Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Schefter says Sam wants out
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
mcnabbulous
"Eagles have been informed Sam Bradford wants to be traded and he will not be showing up for their off-season program any longer, per source."

If true, fuck that entitled bitch.

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/724617954986459136
Dreagon
I'm sort of surprised and sorta not. It's probable that the trigger for this was y'all trading up in order to get a QB. He figures his days are already numbered so he wants to go somewhere else where he's got a shot at a longer stay.
But on the other hand it kind of surprises me because with his track record, he is best served by putting up a good body of work with you guys so that other teams will know he can stay healthy and actually perform.
El Cubano
Is there a record for fastest time from signing a contract extension and demanding a trade?
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 25 2016, 11:34 AM) *
"Eagles have been informed Sam Bradford wants to be traded and he will not be showing up for their off-season program any longer, per source."

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/724617954986459136

Really?

Wait til the rest comes out from Schefter..apparently Bradford comes right out and says they straight out lied to him to get him to sign here. I guess Howie thought he would just take it......don't blame him even a little.....
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 25 2016, 11:24 AM) *
Really?

Wait til the rest comes out from Schefter..apparently Bradford comes right out and says they straight out lied to him to get him to sign here. I guess Howie thought he would just take it......don't blame him even a little.....

Oh fuck that shit. If he was paying attention, or at least his agent was, they would have known that the contract he signed was a 1 year deal with an obvious out clause.

The Sam Bradford excuse train is rolling at full steam, I see.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (El Cubano @ Apr 25 2016, 11:56 AM) *
Is there a record for fastest time from signing a contract extension and demanding a trade?

Off the top of my head, I can't answer that, but I would say probably.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 25 2016, 12:29 PM) *
Oh fuck that shit. If he was paying attention, or at least his agent was, they would have known that the contract he signed was a 1 year deal with an obvious out clause.

The Sam Bradford excuse train is rolling at full steam, I see.

So he should just sit back, play 1 year and start over with another team next year.....?

Considering he has had 3 head coaches and 4 OCs maybe he wants to settle down with a team that will give him a legitimate shot to stay in one spot with some continuity....imagine that....and if the Eagles told him they are signing him to be that guy and all he had to do was prove himself than I get him being pissed because no matter how well he plays he is gone after this year. The money they gave him indicates that is likely the case....I am amazed that anyone finds this shocking...
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 25 2016, 11:40 AM) *
So he should just sit back, play 1 year and start over with another team next year.....?

Yes, such is the life of a mediocre, journeyman QB.

Considering he has had 3 head coaches and 4 OCs maybe he wants to settle down with a team that will give him a legitimate shot to stay in one spot with some continuity....imagine that....and if the Eagles told him they are signing him to be that guy and all he had to do was prove himself than I get him being pissed because no matter how well he plays he is gone after this year. The money they gave him indicates that is likely the case....I am amazed that anyone finds this shocking...

What alternatives did you thing he had this past offseason. If any team wanted to commit to him, he wouldn't have signed the deal he signed.

The fact that he signed it indicates the market for him was dogshit. I just want to know what team he thinks is going to want to trade for him and commit to him long term.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 25 2016, 12:44 PM) *
Yes, such is the life of a mediocre, journeyman QB.

What alternatives did you thing he had this past offseason. If any team wanted to commit to him, he wouldn't have signed the deal he signed.

The fact that he signed it indicates the market for him was dogshit. I just want to know what team he thinks is going to want to trade for him and commit to him long term.

and yet the Eagles gave him 35 million over 2 years so apparently they felt that some other team was going to offer him something or they were even more incompetent than you thought and bid against themselves...

You can't argue both sides....they did give him a ton of money.....that is a fact....he had conversations with Pederson and Howie even said he wished Bradford had told him this was the only place he wanted to be because he would have saved him money.

I said before that I did not think he had many options and I was shocked he got what he got from the Eagles but the fact remains that he did so apparently someone wanted him...

