Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Before Bradford signed his deal
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Birdwatcher
To act like he was lied to is disingenuous, he chose not to see what was obvious.
But what they expected to happen did not, instead of acting like a man and coming back to prove he deserved to start, he wants to run away. What does that say about his character? They had done the same thing, and most teams do BTW, with McNabb, Kolb, Vick, and even Foles. none of them ran away from competing for the job. What makes this infinitely worse is that he signed that contract and has banked 5.5M already, and now he skips practices because he is just a pussy. It does reveal to me that Howie has no clue how to read people, from everything I saw Bradford was given a healthy salary to come back and prove the end of last year was not a fluke for him.

I don't want to see him under center for us now, he is not a leader at all, and I doubt his teammates would have much respect for him after this. I'll give him this, he has a knack for collecting big paychecks without doing much, if anything, to earn them. He was being given the chance to prove he could win for us, the drafting of a rookie QB (even at 2) would not have changed that I think. Not to mention, by doing this he probably lowered his trade value, which wasn't very high to begin with.

What a never-ending cluster-f*ck team this is!
Reality Fan
I agree with the last sentence....

But to think that they draft a QB at 2 and then not have him play is naive...

There is a huge difference in drafting a QB in later rounds vs. drafting one in the first round, especially in the top 10......

But you are right, this is a really screwed up situation.

I guess we should wait for Bradford or his agent to actually say something before assuming too much.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 25 2016, 05:36 PM) *
I agree with the last sentence....

But to think that they draft a QB at 2 and then not have him play is naive...

There is a huge difference in drafting a QB in later rounds vs. drafting one in the first round, especially in the top 10......

But you are right, this is a really screwed up situation.

I guess we should wait for Bradford or his agent to actually say something before assuming too much.

Yeah, McNabb started right away, don't you realize that they are basically recreating 1999. This is a just proof that Bradford is a wuss.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Apr 25 2016, 05:44 PM) *
Yeah, McNabb started right away, don't you realize that they are basically recreating 1999. This is a just proof that Bradford is a wuss.

How is it proof? and after the beating he took last year only an idiot would call him a wuss.

McNabb started 6 games that year, so yeah, he kind of did start right away....of course Pederson was the QB if you can call it that.

This is not recreating 99' in that regard...I think Daniels is scrap as well but even he would be better than Pederson was.
The Franchise
While we've gotten Bradford some help at WR, I'm sure he and we all expected them to use their #8 pick to get him some more help, and to draft a QB later as a backup. We just gave up our next 2 drafts to move up to #2 and get our 'future QB.'

He has every right to be pissed and to feel betrayed. Howie is a weasel. I'd want to leave this shit organization too.
Phits
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Apr 25 2016, 06:36 PM) *
While we've gotten Bradford some help at WR, I'm sure he and we all expected them to use their #8 pick to get him some more help, and to draft a QB later as a backup.

Not me. I have been calling QB right from the start. Bradford did nothing (this season) to impress me. Every hit he took was exaggerated by the fact that we all expected him to stay down. It made for good drama, but that was about it. I was on board for the one year rental at the cost of a 2nd round pick (Foles was a throw in IMO). I thought Bradford had "IT", but I was wrong.

We just gave up our next 2 drafts to move up to #2 and get our 'future QB.'

Not really. However, even if that was the case, landing a franchise QB is worth it.

He has every right to be pissed and to feel betrayed. Howie is a weasel. I'd want to leave this shit organization too.

He was compensated fairly and was given a new contract that was worth much more than he has proved to be worth.

But instead of toughing it out and being up for the challenge, Bradford is putting up a fuss. Keep in mind this is the guy who has, as Reuben Frank reminds us, has made over $100 million in his career and has never had a winning season or even made it to a playoff game. Or, as Jimmy Kempski put it, this is the guy who received $5.5 million from a deal he signed merely two months is already skipping work because he feels threatened by a rookie 23-year-old who played for a Division I FCS school. That's some real weak shit.

Weak
Zero
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Apr 25 2016, 06:36 PM) *

This is either an ill informed statement or an emotional reaction to a wimpy looking GM.

