Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bradfords Take on This
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Dreagon
I sort of get it. Bradford thought he finally had things set up for a long term home with an NFL team, and then they trade up to draft a QB. Lets face it, a team is gonna eventually play the guy they traded all those picks for, so Bradford knows he's now a short term commodity. And he's pissed about that. Okay, fine.

But he's handling this wrong. His demand for a trade comes off like a guy who thinks he's already a proven NFL commodity, and he simply ain't. He's reacting emotionally instead of using his head and taking the situation for what it now is. He now has a two year audition to attract the attention of another team, and he needs to approach it that way. Pouting, calling his GM a liar, and demanding a trade ain't a good start to that audition.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Apr 26 2016, 09:45 AM) *
I sort of get it. Bradford thought he finally had things set up for a long term home with an NFL team, and then they trade up to draft a QB. Lets face it, a team gonna eventually play the guy they traded all those picks for, so Bradford knows he's now a short term commodity. And he's pissed about that. Okay, fine.

But he's handling this wrong. His demand for a trade comes off like a guy who thinks he's already a proven NFL commodity, and he simply ain't. He's reacting emotionally instead of using his head and taking the situation for what it now is. He now has a two year audition to attract the attention of another team, and he needs to approach it that way. Pouting, calling his GM a liar, and demanding a trade ain't a good start to that audition.

The problem with all of this is that he was foolish in believing he had things "set up for a long term home."

That wasn't the contract he signed. He was given good money for a short deal. If he wanted long term security, he chose the wrong path. I suspect that's his agent's doing. Condon is notorious for getting every bit of money possible.

He made his bed. The Eagles never hid their desire to draft a franchise QB.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 26 2016, 10:49 AM) *
The problem with all of this is that he was foolish in believing he had things "set up for a long term home."

That wasn't the contract he signed. He was given good money for a short deal. If he wanted long term security, he chose the wrong path. I suspect that's his agent's doing. Condon is notorious for getting every bit of money possible.

He made his bed. The Eagles never hid their desire to draft a franchise QB.

The thing is...no one knows what the conversations with Bradford were....apparently he got the inmpression that he was in their long term plans....do you think that was fantasy on his part or do you think that maybe, just maybe, they may have promised him something?

Folks keep assuming that everything happened in a vacuum....somewhere along the line he got a very different impression about their plans...
Dreagon
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 26 2016, 09:54 AM) *
The thing is...no one knows what the conversations with Bradford were....apparently he got the inmpression that he was in their long term plans....do you think that was fantasy on his part or do you think that maybe, just maybe, they may have promised him something?

Folks keep assuming that everything happened in a vacuum....somewhere along the line he got a very different impression about their plans...

I take Bradford at his word. I think he honestly believed he had found his new home, and is bitterly disappointed at what happened. Whether he should have seen this coming is an entirely different conversation.

I'm just saying that his agent needs to be sitting on him and explaining some things about going forward from here.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 26 2016, 09:54 AM) *

He signed the contract. I don't know what else to tell you.
Reality Fan
and all of this is moot.....in the same interview Condon said he is just staying home for the voluntary workouts...after all..he is their starter so why show up?....Howie said so....lol

Everyone can commence their carping if he does not show up for the mandatory portion...so far he has done nothing to violate his contract.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 26 2016, 10:23 AM) *
and all of this is moot.....in the same interview Condon said he is just staying home for the voluntary workouts...after all..he is their starter so why show up?....Howie said so....lol

Everyone can commence their carping if he does not show up for the mandatory portion...so far he has done nothing to violate his contract.

Yeah, because he's been so good in his career that he probably doesn't need to be out there doing everything possible to get better with his new teammates and coaching staff.

What a joke this dude is. I can't believe any Eagles fan would try to defend him.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 26 2016, 11:26 AM) *
Yeah, because he's been so good in his career that he probably doesn't need to be out there doing everything possible to get better with his new teammates and coaching staff.