But all of that is moot......he did sign here and he and his TE and WR thought it was long term and have acted as such so you can say whatever you like but apparently everyone in that locker room had the impression distinctly opposite of yours and I am guessing they have a much better idea of what was going on.

There are only 3 guys to blame for this mess and neither will wear a uniform this year.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 25 2016, 11:59 AM) *
and yet the Eagles gave him 35 million over 2 years so apparently they felt that some other team was going to offer him something or they were even more incompetent than you thought and bid against themselves...

You really don't get it. It's basically a one year deal with a second year kicker.

You can't argue both sides....they did give him a ton of money.....that is a fact....he had conversations with Pederson and Howie even said he wished Bradford had told him this was the only place he wanted to be because he would have saved him money.

They gave him average starting QB money. I keep saying it and people keep ignoring it. They think he is an average QB and didn't commit to him long-term. How can that be perceived any other way?

I said before that I did not think he had many options and I was shocked he got what he got from the Eagles but the fact remains that he did so apparently someone wanted him...

For average starter money on a one year deal. Just because it's a "ton of money" to you, doesn't mean it's not the going rate for a starting NFL QB.

But all of that is moot......he did sign here and he and his TE and WR thought it was long term and have acted as such so you can say whatever you like but apparently everyone in that locker room had the impression distinctly opposite of yours and I am guessing they have a much better idea of what was going on.

Here is a direct quote from Doug about a month ago. Sorry if Sam is too stupid to have realized what was going to happen, but our interest in drafting a QB early was pretty clear from the get go. Had it happened at #8, would things be much different?

Quote from Doug:
"I don't think that made Brett Favre -- he didn't think about it one bit. And honestly, if you're the starter, who cares? Who cares? Why are you looking over your shoulder, if you're the starter. And that's the way Sam has to approach this. Even with Chase there. And even if we go out and draft a quarterback this year. If you're the guy, you're the guy. You're looking forward and not behind. If you're constantly looking behind, that's a problem."

There are only 3 guys to blame for this mess and neither will wear a uniform this year.

Condon and who else?
SAM I Am
Bottom line:

Whether you agree with the move or disagree with it, we moved up and will draft what we hope to be our franchise QB.

With that being the case, no Sam, you are no longer being looked at as our long-term QB.

After acquiring the #2 pic, if I were the Birds, I would have been looking to trade Bradford without him having to demand it.

At this point in the rebuilding phase, we really have nothing to gain by keeping him around for a year or two, and is there really going to be that much of a drop off from Sam to Chase Daniels?

My only question is, can we get Mark Sanchez back as our #3 biggrin.gif
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 25 2016, 01:04 PM) *
You really don't get it. It's basically a one year deal with a second year kicker.

They gave him average starting QB money. I keep saying it and people keep ignoring it. They think he is an average QB and didn't commit to him long-term. How can that be perceived any other way?

For average starter money on a one year deal. Just because it's a "ton of money" to you, doesn't mean it's not the going rate for a starting NFL QB.

Here is a direct quote from Doug about a month ago. Sorry if Sam is too stupid to have realized what was going to happen, but our interest in drafting a QB early was pretty clear from the get go. Had it happened at #8, would things be much different?

Quote from Doug:
"I don't think that made Brett Favre -- he didn't think about it one bit. And honestly, if you're the starter, who cares? Who cares? Why are you looking over your shoulder, if you're the starter. And that's the way Sam has to approach this. Even with Chase there. And even if we go out and draft a quarterback this year. If you're the guy, you're the guy. You're looking forward and not behind. If you're constantly looking behind, that's a problem."

Condon and who else?

Ok...lets clear up your silly little Average starter money...because every guy in that range is his respective teams long term starter and either you know that and are disingenuous or you are an idiot...look at the list again.....none of the guy sare 1 year bandaids....one year guys don't get 17 million....they get 4 -8 million. Ask Fitzpatrick about average starter money....

