Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Congrats on Wentz!
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Trips44
local to Bismarck, ND..

Wentz parents met up with a reporter at our local airport today. They were DRAPED in eagles gear, head to toe.

So ya, safe to say it's a done deal. Huge deal to small ol' ND. The whole state is hoping he succeeds!

I guess it's go eagles now!
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Trips44 @ Apr 28 2016, 02:23 PM) *
local to Bismarck, ND..

Wentz parents met up with a reporter at our local airport today. They were DRAPED in eagles gear, head to toe.

So ya, safe to say it's a done deal. Huge deal to small ol' ND. The whole state is hoping he succeeds!

Well that's good to know. I think most people are more excited about him than Goff...and there was still a little bit of doubt for some.

I'm excited about him. Have some doubts about whether he'll ever master the passing elements, but think his athleticism and arm will allow him to become a really solid starter.

Welcome along for the miserable ride that is Philadelphia Eagles fandom!
Pila
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 28 2016, 08:38 PM) *
Well that's good to know. I think most people are more excited about him than Goff...and there was still a little bit of doubt for some.

I'm excited about him. Have some doubts about whether he'll ever master the passing elements, but think his athleticism and arm will allow him to become a really solid starter.

Welcome along for the miserable ride that is Philadelphia Eagles fandom!

Never saw the two play, but it does sound like Wentz has the upside and greater physical tools. I think his chances increase with Bradford on the team for the first year. Rushing the kid out there, not as convincing.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Pila @ Apr 28 2016, 02:43 PM) *
Never saw the two play, but it does sound like Wentz has the upside and greater physical tools. I think his chances increase with Bradford on the team for the first year. Rushing the kid out there, not as convincing.

Think Daniel starts this year if Bradford isn't around. And maybe either way.

I'm positive Wentz won't be seeing significant playing time.
Pila
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 28 2016, 08:44 PM) *
Think Daniel starts this year if Bradford isn't around. And maybe either way.

I'm positive Wentz won't be seeing significant playing time.

If Daniel really sucks, without a decent second option, it'll be Wentz. Coaches need another viable layer to keep them from being seduced into playing Wentz. This will be alot harder without Bradford.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Pila @ Apr 28 2016, 02:47 PM) *
If Daniel really sucks, without a decent second option, it'll be Wentz. Coaches need another viable layer to keep them from being seduced into playing Wentz. This will be alot harder without Bradford.

I guess the definition of "really sucks" is subjective, but the standard we're working with is being set by Doug Pederson. So I have a feeling it's a pretty low bar.
Zero
QUOTE (Trips44 @ Apr 28 2016, 03:23 PM) *
local to Bismarck, ND..

Welcome to our world, Tripps. Hope you're right and Carson is an Eagle at #2. Stick around and keep us up to speed on ND insights.
Pila
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 28 2016, 08:50 PM) *
I guess the definition of "really sucks" is subjective, but the standard we're working with is being set by Doug Pederson. So I have a feeling it's a pretty low bar.

It's well and good for us fans to accept - we could all use it to taper our delusions. But in the locker room, where athletes are being asked to sacrifice limb, a coach can't go too long stretching chances to shitty QBs - their standards are probably higher than ours.
Trips44
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 28 2016, 02:53 PM) *
Welcome to our world, Tripps. Hope you're right and Carson is an Eagle at #2. Stick around and keep us up to speed on ND insights.

Can your world be any worse than the NFC North world i've been living in?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Pila @ Apr 28 2016, 02:54 PM) *
It's well and good for us fans to accept - we could all use it to taper our delusions. But in the locker room, where athletes are being asked to sacrifice limb, a coach can't go too long stretching chances to shitty QBs - their standards are probably higher than ours.

I don't know, we saw it work in the past with personalities like Dawkins and Trotter in the locker room. I think the athletes aren't nearly as shortsighted as you're suggesting.

If they're impressed by Wentz, they'll understand the desire to break him in slowly.
Zero
QUOTE (Trips44 @ Apr 28 2016, 03:59 PM) *
Can your world be any worse than the NFC North world i've been living in?

This is Philadelphia, I suspect the home of Murphy's Law. But also, this is the birthplace of WC Fields who said "First prize was a week in Philadelphia. Second prize was two weeks."
Pila
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 28 2016, 09:02 PM) *
I don't know, we saw it work in the past with personalities like Dawkins and Trotter in the locker room. I think the athletes aren't nearly as shortsighted as you're suggesting.

If they're impressed by Wentz, they'll understand the desire to break him in slowly.

