Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Major Reach
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
#136 at #79.

Seumalo OG Oregon State.

Wow.

RANK RANGE 82-203

Good night all.

See yuz tomorrow.
mcnabbulous
Booooooo

smile.gif
Dreagon
I don't know, I think an interior offensive lineman is a pretty good selection for you guys.
mcnabbulous
Just saw some highlights. Looks pretty athletic. I've changed my opinion to "one thumb up"
Joegrane
Considered quite versatile. Some say Center is his best position but played Guard and Tackle as well. Doesn't project as an NFL OT.

Missed all of 2014 with foot injury.

Appears to be quality O Line depth for this year, may develop into long term OC or OG.

I wonder if Kelce does not fit the type of OC Peterson likes to work with.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 29 2016, 10:25 PM) *
#136 at #79.

Seumalo OG Oregon State.

RANK RANGE 82-203.

Eyrie
It could be a question of him being a better fit for our scheme than someone who has a better overall grade, or it could be that they want cover for Kelce in addition to Wizniewski.

Regardless, I'm happy with the OL for now but will be demanding we find another T next year.
Zero
Reading this and knowing their need for OL talent and Howie's penchant for moving around in the draft, it sounds like they wanted this guy and tried to move back but couldn't make a deal where they would still get him.
The Eagles were considering moving back in the draft, but based off communication with people around the league, Roseman sensed Seumalo would be taken soon so they stayed put. If he was no longer on the board at 79, Roseman indicated they may have traded out to get more picks.

“We prioritized the offensive line. It was a priority all offseason for us,” said Roseman. “We also didn’t want to go in limiting to, we have to get a tackle, we have to get a guard. So it came down to the board, who is the best player on our board, and it happened to be an offensive lineman which made us happy. And it happened to be a guy like Isaac who can play all these positions but is going to start out on the inside.”
Sometimes "value" can be overrated. I'm not unhappy with this pick.
Zero
Pro Football Focus gave Seumalo its second-highest grade for pass protection among guards in this year’s draft. Seumalo is solid in both facets of the game. He is not considered a dominant, “road grader” type of blocker, but he is disciplined and gets the job done.
Linc ...
Reality Fan
If I am Kelce I am now very worried......that is the 2nd center they brought in
Zero
Wonder if he'll demand a trade. rolleyes.gif
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 30 2016, 08:30 AM) *

Can't, unlike Sam he needs the money....lol blah.gif
Joegrane
That sounds reasonable.

Is mid 2nd round typically a good place to pick up an average R OT?

We've previously discussed that it is a good place to pick a starting RB.

I was expecting them to pick one of the many available RBs in the 3rd round. Few RBs had gone off the board.

Perkins, the shifty UCLA change-of-pace RB might have reminded us somewhat of Shady. Some have him rated as a mid-round pick.

Prosise from ND has both good size and is considered a good receiver.

Ferguson from Illinois is smaller but has good speed and is a good receiver.

I think we will see them pick someone who is a good receiver and punt returner, possibly as the eventual replacement for Sproles.

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Apr 30 2016, 04:03 AM) *
It could be a question of him being a better fit for our scheme than someone who has a better overall grade, or it could be that they want cover for Kelce in addition to Wizniewski.

Regardless, I'm happy with the OL for now but will be demanding we find another T next year.
mcnabbulous
I thought Prosise got picked. Seattle maybe.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 30 2016, 05:37 AM) *
Reading this and knowing their need for OL talent and Howie's penchant for moving around in the draft, it sounds like they wanted this guy and tried to move back but couldn't make a deal where they would still get him.
Sometimes "value" can be overrated. I'm not unhappy with this pick.

If this was the guy they wanted and that is what they sensed than so be it. I can't imagine other people wanting to over draft him too, but who knows.

You know that I have followed this stuff for a long long time.

I will say that 90% of the reaches that are over a round of reach in them, end up as disappointment and not worthy of the round they were picked in.

Maybe this will be different. We'll see.

Seems to me that they were locked in on an OL which is unfortunate, given that there were plenty of worthy 3rd round picks there for the taking; RB's DB's WR's. So if they traded down and got a low 4th in return and maybe the OG goes elsewhere , then they get another worthy player and another lottery ticket, it's not the end of the world.