So it it is not just a ton of money to me....it is the going rate for the long term starter on an NFL team.

and as far as Brett Favre? again, I am not sure if you are disingenuous or ignorant.....you do realize that Favre had a 10 year contract with Green Bay? So yeah, there was no question that he was the starter because, well, Green Bay could not afford for him not to be...so it is a very poor point and a stupid point made by Pederson....or maybe he has no clue either which makes it even worse.

and even I would never compare Favre and Bradford.....that is insulting to Favre.

D Rock
Like I've been saying since we traded for the #2 pick.

You've got to trade him NOW. We lose all leverage after this season where EVERYONE will KNOW we want the young guy starting.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (D Rock @ Apr 25 2016, 01:45 PM) *

You've got to trade him NOW. We lose all leverage after this season where EVERYONE will KNOW we want the young guy starting.

If he is pushing for a trade then that ship may have already sailed.....

If this was their plan they should have either let him walk in FA or done a sign and trade deal if that was possible.....all they have done is pissed off a locker room or at least their 2 best offensive players....

I am not saying that Bradford is right or wrong to request a trade but I can certainly understand his position.
The Franchise
I don't blame him one bit. Prove yourself while throwing to shit WR's, get an extension, and instead of using a #8 pick to get someone who could actually help you win, you trade the next two drafts for one of two QB's (nobody seems to know which one).

As I've said quietly before, and I'll say loudly now. This organization is a disgrace, and we are never going to win jack shit with Jeff Lurie running the show and his lapdog Howie.
Eyrie
QUOTE (D Rock @ Apr 25 2016, 06:45 PM) *

And his value just dropped.

He's stated he wants out, not that he'd prefer some long term security over a two year deal.

We he lied to? Only in the sense that Roseman didn't tell Bradford that we were trying to trade up to #1 or #2, but that is hardly something to be shared with him. And if we hadn't managed to make that deal then Bradford wouldn't have anything to get worked up about.

He got overpaid by the Eagles for a short term deal with no interest from other teams. He's been in the league long enough to know that NFL means "Not For Long". And if he wants another team then his best move is to play well here in 2016 so that there is demand for him in 2017.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Apr 25 2016, 01:32 PM) *
(nobody seems to know which one).

Literally everybody knows which one. Jesus christ do you even pay attention at all?
The Franchise
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 25 2016, 02:07 PM) *
Literally everybody knows which one. Jesus christ do you even pay attention at all?

Yes the Rams supposedly will get Goff, meaning we get Wentz. It isn't guaranteed by any means though. Will you find some way to excuse all of our recent moves if we end up with Goff? rolleyes.gif
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Apr 25 2016, 02:13 PM) *
Yes the Rams supposedly will get Goff, meaning we get Wentz. It isn't guaranteed by any means though. Will you find some way to excuse all of our recent moves if we end up with Goff? rolleyes.gif

No one thinks we're getting Goff.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 25 2016, 03:16 PM) *
No one thinks we're getting Goff.

au contraire

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-li...-htmlstory.html

And CBS LA was quoted as saying that the Rams are going to take Goff.......

On the radio this morning they mentioned there is a lot of talk going round about the Rams taking Wentz...

I am not saying it is the case but that would be a huge kick in the balls for Howie...I hope it is wrong...I want them to take Wentz at this point...Goff is going to be a slightly better version of Matt Barkley

But there is a growing swirl, likely all rumor, that the Rams are taking Wentz.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 25 2016, 02:45 PM) *
au contraire

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-li...-htmlstory.html

And CBS LA was quoted as saying that the Rams are going to take Goff.......

On the radio this morning they mentioned there is a lot of talk going round about the Rams taking Wentz...

I am not saying it is the case but that would be a huge kick in the balls for Howie...I hope it is wrong...I want them to take Wentz at this point...Goff is going to be a slightly better version of Matt Barkley

But there is a growing swirl, likely all rumor, that the Rams are taking Wentz.