What a joke this dude is. I can't believe any Eagles fan would try to defend him.

hahahah..now I am not an Eagles Fan....

Is it mandatory? He has very few vehicles to show his displeasure, this is one of them. I can't believe anyone with a brain can't see that. How about Drew Brees holding out for more money? How about Eli Manning holding out to force a trade?

Those are far worse...Bradford is looking for a home and he is not happy that the one he thought he had a shot at was just yanked away. Your problem is you can't get away from the money.....something he no longer needs. This is purely about athletic competition, I get you don't understand that part of it but you think that he actually has a chance to compete, that is naive. For all the assets they expended to get to 2 there is no way for them to justify keeping him...that is not competition, that is dead man walking.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 26 2016, 10:45 AM) *
hahahah..now I am not an Eagles Fan....

No. I said I can't believe an Eagles fan would defend him. I would never question your fandom.

Is it mandatory? He has very few vehicles to show his displeasure, this is one of them. I can't believe anyone with a brain can't see that. How about Drew Brees holding out for more money? How about Eli Manning holding out to force a trade?

Are you comparing Bradford to Brees? Brees was put into Bradford's situation once. He didn't sulk. He went out and became one of the best QBs in history. Bradford should have learned from that situation.

I'm not sure what point you're making about Manning. I think the shit he pulled around the draft was some of the weakest stuff the league has ever seen. I'll never respect the guy for it.

Those are far worse...Bradford is looking for a home and he is not happy that the one he thought he had a shot at was just yanked away. Your problem is you can't get away from the money.....something he no longer needs. This is purely about athletic competition, I get you don't understand that part of it but you think that he actually has a chance to compete, that is naive. For all the assets they expended to get to 2 there is no way for them to justify keeping him...that is not competition, that is dead man walking.

No, I can't get away from Bradford's entitlement. You keep saying that he thought he had a shot and it was yanked away, but that's only the case when the Eagles get rid of him. He should have done everything possible to make them regret their decision.

Instead, he's acting like a little bitch. Do you think the Chargers regret giving up on Brees?
Eyrie
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 26 2016, 03:54 PM) *

QUOTE (Dreagon @ Apr 26 2016, 04:07 PM) *
I take Bradford at his word. I think he honestly believed he had found his new home, and is bitterly disappointed at what happened. Whether he should have seen this coming is an entirely different conversation.

I'm just saying that his agent needs to be sitting on him and explaining some things about going forward from here.

Bradford is very na´ve if he thinks that being offered a two year deal equates to being promised a long term home. At best he'd have had a verbal assurance that he could earn a long term deal in those two years, but that wasn't a guarantee of anything.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 26 2016, 11:56 AM) *
No, I can't get away from Bradford's entitlement. You keep saying that he thought he had a shot and it was yanked away, but that's only the case when the Eagles get rid of him. He should have done everything possible to make them regret their decision.

Which is it? The Eagles will never pay him his full contract or it is only the case if they do get rid of him?

You argue both sides of the coin...lol
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 26 2016, 11:24 AM) *
Which is it? The Eagles will never pay him his full contract or it is only the case if they do get rid of him?

You argue both sides of the coin...lol

Well now they will most definitely get rid of him. That was always the most likely scenario. But a real competitor would have done everything to make that decision hard.

It's a real easy decision now. He's shown exactly why his career has gone the path that it has.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 26 2016, 12:32 PM) *
Well now they will most definitely get rid of him. That was always the most likely scenario. But a real competitor would have done everything to make that decision hard.

It's a real easy decision now. He's shown exactly why his career has gone the path that it has.

Maybe he and Fletcher Cox are golfing...oh wait....you knew that Cox wasn't there too, right? But hey, it is not like they are installing a new defense. right? oh wait...they are....

oh well...I guess he is a bitch too
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 26 2016, 12:02 PM) *
Maybe he and Fletcher Cox are golfing...oh wait....you knew that Cox wasn't there too, right? But hey, it is not like they are installing a new defense. right? oh wait...they are....

oh well...I guess he is a bitch too

No, Fletcher Cox is one of the best players in football. He has nothing to prove.

