Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Here's what happens when we trade 1st rounders.
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
HobbEs
Okay kids, I Googled a list of us giving up 1st round picks and here's what I found. It's actually not as bad as I thought...

2014 - Traded a 1st round pick to Cleveland for a 1st and a 3rd. Drafted DE Marcus Smith.

2012 - Traded a 1st, 4th and 6th to Seattle for a 1st. Drafted DT Fletcher Cox.

2010 - Traded a 1st and two 3rds (complex trade). Drafted DE Brandon Graham.

2009 - Traded a 1st and a 6th to Cleveland for a 1st. Drafted WR Jeremy Maclin.

2008 - Traded a 1st (2008) a 4th (2009) and a 6th (2010) to Buffalo for T Jason Peters.

2007 - Traded a 1st round pick to Dallas for a 2nd, 3rd and 5th. Drafted QB Kevin Kolb and LB Stewart Bradley.

2003 - Traded a 1st and 2nd to San Diego for a 1st. Drafted DE Jerome McDougle.

1997 - Traded a 1st and a 5th to Dallas. Drafted DE Jon Harris.

Not listed is the Ron Solt deal in which I also believe we gave up a 1st round pick.
D Rock
Not as bad as you thought?

We "hit" on 3 of 8. That's pretty bad in my estimation.
HobbEs
QUOTE (D Rock @ Apr 21 2016, 10:16 AM) *
Not as bad as you thought?

We "hit" on 3 of 8. That's pretty bad in my estimation.

Sorry, I forgot the sarcasm tags...
HobbEs
I also forgot the Mamula deal. We gave up a 1 & 2 for him. Those two picks we gave up turned out to be Warren Sapp and Derrick Brooks. Two hall of famers...who would've thunk it?
Eyrie
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Apr 21 2016, 05:00 PM) *
I also forgot the Mamula deal. We gave up a 1 & 2 for him. Those two picks we gave up turned out to be Warren Sapp and Derrick Brooks. Two hall of famers...who would've thunk it?

I know what would have happened if that deal hadn't taken place.

Lifelong Bucs megastar Mamula would be in Canton and I'd have seen Sapp and Brooks playing in NFLE as they attempted to pretend they still had a chance of making an NFL roster.

We're just jinxed that way.
nephillymike
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Apr 21 2016, 08:52 AM) *
Okay kids, I Googled a list of us giving up 1st round picks and here's what I found. It's actually not as bad as I thought...

2014 - Traded a 1st round pick to Cleveland for a 1st and a 3rd. Drafted DE Marcus Smith.

2012 - Traded a 1st, 4th and 6th to Seattle for a 1st. Drafted DT Fletcher Cox.

2010 - Traded a 1st and two 3rds (complex trade). Drafted DE Brandon Graham.

2009 - Traded a 1st and a 6th to Cleveland for a 1st. Drafted WR Jeremy Maclin.

2008 - Traded a 1st (2008) a 4th (2009) and a 6th (2010) to Buffalo for T Jason Peters.

2007 - Traded a 1st round pick to Dallas for a 2nd, 3rd and 5th. Drafted QB Kevin Kolb and LB Stewart Bradley.

2003 - Traded a 1st and 2nd to San Diego for a 1st. Drafted DE Jerome McDougle.

1997 - Traded a 1st and a 5th to Dallas. Drafted DE Jon Harris.

Not listed is the Ron Solt deal in which I also believe we gave up a 1st round pick.

Howie can massage a draft board with the best of them. It means nothing if you trade to get Marcus Smith.

BTW, we traded a pick to MOVE UP to get Jon Harris? Are you sure? I don't remember trading to move up to get him. He was 4th round talent. Kiper and Theisman were classic in their cluelessness of that pick that day. A HOF Eagles draft moment.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 21 2016, 09:21 PM) *
Howie can massage a draft board with the best of them. It means nothing if you trade to get Marcus Smith.

BTW, we traded a pick to MOVE UP to get Jon Harris? Are you sure? I don't remember trading to move up to get him. He was 4th round talent. Kiper and Theisman were classic in their cluelessness of that pick that day. A HOF Eagles draft moment.

No...we picked Harris with our own pick....funny story....Harris was also shocked he was picked...he was not even watching....
nd9kel
http://espn.go.com/blog/philadelphia-eagle...-cool-with-that

The Eagles ran into this situation before. In 2007, the Eagles traded down from the No. 26 pick in the first round to the No. 36 overall pick. They drafted quarterback Kevin Kolb to develop as a replacement for the 31-year-old Donovan McNabb.

The Dallas Cowboys took defensive end Anthony Spencer with the Eaglesí pick. Offensive tackle Joe Staley (San Francisco), guard Ben Grubbs (Baltimore), tight end Greg Olsen (Carolina) and linebacker Paul Posluszny (Buffalo) were drafted before the Eaglesí pick at No. 36. Safety Eric Weddle was taken by San Diego one pick after the Eagles took Kolb.

That group of players the Eagles could have taken went to a total of 14 Pro Bowls in the ensuing years. Some are still productive players nine years later.
Joegrane
Thanks for posting the link but I can't say I'm overwhelmed by the author's point.

Teams need a #2 QB. Kolb filled that role for a few years and then the Eagles got a 2nd round pick and starting CB for him. The 2nd rounder turned into to Vinny Curry and Brandon Boykin after the Eagles traded down. That's far from a bust. When they originally traded down for Kolb they also got a LB, correct? He looked pretty promising until injuries mounted That happens. It does not make the trade a bad decision.

Re Sam's attitude. Firstly I won't be concerned about that until it is obvious he will actually play for the Eagles, not Denver. If Sam does stay with the birds, I hope he has his head on straight. Will he make audibles that he thinks will be good for him or for the team? Will his attitude in the locker room be professional or corrosive?

QUOTE (nd9kel @ Apr 21 2016, 09:43 PM) *
http://espn.go.com/blog/philadelphia-eagle...-cool-with-that

The Eagles ran into this situation before. In 2007, the Eagles traded down from the No. 26 pick in the first round to the No. 36 overall pick. They drafted quarterback Kevin Kolb to develop as a replacement for the 31-year-old Donovan McNabb.

The Dallas Cowboys took defensive end Anthony Spencer with the Eaglesí pick. Offensive tackle Joe Staley (San Francisco), guard Ben Grubbs (Baltimore), tight end Greg Olsen (Carolina) and linebacker Paul Posluszny (Buffalo) were drafted before the Eaglesí pick at No. 36. Safety Eric Weddle was taken by San Diego one pick after the Eagles took Kolb.

That group of players the Eagles could have taken went to a total of 14 Pro Bowls in the ensuing years. Some are still productive players nine years later.
Zero
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Apr 21 2016, 10:39 PM) *
Re Sam's attitude. Firstly I won't be concerned about that until it is obvious he will actually play for the Eagles, not Denver. If Sam does stay with the birds, I hope he has his head on straight. Will he make audibles that he thinks will be good for him or for the team? Will his attitude in the locker room be professional or corrosive?

Unless Sam is a bigger piece of shit than Cutler he'll do his best. First, he's supposed to be super competitive plus he'll be working for a huge payoff. This is a professional resume he's working on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.