It's funny. I'm seeing the total opposite. Nearly everyone who initially thought there was even a chance for Wentz has now acknowledged it's Goff.

Interestingly, the dude saying Wentz from the LA Times also wrote a big Wentz piece. Page views pay the bills.
Phits
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Apr 25 2016, 01:09 PM) *
With that being the case, no Sam, you are no longer being looked at as our long-term QB.

Thank the heavens above biggrin.gifj

After acquiring the #2 pic, if I were the Birds, I would have been looking to trade Bradford without him having to demand it.

Cleveland threw a monkey wrench in the plans by signing RG3 an throwing their support behind him. Had that not happened we likely would not have made the move to #2. Once that happened Howie & Co. had another option to play.

At this point in the rebuilding phase, we really have nothing to gain by keeping him around for a year or two, and is there really going to be that much of a drop off from Sam to Chase Daniels?

The problem all along is that the team has been very vocal about this not being a rebuilding phase. Had they just come out and said that the team is going to have a major overhaul and told they fans to have patience while their plan was put into motion....expectations would have been low (like mine are) and none of these moves would be looked at as an effort to win anything but a few games.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 25 2016, 04:27 PM) *
It's funny. I'm seeing the total opposite. Nearly everyone who initially thought there was even a chance for Wentz has now acknowledged it's Goff.

Interestingly, the dude saying Wentz from the LA Times also wrote a big Wentz piece. Page views pay the bills.

I agree that there was almost an "all in" on Goff...until today.....they discussed it on both radio stations (I hate commercials) as I switched around on them.

It may be nothing but it was more than just the LA Times.

It would be par for the course though
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 25 2016, 12:24 PM) *
Really?

I haven't read the rest of this thread, but so far both what I've heard on the radio and what I've read here is reactionary and illogical at best.

First, wasn't Bradford signed before the Eagles moved up to #8? Isn't it plausible that the Eagles had no thoughts of moving to #2 and declaring their intent to draft a QB before they signed Bradford. Isn't it reasonable that they thought Bradford was their best option next year, and if he proved himself, for the foreseeable future?

Second, unless I'm mistaken, the man will be making about $18 million. I understand that he's disappointed and feels used but probably 99.9% of the world would have an ear-to-ear grin being used like that.

Third, the essence of professional sports is competition. Feeling slighted should bring out his competitive juices and he should relish going out on the field and proving the Eagles wrong. Oh, he could get injured? That would be unique for him ... he's still a wealthy man probably beyond anyone any of us knows or hopes to know.

Everyone knows what happened ... amazing how so many people in no way connected with any NFL franchise have clairvoyant powers. I'm in awe. One problem with humanity is our propensity to judge others. I understand the talk shows, it's about schtick, ratings and money. Howie is an easy target. His job is to do the best for the Eagles, his mistake was assuming Bradford and his agent would act like responsible adults.
Reality Fan
First...you are talking about competitive athletes that 99.999 of people cannot perform like so leave what "normal" people might think about his paycheck because that is completely irrelevant.

Second...you have limited assets...you damn well should be expected to plan how you use them beyond 3 weeks....They moved from 13 to 8, not from 28 to 8......the Rams went from 15 to 1......even if we went from 13 to 2 we should have paid less than the Rams did.....instead we paid more to go from 8 to 2 and if you add in the move from 13 to 8 we really overpaid. That is piss poor planning.

You don't need to be clairvoyant...you need to have a plan. You can adapt to changes along the way but you but you don't scrap a plan before it even starts and you have invested heavily in it.

I apologize, I am looking at this from a logical management perspective......you are right. This all makes great sense. Howie is doing a fantastic job. He has made great friends in Cleveland. Maybe he is planning on following Banner's career trail.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 25 2016, 04:13 PM) *
the Rams went from 15 to 1......even if we went from 13 to 2 we should have paid less than the Rams did.....instead we paid more to go from 8 to 2 and if you add in the move from 13 to 8 we really overpaid. That is piss poor planning.

