Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: W Smallwood RB Rnd 5
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Joegrane
Looks like a 3rd down back with more quickness than power. Some like his hands.

He is not a Chip K guy. He was in some fairly serious legal trouble.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players...ndell-smallwood

Walter had him at #18 RB

http://walterfootball.com/draft2016RB.php

Wendell Smallwood*, RB, West Virginia
Height: 5-10. Weight: 208. Hand: 9.25.
40 Time: 4.47.
Projected Round (2016): 5-7.
4/26/16: Smallwood looks like an undersized back who exploded for a big junior year. In 2015, he averaged 6.4 yards per carry for 1,519 yards with nine touchdowns. The junior also caught 26 passes for 160 yards. Smallwood had a lot less production as a sophomore (722 yards) and freshman (221 yards). He should have returned for his senior year.
mcnabbulous
I like this stat:
Wendell Smallwood was tied for the NCAA lead in 10+ yard rushes last season with 59. The two other players with 59? D. Henry, L. Fournette

https://twitter.com/zberm/status/726582286779559936
Joegrane
Since Smallwood will likely be the only 2016 pick who will get significant playing time this year, I took some time to watch a few of the youtube videos of his performances in 2015. I skipped the "highlight" videos. They are mostly worthless for evaluating anything other than cool-factor during end zone celebrations. This is an example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf-F8F9fDXQ

The following are my thoughts:

As a runner he mostly takes what his O Line gives him.

I don't think I ever saw him break a tackle due to strength; however he occasionally spins out of a tackle by a DB.

He is not shifty or the type to frequently make people miss.

He does not dance like Shady and take losses by cutting back into a crowd.

He has poor lower body strength. Time and time again he is tackled easily.

Once he gets into the open field or wide, he sets up his blockers. He should be okay in the screen game. He did not seem to make bad decisions when following blockers in the open field.

I don't know if I saw even one bad drop but they did not throw to him often.

He sometimes was split out wide but they did not throw to him often from that formation.

He seems to be a willing blocker on pass plays but I can't imagine he'll have the leg strength to effectively take on blitzing NFL LBs.

He certainly will not make anyone forget Shady or B West, but they are almost unfair comparisons.

His good 40 time of 4.47 was not obvious to me in the videos.

A couple of times Smallwood did not help his QB much when the QB was scrambling and looking for an option; however, that is probably coachable.

His performance reflects the stats in his spiderweb--very poor strength but good speed.
http://www.mockdraftable.com/player/5772/

Overall, he definitely needs to be stronger in the lower body. I have no idea if his frame will handle that.

Smallwood seems to have a little more straight-line speed than K Barner for stretching the D horizontally. Barner's hands did not impress me in terms of reliability. However Barner seems to be shiftier and stronger.
Barner's spiderweb seems to reflect that.
http://www.mockdraftable.com/player/4018/

I am less excited about Smallwood after watching the videos than before. He clearly looks like no more than a 3rd down back. He doesn't appear to be a punt returner due to lack of ability to make people miss. If he develops more lower body strength, maybe he could be a kickoff return man.

QUOTE (Joegrane @ Apr 30 2016, 03:17 PM) *
Looks like a 3rd down back with more quickness than power. Some like his hands.

He is not a Chip K guy. He was in some fairly serious legal trouble.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players...ndell-smallwood

Walter had him at #18 RB

http://walterfootball.com/draft2016RB.php

Wendell Smallwood*, RB, West Virginia
Height: 5-10. Weight: 208. Hand: 9.25.
40 Time: 4.47.
Projected Round (2016): 5-7.
4/26/16: Smallwood looks like an undersized back who exploded for a big junior year. In 2015, he averaged 6.4 yards per carry for 1,519 yards with nine touchdowns. The junior also caught 26 passes for 160 yards. Smallwood had a lot less production as a sophomore (722 yards) and freshman (221 yards). He should have returned for his senior year.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Apr 30 2016, 09:34 PM) *
Since Smallwood will likely be the only 2016 pick who will get significant action this year, I took some time to watch a few of the youtube videos of his performances this year. I skipped the "highlight" videos. They are mostly worthless for evaluating talent--other than cool-factor during end zone celebrations. This is an example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf-F8F9fDXQ

The following are my thoughts:

As a runner he mostly takes what his O Line gives him.

I don't think I ever saw him break a tackle due to strength; however he occasionally spins out of a tackle by a DB.

He is not shifty or the type to frequently make people miss.

He does not dance like Shady and take losses by cutting back into a crowd.

He has poor lower body strength. Time and time again he is tackled easily.

Once he gets into the open field or wide, he sets up his blockers. He should be okay in the screen game. He did not seem to make bad decisions when following blockers in the open field.

I don't know if I saw even one bad drop but they did not throw to him often.

He sometimes was split out wide but they did not throw to him often from that formation.

He seems to be a willing blocker on pass plays but I can't imagine he'll have the leg strength to effectively take on blitzing NFL LBs.

He certainly will not make anyone forget Shady or B West, but they are almost unfair comparisons.

His good 40 time of 4.47 was not obvious to me in the videos.