How did Howie know he would have any chance to move up to #2 when he signed Bradford? The "weasel" is doing what he thinks is the best thing for the long term success of the team. He's trying to draft a franchise QB to replace a QB who has promise without fulfilling it and who has been repeatedly throttled by serious injury. This move may not succeed but it's a logical move to which Bradford is reacting very poorly.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 25 2016, 07:17 PM) *
This is either an ill informed statement or an emotional reaction to a wimpy looking GM.

How did Howie know he would have any chance to move up to #2 when he signed Bradford? The "weasel" is doing what he thinks is the best thing for the long term success of the team. He's trying to draft a franchise QB to replace a QB who has promise without fulfilling it and who has been repeatedly throttled by serious injury. This move may not succeed but it's a logical move to which Bradford is reacting very poorly.

Z...stop....they were at 13 not 30.....moving up from 13 to 2 would be no harder than what they did....The Rams moved up from 15.....the Eagles certainly did not get a bargain to move but they still could have moved..

You amke it sound as if the world stopped for weeks and then they signed Bradford and the world began to spin again....

There was plenty of talk about drafting a QB prior to signing Bradford.

Hell...Pederosn was quoted 10 days BEFORE Bradford signed saying "at some time you have to draft a QB"

It is cute that you make it seem like it was a surprise that they were allowed to draft a QB in the first round but they knew it all to well...

Funny how you kill Bradford (perhaps correctly) but let the idiot twins skate....

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 25 2016, 07:06 PM) *
Z...stop....they were at 13 not 30.....moving up from 13 to 2 would be no harder than what they did....The Rams moved up from 15.....the Eagles certainly did not get a bargain to move but they still could have moved..

You amke it sound as if the world stopped for weeks and then they signed Bradford and the world began to spin again....

Hell...Pederosn was quoted 10 days BEFORE Bradford signed saying "at some time you have to draft a QB"

It is cute that you make it seem like it was a surprise that they were allowed to draft a QB in the first round but they knew it all to well...

Funny how you kill Bradford (perhaps correctly) but let the idiot twins skate....

They moved from 13 to 2. But no one had yet moved to 1. So it's not like they knew how the market would play out. And they certainly had no idea whether the Browns would be even willing to move out of two. And they didn't know if any other teams desired the guy they desired.

You make it sound like they knew the guy they wanted to acquire would be available. What if it played out like last year, where that simply wasn't an option. As Howie has said, the Titans were not making a trade last year. What if a team with significantly more resources than us decided Wentz was their guy?

We didn't know until we knew. And here we are.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 25 2016, 08:13 PM) *
They moved from 13 to 2. But no one had yet moved to 1. So it's not like they knew how the market would play out. And they certainly had no idea whether the Browns would be even willing to move out of two. And they didn't know if any other teams desired the guy they desired.

You make it sound like they knew the guy they wanted to acquire would be available. What if it played out like last year, where that simply wasn't an option. As Howie has said, the Titans were not making a trade last year. What if a team with significantly more resources than us decided Wentz was their guy?

We didn't know until we knew. And here we are.

Where are we getting drunk when we get Goff?..lolol
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 25 2016, 08:06 PM) *

They don't have a #2 and didn't want to mortgage their future which is probably why they pulled out of negotiations with Tennessee. Sure, they talked about drafting a QB but most of us thought that meant Prescott, Hackenberg, et al.

Not sure about the "cute" remark but whatever. Try Bud Light and maybe you'll calm down some. biggrin.gif

You're either better connected than I am or you're presenting assumptions as fact. How do you know they "knew it all too well" that they'd be drafting a QB in round 1?

The only thing I've attacked Bradford on recently is his response to the trade. I'm a fan, look it up. And, who's the "idiot twins?"
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 25 2016, 09:05 PM) *
They don't have a #2 and didn't want to mortgage their future which is probably why they pulled out of negotiations with Tennessee. Sure, they talked about drafting a QB but most of us thought that meant Prescott, Hackenberg, et al.

Not sure about the "cute" remark but whatever. Try Bud Light and maybe you'll calm down some. biggrin.gif

You're either better connected than I am or you're presenting assumptions as fact. How do you know they "knew it all too well" that they'd be drafting a QB in round 1?