I don't know why you can't see the difference here.

One guy has everything to prove. He claims he wants to be (and already is) great. He's done nothing to prove that and needs every rep to make sure that he fulfills his potential.

The other guy is one of the ten best defenders in football.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 26 2016, 01:09 PM) *
No, Fletcher Cox is one of the best players in football. He has nothing to prove.

I don't know why you can't see the difference here.

One guy has everything to prove. He claims he wants to be (and already is) great. He's done nothing to prove that and needs every rep to make sure that he fulfills his potential.

The other guy is one of the ten best defenders in football.

What does Bradford have to prove?...you said it yourself.....the Eagles won't be paying him the full deal. He has his contract for a team that will be getting rid of him after a year.....he has a ton of money....what is left to prove? He is not getting an extension. He only needs to prove that he can show up when he has to.

The difference here is you blame Bradford for this mess and I blame the Eagles. After the 3 years of Kelly's lack of emotional intelligence you give them a pass, I hold them even more accountable. They had to know or should have known how this was going to impact the guy they just signed. They acted as if it would be no big deal.

This is Pro Sports....guys hold out all the time, how they thought he would be thrilled is amazing.

Oh...and Cox is still not showing up to learn a new defense because of his contract....so yeah, apparently he is a a bitch in your eyes or you are a hypocrite....
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 26 2016, 12:23 PM) *
What does Bradford have to prove?...you said it yourself.....the Eagles won't be paying him the full deal. He has his contract for a team that will be getting rid of him after a year.....he has a ton of money....what is left to prove? He is not getting an extension. He only needs to prove that he can show up when he has to.

Prove he's a good football player? You talk about his competitiveness (which I can't understand), but yet you don't think he needs to prove that?

To date, he's the most overpaid player in NFL history. I'd say he has something to prove.

The difference here is you blame Bradford for this mess and I blame the Eagles. After the 3 years of Kelly's lack of emotional intelligence you give them a pass, I hold them even more accountable. They had to know or should have known how this was going to impact the guy they just signed. They acted as if it would be no big deal.

In my experience, most professional athletes would be pissed off after this experience. Bradford is acting like an entitled bitch. That's why I blame him.

I would expect him to be mad. He's acting sad. Which probably correlates to why he's been a failure as a pro.

This is Pro Sports....guys hold out all the time, how they thought he would be thrilled is amazing.

Not guys that just signed brand new contracts.

Oh...and Cox is still not showing up to learn a new defense because of his contract....so yeah, apparently he is a a bitch in your eyes or you are a hypocrite....

Stop comparing Cox to Bradford. It shows your ignorance. Cox doesn't have anything to prove. He can step in and dominate in any scheme, any day. It's apples and oranges.

I'm done debating this with you. I can assure you, you're in the minority in defending Bradford here. It doesn't make you right or wrong, it's just a reality. Very few people are sympathetic to Bradford's cause. That's the reality.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 26 2016, 01:52 PM) *
Stop comparing Cox to Bradford. It shows your ignorance. Cox doesn't have anything to prove. He can step in and dominate in any scheme, any day. It's apples and oranges.

I'm done debating this with you. I can assure you, you're in the minority in defending Bradford here. It doesn't make you right or wrong, it's just a reality. Very few people are sympathetic to Bradford's cause. That's the reality.

Cox is holding out because he did not get his extension, nothing more, nothing less...to ignore that is expected from someone like you. He, too, is pouting.

I accept that most here don't agree with me. Many think I am presenting Bradford as a super QB, I am not. I merely look at his career and did the due diligence of examining that career and try to understand what happened. He was not the rookie of the year by accident. After looking at the situation he was drafted to and the personnel moves made by the team that drafted him going forwad it was not real hard to see what happened.

