Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trying to find a bright spot so...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Birdwatcher
Reading and listening to reactions to this move I think I see what they are hoping for...

First, some nimrod team desperate for QB actually takes Bradford, long shot if you ask me.

Second, Daniels becomes Pederson of 99 while the draft pick 'learns' on the sideline, yeah ok.

Some have suggested this was also Howie showing Chip how to really to get up to #2, but the reality is last year the price would have been far higher for the top two QBs. The only reason How-boy climbed so high this year is that both QBs have big ???, he could not have gotten this high last year.

Part of me, the loyal Eagles fan, wants this to work, but another more pragmatic part wants all this to blow up in Howie's face and force Lurie to can his ass. I am usually optimistic, but Howie just annoys me and I have no faith in him at all. Hope they prove me wrong.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Apr 22 2016, 03:29 PM) *
Reading and listening to reactions to this move I think I see what they are hoping for...

First, some nimrod team desperate for QB actually takes Bradford, long shot if you ask me.

Second, Daniels becomes Pederson of 99 while the draft pick 'learns' on the sideline, yeah ok.

Some have suggested this was also Howie showing Chip how to really to get up to #2, but the reality is last year the price would have been far higher for the top two QBs. The only reason How-boy climbed so high this year is that both QBs have big ???, he could not have gotten this high last year.

Part of me, the loyal Eagles fan, wants this to work, but another more pragmatic part wants all this to blow up in Howie's face and force Lurie to can his ass. I am usually optimistic, but Howie just annoys me and I have no faith in him at all. Hope they prove me wrong.

Actually...when you look at the total cost it is more expensive to get Wentz than it was to get Mariota....it cost a lot more than just the picks
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 22 2016, 10:42 PM) *
Actually...when you look at the total cost it is more expensive to get Wentz than it was to get Mariota....it cost a lot more than just the picks

My point was simply that last year no deal would have moved you up to two, the ratings of Winston and Mariotta were too solid for either team to pass on taking them, no matter what the price was...short of a king's ransom anyway.

BTW, you do mean what Chip supposedly offered, because no deal was ever made, highlighting my point.
nephillymike
The reason the cost would have been more was that both teams at 1 and 2 wanted and needed a QB.

That wasn't the case this year.

It is that unknown situation in future years that made this more of a must do.

Most years the bad teams at the top need QB's. This year not so, thus the opportunity.

I think once we get rid of Sam for a pick, making the net cost of the deal less in picks and real money and cap money, people will cool to the idea.

By November we'll be chanting "We want Carson" from the drunk upper levels of the Linc.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 22 2016, 11:45 PM) *
The reason the cost would have been more was that both teams at 1 and 2 wanted and needed a QB.

That wasn't the case this year.

It is that unknown situation in future years that made this more of a must do.

Most years the bad teams at the top need QB's. This year not so, thus the opportunity.

I think once we get rid of Sam for a pick, making the net cost of the deal less in picks and real money and cap money, people will cool to the idea.

By November we'll be chanting "We want Carson" from the drunk upper levels of the Linc.

and yet we spent more to get to 2 than we would have to get to #1 last year when you look at the total cost

This was a lot more expensive than just pics....brutally expensive and it isn't over yet....
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 22 2016, 11:15 PM) *
and yet we spent more to get to 2 than we would have to get to #1 last year when you look at the total cost

This was a lot more expensive than just pics....brutally expensive and it isn't over yet....

I think people fell to much in love with the move up from 13 to 8.

Two things,by use of our 2nd round pick, the Rams moved ahead of 8 with the value of that pick and then shoved it up our ass by using it to get to one.

From MIA POV, if they feel they got a better than average CB and a borderline starter/significant backup at LB, then five spots in the draft crap shoot is a small price. They are not going to play him at press corner. Imagine that!

The other thing that shocked me. We paid a higher premium for the #2 pick than Rams paid for #1. That was unHowie like. He normally does well in the value tally.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 22 2016, 11:45 PM) *
Most years the bad teams at the top need QB's. This year not so ...