A couple of times Smallwood did not help his QB much when the QB was scrambling and looking for an option; however, that is probably coachable.

His performance reflects the stats in his spiderweb--very poor strength but good speed.
http://www.mockdraftable.com/player/5772/

Overall, he definitely needs to be stronger in the lower body. I have no idea if his frame will handle that.

Smallwood seems to have a little more straight-line speed than K Barner for stretching the D horizontally. Barner's hands did not impress me in terms of reliability. However Barner seems to be shiftier and stronger.
Barner's spiderweb seems to reflect that.
http://www.mockdraftable.com/player/4018/

I am less excited about Smallwood after watching the videos than before. He clearly looks like no more than a 3rd down back. He doesn't appear to be a punt returner due to lack of ability to make people miss. If he develops more lower body strength, maybe he could be a kickoff return man.

Thanks for the info.

Not high on his potential.

We better bring in a whole bunch of UDFA RB's, or maybe sign Polk in FA.
mcnabbulous
Definitely good info. I don't have an opinion on his game, but he has nice production. I read he's not gonna break many tackles.
Zero
PFF Draft
‏@PFF_College
Wendell Smallwood gained 5+ yards before contact on 27% of his carries, the highest percentage in the draft class.
Joegrane
That is is not inconsistent with what I saw. He was taking what his O Line was giving him and helping them by setting up his blockers. However he was not getting much after contact. When ouside or in the open he could make a spin move on a DB or use his blockers well.
GroundedBird
I think he's serviceable, I think we'll still need another back next year.
Joegrane
I hear you but what if Matthews stops pretending he is a TE and doesn't try to take the head off of every DB that tries to tackle him? He just might stay healthy enough to be a solid feature back.

I don't like Matthews' hands, but his combination of power and speed to get around the edge is attractive. He was once a ProBowl RB.

That's what makes the Smallwood pick understandable. He's a true 3rd down back with reliable hands, good straight line speed to spread the D, and ability to work with his blockers in the screen game.

By drafting the 3rd down back this year, they get another year to evaluate Matthews. If Matthews is okay, they might use their 2017 2nd rounder on the future R OT instead of future feature RB.

They still have to resolve the issue of FB.

Don't the numbers suggest that we will end up with one fewer Duck on the roster by the end of preseason roster cut-down?

QUOTE (GroundedBird @ May 1 2016, 11:01 AM) *
I think he's serviceable, I think we'll still need another back next year.
mcnabbulous
Next year's RB class is going to be loaded
Joegrane
But the Eagles may not have the pick to use on a true feature RB.

Sproles' contract is up this year.

Maybe next year will be a good time to look long-term for a feature RB; however R OT might be the priority if Matthews performs okay or better.

Matthews is signed through 2017 when he'll be 29 yrs old. There's a 1 mil cap hit if he is released in 2017. His salary seems to be $5mil that year.

QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 1 2016, 11:17 PM) *
Next year's RB class is going to be loaded
Zero
Mathews, Smallwood and 2017 rookie could make a pretty nice RB corps.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ May 2 2016, 06:46 AM) *

ahhhh...there is that fresh Monday morning blind optimism.....

Don't forget that 6th round stud tackle they will hit on nest year...lol
mcnabbulous
We drafted a ROT of the future this year.
Joegrane
I assume you mean a RB taken in the 2nd or 3rd round. What is Peters' health does not hold up? They'll likely need the 2nd rounder for a R OT.
QUOTE (Zero @ May 2 2016, 06:46 AM) *

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Joegrane @ May 2 2016, 09:15 AM) *
I assume you mean a RB taken in the 2nd or 3rd round. What is Peters' health does not hold up? They'll likely need the 2nd rounder for a R OT.

I really don't think that will be the plan. I assume we'll be signing a veteran with the hopes that Vaitai is able to be the long-term solution.

I can't imagine us rolling with a rookie second rounder.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 2 2016, 09:10 AM) *

Who Hakoona Matata?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 2 2016, 08:59 PM) *
Who Hakoona Matata?

Yep
Joegrane
Someone, maybe you or Mike presented the % of good QB taken in Rd 1, Rd 2, etc. I'd like to see some similar numbers for good or better right OTs.

I can't imagine that there are many of them who were drafted in the top half of round 1 and can't imagine that many were drafted on day 3.

Occasionally a team finds a starter on day three but it seems crazy for someone to assume that any day three pick will be more than a role player.

King Dunlap was a 7th rounder of the Eagles who after five years in the league became a starter in San Diego. He got a nice 4 year 28mil$ deal.

Kelce, T Herremans, Runyan and Celek were or are day three starters. So I realize that third-day picks can develop over time.

However when you see much higher picks such as S Andrews and Winston Justice flame out I'm not going to count on a day three pick at an important position.

QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ May 2 2016, 10:10 AM) *

mcnabbulous
Early picks often get PT and stick in the league longer simply on the merits of their draft position alone (see: Sam Bradford).

I don't know the numbers, but OL are routinely found later in the draft. Especially positions other than LT.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.