All that considered I don't know if he is going to great. I know it is not a given. I would have been fine if he walked. What I do not like is that they went down both roads knowing they had already made a deal with Miami to move up to 8. I don't like that they wasted resources using a "shoot from the hip" approach. Once they signed him they should have gone down that road. Wentz, who I like, may very well fail.....in fact, history shows most early picks do and it also shows exhausting resources to get to that spot also usually fails. The Eagles did both.

Where I veer off the path is I don't bash Bradford to support this fucked up approach to management. I bash the 2 morons who made the choices that led to this disaster. It is going to be a bumpy ride.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 26 2016, 02:11 PM) *
Cox is holding out because he did not get his extension, nothing more, nothing less...to ignore that is expected from someone like you. He, too, is pouting.

Because every time Cox steps onto the field, he risks his financial future. Fletch has made about $10MM in his career. Sam has made $75M and just signed a new deal.

Once again, apples and oranges.

I accept that most here don't agree with me. Many think I am presenting Bradford as a super QB, I am not. I merely look at his career and did the due diligence of examining that career and try to understand what happened. He was not the rookie of the year by accident. After looking at the situation he was drafted to and the personnel moves made by the team that drafted him going forwad it was not real hard to see what happened.

Like I said, I've made all those excuses for Sam too. He had an opportunity to show the world what he is this season. And make the Eagles regret doubting that.

You're not the only one that has evaluated Sam's career. I went back and watched about as much footage from St. Louis and Oklahoma as I could find on the guy.

All that considered I don't know if he is going to great. I know it is not a given. I would have been fine if he walked. What I do not like is that they went down both roads knowing they had already made a deal with Miami to move up to 8. I don't like that they wasted resources using a "shoot from the hip" approach. Once they signed him they should have gone down that road. Wentz, who I like, may very well fail.....in fact, history shows most early picks do and it also shows exhausting resources to get to that spot also usually fails. The Eagles did both.

Where I veer off the path is I don't bash Bradford to support this fucked up approach to management. I bash the 2 morons who made the choices that led to this disaster. It is going to be a bumpy ride.

You think that investing heavily in QBs is mismanagement. I don't get it, but so be it. Like you said, Wentz will statistically likely fail. Maybe they get him in this year and realize that is the case immediately. Doubtful, but not impossible. Then they have the backup of another year of Sam under contract.

It doesn't change the reality that Sam's actions are unbefitting of a guy that is supposed to be a leader. It speaks very poorly of him.

I'm over it. At this point, they can get rid of him for all I care. He is what he is.
Pila
I don't think Bradford was naive - the two-year deal could have been argued with the team's reluctance in committing to a long-term deal based on his injury history, by suggesting that if he can stay healthy and play well, an extension would be reasonable, rather than on account that he wasn't in their long-term plans.

The move up to get Wentz betrayed that good faith obtained during negotiations that convinced Bradford to take the 2-year deal. While perhaps no promises were made, I'm betting this is why Bradford is taking this as a betrayal of his confidence.

Skipping voluntary workouts is a symbolic gesture. He'll show when he has to, and I'm pretty sure he'll compete. I think in the locker room this ends up being much more a case where Roseman comes away looking less than credible next time he presents a position of good-faith on the next renegotiation with a premier player.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Pila @ Apr 26 2016, 03:33 PM) *
I don't think Bradford was naive - the two-year deal could have been argued with the team's reluctance in committing to a long-term deal based on his injury history, by suggesting that if he can stay healthy and play well, an extension would be reasonable, rather than on account that he wasn't in their long-term plans.

The move up to get Wentz betrayed that good faith obtained during negotiations that convinced Bradford to take the 2-year deal. While perhaps no promises were made, I'm betting this is why Bradford is taking this as a betrayal of his confidence.

