Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ram's Blockbuster: Implications for Eagles
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Joegrane
So now that the option to trade up to #1 is gone, what can we expect from the Eagles?

Howie has been purging the Eagles of Chip's guys. Will he do something crazy to try to get rid of Chip's QB?

If it was not for Howie's ego, I'd assume Sam B to be under center for the foreseeable future. I think Sam will be okay with a decent supporting cast, as long as he stays reasonably healthy.

Will they try to trade up for Goff? They'll likely be competing with Chip's 49ers, maybe other teams for Goff.

Do they trade down and pick Lynch or wait until later rounds for a developmental QB?

Will they pick BPA @8?

Could Kaep and Bradford stay with their teams forcing Denver to start Mark Sanchez?!
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Apr 14 2016, 12:54 PM) *
So now that the option to trade up to #1 is gone, what can we expect from the Eagles?

Howie has been purging the Eagles of Chip's guys. Will he do something crazy to try to get rid of Chip's QB?

If it was not for Howie's ego, I'd assume Sam B to be under center for the foreseeable future. I think Sam will be okay with a decent supporting cast, as long as he stays reasonably healthy.

Will they try to trade up for Goff? They'll likely be competing with Chip's 49ers, maybe other teams for Goff.

Do they trade down and pick Lynch or wait until later rounds for a developmental QB?

Will they pick BPA @8?

Could Kaep and Bradford stay with their teams forcing Denver to start Mark Sanchez?!

Help me out here...because you seem obsessed with some really crazy stuff....

First....Is Howie obsessed with getting rid of "Chip's guys" or did he get rid of bad contracts and under performing players?

You are constantly mentioning getting rid of Bradford yet Howie signed him to his big contract yet you ignore that out of hand in all these fantasies about trading him.....all born out of, I can only surmise, and off hand mention on PFT about a normal NFL clause in contracts about a pay date that has long since come and gone.

to be fair...give me one example of Howie's ego on display....which move has he made that seems ego driven vs. a sound football move?
D Rock
The word here in L.A is that the rams will be taking Goff not Wentz.

Zero
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Apr 14 2016, 12:54 PM) *

Will they pick BPA @8?

I think we're dealing with some assumptions here:
1. Howie purging Chip's guys. I think it's more about him trying to settle the cap and keep players that fit the schemes and are anticipated to perform.
2. Howie's ego. I'm not convinced that Howie is working from an ego base or if his banished season was truly a time of learning and that he's trying to build a core to build on.
3. That the team is focused on drafting a QB in round one. I think they'd probably like to if it doesn't cost them too much, but I'm betting (hoping?) they have Plan "B", "C" and "D" ready in the wings.

JMO
Joegrane
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 14 2016, 01:14 PM) *
Help me out here...because you seem obsessed with some really crazy stuff....

After the craziness in the front office of the Eagles the past few years, nothing would surprise me.

First....Is Howie obsessed with getting rid of "Chip's guys" or did he get rid of bad contracts and under performing players?

You could argue both ways.

Do you really think Murray will perform this year the same or worse than he did last year?

Alonso was coming off injury and had a better rookie year than Nelson A.

Don't misunderstand, I never wanted the Cowgirl in the first place. I also was okay with the trade proposed by someone in the media that would have sent Murray to the Rams for N. Foles--in Daniel's role.

I was okay with the idea of cutting or trading Alonzo if they needed another mil$ in cap space, even though it would have been selling-low. I think he'll bounce back and be productive.

You are constantly mentioning getting rid of Bradford yet Howie signed him to his big contract yet you ignore that out of hand in all these fantasies about trading him.....

That's not because I think they should. I think Bradford will be a solid QB and can be QB on a team that makes a deep run into the playoffs. I just don't trust Howie.

The contract is essentially a very reasonable one-year show-me deal that almost forces a team--Eagles or trade partner--to give him an extension after it. However, instead of the team getting the option for Franchise Tag, the player has leverage due to the salary roughly at Franchise Tag level.

Sam's extension will be based on his performance this year. It is strange, but Sam's situation and the Eagles' situation are not typical. Also if the Eagles are able to land one of the top two rookie QBs, they'd have Sam signed to a contract that would not be prohibitive for a trade. It all makes some sense given the unusual situation.

to be fair...give me one example of Howie's ego on display....which move has he made that seems ego driven vs. a sound football move?

My opinion of Howie has been developing over the years. I don't think Howie is dumb! I just don't know if he can avoid tripping over his ego.