The only thing I've attacked Bradford on recently is his response to the trade. I'm a fan, look it up. And, who's the "idiot twins?"

I meant they certainly knew they could draft a QB in round 1....and even then that would not have been a big deal, I think. It was trading all the picks to get to 2. If one of these guys is there at 8 then I don't think Bradford goes nuts because they still have impact picks to help them get better this year and next.

My big problem is not that they will draft a QB or that they traded to move up...it is doing both AND signing Bradford without letting him test the market...that and not expecting a negative reaction.

and Bud products are terrible as a whole.
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 25 2016, 09:16 PM) *
My big problem is not that they will draft a QB or that they traded to move up...it is doing both AND signing Bradford without letting him test the market...that and not expecting a negative reaction.

I thought they let him talk to other teams before they signed him.
Zero
And this seems to seal the argument about Pouting Sam:
There didnít seem to be much frustration in Condonís voice, as he said he understands the Eagles didnít know they would acquire Chase Daniel and a top quarterback prospect when they re-signed Bradford.

So, Sam wants to be the man long term but doesn't want the team to be more interested in it's future than his? He does know that the two teams he's played for have both expended significant resources to put themselves in a position to replace him with what they think will be a better player ... right?
Zero
Here's a reasonable alternate view, Sam's an Oklahoma boy who doesn't get worked up about things the same way us city folk do but truly feels betrayed by what he perceived was a personal commitment from the team. We're used to "it's not personal, it's just business" but I can see where there are people who don't subscribe to that.
The real issue is that the Eagles almost certainly told Bradford that they were going to do everything in their power to win the Super Bowl over the next couple of years, the same way they insisted to McNabb that they were doing everything in their power to get over the hump. With McNabb, the issue wasn't the notion that the Eagles were attempting to replace him. It was the reality that the Eagles used a second-round draft pick to improve the quarterback position rather than using it to improve a position that might have helped their current quarterback and his teammates win football games in the immediate future.

Now, think about it from Bradford's perspective. Not only did the Eagles pass on the chance to add a blue-chip player who would have helped them compete for the playoffs in 2016, they decided to forfeit three other draft picks that would have had a chance to do the same. That, right there, is where the breach of faith occurred.
I get it, but I'm from the part of the country where there's very few people you trust without having a contingency in place. Maybe Oklahoma hasn't "progressed" to that place.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 26 2016, 11:43 AM) *
Here's a reasonable alternate view, Sam's an Oklahoma boy who doesn't get worked up about things the same way us city folk do but truly feels betrayed by what he perceived was a personal commitment from the team. We're used to "it's not personal, it's just business" but I can see where there are people who don't subscribe to that.
I get it, but I'm from the part of the country where there's very few people you trust without having a contingency in place. Maybe Oklahoma hasn't "progressed" to that place.

Bradford has been in the NFL long enough to know that this is just business, and Condon has certainly been around long enough to let Bradford know what a two year deal means.

There's a tweet doing the rounds at the moment which puts Bradford in his proper context

Danny O'Neil ‏@dannyoneil ∑ 11h11 hours ago

Sam Bradford realizes he's the primary reason that the #Rams and the #Eagles are both in the market for a long-term QB, right?
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 26 2016, 04:55 AM) *
I thought they let him talk to other teams before they signed him.

and you thought wrong...they signed him at the end of the the "no tampering period"
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Apr 26 2016, 07:45 AM) *
Bradford has been in the NFL long enough to know that this is just business, and Condon has certainly been around long enough to let Bradford know what a two year deal means.

There's a tweet doing the rounds at the moment which puts Bradford in his proper context

A foolish tweet.....the Rams did not get to be in the position to draft Bradford because of Bradford...they got there because they were and are a screwed up organization and that is the reason their last winning season was in 2002...long before Sam Bradford was in the league....maybe whoever Danny O'niel is dosn't know that little tidbit....lol
Zero
Hmmmm. Let me rephrase, you silver-tongued devil: I thought they gave them permission to talk with other teams which was the basis for the Bradford camp realizing the market wasn't competitive for a veteran QB with average statistics and a history of severe injury.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 26 2016, 09:35 AM) *
Hmmmm. Let me rephrase, you silver-tongued devil: I thought they gave them permission to talk with other teams which was the basis for the Bradford camp realizing the market wasn't competitive for a veteran QB with average statistics and a history of severe injury.