Skipping voluntary workouts is a symbolic gesture. He'll show when he has to, and I'm pretty sure he'll compete. I think in the locker room this ends up being much more a case where Roseman comes away looking less than credible next time he presents a position of good-faith on the next renegotiation with a premier player.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Pila @ Apr 26 2016, 02:33 PM) *
Skipping voluntary workouts is a symbolic gesture.

Do you think his agent going on the radio and saying they want a trade is also symbolic?

This has crossed the lines of posturing.
Pila
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 26 2016, 08:00 PM) *
Do you think his agent going on the radio and saying they want a trade is also symbolic?

This has crossed the lines of posturing.

It's symbolic of his protest, but he hasn't threatened to hold out, has he?
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (Pila @ Apr 26 2016, 04:02 PM) *

just heard SalPal say he just spoke today with Condon

Condon indicates that Bradford would show up for mandatory activities in June...but hopes to be traded before that

Phits
QUOTE (Pila @ Apr 26 2016, 03:33 PM) *

The problem with this rationale is that the Eagles have been very public about Sam being the starter this season and that they wanted to draft a QB to develop as a long term solution. He never had issue when he believed that his potential replacement was going to be a later round pick. Now that the Eagles appear to be ready to use a premium pick Sam feels threatened.

It's a shame really. Of all the things wrong with Sam, I didn't take him as a coward who is afraid of competition from a rookie.

QUOTE (Pila @ Apr 26 2016, 04:02 PM) *

Not that I am aware. Unfortunately, he's done more damage by publicly asking for a trade....the week of the draft.
Zero
IMO, both sides screwed the pooch and I don't think there'd be a problem granting his request for a trade if he offered to give back that $11 million. Personally, I wish he had made his trade request in private along with the list of repercussions if he didn't get it. Show some maturity and respect. It really doesn't matter if he thinks he was disrespected because it will be better for him in the long run if he takes the high road.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (Phits @ Apr 26 2016, 06:04 PM) *
The problem with this rationale is that the Eagles have been very public about Sam being the starter this season and that they wanted to draft a QB to develop as a long term solution. He never had issue when he believed that his potential replacement was going to be a later round pick. Now that the Eagles appear to be ready to use a premium pick Sam feels threatened.

It'shame s a really. Of all the things wrong with Sam, I didn't take him as a coward who is afraid of competition from a rookie..

a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a QB would result in competition between the rook and Bradford. that's what Sam signed up for

teams don't pick at #2 (especially if they gave up a ton to move up to get that #2 pick) to get a QB for competition

and even if there was a competition, Bradford cannot win and get an extension so whats his incentive
Zero
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Apr 26 2016, 06:45 PM) *
a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a QB would result in competition between the rook and Bradford. that's what Sam signed up for

teams don't pick at #2 (especially if they gave up a ton to move up to get that #2 pick) to get a QB for competition

and even if there was a competition, Bradford cannot win and get an extension so whats his incentive

His incentive is to play very well and cash in on a long term mega deal with another team. That's what he's looking for now minus the earn it part.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 26 2016, 06:52 PM) *
His incentive is to play very well and cash in on a long term mega deal with another team. That's what he's looking for now minus the earn it part.

not necessarily. the same way he was willing to earn a long term deal with the Birds, there is no evidence to suggest that he wouldn't sign the same type of deal with another team, earn it as you say, and cash in next year

he wants out now because he isn't interested in helping the eagles out for a year until their new QB is ready
Phits
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Apr 26 2016, 06:45 PM) *

That very well might be the case. However, if Bradford was reluctant to prove himself (versus a rookie) somebody in Bradford's camp should have realized the possibility of us taking a QB at #8 and warned him about it. Unless the plan all along was to raise a fuss after we drafted a QB.

QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 26 2016, 06:52 PM) *

BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (Phits @ Apr 26 2016, 07:13 PM) *
That very well might be the case. However, if Bradford was reluctant to prove himself (versus a rookie) somebody in Bradford's camp should have realized the possibility of us taking a QB at #8 and warned him about it. Unless the plan all along was to raise a fuss after we drafted a QB.

eagles were still at #13 I think when Bradford signed...its why he thought they were going to build around whichever QB won the competition. he was gambling that it would be him (even if the QB was whoever fell to 13), he would have earned his extension and he would be here for long term

after they signed him....they started moving up. and as I said, once they move to #2, all Bradford hopes of a future with the birds and any competition evaporated
Zero
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Apr 26 2016, 07:38 PM) *
eagles were still at #13 I think when Bradford signed...its why he thought they were going to build around whichever QB won the competition. he was gambling that it would be him (even if the QB was whoever fell to 13), he would have earned his extension and he would be here for long term

after they signed him....they started moving up. and as I said, once they move to #2, all Bradford hopes of a future with the birds and any competition evaporated

I haven't researched it, but someone said that shortly after he was hired Pederson announced his intention to draft a QB. This was well before Bradford was resigned.
Phits
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Apr 26 2016, 07:04 PM) *
not necessarily. the same way he was willing to earn a long term deal with the Birds, there is no evidence to suggest that he wouldn't sign the same type of deal with another team, earn it as you say, and cash in next year

he wants out now because he isn't interested in helping the eagles out for a year until their new QB is ready

You make a valid argument, however he hasn't 'earned' anything. Competition is part of the game. The Eagles identified him as the starting QB for next season, which would constitute 50% of the contract signed. That would give him the opportunity to live up to the blue chip status for which he was drafted. There is a dearth of quality QB's throughout the league. Playing well (and getting paid handsomely) would grant him more opportunities than publicly demanding a trade when the league still believes he has a much to prove.

QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Apr 26 2016, 07:38 PM) *

You are correct sir.

He may have gambled and lost.
Phits
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 26 2016, 08:09 PM) *
I haven't researched it, but someone said that shortly after he was hired Pederson announced his intention to draft a QB. This was well before Bradford was resigned.

This may be what you're referring to:

And then you start just kinda filling in. A hole here, a hole there, get some depth here, you know, get you a young quarterback possibly, and then you just start developing your talent and you see what happens after that."

Linc

I believe the point BWB was trying to make is that selecting a developmental QB with a later draft pick didn't make Bradford uncomfortable. He probably felt he could outplay the rook and get a longer deal by continuing to be slightly above average. The premium pick at #2 virtually means that Bradford can't half ass it and would have to live up to his potential (or exceed it) wink.gif
BirdsWinBaby
NM
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (Phits @ Apr 26 2016, 08:12 PM) *
He may have gambled and lost.

yea it looks that way....just remains to be seen if the casino will let him walk from the table carrying their money to the casino across the street...lol
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ Apr 26 2016, 08:19 PM) *
This may be what you're referring to:

Linc

I believe the point BWB was trying to make is that selecting a developmental QB with a later draft pick didn't make Bradford uncomfortable. He probably felt he could outplay the rook and get a longer deal by continuing to be slightly above average. The premium pick at #2 virtually means that Bradford can't half ass it and would have to live up to his potential (or exceed it) wink.gif

The pick at number 2 means that short of winning a SB or at least getting there means that he is gone...I think that is the issue. They can't spend what they did to get to 2 and then not play him and extend Bradford...I mean...I guess they could but they would look awful bad....
Pila
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Apr 26 2016, 11:04 PM) *

Yep, I think that's exactly right. It's one thing to say you're going to draft a quarterback to develop as hedge to injury to Bradford, entirely a different thing to then demonstrate - in lieu of trading the farm to get a QB - the plans are to replace Bradford after one year. This is not likely how the confidence that brought both parties to a two- year deal to agree.

There are no winners here, I don't think. I'm hard-pressed to believe this helps Howie build trust in the lockerroom. Bradford may have fallen to a disaproving fan base, but not sure that's any real consequence to the team's fortune while Howie's miscalculation most certainly will.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.