I think he has a loose screw between his ears. However, I believe people can grow and mature. I'm very willing to be wrong about him, however, he'll have to show me. Words mean very little to me, for example,"you can keep your doctor and insurance...blah, blah, blah from the Chicago-style Commie."
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Apr 14 2016, 04:52 PM) *
After the craziness in the front office of the Eagles the past few years, nothing would surprise me.

You could argue both ways.

You could?

Do you really think Murray will perform the same or worse this year than he did last year?
I really don't know....I did not expect him to suck for us

Alonso was coming off injury and had a better rookie year than Nelson A.
Really? You are comparing a LB to a WR?

That's not because I think they should. I think Bradford will be a solid QB and can be QB on a team that makes a deep run into the playoffs. I just don't trust Howie.

My opinion of Howie has been developing over the years. I think he has a loose screw between his ears. However, I believe people can grow and mature. I'm very willing to be wrong about him, however, he'll have to show me. Words mean very little to me, for example,"you can keep your doctor and insurance...blah, blah, blah from the Chicago-style Commie."

But you avoid the question....What has Howie done since he returned that seems spiteful or ego driven?

Clearly Murray, Alonzo and Maxwell was about clearing out 3 guys who under-performed of which 2 were grossly overpaid.

Is Ryan Matthews still on the team?...did he look to cut any of Kelly's draft picks?

Howie has one of the best offseasons in recent memory and this is what you see....that he is petty and vindictive and that Sam Bradford is on his way to Denver.....

Bizarre stuff....what size tinfoil hat?......lolol

Phits
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 14 2016, 05:12 PM) *
But you avoid the question....What has Howie done since he returned that seems spiteful or ego driven?

Wasn't it you that pointed out, Howie never really left? That he was assembling his dream team ... all while undermining the Kelly regime. According to Kelly, he never negotiated contracts. That was all Howie's responsibility. He directed Howie to the players he wanted and told him to make it happen.

Seems to me that the weasel was hard at work ever since he was 'ousted'.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ Apr 14 2016, 07:47 PM) *
Wasn't it you that pointed out, Howie never really left? That he was assembling his dream team ... all while undermining the Kelly regime. According to Kelly, he never negotiated contracts. That was all Howie's responsibility. He directed Howie to the players he wanted and told him to make it happen.

Seems to me that the weasel was hard at work ever since he was 'ousted'.

If you want to quote me get it right....I said he brought back the 2 personnel guys that Kelly booted so that gave him some continuity.....when he brought them back is unclear but it was obviously for personnel/scouting issues.

Your 2nd point is an interesting one...it depends on what you think Kelly tells the truth about and what he does not. Some of Kelly's comments at the time of the signings tells a very different story. It was certainly not a healthy situation but if Howie was undermining Kelly it would have shown itself far earlier and Kelly is not a shrinking violet, he would have addressed it.

I do believe at some point Lurie and Howie discussed the situation and developed a plan B if Kelly was failing. When that occurred and what it entailed I can't tell you but it likely took place. Beyond that I don't think Howie had the juice to do much of anything.
Zero
Just as a footnote to this conversation:

Yesterday on 97.5 there was a discussion between Gargano and Baldinger (I think) about Kelly and how he fits in SF. Baldy said he had a contact in the organization that told him 1. that between the two power brokers in the organization, one wanted Kelly and the other didn't want anything to do with him; and, 2. that Kelly is already wearing thin and dividing the organization. The guess was that he could be a one year hire. ohmy.gif
Zero
It's here too ...
" ... I continue to hear Chip Kelly is more enamored with trying to resurrect Blaine Gabbert's career than he is with any of the perceived top quarterbacks in this draft ... "
nd9kel
Of course. Chip can plug ANY QB into his system and succeed, remember?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Apr 14 2016, 03:22 PM) *
The word here in L.A is that the rams will be taking Goff not Wentz.

Yeah, I saw that Sam Farmer said definitively that it was for Wentz. Then almost everyone else said Goff.

Goff seems like the safer choice, whereas Wentz seems like he has more upside. Both are pretty risky though.
The Franchise
QUOTE (nd9kel @ Apr 15 2016, 11:22 AM) *

The way he used to cut off reporters right at the last word of their question and then talk really fast, what a genius!

laugh.gif
Joegrane
Maybe Chip got to know Gabbert somewhat from trying to recruit him to Oregon. Maybe Chip felt the personalities worked. With Chip you know how important that is.

QUOTE (nd9kel @ Apr 15 2016, 11:22 AM) *
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.