Uh, I don't think this is right.

Titans receive from Rams:
1st round pick (15 overall)
2nd round pick (43)
2nd round pick (45)
3rd round pick (76)
1st round pick in 2017
3rd round pick in 2017

Browns receive from Eagles:

1st round pick (8th overall)
3rd round pick (77)
4th round pick (100)
1st round pick in 2017
2nd round pick in 2018

So assuming you count the 2nd in 2018 as a 3rd in 2017 (which is usually how those types of scenarios are thought of), the Rams gave up two second round picks compared to our one fourth round pick this year, as the difference.
Reality Fan
Sorry...I thought Maxwell and Alonzo were traded as well.....great...now we don't have to find a long term starter at CB...whew...
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 25 2016, 04:28 PM) *
Sorry...I thought Maxwell and Alonzo were traded as well.....great...now we don't have to find a long term starter at CB...whew...

Do you think those guys were both worth two second round picks? Especially considering Maxwell's bad contract. Or don't you care about cap space/money?

It's pretty apparent that not many people thought Maxwell was a long term answer at CB.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 25 2016, 05:33 PM) *
Do you think those guys were both worth two second round picks? Especially considering Maxwell's bad contract. Or don't you care about cap space/money?

It's pretty apparent that not many people thought Maxwell was a long term answer at CB.

Apparently someone did because they accepted the trade.....and it does leave a hole in the secondary....I was not a Maxwell fan but then I hated the DC and his philosophy and how he used his secondary.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 25 2016, 04:42 PM) *
Apparently someone did because they accepted the trade.....and it does leave a hole in the secondary....I was not a Maxwell fan but then I hated the DC and his philosophy and how he used his secondary.

Accepted what trade? We didn't get two second round picks for those guys. We moved up from 13 to 8. And unloaded Maxwell's contract.

Most people applauded Howie's ability to get anything for them.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 25 2016, 06:01 PM) *
Accepted what trade? We didn't get two second round picks for those guys. We moved up from 13 to 8. And unloaded Maxwell's contract.

Most people applauded Howie's ability to get anything for them.

I applaud him for it....but those 5 spots equated to a high 3rd round........those are assets we used to get Wentz...I guess in some bizarro world you could say it wasn't but the fact remains we gave up out starting corner and a backup LB to get him...it also means that is a spot that we need to fill.

And I still applaud the move but he tried to get picks and Miami said no...which is pretty bizarre but there you go...

And I have not even gotten to the 2nd round pick for Bradford that is now a wasted move.
mcnabbulous
So we are still talking about the difference of at least a second round pick.
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 25 2016, 05:13 PM) *
First...you are talking about competitive athletes that 99.999 of people cannot perform like so leave what "normal" people might think about his paycheck because that is completely irrelevant.

Second...you have limited assets...you damn well should be expected to plan how you use them beyond 3 weeks....They moved from 13 to 8, not from 28 to 8......the Rams went from 15 to 1......even if we went from 13 to 2 we should have paid less than the Rams did.....instead we paid more to go from 8 to 2 and if you add in the move from 13 to 8 we really overpaid. That is piss poor planning.

You don't need to be clairvoyant...you need to have a plan. You can adapt to changes along the way but you but you don't scrap a plan before it even starts and you have invested heavily in it.

I apologize, I am looking at this from a logical management perspective......you are right. This all makes great sense. Howie is doing a fantastic job. He has made great friends in Cleveland. Maybe he is planning on following Banner's career trail.