Anytime I hear the "other teams were ready to draft him" I think back to when Rhodes drafted Jon Harris is the 1st round and there was talk that GB was ready to draft him if they didn't take him. Weeks later it was confirmed that yes they did in fact have interest in drafting him, IN THE 4TH ROUND!!

As first blush, Howie the drafter disappointed with this pick. He oculd have moved back and got a better player and another shot on another.

We'll see how we do in the other rounds.
mcnabbulous
PFF (if you're into that sort of thing) rated him extremely highly.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 30 2016, 07:30 AM) *

My thought exactly!!
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 30 2016, 10:03 AM) *
PFF (if you're into that sort of thing) rated him extremely highly.

Yes, I do like their stuff.

Z referenced it and I just read it and it gives me some hope. I'd prefer to have hope with him in the 4th and another 4th as trade down haul!!
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 30 2016, 10:36 AM) *
Yes, I do like their stuff.

Z referenced it and I just read it and it gives me some hope. I'd prefer to have hope with him in the 4th and another 4th as trade down haul!!

I actually think their stuff is garbage, but at least it's a reference point.
D Rock
Yeah, I don't get the angst here, Mikey. Some sources have him rated as high as 2nd guard overall.

Watch the tape of him DESTROYING the Defensive End from Oregon that Chippa took in the top 10 of round 1.

The only reason he was available here is because of the injury questions surrounding his foot, but he played all of 2015 post the injury.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Apr 30 2016, 10:44 AM) *
Yeah, I don't get the angst here, Mikey. Some sources have him rated as high as 2nd guard overall.

Watch the tape of him DESTROYING the Defensive End from Oregon that Chippa took in the top 10 of round 1.

The only reason he was available here is because of the injury questions surrounding his foot, but he played all of 2015 post the injury.

Mikey doesn't like to divert from his board smile.gif
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 30 2016, 10:47 AM) *
Mikey doesn't like to divert from his board smile.gif

Got to stay true to the board!!

BTW, just heard that R. Diddy had him as late 5th early 6th talent!! sad.gif

We'll see if he can play. With Brooks and Wiz, we'll be Ok for this year.

Brooks is a good guy and a beast!!

The more I hear and see of Wentz, the more I like this kid.

I'm like a teen in love. No 3rd round screw ups bother me when I got my QB of the future. wub.gif
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 30 2016, 10:59 AM) *
The more I hear and see of Wentz, the more I like this kid.

I'm like a teen in love. No 3rd round screw ups bother me when I got my QB of the future. wub.gif

I'm with ya. Drafting QBs is the best.
Joegrane
Seumalo's stat spiderweb compares well with OCs, but not as well with OGs. Maybe he was drafted to be the eventual replacement to the undersized J Kelce.

vs OCs
http://www.mockdraftable.com/player/5392/position/7/

vs OGs
http://www.mockdraftable.com/player/5392/position/5/

Kelce
http://www.mockdraftable.com/player/454/

Maybe Pederson wants more of a power running game. Kelce was awesome at getting out in space in front of Shady.

#136 at #79.

Seumalo OG Oregon State.

Wow.

RANK RANGE 82-203

Good night all.

See yuz tomorrow.
mcnabbulous
Mockdraftable is my favorite draft resource.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 30 2016, 10:53 PM) *
Mockdraftable is my favorite draft resource.

link?

I don't think I've seen that one.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 30 2016, 11:02 PM) *
link?

I don't think I've seen that one.

Mockdraftable.com

smile.gif

It's just spider graphs that compare the measurables of guys through the years. It's an interesting way to evaluate guys without having to actually see them play.
Joegrane
Caught a few minutes of Rosman interview this morning. He says a team that he has a good trading relationship with called him wanting to trade up to the Eagles's pick in the 3rd.

Due to the few picks they had, Roseman wanted to do the deal; however, the way the draft was progressing he did not expect Seumalo to last very long. So Roseman questioned the GM re O or D. He replied O. Then he asked which group. Reply was O Line. Roseman said, no.

Later, the other GM selected a defensive player, so Roseman called the guy and asked. The GM said you picked our guy, Seumalo.

We've had other discussions about picking players with red flags in their history. However I think their picks of Wentz and Seumalo suggest that they really value smart, high character players in the first two days.

Seumalo's dad is or was a college D Line coach. I bet that helped the kid to be a good center during his freshman year. The center has to be smart enough to call the assignments for the O Line.