I thought that would happen as well.....but it didn't...Bradford, known for his candor and dislike of media time was clear when he said he told his agent to get the deal done with Philly.

For that he shares in the culpability for this whole mess.
mcnabbulous
This is bs. Condon represents Fitzpatrick and Osweiller. They knew damn well what the market was saying.
Phits
I think the point of the tweet is that Bradford's mediocre level of play (and injury history) has not provided the confidence, for two separate franchises, to feel he is the QB to build around.

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 26 2016, 09:32 AM) *
A foolish tweet.....the Rams did not get to be in the position to draft Bradford because of Bradford...they got there because they were and are a screwed up organization and that is the reason their last winning season was in 2002...long before Sam Bradford was in the league....maybe whoever Danny O'niel is dosn't know that little tidbit....lol

Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 26 2016, 09:43 AM) *
This is bs. Condon represents Fitzpatrick and Osweiller. They knew damn well what the market was saying.

Really? So then Condon would not have told Bradford to test the water with Houston? Interesting...you really believe that?

Oh, wait....Osweiler signed with Houston cheap, right? And he was not in negotiations with Denver...right?

So Condon would not have known there were 2 options for Bradford AND Osweiler, his clients....and Fitzpatrick is still likely to sign with the Jets...

Do you think these things through?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 26 2016, 10:50 AM) *
Really? So then Condon would not have told Bradford to test the water with Houston? Interesting...you really believe that?

Oh, wait....Osweiler signed with Houston cheap, right? And he was not in negotiations with Denver...right?

So Condon would not have known there were 2 options for Bradford AND Osweiler, his clients....and Fitzpatrick is still likely to sign with the Jets...

Do you think these things through?

I think it's pretty clear that Houston had zero interest in Bradford. Which is what I said all along.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Phits @ Apr 26 2016, 02:54 PM) *
I think the point of the tweet is that Bradford's mediocre level of play (and injury history) has not provided the confidence, for two separate franchises, to feel he is the QB to build around.

Correct.

If Bradford is as good as he thinks he is, then the Rams wouldn't have traded him and we'd have signed him to a long term deal rather than trading up in the expectation we can find better.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Apr 26 2016, 12:18 PM) *
Correct.

If Bradford is as good as he thinks he is, then the Rams wouldn't have traded him and we'd have signed him to a long term deal rather than trading up in the expectation we can find better.

The reason the Rams traded him was their lack of desire to count on his knee a 3rd time
Eyrie
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 26 2016, 05:21 PM) *
The reason the Rams traded him was their lack of desire to count on his knee a 3rd time

If he was as good a QB as he thinks he is, they'd have taken the risk.

And that still leaves open the fact that we only offered him a two year deal because we don't believe he is our long term future at QB, so would rather trade up for a roookie.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 25 2016, 06:17 PM) *
The "weasel" is doing what he thinks is the best thing for the long term success of the team.

The weasel is doing what is best for Howie, to prove himself right and to get rid of any legacy Chip may have had here. Obviously. And it will likely backfire, as most self-serving egomaniacal moves do in the NFL.
Zero
Hayes nails it!
TOM CONDON sounded like a man doing a job he didn't want to do.

On Monday, Condon executed a four-minute interview on Sirius XM radio in defense of his client, Sam Bradford, who, earlier that day, began his boycott of the team's voluntary offseason program in the hopes of forcing a trade. Bradford was upset that the Eagles traded from the No. 8 spot to the No. 2 spot and announced they would draft a quarterback; most likely, Carson Wentz.

Condon, as his agent, was tasked to defend it.

In the defense, Condon painted Bradford as a mediocre quarterback who is terrified of competition, is unsure that he will play well and, if he does not play well, is scared that the fans will call for his head.
Bradford decided he would be a short-term guy when he signed a short-term deal. It was his choice. If Bradford were to "play well," he might get an extension; he might not. Furthermore, there's no guarantee he's "out of there." The Eagles could always trade Wentz. That's how Brett Favre went from Atlanta to Green Bay, remember?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.