You're ignoring the most relevant part of my point, that Bradford was signed before the deal with Miami was consummated. Bradford was signed on 3/1 and the trade with Miami was on 3/9 as was the trade with Tennessee. Please explain how Howie knew he'd have the opportunity to move up to #2 more than a week before he had #8. As I'm sure you know, things change. What Howie told Sam on 3/1 necessarily changed after he was able to move Alonzo, Maxwell and then Murray. These moves were thought to have been impossible.

The "logical management perspective" is to do what is necessary for what you perceive to favor the long term success of the business (team). I suggest that's exactly what Howie did and that Bradford and his agent are whining about it. I also suggest he be quiet and do what's necessary to prove Howie made a monumental mistake.
D Rock
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 25 2016, 11:08 PM) *
You're ignoring the most relevant part of my point, that Bradford was signed before the deal with Miami was consummated. Bradford was signed on 3/1 and the trade with Miami was on 3/9 as was the trade with Tennessee. Please explain how Howie knew he'd have the opportunity to move up to #2 more than a week before he had #8. As I'm sure you know, things change. What Howie told Sam on 3/1 necessarily changed after he was able to move Alonzo, Maxwell and then Murray. These moves were thought to have been impossible.

The "logical management perspective" is to do what is necessary for what you perceive to favor the long term success of the business (team). I suggest that's exactly what Howie did and that Bradford and his agent are whining about it. I also suggest he be quiet and do what's necessary to prove Howie made a monumental mistake.

Spot on.
mcnabbulous
Agreed. I can't believe there's even debate amongst our fanbase about what we may have "owed" to an underachiever who has made more money than almost anyone who has ever played the game.

If Jeff, Howie and Doug believe acquiring Wentz is in the best long-term interest of the franchise, they owed it to the fans to do exactly what they did.

Whether you believe Wentz is the answer or not, I'll never understand fans who don't appreciate the aggressiveness of our leadership.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 25 2016, 07:08 PM) *

I did not miss your point at all...they were gambling already with Bradford....I freely admit that...but they made a choice to take that gamble after making the decision to retool and get ready to win right now....

That is called a plan......but both parties knew that if Bradford had a mediocre year he was likely done. Then Howie decided midstream that he will take another gamble, arguably a much larger one and go after Wentz. What he should have done, if he was not sold on giving Bradford a shot then he should have waited...let the market play out his value.

Because you know what happened before Bradford signed on 3/1? They had this thing called the Combine.....you know, where Wentz threw and ran and all that other neat stuff and Howie and Dougie were there....

And you know what happened on 1/30? The damn Senior Bowl......and guess who played there?

So yeas....I think it was pretty damn bad planning because apparently you think that Goff or Wentz suddenly appeared after Bradford signed his contract.....and the Eagles were at 13 that whole time....so yeah, they could still have moved up and used Bradford's money to sign a bigger name FA at a position of need...

I am not ignoring shit, I am telling you your point omits a whole hell of a lot of important dates where Wentz and/or Goff were on their radar or should have been
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 25 2016, 06:58 PM) *
so yeah, they could still have moved up and used Bradford's money to sign a bigger name FA at a position of need...

Who do you have in mind?

By all accounts, we had a pretty solid free agency period where we filled lots of holes without making any obscene signings that have plagued us (and other teams) in recent years.
Phits
You seem to be having a hard time grasping the fact that Bradford was the contingency plan.

Here's a date for you: Mar 24, 2016

That's the day that Cleveland decided that they weren't drafting a QB. That's the day that trading for the #2 draft pick became a viable option. Up until that point most people (including you) thought that the Browns would not be willing to trade their pick.

That's the day that all plans became subject to change.

The Eagles made no secrets about doing their due diligence and having private workouts with QB's they were scouting. They were relatively transparent.

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 25 2016, 07:58 PM) *
I did not miss your point at all...they were gambling already with Bradford....I freely admit that...but they made a choice to take that gamble after making the decision to retool and get ready to win right now....

That is called a plan......but both parties knew that if Bradford had a mediocre year he was likely done. Then Howie decided midstream that he will take another gamble, arguably a much larger one and go after Wentz. What he should have done, if he was not sold on giving Bradford a shot then he should have waited...let the market play out his value.

