Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - R.I.P. Prince
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Phits
David Bowie, Glenn Frey and now Prince. Losing any of these artists in any calendar year would be compelling, losing all three within the first four months of a calendar year is shocking. This is not to downplay any life loss, because all life is precious.

I was lucky enough to see Prince in concert on 3 seperate occassions. The first time I was too young to appreciate the artist and was upset that he didn't perform more of his hits. The second time was in 2005 at a small venue called the Rivoli. It was a Wednesday night and I was having drinks with a vendor. A local artist had just completed their set and we all expected a break when the MC acknowledged Prince was in the audience and invited him up to the stage. He performed a solo song with acoustic guitar and then invited the previous band on stage to help him out with the next few. It was amazing. That was probably the band's claim to fame. Most recently (MAR25) at show here in Toronto. It was a last minute concert, that was announced just the week before. As a result of the buzz he added a second night to the show. I made it to the second night. Ironically he did a cover of Bowie's "Heroes" that was brilliant.

Prince was a self taught musician who was rumored to play dozens of instruments. And he played them well. Best of all was his guitar playing.

Pop superstar PRINCE has died at the age of 57. His body was discovered at his Paisley Park home in Minnesota early on 21 April.

Prince, whose real name is Prince Rogers Nelson, suffered a medical emergency earlier this month that forced his private jet to make an emergency landing in Illinois.

He became an international superstar in 1982 after his breakthrough album 1999 and was most famous for hits including Purple Rain, When Doves Cry and Kiss. His music career spanned more than three decades and he won seven Grammy Awards, sold more than 100 million records and won an Oscar for Best Original Song Score for Purple Rain.

The singer, who was just 5ft 2ins tall, was in the process of writing an untitled autobiography which was due to be published in 2017.
mcnabbulous
Truly a magician. Definitely a huge artistic loss.
HobbEs
David Bowie, Glenn Frey and now Prince. Losing any of these artists in any calendar year would be compelling, losing all three within the first four months of a calendar year is shocking. This is not to downplay any life loss, because all life is precious.

Don't forget Maurice White. He was the driving force behind Earth, Wind & Fire. Man, we've lost some talent this year...
Pila
I can't claim to be his biggest fan, but his talents and range of music were undeniable. In 2010, he showed to one Lisbon's annual Rock festivals to perform "Fado" with Ana Mouro - a young rising "Fadista" - just to demonstrate how vast and wide his talents and interests took him.

While I celebrate no death, real rock stars experience life at lightspeed - his 57 years of life are probably equivalent to 3 lifetimes for most people. His legacy is proof of a long, fulfilling life.

nephillymike
QUOTE (Phits @ Apr 22 2016, 10:11 AM) *

I was lucky enough to see Prince in concert on 3 seperate occassions. The first time I was too young to appreciate the artist and was upset that he didn't perform more of his hits. The second time was in 2005 at a small venue called the Rivoli. It was a Wednesday night and I was having drinks with a vendor. A local artist had just completed their set and we all expected a break when the MC acknowledged Prince was in the audience and invited him up to the stage. He performed a solo song with acoustic guitar and then invited the previous band on stage to help him out with the next few. It was amazing. That was probably the band's claim to fame. Most recently (MAR25) at show here in Toronto. It was a last minute concert, that was announced just the week before. As a result of the buzz he added a second night to the show. I made it to the second night. Ironically he did a cover of Bowie's "Heroes" that was brilliant.

Prince was a self taught musician who was rumored to play dozens of instruments. And he played them well. Best of all was his guitar playing.

Thanks for sharing. I had never seen that video.

They mentioned yesterday that a while ago someone asked Clapton how it felt to be the greatest living guitar player. He said I don't know, ask Prince.

That was a great version of one of my favorite Beatles songs of all time.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 22 2016, 10:55 PM) *
Thanks for sharing. I had never seen that video.

They mentioned yesterday that a while ago someone asked Clapton how it felt to be the greatest living guitar player. He said I don't know, ask Prince.

That was a great version of one of my favorite Beatles songs of all time.

That's the crazy thing about Prince. He's as talented as the very best at multiple instruments. Like I said, a magician.

And yeah, that's the best Beatles song, written by the most under appreciated Beatle.
nephillymike
Sitting here on this site, doing some draft stuff and listening to the White Album on Spotify as we speak.

Already got done Meet The Beatles and Abby Road tonight.

If my draft stuff was as efficient as my Beatles listening, I'd be much further along!

"with a couple of kids playing in the yard of Desmond and Molly Jones"

OG Vadal Alexander, LSU, s/b there in the 3rd

RF was wrong again!!!

See, I can multi task, Beatles, Draft, RF bashing duel.gif
Phits
This is what the concert was like a few weeks ago. One magical man on the stage playing music we all loved. He would alternate between acoustic and electric guitar, piano and even bongos.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.