over his offseason moves he was competent.....He did pay Curry a lot of money....that may be interesting going forward. Ertz and Johnson were no-brainers.

Mikey was worried about the draft and Howie did not disappoint but I don't think it was for lack of preparation, I think it was Howie being Howie.....How many Watkins or Smith's does he have to take before we see him for what he is....a guy desparate to hit on a guy no one else thought was good.....he is like a degenerate gambler...

This is going to get much worse before it gets better
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ May 4 2016, 11:25 AM) *
Many of his moves to date have been nothing more than counter chip moves. I liked McLeod and Brooks signings.

Many here whined about them not getting a personnel guy and now it is obvious why they did not....Howie wanted this to be his draft.....his QB......

Looking over his offseason moves he was competent.....He did pay Curry a lot of money....that may be interesting going forward. Ertz and Johnson were no-brainers.

Mikey was worried about the draft and Howie did not disappoint but I don't think it was for lack of preparation, I think it was Howie being Howie.....How many Watkins or Smith's does he have to take before we see him for what he is....a guy desparate to hit on a guy no one else thought was good.....he is like a degenerate gambler...

This is going to get much worse before it gets better

I'm glad I don't share your view. I'll wait until it's bad before I do the Ben dive, I don't see the benefit in doing it now.
mcnabbulous
Well, all the rumors suggest we are hiring Joe Douglas, from the Bears, as our top personnel guy. He's pretty highly thought of and I doubt he would take the job if he didn't have pretty significant say in personnel moves.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2016/5/...lphia-nfl-draft

He comes from the Ravens family tree.
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 4 2016, 12:38 PM) *
Well, all the rumors suggest we are hiring Joe Douglas, from the Bears, as our top personnel guy. He's pretty highly thought of and I doubt he would take the job if he didn't have pretty significant say in personnel moves.

He comes from the Ravens family tree.

He's supposed to interview today, and most info out there is positive, especially that he's not one who needs the spotlight.
An NFL observer who knows Douglas well called him "a worker bee" Wednesday - a well-regarded scout who keeps a low public profile, and wouldn't mind reporting to Roseman, the former general manager restored to power by team chairman Jeffrey Lurie at the end of the 2015 season.
Linc ...
nephillymike
Howie did many things this year, that he normally does well.

He made trades, moved up to #2, got rid of some salary.

And then he did what Howie does. He picked questionable talent at those spots he had. I think he failed during the draft of doing what Howie does. He didn't drop down in obvious trade down spots to get us more lottery tickets. We needed Howie to be Howie there. He wasn't. So instead of having this feared stiff and a few more picks, we have the feared stiffs.

But, if the stiffs can play, then he will be redeemed.

If our 3rd was really the low 4th/ high 5th he was projected to be
and if our two 5th's are really the mid to low 6th projected
and our 6th is really an UDFA talent
even if our mid 7th is a mid 3rd projected
Howie's draft success odds have decreased significantly for the reaches.
In a year with no 2nd and one upcoming with no 1st, this will hurt the franchise at a time of vulnerability.

We got to hope that the majority of the people who rate these draftees were wrong, very wrong.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.