Because you know what happened before Bradford signed on 3/1? They had this thing called the Combine.....you know, where Wentz threw and ran and all that other neat stuff and Howie and Dougie were there....

And you know what happened on 1/30? The damn Senior Bowl......and guess who played there?

So yeas....I think it was pretty damn bad planning because apparently you think that Goff or Wentz suddenly appeared after Bradford signed his contract.....and the Eagles were at 13 that whole time....so yeah, they could still have moved up and used Bradford's money to sign a bigger name FA at a position of need...

I am not ignoring shit, I am telling you your point omits a whole hell of a lot of important dates where Wentz and/or Goff were on their radar or should have been

Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 25 2016, 08:04 PM) *
Who do you have in mind?

By all accounts, we had a pretty solid free agency period where we filled lots of holes without making any obscene signings that have plagued us (and other teams) in recent years.

That is a fair question....I would have to go back and look at the timeline and availability....

I thought we did well in FA.....but 35 Million over 2 years buys some pretty good FAs....
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 25 2016, 07:22 PM) *
I thought we did well in FA.....but 35 Million over 2 years buys some pretty good FAs....

We really won't be spending that much.
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 25 2016, 07:58 PM) *

You were either ignoring or avoiding because you didn't address it.

You've said it was expensive (too expensive?) for them to move from 8 to 2 but you seem to be saying they could have moved from 13 to 2? I'm confused.

Are you suggesting the Eagles knew they would make the trades with Miami and Tennessee before they signed Bradford? If that was the case, I'll agree with you but I don't think they did ... but, I don't know. If Howie decided "midstream" to take another gamble isn't that reacting to a changing environment? How is that lying to Bradford as apparently he has claimed they did?

Wentz and Goff didn't just appear and I don't think anyone thought that. The point is that from 13 there wasn't a realistic opportunity to get either of them. There wasn't much of a chance from 8 either before Cleveland decided to trade out or if one of them dropped that far. Remember, the Eagles pulled out of dealing for #1, ostensibly because it was too steep a price. Plans change when the environment changes ... but you know that.

I don't get your apparent anger with this. Look back, I've been a Bradford supporter and still am other than his juvenile reaction to this. I have this sinking feeling that they would have been better off staying at 8 and taking an OL or something. I still don't know if this will prove to be a good trade, but I can't beat up Roseman for trying and I don't think Bradford should either.

This is a CHANCE for the Eagles to get a stud QB who can help them for another 10-15 years. I suspect it's not just Howie but his scouts that are telling them this guy is that important. If that's the case can you blame them for pushing Bradford aside?
Reality Fan
No...I have said they could have moved up from 13 to 2

and the Maxwell deal was negotiated at the Combine before the Bradford signing...something Howie has joked about because the Eagles , the Titans and the Dolphins were aside of each other...so they did know that they were moving up.

I forget what Howie called them in his presser....the neighbor deals or something like that.

They were anounced to start the new league year.
Joegrane
I agree with Zero.

The odds of making a deal or deals to go from 13 to 1 or 2 are very small. I bet Howie was betting that Sam would be his QB. However, his coaches liked Wentz so he made an effort to get him.

I suppose the presence of Bradford helped the Eagles in their negotiations with Cleveland. This is unlike Denver's unenviable position--over a barrel! However, I would not say the Eagles "used" Sam. They had to be assuming he would most likely be their starter.

Every year when teams "pick the best player available" a veteran is going to feel unappreciated. The team is not necessarily targeting the veteran; an irresistible rookie became available. I think that is what happened here.

It is understandable that Sam is disappointed. I also don't blame Sam for not showing up for the remainder of the optional workouts before the draft. Do they really want him there? He'll be a distraction.