#136 at #79.

Seumalo OG Oregon State.

Wow.

RANK RANGE 82-203
mcnabbulous
I don't see how anyone would be upset with that pick. He seems like almost a sure thing to be a long term staple of our OL.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Joegrane @ May 2 2016, 04:51 PM) *
Caught a few minutes of Rosman interview this morning. He says a team that he has a good trading relationship with called him wanting to trade up to the Eagles's pick in the 3rd.

Due to the few picks they had, Roseman wanted to do the deal; however, the way the draft was progressing he did not expect Seumalo to last very long. So Roseman questioned the GM re O or D. He replied O. Then he asked which group. Reply was O Line. Roseman said, no.

Later, the other GM selected a defensive player, so Roseman called the guy and asked. The GM said you picked our guy, Seumalo.

We've had other discussions about picking players with red flags in their history. However I think their picks of Wentz and Seumalo suggest that they really value smart, high character players in the first two days.

Seumalo's dad is or was a college D Line coach. I bet that helped the kid to be a good center during his freshman year. The center has to be smart enough to call the assignments for the O Line.

On CSN 2 of the beat writers killed him as did Diddy over the weekend...says he is good in a phone booth...

Every player we drafted is a big IF...there is none that does not have questions. Wentz will be a player, the only question with him will be how good and that is a big question.

The rest could all be out of the league in a year or 2. Hopefully 1 or 2 of them pan out. I am told that the Eagles had doors with locks put on all the stalls in the locker room after the draft......lol
Joegrane
Wow, that is a bleak outlook.

You are saying everyone except Wentz could be worse than Marcus Smith? Marcus is still on the team after producing almost nothing.

Some of them could be on the practice squad for two years.

David Molk was the backup center for a year or so. I can't imagine that Seumalo will be as weak a backup C as Molk was.

GMs don't admit mistakes about high round picks that easily.

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ May 2 2016, 05:50 PM) *

Every player we drafted is a big IF...there is none that does not have questions. Wentz will be a player, the only question with him will be how good and that is a big question.

The rest could all be out of the league in a year or 2. Hopefully 1 or 2 of them pan out. I am told that the Eagles had doors with locks put on all the stalls in the locker room after the draft......lol

nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ May 2 2016, 04:50 PM) *
On CSN 2 of the beat writers killed him as did Diddy over the weekend...says he is good in a phone booth...

Phone Booth, one hell of a movie!!
Eyrie
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 3 2016, 01:27 AM) *
Phone Booth, one hell of a movie!!

Oh shit ........

I still can't believe you liked a movie that didn't have Kate Winslett.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Eyrie @ May 3 2016, 02:18 PM) *
Oh shit ........

I still can't believe you liked a movie that didn't have Kate Winslett.

Very few of us have been around long enough to understand this.

Upon further review, I may have slightly over rated that movie. Just a tad.
D Rock
Phone booth was pure garbage.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (D Rock @ May 4 2016, 02:16 PM) *

Thank You....painful to watch
The Franchise
QUOTE (D Rock @ May 4 2016, 02:16 PM) *

I wouldn't know, because I would never dedicate two hours of my life to watching a movie called 'Phone Booth' that takes place around a phone booth.

laugh.gif
nephillymike
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0183649/

7.1 bitches!!!

This board lacks the sophistication and taste required to truly recognize greatness !! (at least very goodness)

Where's Bill when I need him, that peanut throwing bastard???
nephillymike
Eyrie
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 6 2016, 02:01 AM) *

7.1 bitches!!!

This board lacks the sophistication and taste required to truly recognize greatness !! (at least very goodness)

It wasn't as bad as some on here like to claim. I'd probably give it 2 Phonebooths*.

* For newer members, that is a rating out of five and not one hundred. A five rating is reserved for the likes of Seven Samurai and Apocalypse Now, with a one rating indicating The Phantom Menace or Last Tango In Paris.
The Franchise
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 5 2016, 08:01 PM) *

7.1 bitches!!!

laugh.gif

Yeah, and Fast & Furious 8 will be a huge hit. I consider it a badge of honor to say I haven't watched since the 2nd one came out. If stupid people didn't enjoy stupid movies, Michael Bay and Jason Statham would be begging on the corner.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.