I'd argue that there's a strong possibility that Cleveland does need a QB. RG3 has the talent but I think the Armadillos in Waco have his head. They either think they have their QB or believe they will still suck and get a shot at whatshisname next year using the Eagles' picks to build up the rest of the roster. I actually think the deal makes sense for both teams.
Eyrie
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 23 2016, 05:26 AM) *
I think people fell to much in love with the move up from 13 to 8.

I think I was the lone voice wanted us to trade back from #*, and would have preferred the Dolphins second even at the cost of our fourth to the actual deal done.

QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 23 2016, 10:49 AM) *
I'd argue that there's a strong possibility that Cleveland does need a QB. RG3 has the talent but I think the Armadillos in Waco have his head. They either think they have their QB or believe they will still suck and get a shot at whatshisname next year using the Eagles' picks to build up the rest of the roster. I actually think the deal makes sense for both teams.

Agreed. The Browns will have plenty of ammunition if they need to move up next year given that they'll have two first round picks.
Zero
Still looking for the bright spot? Here's something:
"He still needs that snap-to-snap consistency, you see little little hitches here and there in his dropbacks. But the polish is there for the most part. He's been well-coached. You can't fool him up on the board either. We gave him a play [at the combine], wiped it off the board right away, fired off about 15 questions to him in the next 12 minutes and had him give it back to us, progression and all. 'Well, what if the safety rotates right before the snap? What if it's man? Cover-3?' He knew what to do. It was like he had run the play 50 times.” — AFC quarterbacks coach
Zero
And this:
Most likely, the ultimate cost of the move from thirteen to two will range anywhere in value between an eighth overall pick and a mid-third round pick. Not too bad. Given the franchise has no Super Bowl titles, the expense applied to the future seems relatively minimal.

And there is some truth to this:
Just think it’s a little funny how the Eagles haven’t won a championship in 56 years but trading for Wentz could “set the franchise back.”
Zero
Just call me Xerox:
1. Los Angeles Rams: Jared Goff, QB, California
There’s no question that Goff is the more impressive quarterback on tape, between him and Wentz. His decision-making, movement skills in the pocket and creative playmaking ability are similar to Aaron Rodgers, just without the same level of arm strength that Rodgers has. He had to play against better competition with a lesser team around him. Some of the concerns over his hand size (just over nine inches) and gripping the football go away when he’s playing in L.A. as opposed to Cleveland, but he still will have to win important football games in places like Seattle. He’s the guy most ready to play in his first year, which is important for the Rams’ organization given their relocation – they’re selling tickets, luxury boxes, energy. They’re not going to be able to go 1-15 while they develop a quarterback, they’re going to need to win games now, and Goff lets them do that.

2. Philadelphia Eagles: Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State
The Eagles are in the opposite situation with Wentz as the Rams are with Goff. Wentz has the size to hold up well in the weather conditions of the NFC East, along with incredible potential and upside that may take a few years to develop, but that’s not as big an issue for Philadelphia with Sam Bradford and Chase Daniel there. (Although I can’t possibly imagine that all three of those guys are still going to be there by opening day). I don’t think Wentz has quite the run skills of Cam Newton, but he wont be far behind, as he is a big powerful guy who will be as productive of a runner as he wants to be and as the team lets him be. That rushing ability will serve him well as he develops as a quarterback.
Zero
Coffee anyone?

I know there's the other side to all of this, but it's so much more fun looking at the positive side. You guys who are foaming at the mouth and having stomach cramps may be right, but what good will it do you? I don't care if you tell me in two years that I'm an idiot. I already know it. I'm the happy idiot who won't tell you in two years how wrong you are. laugh.gif
Reality Fan
It is not that I hope I am right......and all the cutting and pasting of a clown like Brandon Lee Gowton does not help your cause lolol....it just is that we spent a ton of assets AND cap space to move up to get Wentz (who I admit seems like an impressive individual from everything I have read and watched). The bottom line for me is that a great QB without a cast to support him is nothing and the examples of this are plentiful.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.