If he is not traded before or during the draft he'd be wise to show up at the post-draft workouts. He'll want to get off to a fast start in what is essentially a contract year.

I think we'll hear a professional tone from Bradford after Condon's spin doctors finish coaching him.

"Sam was very happy with his contract," Condon said. "Then Chase Daniel came. And no one could foresee (the Eagles) trading to No. 2."

QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 25 2016, 04:54 PM) *
First, wasn't Bradford signed before the Eagles moved up to #8? Isn't it plausible that the Eagles had no thoughts of moving to #2 and declaring their intent to draft a QB before they signed Bradford. Isn't it reasonable that they thought Bradford was their best option next year, and if he proved himself, for the foreseeable future?

Second, unless I'm mistaken, the man will be making about $18 million. I understand that he's disappointed and feels used but probably 99.9% of the world would have an ear-to-ear grin being used like that.

QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 25 2016, 11:34 AM) *

Eyrie
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Apr 26 2016, 03:57 AM) *
"Sam was very happy with his contract," Condon said. "Then Chase Daniel came. And no one could foresee (the Eagles) trading to No. 2."

Ouch.

Bradford was very happy with the level of commitment that a two year deal showed him, despite all the talk that the Eagles would take a mid-round pick to develop.
mcnabbulous
It also sounds like he was unhappy that Daniel was signed. What a bitch this guy is.

Seriously, now I know why this guy has been a failure. He's entitled, he's afraid of competition, and he clearly believes he better than he really is. What a bust.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 26 2016, 09:31 AM) *
It also sounds like he was unhappy that Daniel was signed. What a bitch this guy is.

Seriously, now I know why this guy has been a failure. He's entitled, he's afraid of competition, and he clearly believes he better than he really is. What a bust.

Did Condon say that? I heard the interview...when he mentioned Danials there was no indication that it was a sticking point....that it was an issue with Bradford.

Where did you get that it was an issue? Did you hear the interview? Didn't Bradford show up with Daniels?

The situation is bad enough without creating stuff to make yourself feel better...
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 26 2016, 08:36 AM) *
Did Condon say that? I heard the interview...when he mentioned Danials there was no indication that it was a sticking point....that it was an issue with Bradford.

Where did you get that it was an issue? Did you hear the interview? Didn't Bradford show up with Daniels?

The situation is bad enough without creating stuff to make yourself feel better...

I'm not making it up. Have seen a few people speculate based on the interview:

https://twitter.com/lesbowen/status/724923299524935680
El Cubano
How great would it be if both Eagles QBs for this past season ended up in Denver this coming season? With Sanchez being quoted saying how badly he wants this starting job, only to be competing with Bradford for the #1 spot again.
Joegrane
But with Bradford's health history Sanchez is likely to start some games.

I'd love to see it just to help settle the debate about Bradford's abilities.

QUOTE (El Cubano @ Apr 26 2016, 12:41 PM) *
How great would it be if both Eagles QBs for this past season ended up in Denver this coming season? With Sanchez being quoted saying how badly he wants this starting job, only to be competing with Bradford for the #1 spot again.

Zero
BAM!
There’s another potential solution, one for which it may simply be too late. Bradford can engage in a frank, candid assessment of his NFL career to date (which has generated fewer than 15,000 passing yards in six seasons) and fully commit himself to becoming “the guy” by playing so well that the next guy can’t get onto the field — in 2016, 2017, or ever.

Even if the Eagles eventually feel compelled to play inevitable No. 2 pick Carson Wentz in order to justify trading up for him, Bradford’s performance will prompt another team to truly embrace him as “the guy.”

Consider how other quarterbacks in similar situations have handled such circumstances. Did Kurt Warner, who signed with the Cardinals in 2005, try to talk his way out of Arizona when the Cardinals made Matt Leinart a top-10 pick in 2006? Or did Warner simply bust his ass, earn his playing time, ultimately win the job, and take the franchise to its first ever Super Bowl?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.