I don't consider that being short-sighted, but it takes a strong argument to convince athletes to go lay their bodies on the line for a losing cause. .
Phits
QUOTE (Pila @ Apr 28 2016, 04:20 PM) *
I don't consider that being short-sighted, but it takes a strong argument to convince athletes to go lay their bodies on the line for a losing cause. .

That depends on the athlete and whether the situation is dire. Most professionals can accept losing, even for a season, if it is part of the process to build something greater. I highly doubt that this Eagles team (players) expects to be anything other than competitive. Now if this carries on for 2-3 years without improvement.....
Joegrane
That's nice for them. I suppose it won't be long before we'll see them hawking something on TV, although I'm betting a Steak House rather than Mrs. McNabb's Campbell's Soup : )

QUOTE (Trips44 @ Apr 28 2016, 03:23 PM) *
...Wentz parents met up with a reporter at our local airport today. They were DRAPED in eagles gear, head to toe....

QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 28 2016, 03:38 PM) *
...Welcome along for the miserable ride that is Philadelphia Eagles fandom!

I hope someone warned them that, while our name is City of Brotherly Love, when it comes to football, it is the City of Tough Love.

...I'm excited about him. Have some doubts about whether he'll ever master the passing elements, but think his athleticism and arm will allow him to become a really solid starter.

He also seems to be more nimble on his feet than one would expect from a 6-6 white guy. That came in handy while learning the craft for another Eagles QB drafted @ #2.
Dreagon
It's a good pick, and you don't have to sit waiting in gut clenching stress tonight waiting to see if your team is going to pull a brainfart in the first round.
mcnabbulous
Regardless of how you feel about the trade itself. I don't know how anyone couldn't be excited about a QB that is selected #2. Our front office is not just trying to fill seats by putting a competitive team on the field. They're going all in.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 28 2016, 06:37 PM) *
Regardless of how you feel about the trade itself. I don't know how anyone couldn't be excited about a QB that is selected #2. Our front office is not just trying to fill seats by putting a competitive team on the field. They're going all in.

My concern is that he played at a school that went 7-0 while he was hurt and he has 23 games under his belt. One tells me that the competition or his team had a lot to do with his success though 2 of their losses came with him under center. The other tells me he lacks seasoning.

Both are a huge concern for a guy they gave so much for.

History tells us it is a huge mistake to do what they did and I get all you lads out there that like to ignore history but it is what it is. And as the saying goes....those who choose to ignore the lessons of history.....

Howie has taken a gamble against that class sadly...
BisonEagleFan
I'm a new Eagles Fan biggrin.gif

Where can I get a Wentz Eagles jersey rolleyes.gif
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (BisonEagleFan @ Apr 29 2016, 10:35 AM) *
I'm a new Eagles Fan biggrin.gif

Where can I get a Wentz Eagles jersey rolleyes.gif

Welcome to the club. Just don't be like the unrealistic Sam Bradford or Tim Tebow apologists that have shown up and couldn't be remotely objective.

I'm personally really excited about Carson. But I'm also the biggest get a QB at all costs guy around here. Hopefully he's the one.
BisonEagleFan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 29 2016, 11:21 AM) *
Welcome to the club. Just don't be like the unrealistic Sam Bradford or Tim Tebow apologists that have shown up and couldn't be remotely objective.

I'm personally really excited about Carson. But I'm also the biggest get a QB at all costs guy around here. Hopefully he's the one.

You got a great person/athlete in Carson Wentz. As good of an athlete he's a better person. I also think the hype about the level of competition you are hearing about leads most to think he isn't remotely close to being ready to play at the NFL level. He won't likely start from the get go but he's not as far off from being ready as many are saying either. For that matter Goff who has never played in a pro style will likely be facing a stiffer learning curve than Carson will. Carson is a football junkie and knows how to read a defense. Given time in the film room and time to learn the offense he's going to do well. Yeah he'll take his bumps and bruises like all rookies do but he won't be a bust. Quite the contrary hes going to be a great QB for the Eagles.

Looking forward to seeing him play and bring the Eagles fans many smiles and high fives. Oh and for his supporters you'll be the ones with the last laugh saying I told you so to the naysayers wink.gif
mcnabbulous
I'd prefer him to be a better player than person. I can handle character flaws easier than turnover problems.

But I'm also a jaded bastard.
BisonEagleFan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 29 2016, 03:04 PM) *
I'd prefer him to be a better player than person. I can handle character flaws easier than turnover problems.

But I'm also a jaded bastard.

Oh don't worry you are going to be happy when you see him play. What you don't necessarily see on film is the guys fire & drive to win. He is a winner. He also knows how to handle pressure. Saying it won't make you a believer you will get to see it in person (Lucky fans who get to be there to watch it) and you will be turned into a believer if you aren't already. Like I said before he'll take his lumps as all players do but he'll bounce back. He's just flat out a winner and that's not something you can coach you either have it or you don't. Carson has it in spades.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (BisonEagleFan @ Apr 29 2016, 03:12 PM) *
Oh don't worry you are going to be happy when you see him play. What you don't necessarily see on film is the guys fire & drive to win. He is a winner. He also knows how to handle pressure. Saying it won't make you a believer you will get to see it in person (Lucky fans who get to be there to watch it) and you will be turned into a believer if you aren't already. Like I said before he'll take his lumps as all players do but he'll bounce back. He's just flat out a winner and that's not something you can coach you either have it or you don't. Carson has it in spades.

I guess my biggest concern really stems from the program itself. Why is he so much better than Brock Jensen? Why couldn't he beat him out when Jensen was there?

You guys have dominated for the past 5 years and that obviously precedes Carson. I love Wentz's upside, but it seems as though you could have plugged just about anyone under center and they would have thrived.
D Rock
I know, right? If only they had Geno Smith, they would've had a sure fire 1st round worthy QB....

blah.gif

They could have recruited Chance Warmack to help protect him!

Seriously though, you go all in on a guy who had no business in the 1st round, but find nothing but holes (apparently glaring in your world) in a guy that some were saying was "the most pro ready QB in the draft since Luck." Is it because we got him that you are sounding like a hater? If we missed out on him, I'm sure he'd be the 2nd coming of St. Geno.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Apr 29 2016, 05:34 PM) *
I know, right? If only they had Geno Smith, they would've had a sure fire 1st round worthy QB....

blah.gif

They could have recruited Chance Warmack to help protect him!

Seriously though, you go all in on a guy who had no business in the 1st round, but find nothing but holes (apparently glaring in your world) in a guy that some were saying was "the most pro ready QB in the draft since Luck." Is it because we got him that you are sounding like a hater? If we missed out on him, I'm sure he'd be the 2nd coming of St. Geno.

What the hell are you talking about? I'm super excited about Wentz. I figured since we have the ear of people that have been watching him and the program I'd ask some relevant questions. God forbid someone tries to keep a thread on topic. But nice work with the Geno stuff.

QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 26 2016, 10:40 PM) *
Fwiw, I picked very good and one championship.

I am feeling pretty good about the pick. It's risky, but I think his floor is pretty high. He's big, strong and athletic. Even if he struggles in some capacity, he has enough tools to make plays.

Hell the more I talk about him, the more I'm feeling a dynasty a brewin'. At the very least, it's exciting to have a young QB with legit upside in the mix. I can remember how exciting it was when Donnie started to get serious reps. Man, that feels like forever ago and yesterday at the same time.

Reality Fan
I guess the ignore didn't take but just as well...

I wonder what idiot posted this?

What the video correctly identifies is Hacks ability the diagnose defenses at an NFL level. If you don't watch much college football, I can't tell you how unique that is. This video also highlights the unbelievable deficiencies he was dealing with along the offensive line. Again, not exaggerating when I say that this was amongst the worst OL I've ever seen.

In the past decade, I would say there have been 5 QBs in the past decade who offer Hackenberg's combination of NFL level smarts and physical attributes. Those guys are Luck, Wilson (who only fell due to height concerns), Winston, and Stafford.

This guy is a unique talent that was in the ultimate terrible circumstance. Playing for a coaching staff that didn't know how to properly use his skills for a sanction depleted roster. Like I said, these guys aren't available in the middle of the first round.

When O'Brien snatches him up at 22 (assuming that everyone else is too scared to pull the trigger) it will only reaffirm my opinion on him. He was running a scaled back NFL offense four weeks after stepping foot on campus and O'Brien is on record saying only one other guy has picked up his offense that quickly. I'll let you guess who that was.

and that is just one of many about dear old Hack..

lol...it is too funny....what a fucking tool...he never says anything stupid even if he did.....
mcnabbulous
Yes, before grabbing Osweiller in FA, I thought O'Brien would draft Hackenberg. After FA, I said it was not likely. With new information my opinion changed.

I'm not sure why you're trying to ruin an unrelated thread with it though. Outside of your obvious mental disorder.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.